Categories > Anime/Manga > Digimon

Still Young Enough

by tsuchi 1 review

drabble. Later, Takeru wouldn't know where the idea had come from, but at the time, it had been obvious. The origins of Angemon.

Category: Digimon - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Other - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-07-07 - Updated: 2007-07-07 - 561 words - Complete

0Unrated
Still Young Enough


Later, Takeru wouldn't know where the idea had come from.

Takeru/ watched the screen, blinking from his position on the floor. He didn't want to be here. Sure, he mostly fit in, with his blonde hair and blue eyes, but his name and his words and his skin marked him as Japanese born. Everyone else spoke with rough accents that he didn't understand, and usually broke off into excited English chatter that he understood even less./

At the time, of course, it had seemed obvious: monsters were bad. They hid under beds and in closets and frightened you just when you were trying to be a good boy and go to sleep. Monsters didn't protect you.

The animated asparagus, tomato and cucumber danced across the screen, tracked by his eyes. He didn't actually understand what they were saying, but he could guess well enough. /Monsters were bad, God was good. What a weird concept./

Not that Patamon was a monster. Tokomon hadn't been either. But Devimon was, and Ogremon, and even Garurumon and Greymon were a little scary. They made him think of the Earth History museum his class had taken a field trip to - the one with dinosaurs and saber tooth tigers. Worst of all had been Skullgreymon, who, he might have figured if, later, he could remember where the idea had come from, proved his point.

Not the monsters were bad part. The 'God' part. Why would mom want to go to an American church anyway? Much less ones filled with teachers whose Japanese was as bad as Takeru's English, and kids who always made Takeru play alone, because they couldn't explain the rules to him in Japanese.

He wasn't sure he wanted Patamon to evolve into a monster like that, not even a good one.

Bored, his gaze drifted away from the screen, and over to the stain glass windows. Amelia, one of the girls in the Sunday school, had explained to him in halting Japanese that he looked like one of the angels in the window. At least, that's what he thought she'd said. He couldn't really see any resemblance.

So maybe it had just been because Patamon was Patamon. Or maybe it had come from the peculiarities of a child's belief: the belief that Takeru had held for ever and ever. Monsters were bad, angels were good. If you're fighting a devil, then you want an angel.

If he had a choice, though, he'd want to grow up to look like one of the angels in the window. They were all blonde and blue-eyed, like him, anyway. And one of them, that his eyes kept returning to, had hair down to his waist, six wings and a scepter that he was rising his above his head.

Maybe that was where Angemon and Angewoman had come from. Maybe Takeru and Hikari were just old enough not to believe that monsters were always evil, but still young enough to believe in angels.

He didn't look quite real, that angel, but when he'd asked about it, the teachers had all told him the same thing: that was one of the seraphim, one of the highest orders of angels, who protected the land and its entire people, and he was very real. So he could put his faith in God, because God would protect him from monsters.
Sign up to rate and review this story