Categories > TV > Bonanza > The Substitute

After School with Mr. Richardson

by Little_Joes_Stalker 1 review

Joe stays after school

Category: Bonanza - Rating: R - Genres: Angst, Drama - Warnings: [R] [Y] - Published: 2005-12-05 - Updated: 2005-12-05 - 548 words

2Original
Chapter Two: After School with Mr. Richardson

After Hoss left, Mr. Richardson locked the door, and walked toward Joe.

"Why'd you lock the door, Mr. Richardson?" asked Joe.

Mr. Richardson grabbed Joe and kissed him full on the mouth.

*

An hour and a half later, Joe rode his pony home. He decided he didn't like Mr. Richardson. He didn't like what Mr. Richardson had done to him, either. He wanted to tell what happened, but Mr. Richardson said he'd hurt him if he did, so he decided not to tell anyone about it.

*

At home, Joe arrived in time to help Hoss finish their chores. With Adam at college, there were more chores to do.

"How come you're home so late, Shortshanks?" asked Hoss.

"No reason, Hoss. We just went later than I thought," said Joe.

"Oh, alright," said Hoss, "I told Pa Mr. Richardson wanted you to stay after school."

"Oh," said Joe.

*

At supper, Ben asked, "What did Mr. Richardson want, Joe?"

"Oh, well, he...uh...just...talked, Pa," said Joe.

"Oh. Was that all?" asked Ben.

"Yeah," said Joe, "that was it."

*

When Joe went to bed that night, he took his picture of Marie off his bedside table, and held it in his hands.

"I miss you, Ma," he said.

Little Joe longed for the comforting hug of his mother. She could make him feel better without having to know what was wrong.

*

The next morning, Hoss had to wake his brother up. After Hoss had awakened Joe, Joe told him he didn't want to go to school. Hoss went downstairs.

"Pa, Little Joe says he don't wanna go to school," said Hoss.

"You sit here and have breakfast," said Ben.

*

Ben went upstairs to Joe's room.

"Joseph, you are going to get dressed, eat breakfast, and go to school with your brother. Now," he said.

"But I don't wanna," whined Joe, "don't make me go, Pa."

"You are going and that's final, young man," said Ben.

*

"Little Joe, hurry up. We're late enough as it is, and I don't wanna be any later," said Hoss.

Joe was riding his pony as slow as he could. He didn't want to be any earlier for school than he had to be.

"I still don't wanna go to school," muttered Joe.

"I know ya don't, but ya don't hafta make me as late as you," said Hoss.

*

"You're late, boys," said Mr. Richardson, when Hoss and Joe finally made it to the schoolhouse.

"Sorry, Mr. Richardson," said Hoss.

"Well, hurry up, and find your seats," said Mr. Richardson.

"Yes, sir," said Hoss and Joe.

*

Joe didn't play with anyone at lunchtime that day; he just sat next to Hoss by a tree. Mitch tried to get him to play a few times.

"No, thank you, Mitch," said Joe, "I just wanna sit here with Hoss."

*

After lunch, Mr. Richardson asked Joe to stay after again. Joe agreed, even though he didn't want to, in fear of what might happen.

*

That evening, Joe returned home at the same time he had the previous day.

"Joe, why does Mr. Richardson keep seein' ya after school fer? You don't do nuthin' wrong," said Hoss.

Joe shrugged.

"I don't know, Hoss," he lied, "I guess he just likes my company."

*****************
Sign up to rate and review this story