Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Look For The Boy with a Broken Smile

[[01.]]

by zildjian1039 5 reviews

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2007-07-10 - Updated: 2008-12-28 - 898 words

0Unrated
10-7-2005

"Out of EVERY house on our street,the new neighbors have to move in RIGHT next door to us.",I complained.
My mom laughed."What's wrong with something new once in a while?Speaking of that,we're going to get your hair cut tomorrow."
She forced a plate of chocolate chip cookies into my hand.
"You're making me bring them over?!"
"Of course.",she replied,happy as usual."Earlier on I saw a boy that looked about your age carrying in boxes.Maybe you can make a new friend"

The thing is, I've lived in this small,cruddy town outside of Chicago my entire life. I'm not a loser.I have more friends than I need. I've had many neighbors move in, and just as many move out. Nobody wants to live in this shithole town and if I had my way, I'd be gone too. By the way, I'm Allie. I'm an only child. I live with my parents, I'm 17 and I play volleyball and do other teenager stuff. I promise you there's nothing special about me.

I figured it wasn't worth arguing over...my mom always wins. I put my jacket on, tugged my hat down over my ears and bounded out the front door down the steps. "Why does she have to be so friendly..."I muttered,among many other complaints of my mom's hospitality as I walked down the familiar sidewalk to the house next door. I took my frustration out on the door, knocking hard and sending some paint chips fluttering to the ground. "Oops" I said under my breath, with a sarcastic eye roll to follow.
"PATRICK,HURRY UP AND GET THE DAMN DOOR.WHAT'S TAKING YOU SO LONG?",a deep voice boomed through the empty house.
Jesus, and I thought I was an angry person.
I heard scuffling. I sat there tapping my shoe against the metal rail,realizing for the first time how cold it was.
The door creaked open,revealing an..interesting looking boy about my age,with medium length reddish-brown hair,wearing a worn out newsboy hat.
He looked at me like Santa had shown up at his door or something.
After a moment of silence,I just held out the plate,saying "Hey...uhm my mom sent me over with these...we live next door.Just a little welcome to the neighborhood gift."
The boy adjusted his hat and a slight smile swept across his face.
"Well thank you,that's very nice of you",he stumbled slightly over his words.
I decided that due to his lack of people skills, and his pale skin this was the first time he had seen the light of day.
He took the cookies.
I also decided he was cute-ish. Though much different from the football players I usually date.
"I'm guessing you'll be going to Park Ridge." I thought about ending the conversation and retreating back to my house to head off to Starbucks with my friends,but something unexplainable kept me on the creaky wood panes of the porch."I'm Allie, by the way"
"I'm Patrick...I'm sure you heard my dad yell it loud enough",he muttered,rolling his eyes a bit."Yeah,I'll be going there."
I sort of felt bad for the kid so I decided to be nice.
"Nice to meet you Patrick.I'd be glad to show you around the neighborhood and tell you about the school and such.It's a good school,I think you'll like it." I lied. Our school is full of shallow people that only like you if you're wearing trendy clothes and driving sports cars
A bigger smile swept his face."Thanks.I'd love to.This is like the third time we've moved,it's hard getting used to new-"
His sentence was cut short,when the deep,disgusted voice cut in.
"PATRICK!GET THE HELL IN HERE AND FINISH UNPACKING THE KITCHEN STUFF,WHAT DID I TELL YOU ABOUT MESSING AROUND?"
Patrick hung his head,embarassed."I'm coming,Dad.",he yelled back.
He picked at the peeling paint on the door,eyes still fixed on the ground."I'd better go.It was nice talking to you."
I glanced into the house.There were boxes piled everywhere,and I saw the owner of the voice sitting on a beat up couch watching the TV with a pile of beer bottles next to him.
"Same to you.I'll see you around.",I said in almost a whisper.I took a look at Patrick's face,his green eyes looked like they ached with hurt.I turned away and walked slowly toward my house. The sound of a screen door shutting came from behind me and I could hear more muffled yelling.
I honestly didn't think I was going to end up feeling bad for this kid, but I did. Nobody's parents should treat their kids like that. And anyways, if there is a God , why does he decide that some people have to live like that...it isn't fair.
I felt my pocket vibrate-it was my friend Alexis that I was supposed to meet at Starbucks.I silenced it,and continued home slowly,kicking leaves along the way.My still mind couldn't dispose of the images of the battered door,the pile of beer cans,and mostly,the green eyes that peered from behind the glasses,so full of hurt.
Sign up to rate and review this story