Categories > Games > Zelda > A Shadows Purpose

The Mirror Chamber

by Godofstatic 1 review

Dark Link reminisces about the past.

Category: Zelda - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Ganondorf, Link, Other - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2005-12-07 - Updated: 2005-12-07 - 1413 words

0Unrated
Deep under the waters of Lake Hyila, within the sacred halls of the Water Temple, lays a room simply known as the Mirror Chamber. Used for centuries as a room of self-reflection and meditation. It is said that here you can conquer your inner demons.

Currently, a shadowy figure leaned against the lone tree in the room. He is Dark Link, created from the evil thoughts that rest within the Hero of Times Heart. All the pain, conflicts, and dark desires inside of Link fuse together to create this being of shadow.

Created by Ganondorf from dark magic and the hero's blood, Dark Link was everything the Hero of Time wasn't, including impatient.

"What the hell is taking so long?" He had been waiting in this room for what seemed like weeks. There was no way to measure the passage of time in this room, and it was starting to drive him mad.

"Only when one of you lays defeated will those doors open" Dark Link recalled Ganondorf's words. He had been promised a high position in Ganons army if he destroyed the Hero of Time, but Dark Link didn't really care about that. There were only two things he really cared about at the moment-killing the Hero, and his own freedom. He never liked the idea of serving under Ganondorf, or anyone else for that matter. The idea of being under someone else's control made him sick. The sooner the Hero showed up...speak of the devil.

The door opened quickly and closed just a quickly. A figure clad in green followed by a fairy entered the room. Dark Link watched with a smirk of satisfaction and faded into the shadows.

Walking slowly to the other side of the room, Link examined the only other door in the room. Finding no way to open it, he turned back to the lone tree in the room.

"Link..." said Navi, "Were not alone."

Link looked up at Dark Link, currently resting against the tree. The two opposites stare at each other, examining there counterpart. It was a few minutes before Link finally broke the silence.

"What are you?"

"Link, that's your shadow. A creature created from your dark side." Navi replied.

Link seemed shocked at such an idea. He had never been one to think of himself as even having a Dark Side.

"That thing...came from me?"

"Will you two stop talking about me like I'm not here? It's not like I can't here you."

Dark Link stepped forward drawing his sword, making his way toward the Hero.

"I've been waiting a long time for this Hero..."

Without warning, Dark Link rushed at Link with his sword, but found himself easily blocked by the Master Sword.

"Pretty good Hero, but I guess that's to be expected."

Link retaliated with an attack of his own, but Dark Link matched him with the same move, blocking the attack. From that moment on begin one of Link's most challenging battles. Each move he made his Dark self countered perfectly, leaving almost no opening for the Hero to take. Link was becoming frustrated, while Dark Link seemed to be enjoying the fight immensely.

"Face it Hero, you just can't beat me. I'm too strong for you."

"I don't understand! How can you be my dark side? I'm nothing like you!

Dark Link chuckled as he blocked another one of Link attacks. "Were more alike then you'd think Hero. Whether you care to admit it or not, I've been inside you for a long time."

"That's not true! I've always tried to do what's right!

"You may not have acted on them, but the thoughts were still there."

Link stabbed forward with his sword and Dark Link jumped into the air, landing gracefully on the master sword.

"You missed."

Dark Link back flipped off the sword and disappeared in the air, literally. Link looked around, trying to find him. Soft chuckle caused him to turn around and face Dark Link once more.

"Tell me Hero, do you remember that time back when you were still living in Kokiri Forest?"

"What are you talking about?" Link readied himself for another attack, but Dark Link just stood there.

"Come on now, you must remember it! You were standing on that bridge and Mido threw a mud ball in your face! Then when you were on your knees he kicked you in the butt!"

"Yeah, and then I got up and ran away, so what?" Link was starting to grow annoyed.

"That's not all you did Hero. Do you remember what you were thinking at that moment?

"....No, I don't"

"Hmph, liar. You don't want to admit it, but you wanted to hurt him. You wanted him to off that bridge and get taught a lesson, and deep down, you hoped that the fall would kill him."

"I was just a kid! Those thoughts mean nothing!" Link charged at Dark Link, only to have his attacked blocked once more.

"You think it ends there? Oh no. Remember what you wanted to do to Ingo after you saw how he treated Malon? Beat him senseless then chop off his head if I recall."

"Shut up!" Link swung at Dark Link again, and as usually Dark Link countered it. After a few swings, Dark Link disappeared again, only to reappear behind the Hero. Link just barley managed to avoid his sword, taking a slash across his back in the process.

"How many times have you wanted to give up on your quest and surrender to what you know is inevitable? How many times have you wanted to leave Hyrule and never return? Admit it. You hate how the Fate has forced you into your role of Hero of Time." Dark Link spoke while slowly fading away. Link found himself looking around the room again, searching for him.

"Damn it" Link thought. "If I don't finish this fight soon I'm a dead man" Link backed up slowly towards the tree, stopping when he heard a familiar voice.

"Allow me to put you out of your misery Hero." Link looked up in time to see Dark Link jump off from the top of the tree, sword raised ready to strike down the Hero.

"Got to time this just right..." Link quickly started to charge his sword full of magic, readying his next attack. Dark Link noticed this at the last minute. Unfortunately, it was a minute to late. Link unleashed the spinning sword attack, sending a wave of magical energy directly at Dark Link.

"AAAAAAHHH!" Dark Link went flying thought the air, dropping his sword in the process. Getting up he saw Link charging at him not with the Master Sword, but with the Megaton Hammer. All he could do was block the hammers blow with his shield as Link advanced, raining blow after blow. A noticeable crack was starting to form in Dark Links shield, and he knew he couldn't keep this up forever.

"Damn it! If I can just...GAH!" Dark Links thought were cut short as he felt a crushing blow land at in his side. He staggered backward, fell to knees, and coughed up black blood, a lot more than he was comfortable with.

"Son of a bitch..." Dark Link looked up at the Hero of Time once more before falling to the ground. As his body faded away, so did the waters of the Mirror Chamber, and the bars on the door lifted. Link took one moment to reflect on the moment, and then continued on his journey, Ruto couldn't save this temple on her own!

Link didn't notice the Dark figure appear in the room, clutching its side and still coughing up blood.

"Damn you Hero...cough you think this is over? When I get fixed up..."

"I'm afraid it is over, for you."

"What?" Dark Link eyes widened as a familiar voice echoed in his head. Ganondorfs.

"You have failed in your mission to destroy the Hero of Time. I cannot abide this."

"Give me another cough chance! I can still kill him!" A hint of panic entered Dark Link voiced as he grabbed his fallen sword. "I can still...!"

"I have no use for worthless creations."

The ground seemed to open around Dark Link feet and he could feel himself being pulled down into the darkness. As the darkness surrounded Dark Links struggling body, one thought was running through his mind.

"YOU BASTARD!"

Then everything went black.
Sign up to rate and review this story