Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Changing Hearts, And Eyes

Chapter Two: Common Sense

by glo316 0 reviews

Confusion for the girl...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Draco, Harry, Hermione, Ron - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-12-13 - Updated: 2005-12-14 - 1594 words

0Unrated
Chapter Two: Common Sense

The next morning at breakfast, Ron was sat across from Harry.
'Harry, have you done that essay for Snape?' Ron said as he forked more bacon onto his place.
'So you can copy it?'
'Yeah. I don't understand what he goes on about.'
'Me either, but I haven't done it yet. I was going to do it later, but I don't see how it will make a difference. He has it in for me.'
'Do you think Hermione has done it?'
'Ron, I don't think she'll let you copy.'
'Maybe I can get her to help.'
'Why don't you ask her now, here she comes. Hey Hermione.' Harry said with a little wave.
'Good morning Harry.' Hermione said brightly as she sat down, 'good morning Ron. This is Latasha.' She said motioning to the other side of herself where Latasha stood, 'Latasha, meet Harry and Ron.'
At that moment, Ron swallowed hard only to realise the smirk on Harry's face. He knew what he was thinking and had no chance to prove him wrong. His nerves were taking control and he was rendered speechless as Harry and Hermione conversed with Latasha.

Later in Gryffindor common room, Ron tried to explain to Hermione the reason he kept quiet during breakfast.
'She makes me nervous.' He said squirming in his armchair.
'How do you expect ask her out if you can't engage yourself in simple conversation with her? She's incredibly nice.' Hermione said with her quill in hand and a piece of parchment beneath it, writing as she spoke. Sometimes flicking through a textbook to find information.
'I know she's nice - she's really nice. It's 'cause I like her.'
I like her. I like a lot. There's something...I'm not sure what it is. She's different. Ron thought to himself.
'Actually I'm surprised Malfoy would date such a nice girl. Especially someone in Gryffindor-'
'I'm surprised she'd date Malfoy. Hasn't she heard 'bout his family? And he's in Slytherin.' Ron said cutting Hermione off mid sentence. The portrait hole opened and Harry appeared. He walked over, dropped his bag on the floor and collapsed in a near armchair. The coffee table that was in front of the chairs were covered with Ron and Hermione's bags, plus a few extra quills and parchment and textbooks.
'Harry, how did it go?' Hermione asked.
'Detention was the usual. Ron, Have you finished Snape's essay?'
'Yeah. Hermione checked it for me too.' Ron picked up his bag and fished through it for the right piece of parchment, 'here you go.'
'Thanks.' Harry said taking out a quill and parchment to start writing his essay.
'Hi!' said a voice.
Ron looked to the source, to find Latasha Gorodin standing inches away from him.
'How are you?' she said.
Ron stared at her for a moment, then nodded his head when he realised she was staring straight back at him with a confused expression on her face.
'We're fine, just finishing off homework. Latasha how are you?' Hermione said.
'Great. You don't mind if I sit with you, do you?' She asked, her eyes still in Ron's direction.
'No, it's fine.' Harry replied
'Thank you so much, Harry, right?' and he nodded, 'It's just that I don't know many people. Well people in Gryffindor.'
'You know us.' Hermione stated.
Hermione quickly finished her work, and then sat with Latasha talking. Ron fumbled with his fingers whilst not taking his eyes away from his hands.
Why did she stare at me like that? She asked me how I was. Maybe she does like me. Maybe she doesn't. She could've been being nice. She is sitting next to me, on the arm of my chair. I can smell the scent of...what is that - ice cream? She smells like vanilla ice cream.
Hermione left for a few minutes, which left Latasha with Harry and Ron. Ron was still quiet, trying as best he could not to lower the sound of sniffing noises that made it obvious he was smelling her. Harry on the other hand, decided to jump into conversation,
'I heard you're going out with Malfoy?'
'Yeah, I am.' she replied. Looking dumbfounded.
'He hates Gryffindors.' Harry said, making a point.
'No he doesn't.'
The portrait hole opened and inside came Hermione clutching a book, which had no doubt come from the library.
'Latasha, Malfoy's outside. He said he's waiting for you.' Hermione said with a bitterness spike in her tone. She turned to look at Ron and Harry, 'I hate how he always calls me a 'filthy mudblood' it really antagonizes me.'
'I told you he hates Gryffindors.' Harry added.
'I'll ask him about that later. But, what's so offensive about the word 'mudblood'? And what does it mean?' Latasha asked, regardless of the strange looks she got from the three. 'What?' she asked innocently.
'A mudblood is a muggle born witch. Like me.' Hermione stated.
'Muggles? What are muggles? I've heard Draco joke about muggles with his friends, but I don't know what they are.'
'Muggles are people with no magical powers. How come you don't know this?' Hermione again answered like she had read it from a book.
'I don't live in the wizarding world.' Latasha said.
Throughout these questions Ron held his head up, listening. Wondering how she didn't know such common information. It had never occurred to Ron as to when he first laid eyes on her.
'When did you join Hogwarts?' were Ron's first words in Latasha's presence. She glanced at him along with Harry and Hermione, before answering,
'I started this year.'
'I didn't know you could start Hogwarts at any other time than in the first year.' Hermione said.
'Me either.' Harry added.
'It was special circumstances.' Latasha replied humbly. Ron had asked one question, and from that question he had gotten more of an answer than any other. He noticed a change in her. Her eyes once more seemed to have changed colour, a shade of soft blue turned to grey.

That night Latasha was sat in her dormitory writing in her diary in the dark. Her fellow roommates were all asleep and her eyes had now changed to those that belonged to a cats'.
Dear diary,
Hermione Granger introduced me to her friends today, Harry and Ron. Ron's the one who I've seen staring at me. I thought he was just being weird, but I think I'm beginning to like him. Yeah, I'm with Draco, I've been telling myself that all evening. But I don't know. When I was sitting with Harry and Ron, Hermione came in and told me Draco was outside, and that he called her a 'mudblood'. As far as I know, that's an insult, but I don't see Draco saying that. Well...I guess there was that time when he put that spell on that boy who was just passing by. That was really mean. Or when that girl cried because he wouldn't let her stay in the Slytherin common room because he wanted us to have some time alone. I guess it is possible that Draco hates Gryffindors. That's what Harry told me, but then why would he be dating me?

Breakfast next morning was comfortable. Now Ron had begun to learn how to deal with some of his emotion. There were times, especially in the Great Hall that morning, when Latasha would aim her focus at him.
'Could you pass me the toast?' Latasha said, her piercing purple eyes attached to Ron's blue.
'Here you go.' He said, lifting the rack of toast and passing it to her. Latasha put a couple of slices on her plate and went for the butter with her knife. Ron watched her spread the butter and caught her eye. She returned the favour, keeping her gaze and flashing her teeth as she chewed with a smile.
Is she looking at me? He thought. Her constant gaze made him feel almost uneasy, he checked his face and felt around it for residue of food. He looked down at his plate, then back up to find her eyes watching a girl at the Ravenclaw table receiving a letter by owl. Once Ron's focus was back on his place, Latasha smiled.

Because Latasha had forgotten a book, she decided to head off a little early. Just outside the Great Hall, about to ascend the stairs, she heard someone calling her name.
'Latasha! Latasha wait!'
Spinning around, she saw Draco standing there with his cronies. "What do you want?" she said.
'You're friends with Potter now?' Draco asked.
'So what if I am?'
Draco took a step forwards leaving a gap between Crabbe and Goyle, 'you know how I feel about Potter. I would appreciate it if you didn't hang around with him and his mudblood friends.'
Crabbe and Goyle whispered to one another, giggling like a couple of girls.
'Draco, why do you keep calling Hermione a mudblood?'
'Because that's what she is, a filthy mudblood.' He hissed, his face so close to hers.
Latasha eyeballed Draco with utter distaste. She wanted to tear, but decided to run.

Her petite feet gently sprung off the floor as her robes whipped through the air, while streams of tears fell down her face.
Why would Draco do this? Act like that? Was I wrong to think he was wonderful, loving? I don't know anything anymore. Everyone I've ever loved has lied to me. My mum, my dad, Draco. Latasha thought. Her mind thumped with questions and blood as her body grew tired.
Sign up to rate and review this story