Categories > Cartoons > G.I. Joe > Lifeline's Journal:A Day In The Life Of A G.I. Joe Medic

Chapter 5 PT and Me

by Medic_or_Medic_Lifel 1 review

More of Lifeline's journal

Category: G.I. Joe - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst - Characters: Other - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2005-12-14 - Updated: 2005-12-14 - 1844 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer - Please refer to chapter 1 for all disclaimers.

By ; Medic (medicLifeline)
Rating PG 13

Reviews welcome please let me know what you think.

Thanks to Storm O and Scarlett Phoenix, your help is much appricated.

Chapter 5 : PT And Me


Today started off like so many others, but it had one major difference; it was PT day. Yes...Morning wake up with Beach Head... Who needs coffee when you have Beach Head? I was going to get breakfast, but since it was PT this morning, my stomach quickly changed my mind. There was no way I was going to eat before doing the PT course...I had the misfortune of doing that once, and do not even want to recall what happened....

I woke up as usual, cleaning up and reaching for my PT gear and special shirt that I was issued. Beach Head is a character I tell you. He had issued us all shirts, and we were expected to wear them too. On the back, mine said, "No Steam Steen..." No matter how long my legs are, I tell you, this medic is not the fastest out there. Doc had me beat by a country mile most of the time. I have to laugh; he was always thinking I was lagging behind. Beach Head put "Get out of my way Greer" on the back of his shirt. I think he was trying to make a point.

As I reached the course, I saw many of the regulars in my group already there, wearing their shirts. I laughed. Each time we do this, there is more kidding. I joked a bit with them before having to get serious, knowing our instructor would be there any minute or was even watching us as we stood there in the morning dew as the sun started to come up over the horizon.

Scarlett was there; hers said "Red", and of course, Cover Girl's shirt said "Princess". Shipwreck's shirt was blank on the back; I do not think what Beach Head wanted on the back of it was to be put to print... Dusty's shirt said " Kid " on the back since he is the youngest of the Joe's. Tripwire stood there; his shirt said "OOPS" since once that guy started moving, I swear, unless it is disarming ordinance, he has two left feet. I mean Beach Head came up with so many ideas I was shocked. No one knew the Ranger, had that much of a sense of humor, much less any humor at all.

OutBack's shirt said " Down under". Poor Falcon still cannot shake his reputation from when he first joined the team. Beach Head put in big bold letters across his back "TROUBLE". Sub Zero's shirt said "Likes it cold" while Alpine's said "Cool Breeze". Big Ben's shirt read "Tick Tock", and even Ripcord's shirt had a message on it. It read, "Pull". I swear, I think every member of the team was issued a shirt. Beach Head needs one himself that reads "PT: Master and Commander" on the front and "PT King" on the back. But I never foresee him wearing anything but his standard uniform.

Today was the standard Beach Head motivational run. "Lifeline, can't you move any faster?" or the "Lifeline, for having such long legs, you would never guess you were that lousy a runner, " or "My grandmother can run faster then you...." or even "Do not make me show you how to run this course, Lifeline...." We all ran it and then ran it again. This took up most of my morning; PT with insults, a great way to start the day. But, it went well, and thankfully, not more than.. a few of them ended up with cuts and scrapes. I was relieved, as it made running the course easier than having to deal with the course and injuries.

I do know a few of the people after PT went to Beach Head's locker, and when he opened it, there were about twenty-five different deodorants in there placed by different Joes. I will not forget the look on his face; you could see it behind his baklava, I swear. There have been more then a few Joes informing him of hygiene issues, but he is his own person that is for sure.

After PT, I showered and changed into my uniform. My own locker is pretty neat and straight for the most part. I have a few group pictures of the team hanging in it as "before and after" PT pictures and a sticker that says," Have you hugged a medic today?" Just your typical locker, but there are several who have some scantly clad ladies hanging in theirs. I did have a picture of Bree in mine in that cute swimsuit she always wore, but those days are long gone since our breakup and that picture went out in the trash.

I brought my gear over to the infirmary in a gym bag to take back to wash tonight along with a few other things.

I grabbed a grilled chicken sandwich with a salad for lunch, surrounded by a few of those who ran the course with me this morning. We laughed and joked a bit and were just relieved that PT was over for now. Quickly eating, I finished and excused myself, as the infirmary awaited my presence.

Sitting in my office, I watched as Captain Nurse Shelly took inventory. I may be lead medic, but I still fall in the food chain. I make out the schedules for the people under me now, but she and the other nurses run the show but let the medics do pretty much as they please within limits since we are all well known and trusted for our skills. But for the most part, I am running the infirmary (Infirmary I, the technical term for it); since that was how Carl had it set up. Medics mostly have control in Infirmary I and RNs in Infirmary II since most of the time the nurses were busy with patients in the long-term section of Infirmary II or surgery. Those that require more care or a lengthy stay would reside in Infirmary II, whereas 'out-patient' cases are handled in Infirmary I, where medics mostly are. As long as those beneath me behave and do not open a hornet's nest, things go well. Do not get me wrong, I have had my share of run-ins with the nurses around here also. We usually butt heads every so often, and some things you just have to let go. I, being the type of person not wanting a confrontation, always try to settle it, often in my or Carl's office. The Charge Nurse's office is down the hall from the infirmary.

Captain Shelly is a great nurse. She has a wonderful bedside manner and makes the patients feel at ease. She has been with the Joes for about two years now, arriving right before I did. I can often hear Captain Shelly and the patients laughing. She is quite a comedian when needed, but when it is time to be serious, you had better not even consider anything less then professional at that moment from her. I have seen her make decisions at the drop of a hat, whether it is for herself or in defense of another nurse or even medic, or even when it comes to a patient's treatment. Captain Shelly was recently promoted to Charge Nurse. She not only earned that title but also deserved it. She is well respected by me and all the others. Her blue eyes are always shining with a pride that comes from knowing and doing your job well. Her BDUs are pressed and crisp. (I do not know how she sits down. I swear they have to be stiff from the starch.) Her long, red hair is always pinned up neat in a... what is that... French Braid? I believe or a bun. Sometimes, she lets a few strands fall but tries to push them behind her ear and re-pin them without success. For being, five foot four inches, and if I had to weigh her soaking wet, about one hundred and twenty pounds, she is very strong. I have had her help move patients with me like they were lightweights. Captain Shelly left me a memo that she would also be helping select the new doctor or at least on the panel of Duke, Hawk, and myself. I look forward to working with her on it.

As my day progressed, I had a visitor for a brief moment. It was of all people, Psyche Out. He came by to see how I was faring. I informed him that having been so busy I really could not tell him. I explained that between running my section of the office, dealing with a few new medics, and the duties Carl had often passed off to me, to filling in the schedule, it did not leave me much free time. I was too tired at the end of the day to do much thinking or anything else. I guessed I was doing as good as could be expected since it had only been a few days. Psyche Out asked if I was stressed or felt overworked. I know that is his job, but I believe the look I gave him had the "What? Are you kidding me? After what I just told you." He again asked if I wanted to talk about anything. I politely informed him no. I had my journal just like he ordered. He gave me a look of surprise that I actually was writing in it. I asked why not? Doctor's orders, if it was helping me only time will tell. (I surely did not want to say, "hell yes I am writing in that book to avoid office visits." Somehow, that does not go over well, but just my opinion.) He nodded and told me what time he was to see me in a week. So much for trying to get out of that visit. He left and went on his way to check on the others.

Right before the end of my shift Alpine came in. Seems he was climbing and sliced his hand open. I cleaned and stitched that wound, then wrapped it. Captain Shelly had given me permission from the doc on duty who is a stand by, (and that is all they are, a stand by if you know what I mean!) As for anything else, I pulled his medical record and his shots were up to date. I gave him some discharge instructions and an antibiotic script from the doc and sent him on his way. My shift relief was Sideswipe, and after giving him a rundown, I left.

All in all it was not a bad day. Better close now. I am hungry so dinner waits. Plus I have laundry to do tonight, my uniforms and now my PT gear is piling up. Oh, the exciting life I lead.
Sign up to rate and review this story