Categories > Original > Drama

Memories...

by writing_maniac1321 0 reviews

They drove down the curvy road, like they did every day, but this time the car didn't turn enough on that last sharp turn. The car was flipped, the windshield shattered, the two friends blacked out...

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-07-26 - Updated: 2007-07-26 - 774 words - Complete

0Unrated
The music blasted in their ears as they drove down the road that rainy night. They talked even louder then the stereo and laughed until they cried. They drove down the curvy road, like they did every day, but this time the car didn't turn enough on that last sharp turn. The car was flipped, the windshield shattered, the two friends blacked out. The vague sound of the ambulance rushing towards them rang through her ears. The memory flashed into her head as she picked up the keys to the car, the car she hadn't driven since the accident. She sat down and regained control. She got up and walked out the door.

Her eyes slowly opened, allowing her to see the white ceiling of the hospital. She tried to turn her head and allow her eyes to explore the room, but it hurt her neck to much. The doctor entered the room with a clipboard. She watched his mouth move, she knew he was talking but it was muffled. She strained to understand the words but then he quit talking and the room filled with deathly silence. The hospital bed started to move and she heard the muffled sound of the hospital as they left the room. Then a worried woman came over and tears rolling down her face. Her confused eyes fixed on the woman's loving, teary eyes. Who was that woman, she thought. Then she realized she couldn't remember, and a tear fell from her eye. This memory fled into her mind making her almost fall down. She walked toward the car.

She entered the house with the woman who was supposedly her mom. Her mom pushed her wheel chair into the room that was apparently hers. Her hearing had returned and she learned that she had been in a car accident. She had been in a coma for almost two months. This woman was helping her remember her past, and she wished that she couldn't remember once she did. She kept walking towards the car. She touched the car door.

"I killed her! I was driving! It was my fault!" tears rolled down her face.
"It wasn't your fault, the road was slick. It could have happened to anyone," the therapist's voice was deep and sympathetic.
"It didn't happen to anyone! It happened to me!" she snapped.
"Yes, but -"
"I wish it had killed me instead of her! She was my best friend! I'd known her since grade school!" she cut him off and rolled the wheel chair out of the room."
She opened the door and sat in the car.

She stood in the water and held onto the sides and tried to walk across. She nearly fell down over and over as her legs wobbled under her. She repeated this process over and over. She turned on the engine.

She walked up and stood behind the podium. Then she looked down at the casket of her best friend and tried to push back tears but they still ran down her face. She started her speech only to pause and gulp back more tears. She went on and looked into the pews, seeing her family and friends. Her speech was almost over, but it was too much. She ran through the church, her arm covering her face. She collapsed outside the doors and sobbed. The people in the church heard her but they stayed seated. Her mother walked out of the church and kneeled next to her. She felt her mom's hand on her back as she cried. Nobody said a word the whole time. Tears fell onto her lap when she snapped back to earth. She put her hands on the steering wheel.

"We'll be best friends forever," her friend said, embracing her in a hug. The two six-year-olds skipped inside the school, their arms linked. She started the engine and put her foot on the pedal. I just have to end it, was all she could think. She backed out of the driveway and drove to the curvy road. She sped down it, towards the turn that killed her friend. She imagined her friend in the middle of the road and the car came to a screeching halt. She opened the door and fell out of the car and backed away. She heard a car zooming up the road and she saw the headlights in the dark of the night. It slowed down and the door swung open. Her mom ran out of the car and embraced her in a hug. Tears ran out of both of their eyes. She was alive and
---
The End
Sign up to rate and review this story