Categories > Books > Harry Potter

Magic's End, Magic's Beginning

by herryk 3 reviews

HP/WoT cross. DH Spoilers. After the final battle Harry finds himself in a strange land, with the help of another magical being Harry starts down a dark road seeking truths and gets caught up in e...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Crossover,Drama,Fantasy - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2007-08-12 - Updated: 2007-08-25 - 4713 words

1Original
p{ margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 1px}body{ font-family: "Times New Roman", serif; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal}Disclaimer : I do not own nor will profit financially from this story. I thank J.K. Rowlings and Robert Jordan for letting their fans continue the adventures of their characters in other realms.


Summary : This is a Harry Potter / Wheel of Time cross-over that takes place after /Deathly Hallows /and before /The Eye of the World/. The setting will be in Robert Jordan’s world. If you haven’t read DH yet there will be some spoilers in this first chapter, even though I have altered some of the events. Enjoy and review if you will (we writers love reviews).



Magic’s End, Magic’s Beginning



Chapter One





Harry gripped the invisibility cloak tighter to him as he danced through the melee around him, the centaurs and the wizarding families had pushed Voldemort and his remaining death eaters into the castle, and the scene was utter chaotic. Spells of every color flew in each direction and occasionally a green one would streak past him and into the mass of combatants that surrounded him. The teachers and the students had fallen back into the great hall and where using the tables as a barricade flinging spells out from behind cover, the centaurs were taking the brunt of the damage at the moment as Voldemort was using some kind of flame whip to decimate their numbers. Harry knew for his plan to work most of the remaining death eaters would either have to be killed or at least put out of commission, and that was what he was working on right now.


He spotted Lucius and Narcissa double teaming some of the parents while yelling out the name of their son, frantically looking for him. The opportunity was too good to pass up, as he maneuvered himself behind them. He thrust his wand out and stabbed Lucius in the back before casting the reductio curse, the man's body exploded as his upper half went aloft and landed on some of those he was fighting before. Narcissa screamed as the reality of her husband's death was literally sprayed all over her. Harry ducked and shuffled to his left dodging the killing curse that she had cast in his direction.


"COWARD!! SHOW YOURSELF!!", she screamed as she started to turn in a full circle casting the same spell over and over. Harry had taken cover behind a column and was amazed at the sheer stupidity she was showing. Several of her spells had killed not the defenders, but fellow death eaters. He recognized at least three former Slytherins she had gotten and now Warrington, Pucey, and Montague could be counted amongst the dead. She had just thrown up a shield to deflect a yellow colored curse, when Harry stepped out from behind the column and cast a severing charm at the base of her neck.


A loud explosion caught his attention as he ducked back behind the column, as he looked out he smiled as he saw Hermione and Ginny standing back to back casting banishing and explosive hexes at a knot of death eaters that were threatening to move up the stairs to a balcony that over looked the entry hall. His eyes tracked up the stairs and he saw that a few death eaters had already made it up there, but there seemed to be a few students fighting them off. He was about to come out from his cover when he spied Fenrir Grayback getting ready to leap down the steps and tackle the two girls, when he suddenly stopped and looked down to see a large silver bar sticking out of his chest. As he fell dead, Harry was amazed to see none other than Sibyll Trelawney standing behind him, it was then he recognized the silver stick as one of her prized silver divining rods.


A series of curses struck around the column and Harry knew that his cover was about to be destroyed. Moving down the entrance hall he looked around for another spot he could conceal himself in, finding only the bodies of either defenders or death eaters as he went. In the heat of battle you don't know which side is gaining the upper hand, you only know if those around you are living or dead, it was the one advantage that Harry did have over everyone else today. Wearing the invisibility cloak gave him the precious seconds to look around and judge where and what was happening.


Taking stock and looking around once he found a new spot he gathered as much as he could. Outside the last two giants had fallen to a combination of Hagrid's brother Grawp and the combined forces of the thestrals and hippogriffs, which were now sweeping over the grounds killing anything wearing black robes. What remained of the centaur forces had retreated from the main doors and was helping in the outside battle as arrows hit their targets with deadly accuracy. The battle inside had changed and was considerably more dangerous. Voldemort had moved to a stairwell and was effectively holding off at least a dozen wizards and witches, near his position was the Lestrange family that had formed a pocket inside acubbyhole and was taking out defenders with equal ease, and inside the great hall was Snape surrounded by his seventh year Slytherins and one red headed traitor.


"Avada Kedavra!", a feminine voice had screamed out near him. Harry turned just in time to watch as the love of his life Ginny was falling into a heap on the floor. Hermione turned around just in time to receive the same spell from the girl. Hatred and rage built up in Harry as he raised his wand slowly and took aim at the one girl that he never thought would betray him.


"Now he's going to mine you slags!", Cho Chang yelled at the two corpses on the ground in front of her. She never saw or heard the spell cast, but the golden flames of raw magic slammed into her throwing her across the entrance way, but before she could hit the other side she burned to ash. Tears streaked down his face at the loss of his only best friend and his only girl friend. He lowered his head in grief, but held back his emotions as there was still much to do this day. He turned toward the great hall and noticed that Voldemort and the Lestranges had moved into there, getting ready to claim victory over Hogwarts and with it Britain and the Wizarding world.


Harry walked down the hall littered with the dead, dying and injured. What was left of the defenders of the castle were trying to pull whoever they could away from the great hall and to safety. Under his invisibility cloak he entered the great hall to see the last of those standing on the raised platform that held the teacher’s table. Up there stood the Weasley twins, Molly and Arthur, Neville, Luna, McGonagall, Filius Flitwick, Professor Sprout and Trelawney, the Patil twins, Lavender Brown, and others he either didn't recognize or was too tired to care. Standing before them was Voldemort looking a little worse for wear as someone had hit him with an Incendio and his robes had taken the brunt of the damage, also the Lestranges, Snape, Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, Blaise and his mother, Pansy, Avery, Rookwood, and Ron Weasley. Ron had left Hermione and him while they were hunting the horcruxes, but had returned when Harry found the sword, it was in the woods with Ron holding the sword that he had chosen his path.


(flashback)


They both stood ready to destroy the horcrux, Harry holding the locket on a stump and Ron gripping the sword tightly in his hands.


"Ready? On my count one... two... three... open."


The locket hissed and opened with a snap, within each side behind the glass two red eyes stared up locking with Ron's.


"Stab it!", Harry yelled to Ron as he had seemed to suddenly freeze on the spot. The words cut through the haze in Ron's mind as he raised the sword over his head, with the point facing down toward the locket. Harry gripped the locket tighter, getting himself ready for the possible backlash or blood that would come after.


"I have seen your heart and it is mine.", A voice from inside the locket hissed.


"Don’t listen to it Ron! Just stab it!", Harry yelled back, hoping his friend wasn't going to fall to its enchantments.


"I have seen your dreams, Ronald Weasley, and I have seen your fears. All you desire is possible."


"Stab!", Harry’s voice raw with emotion.


"Least loved, always, by the mother who craved a daughter, least loved, now, by the girl that prefers your friend. Second best, always..."


"Ron don't listen to it! It lies! Stab it!" the locket was vibrating in his grip. He knew something was about to happen, but what he had no idea. Then Ron raised the sword a little bit, and Harry felt relief as he knew his friend was about to plunge the point into the damned thing. Then things went bad, very bad. Suddenly those red eyes seemed to bubble and out from the two sides grew a phantom Harry and a phantom Hermione. Harry had to let go because of the heat the locket was giving off was intense. From the ground behind it, he saw both of the phantoms looking at Ron and before he could even speak, the phantom Harry opened his mouth.


"Why return? We were better without you, happier without you, glad of your absence... We laughed at your stupidity, your cowardice, your presumption."


"Presumption!", echoed the phantom Hermione, she looked dark and her robes cut much higher than normal for Tonks. Ron looked horrified and transfixed, the sword now hanging loosely at his side. "Who would look at you, who would ever look at you, beside Harry Potter? What have you ever done, compared with the Chosen One? What are you, compared with the boy who lived?"


Harry got his voice back and started yelling at Ron, "Stab the damn thing! Hermione loves you!"


"Your mother confessed,” sneered phantom Harry, while phantom Hermione jeered, "that she would have preferred me as a son, would be glad to exchange..."


"Who wouldn't prefer him, what woman would take you, you are nothing, nothing compared to him, "the phantom Hermione said as she cuddled up beside the phantom Harry and kissed him deeply.


Harry watched as Ron's face filled with anguish and anger as he raised the sword again.


"Do it Ron!", Harry called out to his best friend, but he saw the dark emotions carved on his friends face and the red tint now in his eyes, "Ron...?"


Harry rolled out of the way as the blade of the sword came down where he was laying. He sprang up and dropped into a defensive posture as Ron’s head was turned down just a little and he was looking at his through his bangs.


"Lies?", Ron spoke in a low whisper, "I don't think so, everything it said was true." Harry lunged out of the way as Ron swiped the air where his chest was.


"All my life I was second to you... eat your breakfast because Harry Potter would... I bet Harry Potter does his chores... It never ended, my brothers talked about you all the time growing up... even when my sister played house, she was always Mrs. Potter... " He swung again at Harry who jumped to the left to avoid the attack.


"And when I finally meet the Harry Potter what does he do?", the sword arches in the air toward Harry again and he roles away, "He buys all the candy on the trolley showing me just how poor I really was... He gets two...TWO top of the line brooms, while I fly around on a second hand used one... "


Harry sees the red in Ron's eyes are growing and knows that the horcrux is beginning to poses him, he knows he must act fast and now. He rushes forward as Ron is about to strike again, and grabs his upper arms in a blocking move, and kicks out with his right knee striking Ron between the legs. Ron howls in agony and falls backwards to the ground releasing the sword, which Harry grabs a hold of.


Harry looks down on his best friend, his heart breaking because of the perceived hurt he has caused him, though Ron is still muttering about how Harry has everything. Harry never noticed that Ron had rolled closer to the stump that the locket lay upon, until Ron jumped up and grabbed it.


"Maybe not everything...,” Ron said in an evil filled voice, pulling his wand out of his back pocket and aiming it at Harry.


"Avada...,” Ron never finished the spell, somewhere inside of Harry, reflex took over and he spun into Ron raising the sword blade and knocking his wand hand up, and then bringing the blade back down again in one smooth motion, removing the locket and Ron's hand from his arm. Ron bellowed in pain and his hate filled eyes fell on Harry, while he clutched his bleeding arm to his chest. He then apparated away.


(end flash back)


The scene hadn't changed much while Harry thought back, McGonagall now stood in the forefront with the others flanking her wands at their sides but ready, and Voldemort had stepped forward as well, his goons held their wand up pointing at the others.


"Minerva... We don't need all of this violence. You have fought a great battle, but have lost, I don't want to have to spill any more wizard blood today. Surrender your wands and I will let you live.", Voldemort actually sounded magnanimous, almost. McGonagall was looking around the room, looking for any chance at victory she might have overlooked, Voldemort didn't miss this either.


"Looking for your savior... your chosen one? He fell to my hand earlier. There is no more hope for you."


While they were talking, Harry had moved quietly up behind the remaining death eaters, surveying his options he found their destruction. They were all standing on debris, rock from the wall, wood from the tables, and other things he couldn't identify. He would only have one chance and he needed to take out as many as he could in just one attack, the Lestrange men, Rookwood and a few other death eaters were too inviting a target. The stone slab they were standing on was perfect, he pulled, aimed his wand at it and cast his spell.


It all happened at once, McGonagall and the others sprung into action as the death screams of the men rang out into the room, as large stone spikes pierced their bodies. The Weasleys, Neville, and Lavender all cast Incendio, while Flitwick conjured a shield and McGonagall transfigured some rubble into a barrier. Crabbe, Goyle and Pansy were the only ones that weren't fast enough to raise a shield themselves which was obvious as they burned like pyres in the hall. Snape had spun around and started casting wide area detection spells, yelling that someone had Potter's invisibility cloak, Voldemort yelled in frustration and cast a blasting charm on the barrier in front of him, while the others spread apart looking for easy shots.


Mrs. Zambini was the next to fall, when she jumped over the barrier and straight into Luna casting aconcussion spell. The point blank hit and the air pressure exploded out the back of the female death eater painting the barrier in her blood. A seventh year Ravenclaw was next, she moved to cast a stunner and took a killing curse in the face courtesy of Bellatrix. Harry was busy dodging debris that was being banished in every direction by Serverus, and missed out on seeing Molly literally cook Avery like a Sunday roast. It seemed that Filius was being kept busy himself constantly recasting shields, Professor Trelawney was showing some skill as well as she was also constantly casting repair spells on the crumbling barrier, along with Professor Sprout.


Neville, Lavender, and the Patil twins rushed out from behind the barrier and opened up duels with what remained of the death eaters. Neville scoring first blood on Bellatrix with a cutting curse striking her face. Lavender had summoned Blaise towards her and moved out of the way and let him collide with the wall, and the Patil twins kept taking turns transfiguring Draco's clothing so that he couldn't move, while the other would send curses toward the death eaters. Ron was about to kill Lavender when the Fred and George conjured a dog-sized spider, which made him scream like a little girl and started to shooting killing curses at the illusion. McGonagall came out next and started to engage with Voldemort, with the aid of four more students.


Serverus heard Ron scream and left the futile attempt at attack nothing and went to help his comrades. Seeing everyone distracted, Harry knew his time had come and tore off the invisibility cloak, letting himself be seen for the first time. There were some gasps as he reappeared and because of this, the twin’s illusion of the spider vanished and Ron was back in the fight. Weighing the options Harry picked his first target, he banished a large cinder block size piece of stone and crushed Blaise's head, leaving a wounded Lavender to smile at him. He heard someone cast the cruciatus and spotted Draco with one of the Patil girls unconscious on the ground and the other writhing under him. He whistled and Draco spun to see him.


"You know your daddy and mommy died begging me not to kill them.", It was all he had to say, even though untrue, "And I want to hear you beg too." He watched the color fade out of Draco's face only to be replaced with crimson rage.


Draco seemed to forget that he even had a wand in his hand, as he charged Harry with snarling yell. Harry watched in amazement as Draco pulled back his arm to strike him, and then he stepped out of the way, letting Draco run himself through with the beam that Harry was standing in front of.


"Say it Draco,” Harry said in a sickly sweet voice, as he watched his nemesis spit out blood from his mouth. Draco's eyes were filled with rage and anger, but he wasn't going to give him the victory.


"Oh fine then you big ferret." Harry said before he cast incendio on the pile of rubble and engulfing Draco in magical flames, ending the Malfoy line forever.


Harry was about to relive Neville when he heard Molly scream something and watched as she threw herself in front of a killing curse meant for Fred, saving him from being killed by his brother. He stood in shock as he watched Fred holding his now dead mother closely and howled in lose. George took slow strides towards his once brother and raised his wand deliberately and cast an explosive hex at near point blank range, leaving only a fine red mist where once Ron's head had stood on his shoulders.


Somehow, the barricade that was placed on the front doors had come down and the room was filling with combatants that had been locked outside. Hagrid stormed across the hall in great bounds and delivered acrushing blow to the back of Bellatrix's neck, the snapping of her spin could easily be heard as she fell to the floor.


Snape had just banished Trelawney across the room and he knew that the battle was lost and he was going to die for his master's cause today, but not before killing some of those that he felt needed it. He zeroed in on Neville who was bruised and bloody and barely standing, 'an easy kill' he thought, but before he could move to deliver the killing blow to the near squib, he felt something sharp and then a warm oozing feeling down his stomach. A two and half inch wide steel blade was sticking out of his chest, and before death took him he was horrified when he heard, "Greasy hair attracts swarming nufflifters"


Voldemort was in the strangest duel he had ever encountered. A part goblin was shielding his curses, at least two dozen children... CHILDREN, were casting harmless jinxes, and hexes at him, and atransfiguration teacher was making every piece of rubble into something that would attack him. It was like trying to fight off a swarm of flies, they could do no real damage but he was having to expend energy to keep them at bay. Did they not know who he is, or that he had the unbeatable wand? Did they even consider that he didn't need his followers anymore, or that nobody could defeat him now?


Suddenly everyone stopped fighting him and moved away, he laughed inside as now he would start his rule by killing all those that were dumb enough to back away from him. His humorous thoughts of homicide ceased when he heard the reason they had stopped.


"So Tom just you and I again, I see."


Voldemort searched the encircling crowd and the boy he had tried to kill as an infant and again on so many occasions, stepped out to face him.


"What? No hug?" Harry said as he casually walked into the open circle standing opposite of the Dark Lord, "Everyone back up to the walls, and no one interferes with this duel." The crowded hall pushed back up against the walls leaving Harry and Voldemort nearly three quarters of it to them.


Voldemort started to laugh out loud, "Do you think you can beat me? Me, the one that defeated the great Albus Dumbledore! I, Lord Voldemort Heir to the great Salazar Slytherin! Holder of the Elder wand.", He finished softly holding out the wand so that Harry could see it.


"You see Tom, that's where you screwed up. Mind if I tell you what you have failed to do?", Harry asked in a calm questioning voice.


"I haven't fail, BOY! Once I kill you and those here, I will go out and find more followers from the worthless sheep that call themselves wizards and rule the world!"


"Tsk, Tsk, Tsk... Tom, have you forgotten what Ollivander told you? The wand chooses its master, not the other way around."


"I took the wand from the body of Dumbledore. It is mine!"


"The wand had already chosen a new master before then, Tom. The person that disarmed Dumbledore was not you, but Draco Malfoy and since then I have defeated him twice. To be a matter of fact, I'm using his other wand right now.", Harry waved Draco's wand in front of Voldemort.


"I defeated you in the forest! The wand is mine!"


"A funny thing there, Tom. I wasn't carrying a wand then, and I came openly, I never surrendered, and your killing curse was ineffectual as always."


Voldemort's rage was building, he would need it to overpower the boy and defeat him once and for all.


"Oh, and Tom. I discovered the thing that is worse than death.", Harry smirked.


That had done it, Voldemort had gone into hyper rage with the taunting words of the boy. He raised the wand yelling the words to end the boy's life forever. The people in the room could see and feel the magic emanating off the both of them, objects on the ground started to levitate and the room began to shake. Harry's hand came up as fast as Voldemort's, whispering his spell instead. The green of the killing curse erupted out of the wand held by Voldemort, and the almost invisible light blue of Harry's disarming spell passed each other mid room. Voldemort was surprised when his curse faded out before reaching Harry and the boys spell hit home making his wand fly out toward his enemy.


Voldemort's rage so mighty that he thrust out his left arm and pushed all of his magic out toward Harry, the stream of raw silver colored magic erupted towards him. Surprised Harry threw up his right hand to shield or block the incoming wave, but instead felt his magic responding and answered with his own golden colored beam. These two forces of magic collided with the ringing sound, raw magic dripped unto the floor between them as both pushed their wills forward. Slowly Harry became calm and a look of serenity came over his face, his golden beam holding Voldemort's in place. He raised his left hand palm up and started to chant something under his breath.


Neville was watching the confrontation, the sheer amount of power being displayed was unlike anything he had ever heard about, even in the stories of Merlin. He couldn't take his eyes off of Harry as he raised his hand and a small black orb appeared with green flames dancing about on the inside. Everyone around him gasped as Harry took a step toward the Dark Lord, then another. Neville's eyes shot over to the Dark Lord whose face had tightened with concentration, his eyes seemed to burn with the same red color that his pupils were.


It had finally come to Harry the answer he had been looking for, and what Dumbledore had hinted to so many times after his fifth year. Love, was truly the answer. He wanted Voldemort to pay for his crimes to die and never come back, but more he wanted to protect the innocent, those that had a chance at a life unlike him. To have a loving family, friends, and someday have children of their own to love. He tapped into the love in his heart for his dead parents, Sirius, Hermione, and Ginny and it gave him the strength to hold back Voldemort, then he felt the love that he had for those around him now, Hagrid, Luna, Neville, and the others, those that he never wanted to feel pain or sorrow ever again.


The voice of his mother came next, playing in his head a chant to say, he started to repeat it to himself out loud, then the next voice of Ginny telling him to walk forward and grasp Tom by the hand he was using, and lastly the voice of Sirius telling him to throw the ball at him just before taking his hand. With a sudden sense of peace he took his first step.


In the great hall people heard phoenix song and looked up to see seven phoenixes flying in a circle around the two combatants. Neville's heart swelled with love and pride as he watched his friend close the distance. He saw that Harry was now standing before Voldemort less than two feet away, when the blackish ball of energy that he had been forming was thrust forward and struck the Dark Lord, and less than a second later Harry had clamped his hand around Voldemort's.


The energy from the magical explosion was felt clearly for more than a thousand miles.


Centuries past and theoreticians have argued what happened that day, that moment, but no answer has ever been found. What is known is that anyone that wore Voldemort's mark, lost their magic completely, and those that were on the brink of death were healed. Britain, no the entire Wizarding world changed after that, laws were constructed in Harry's name to end bigotry and promote understanding between races. Any student that entered Hogwarts was now sorted on the spot where the battle took place. Even with all the awards, titles, accolades, and even monuments made in his name, the one question that everyone wanted to really know was answered by the last surviving person to have witnessed the battle.


On her death bed, Luna Lovegood-Longbottom, two hundred and sixty three years old, said, "Harry didn't die, but went to where he was needed most. We will see him again, and when we do he will restore magic's gift."
Sign up to rate and review this story