Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Almost

Chapter Nine- I’m destined to spend my Time Missing You

by Silvana 3 reviews

In Which A Phone Conversation Takes Place.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Gerard Way,Mikey Way - Published: 2007-08-20 - Updated: 2007-08-20 - 649 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter Nine- I’m destined to spend my Time Missing You

“What phone do you have?”
“A phone like one.”

Flashback- 11th September 1999

He roughly dialled the number that he hadn’t been able to forget and waited, breathing heavily, for an answer.
“Hello?”
So she’d deleted his home number from her contacts. Big surprise.
“Hey Lee.”
Gee.” Her voice betrayed no emotion. “How you doin’?”
“Alright. You?” He sat down on the hard wooden chair that was next to the telephone.
“Same,” she agreed. There was silence before she said, “How’s Mikey?”
“He’s good,” Gerard nodded, just her voice bringing a smile to his face. “He’s, uh, nineteen now. Yesterday in fact.” At the other end of the phone there was a sharp gasp. “Oh my God! I completely forgot. I can’t believe I forgot. “
Gerard shrugged as he heard the nineteen-year-old in question clatter into the house. “No reason why you should remember. S’not like you went out with him or anything.” Once again there was silence on the other end of the phone. Then Leah sighed. “Why’d you call Gee?”
His smile faded, as he understood her tone of voice. She was upset, angry and probably in a rush. “I just…” His head was telling him not to tell her but the urge was too strong. “I just miss you. Is that so bad?”
She sighed once more. “I miss you too-“
“Then be my girlfriend again,” he interjected quickly.
“As a friend” she finished quietly. It was Gerard’s turn to be silent. “How’s the plan to conquer Cartoon Network going?”
“I’ve got an interview next Wednesday,” he replied sullenly. No-one said anything until Leah began with, ‘Gee I don’t think it’s a good idea for you to call me.’
“What! Why?” he exclaimed angrily.
“Because my boyfriend would object.”
Five words. That was it all took to break his heart again.
“Can’t an old friend call?”
“Only when that old friend isn’t asking me to be their girlfriend,” she told him exasperated. “Call when you’re over me.” And without another word she slammed the phone down. Gerard let out an anger filled cry and put the phone down. He would have flung it but it was his parents and he didn’t have the money to pay for another one if he broke it. He was glaring moodily at the receiver when his mother stuck her head round the door. “A watched pot never boils.” The unexpected comment made Gerard smile. Not laugh. Not yet. The pain was still too raw for that.

_______________

It was four days later when the package arrived; carefully wrapped and addressed to Mr M. Way. Inside was a framed sketch with a post it note attached. On the note, in loopy writing, was written. ‘To Mikey. Hope your birthday was everything you wanted it to be. Sorry it’s late; don’t hate me too much. Leah.’ When Mikey finally looked at the sketch his mouth fell open and he silently handed it to Gerard who had just walked in the room. It was a detailed pencil drawing of the two brothers and their grandmother, in a pose that a photographer would have probably used. Elena sitting in her chair, Mikey kneeling next to her and Gerard standing behind. Not only was it realistic, Gerard knew it had to be from memory as Leah didn’t possess any photographs of Elena and probably none of Mikey. In the bottom left hand corner was a tiny signature that looked like a K with two extra lines, as though the pen had slipped. However, Gerard knew that it was actually an L and a sideways W drawn on top of it. He shook his head as he handed the picture back to a silent Mikey. Leah Watkins…
Sign up to rate and review this story