Categories > Original > Fantasy > Moonfire

Chapter Four

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

The Moonfire gem gives its wearer great power and a long life, of eternal slumber.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2007-08-25 - Updated: 2007-08-25 - 933 words - Complete

0Unrated
“I put you in the room two doors down from our lord,” Joanna, the mistress of the servants told Bronwen as she led them to Bronwen’s new room. “I tried to give the room to Lady Julia when she came to stay, but she demanded a tower room.” Joanna shook her head, then stopped at a doorway, “have a good night my lady.” She said and bobbed before walking back down the hallway.
“Are you gonna be ok by yourself tonight?” Wesley asked anxiously.
Bronwen smiled, bending over and kissing him on the forehead, “I’ll be fine.”
He blushed, before turning and running down the hallway.
Bronwen watched him disappear down the steps, then went into her room and closed the door.

Richard walked up the steps, toward where the bedrooms lay. He started to go into his room, then stopped and looked at the doorway of the room he knew Bronwen was in. Almost as if they had a will of their own, his feet carried him to her door and he knocked.
Bronwen answered the door quickly, “is something the matter my lord?” She asked in a frightened tone.
Richard shook his head, “I-.” he began to say, then stopped. For a moment they stared at each other. Then, he stepped forward and took her in his arms.
“This is madness,” he murmured. “I’m betrothed.”
She nodded, but neither made a move to step away. They stood there in each other’s arms, then Richard kissed her softly, no more then a whisper on her lips. She stood on tip toes and pressed her mouth harder against his.
“I could hold you forever,”Richard said as he reluctantly stepped away. “But its not fair to you.”
Richard backed slowly into the hallway, “lock your door,” he said. Then stood there watching and waiting until she closed the door and he heard the lock click.
Bronwen was standing with the door against her back, when she heard another knock. She turned and unlocked the door, opening it.
Richard stood there, “I can’t seem to let you go” he said, then swept her in his arms and kissed her again.

Julia stood in the shadows of a doorway, watching in fury as Richard and Bronwen kissed. She silently watched Richard grab Bronwen’s hand and pull her down the hallway. Waiting until they had disappeared, she slipped in Bronwen’s room and closed the door.

“Where are you taking me?” Bronwen asked, laughing as Richard led her out of the manor house. “You’ll see,” he said with a mischievous grin.
He led her to a beautiful flowered filled glen.
“This is the place I go when I want to be alone,” he told her. “I’ve never brought anyone here before, not even Lady Julia.”
He cupped Bronwen’s face with his hands, “ I know this may sound crazy,” he said. “I almost don’t believe it myself, but I’m falling in love with you. I know that I’m betrothed and that your heart belongs to another. But I can’t help myself,” he took her hand and put it on his heart. “My heart can’t help itself.”
Bronwen stepped away from him, “there are so many things that are keeping us apart,” she said sadly. “I’m sorry my lord.”
She turned to walk back to the manor house and Richard grabbed her arm, turning her around.
“Look into my eyes and tell me that you don’t feel the same way,” he demanded, then his expression softened. “No matter what is wrong, we’ll find a way to get around it. I refuse to believe that it was coincidence that Wesley found you. I think we were meant to be together and I’m not letting you go without a fight.”
“What of Lady Julia?” Bronwen asked.
“I don’t love her and she doesn’t love me, our marriage was to be one of convenience,” Richard said.
Bronwen gently put her hand on Richard’s face, “I loved Arthur,” she said softly. “But that love was nothing compared to what I feel for you.”
“Are you saying you love me?” Richard asked as he grasped her hand and drew her closer.
Bronwen smiled, “I’m not sure if I’m ready to declare such feelings for you,” she teased gently.
Richard dropped to his knees, “oh the lady wounds me,” he cried. Then he pulled her down next to him, kissing her softly again, before pulling away. “I’m not going to force you to tell me how you feel,” he said. “But I’m going to break the betrothal with Lady Julia, I could never marry her now that I found you.”
“What if I decide I don’t love you?” Bronwen asked with a small smile.
“Then I will give all my possessions away and become a monk,” Richard declared. “I can’t picture my life without you now.”
He got to his feet and gently helped Bronwen to hers, “it’s getting late and we both need some rest,” he said gently kissing her again.
They walked away hand in hand and for a moment the glen was quiet, then a slither of sound came from the bushes.
Goma slipped out of her hiding place, a look of fury on her face. “So Sir Richard thinks he can break the betrothal?” She hissed, “I’ll make them both wish they had never betrayed my Julia.”
Then she turned and quickly walked back to her cottage, to plot her revenge.
Sign up to rate and review this story