Categories > Original > Fantasy

I never told you what I do for a living

by Aura 0 reviews

Veruca escapes the grim reaper and finds love, but has she really escaped? Just a one shot. i love reviews so let me know what you think.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Romance - Published: 2007-08-25 - Updated: 2007-08-26 - 1279 words - Complete

0Unrated
The rain is coming down fast and heavy. Is he still following me, I can’t hear his footsteps anymore but I dare not turn around. My feet are hurting, I can hardly breath but I have to keep running. He can’t catch me. I don’t wanna…“Veruca” someone called my name. I turned. “You again…”

I woke up with a start Seth was leaning over me. I could make out his face in the dark, it was kind of like his eyes glowed. They were the most intense dark green eyes I had ever seen. I leaned over and turned on the bed side lamp. I looked at Seth again his face was tense, it always went that way when he was worried. I hated to see him worried so I directed my eyes to his messy black hair.

“You were having another of your bad dreams, weren‘t you?” he was concerned I could hear it in his voce

“I know. I just can’t shake them off.” I got up to get a bottle of water out of the mini bar. I had been having the same dream ever since, well it happened. I’ll never forget the day I woke up in the hospital after being in a coma for a year. The doctors didn’t think I would ever come out. They were even more shocked when there was no neurological damage, but I am starting to wonder if that was actually the case. The thing was this wasn’t just a dream. It was a memory I had been out of the hospital for two days and then one raining day I went for a walk. I had always loved the rain and it had been so long since I had. I must have been out for only ten minutes when this figure came up to me. Everyone laughed, well everyone but Seth laughed when I told then it was the Grim Reaper. I know it sounds crazy. It was him. He had the bony fingers, the black hooded cloak. I ran right into Seth that night, He was so kind he listened to my ramblings. He took me home, when he left he told me to call him if I ever needed anything.

I did call him two months later after I was let out of the hospital. I had been put in there because they thought I had suffered some damage after all. In the end I lied and said that I knew it was figment of my imagination. That it wasn’t real. So I call the only person who believed me, Seth and he took me in to live with him. That was eight months ago, we had just been friends at the start but it quickly developed into more. I felt Seth’s comforting arms around me.

“Come back to bed” I let him lead me back to bed. I normally only had the dream or should I say nightmare once a night. I curled up next to Seth and fell in to an uneasy sleep.

A few days after that I was waiting for Seth outside of the local movie therate, he was in talking to some friends. I wish he would hurry up, I wrapped my arms around my body in the hope of getting warm as a sudden chill had come over me. Then it started to rain, I felt sick in the stomach, it was just like that time. I was being silly, the Grim Reaper was not after me. I just wish Seth would hurry up.

I looked at the door wishing him to come out, I saw him in the distance, then everything froze. The raindrops were hanging in the air, yet I could still move, okay I am going crazy. I felt a familiar cold bony finger touch my shoulder. Okay wake up, wake up. This isn’t real. I turned around fast “Your not real” I yelled at the Grim Reaper I wasn’t scared anymore I was angry.

“Yes it is” he spoke in a deep but oddly familiar voice “I am real but all this isn’t”

“What!” I said this is real it had to be.

“I’ll explain, you are still in a coma. I’ll show you” he waved his arm and next thing we were back in my brightly lit hospital room. I was laying in the bed with tubes in me. My Mum and Dad were sitting by my bed, they were crying. The doctor was there talking to them, he pointed at my bed. I couldn’t hear what they were saying, my mum cried more. I moved over to hug her but my arms went straight through her, I looked at the Grim Reaper.

“What are they saying. Why can’t they feel me, see me?” I started to cry but I got hold of myself and stopped

“You would love it if I cried wouldn’t you” I said with such hatred in my voice.

“No” I knew that voice. It wasn’t so deep anymore. It couldn’t be, no I am dreaming again “I had been watching you since the car accident. You were so full of life, so young. I did something I am not allow to do, I gave you a life. Sadly, it was all in your head but I had to give you something else, before…” he looked away, this was odd behaviour.

“…before you take my soul” I said back, my head was spinning. I would have sat down if I thought I could “None of it had been real, but Seth …” he gently lifted my head up with his hand, it wasn’t bony anymore. It was a human hand. He lifted the hood back. I wasn’t looking at the Grim Reaper anymore I was looking at Seth. I shook my head, Okay this dream is messed up.

“The love, our love was real. That is why I made this world for you. I fell in love with you. I am so sorry but there is nothing I can do now” he looked at the ground.

“They are going to pull the plug, so to speak, aren’t they” he nodded

“Is there anyway I can have just one more night with Seth, with you. Nothing special just one last hour together.” I was holding back the tears

“I can do that, you really want to be with me” he asked

“Yes but we need a code word so I know when it is coming”

“Okay, how about ‘I never told you what I do for a living’” I nodded

“Very clever. What happens now?” I said looking at him, the man I loved.

“Take my hand” I did.

We were back at the house, the place that had been my home, my safe house these last eight months. We were curled up on the couch watching TV. I turned it off and look at him and kissed him. We sat there in silence. I just wanted to be in his arms, He kissed me on forehead then lifted my face up to him and said the words I had been waiting for but never wanted them to come.

“I never told you what I do for a living” I took a deep breath. A single tear rolled down my face, he wiped it away. In the distance I heard a continuous beep sound and people running and talking very fast. Then there was nothing but a bright light and smiling faces that looked like my grandparents.

The End
Sign up to rate and review this story