Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Seijin Shiki

Chapter 3

by SilverFrostSenior 0 reviews

Sakura and Kakashi leave on their mission.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Kakashi,Sakura - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2007-08-26 - Updated: 2007-08-26 - 1681 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: Misashi Kishimoto owns Naruto and all of its characters.

Seijin Shiki

Chapter 3

The sunlight filtering through the clouds overhead cast patches of light on the ground. A myriad of colors flickered on the surface of the water; it’s golden ripples mesmerizing. Sakura leaned against the rails of a red bridge, wondering if not for the first time why Kakashi insisted on being late. She smiled in memory at her Genin days when Kakashi would always show up late with her and Naruto yelling obscenities. Those were the good days, before Sasuke had left.

She tapped her booted foot behind her, the sound loud in the silence of the morning. Kakashi’s habits had been one thing that she could count on staying the same. She had come to realize that he wouldn’t be Kakashi without his unusual customs. It was comforting to know that Kakashi was his same old self, lazy and late, the two qualities that used to annoy her. Sakura wondered when she had changed so much. Her childhood dreams seemed nothing more than fairytales now. Perhaps the Seijin Shiki was what she needed, to begin anew.

A breeze rustled Sakura’s clothes, making her wrap her arms tighter about herself. Her thoughts turned once more to Kakashi. There was one thing that had changed about him, something that had been gnawing at her ever since she had talked with him two nights ago. He was more social. She had heard him use more words than he had talking with her but it was as if he were more honest, more sincere. His revelation that she would look beautiful in a furisode had left her head spinning, her heart pounding. The thought that she had felt that way because she hadn’t received any male attention in a long while didn’t seem correct. She wasn’t a Jounin for anything. She had seen the way his eye lingered on her face. She had been even more shocked when he had raked her body from head to toe, if only for a second. A thrill raced through her as she remembered the momentary sensuality in his eye.

Sakura smiled as the feeling of a familiar presence signaled itself to her sharpened senses. She turned her head, her arms still resting on the bridge railing as Kakashi materialized beside her.

He raised a gloved hand in the air. “Yo, sorry about being late. There was this old woman who needed help at the grocery store, so being the kind gentleman that I am I carried her things. Then I had to keep the killer lobster she bought from attacking me.”

Sakura giggled as she reached down and shouldered her light pack. “Is that so? Did you also help her across the street?”

Kakashi’s eye crinkled, a hand rubbing the nape of his neck. “Of course.” He lowered his hand, becoming serious as he stuck his hands in his pockets. “Are you ready?”

Sakura nodded before she turned on her heel, leading the way as they left the bridge. Kakashi was once again surprised at the changes she had undergone. When he had first arrived he had thought that she would have yelled at him for being late. She had matured. Though she sometimes when she was curious she resembled the young girl he had known six years ago. As they drew near the front gates Kakashi studied her profile. He had yet to see her in daylight and the transformation was even more obvious.

Her hair was longer, now swaying at her mid-back. Instead of the vibrant pink she had had as a kid, it was now lighter and curled at the tips. Her eyes, as he had noticed when he had first greeted her at the bridge, were less rounded and a darker green. They had shown with her wisdom, strength, and most of all, passion. Her skin was lightly tanned. He mentally scolded himself when he wondered if she was as soft as she looked. The rest of her body has also matured and filled out. She was no longer the lanky four foot nine that she was as a girl. She now stood almost five foot seven with longer limbs, wider hips and with curves in all the right places. His eye couldn’t help but be drawn to the way her hips swayed as she walked.

He was cut out of his musings when Sakura turned her head to look back at him curiously. “What’s is it?”

Kakashi smiled. “Nothing.” He cut left, Sakura now following beside him as they started their journey. It would be two days before they reached the boarder of Sand. The sun was gradually rising though the bite of winter was still in the air. A comfortable silence ensued, their thoughts each on something other than the mission.

Sakura’s thoughts turned once again towards the upcoming festivities. There wasn’t much she had to think about, but she wondered why she had changed her mind about attending so suddenly. She had had began to believe the Seijin Shiki wouldn’t be as morose and troublesome since she had spoke with Kakashi, two night ago. She wondered if there was a deeper meaning to his words. His lessons as Genin of looking underneath the underneath had saved Sakura’s life many times in the past. But something as changing as a new beginning was something Sakura didn’t believe had an alternate meaning.

All she knew about the Seijin Shiki was what it signified. The passage into adulthood and the responsibilities you took on. The furisode was just decoration, a way to show people that she had truly become a woman. She turned her head to Kakashi who was reading his questionable orange novel. “What’s the Seijin Shiki like?”

Kakashi looked over at Sakura with mild interest. He smiled to himself, knowing that she would still be worrying over something as joyous an occasion as the Seijin Shiki. He glanced back at his open book, wondering how much he should tell her. When she was a child it had been amusing to tease her about such things. But he knew she would take it in stride if he decided to remain silent. He pocketed his book, noticing that Sakura was watching him with concealed eyes. “What would you like to know?”

Sakura contemplated for a few seconds. “Everything.”

Kakashi chuckled. “If that is what you want.” He turned his head forward; his eye focused on the road as they continued to walk. “As you know the Seijin Shiki is a time for young men and women to be admitted into the ranks of adulthood. It’s a time for them to begin anew, to take things to the next level. A ceremony is held in the morning, there is one for shinobi and another for the civilians. Most everyone is present, including the Hokage who will be giving out presents and speeches. The advisors and government officials will also be giving speeches. And your academy, Jounin, and other instructors and friends will be there to congratulate you and honor you as a new adult.”

Sakura nodded, her arms crossed over her chest. “I can deal with that. Is there more?”

Kakashi smiled. “If you’d let me finish, yes.” He laughed when Sakura blushed. “It is customary for the new adults to attend with a partner of the opposite sex, usually one who you want to share the Seijin Shiki with. After the ceremony a festival is thrown for the new adults. There is drinking, dancing, gambling, and sometimes relationships involved. The party lasts until sundown when most of the new adult couples go home with each other, usually partaking in, uh, certain activities.”

Kakashi turned his head to regard Sakura’s reaction. A blush encompassed her cheeks and neck. He could have sworn that his heart beat a little faster at the sight. He shrugged the feeling off as he cleared his throat. “Who are you going to go with?”

Sakura felt as if she were going to die from embarrassment. Your former teacher telling you that sex might be involved after the Seijin Shiki was one thing but asking who she was going with was another. She willed her blush away. She avoided his all too knowing eye as she answered. “I don’t know.”

Kakashi smirked. He looked down at Sakura, his eye shimmering deviously. “Is that so? Hasn’t every boy in Konoha thrown themselves at your feet yet?”

Sakura blushed before she narrowed her eyes. In the blink of an eye she raised her hand, slapping Kakashi on the arm. She smirked when he held the appendage, grimacing. “I’m not like that, you idiot.”

Kakashi chuckled sheepishly. He rubbed his arm, making a mental note to himself not to get on Sakura’s bad side. He looked out of the corner of his eye to see a small blush painting Sakura’s cheeks. His previous thoughts forgotten, he decided to tease her some more. He couldn’t pass up such an opportunity as this. “So how many boys are you going with? Two or three, maybe four?”

Sakura narrowed her eyes. After a few moments of Kakashi squirming on the inside Sakura smiled. She turned her face up, her lips shining faintly with a touch of gloss. “You’re such a joker, Kakashi.”

Kakashi returned her smile. Her lips captivated him, as her eyes seemed to pull him in deeper. An ache in his chest although pleasant made Kakashi wonder if he was getting in deeper than he should.

0o0

:) Another chapter done. They keep getting shorter and shorter don’t they. But I thought this a good place to stop. Well Kakashi’s and Sakura’s relationship is moving along nicely, if I do say so myself. I’m sorry if I keep repeating some things, like about the Seijin Shiki but you know how people forget. XD

Zipper Rabbit-Thank you again. You are the best beta ever!
Sign up to rate and review this story