Categories > Books > Chronicles of Narnia > The Trials of Oreius

The Chase

by Xavier 0 reviews

This story follows Oreius, the Centaur General from The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, and a plot to overthrow the new Kings and Queens of Narnia....

Category: Chronicles of Narnia - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Fantasy - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2005-12-24 - Updated: 2005-12-24 - 583 words

0Unrated
Oreius ran through the woods, chasing after his quarry. The run led him through the thick of the forest, over logs and under branches. He sprung past a fallen tree, his powerful horse legs rippling with strength. He caught a glimpse of a black tail, showing him that he was nearing his prey. Oreius reached behind him to his front flanks and loosened his swords, a pair of smaller one handed blades on either hip. He also wore a larger, two-handed great-sword lower on his left flank. Then he picked up speed. He bounded over a rock, and cut to the right. Bursting from the trees, he landed a foot in front of his target.
The minotaur pulled up, and growled. The black half-bull, half man minotaur, was quite fearsome looking. He wore a leather breastplate, and had a pair of long knives hanging from a belt. In his hand was a large, double-bladed axe. Sprouting from his head were a pair of long, sharp horns, blood staining the tips. Raising his axe defensively, the minotaur bared his teeth.
Oreius drew his own blades, choosing the twin swords strapped to his flanks. He reared up on his hind legs, and shouted "Long live Aslan!!". Coming back down, he leaped towards the minotaur. All four of his horse legs extended to full length as he lunged at his foe, blades cutting in from both sides. The minotaur growled and raised his axe to block. Oreius's momentum was too much, though, and he was knocked down. Oreius landed and came around, shifting his grip on one of his swords. The minotaur started to rise, but Oreius tossed his sword into the bull's shoulder like a spear, causing it to drive through to stick into the ground, pinning him on his back.
Ignoring the minotaur's roar of pain, he knocked the axe away. Then, bending down, he stared into the beast's face.
"Where are the others?" he asked. The minotaur spat at Oreius's face, ending their conversation. Oreius thrust his sword into its throat, ending his life. He stood up straight and cleaned his swords, something Aslan had told him to always do. He took the two knives off the minotaur's belt, and headed back towards camp.

Oreius was a Centaur, one of the many who fought for Aslan and King Peter. But he was specifically the commander of troops, the general of the army. The kings called the strategy, and Oreius had seen that they were carried out. He was also the one who had taken out the minotaur general of the Witch's army in his charge for the White Witch herself. He had failed in his goal, however, as the Witch had turned him into a solid stone statue. He had later been blessed by the breath of Aslan, and was brought back. Then, after the coronation of the four humans and Aslan's departure, Oreius had been given a special task: to eradicate the remaining members of the White Witch's army.
The problem with that was that they had all scattered, separating into small bands, or going solo like that minotaur had. Many had fled south past the Dancing Lawn, and now were hiding in the surrounding forest. That was where Oreius now was, with a small band of warriors. The surviving leaders of the Witch's army had hidden out somewhere as well, and had thus far eluded detection. He continued his trudge through the woods, contemplating the possible location of the traitor's hideout.
Sign up to rate and review this story