Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > I Was Born Under A Bad Sign

Chapter 6

by Rybekka 3 reviews

..

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-09-07 - Updated: 2007-09-08 - 1511 words

0Unrated
Last night was awful. I woke up today to see the house turned completely upside down. The party had gone on for hours. I didn‘t get much sleep and could feel my head aching.

I had stayed in my room all last night avoiding any contact with Stacy or her drunken friends. Thank god the door to my room had a good lock. Countless times somebody approached the room and tried to force the door open. But thankfully no one ever got in and I spent the night on my computer since the noise of the party couldn’t get me to concentrate on my book.

I walked into the kitchen, cups and empty bottles littered every table and remains of snack food lay on the floor. I was not going to be the one to clean this up. I had given in over the years to cleaning, just because so my siblings wouldn’t get into trouble with my parents, but this time I didn’t give a damn.

I made my way to the refrigerator and opened it. It was practically empty, except for a lonely milk carton and a few oranges in one of the drawers. I sighed and closed it just to see Stacy walk into the room.

“I’m not going to clean this up.” I said hissed after a moment and glared at her.

She rolled her eyes. “Didn’t expect you to. I’ll make Rosie take care of it.”

Rosie was our housekeeper. She didn’t deserve to clean this all up. Stacy should do it herself, but there was no way I could convince her to do it. Or would be bothered to make her.

“Whatever.” I said and made my way past her. I was going out, I didn’t care where. I just couldn’t take it to look at nearly my own reflection and hate it so much. I hated the way she could be confused as me when she could be such a terrible person.

“You know he doesn’t like you.”

I froze in my steps and turned around, “What are you talking about?”

She turned so she was facing me properly and leaned against the kitchen counter. She had her hands crossed and a hateful look in her eyes. “You know very well what I’m talking about. Josh doesn’t want you.”

I felt my stomach turn and I gaped at her. How did she know and how did she dare mention it?

“Yeah, I know you have a crush on my boyfriend. It’s pathetic, really. Find your own,” She spat at me and narrowed her eyes at me. “Oh, wait. That’s impossible since no one seems to want you. You don’t even have friends!”

I felt the tears burn my eyes as they threatened to connect with my cheeks. My fists clenched and unclenched as I stood there, not knowing what I could say, but what I wanted to say. And if those words left my mouth it would be hard to repair our already fragile relationship.

I quickly just decided to get away from her. I turned around and hurried out the door, slamming it after me. Now I really was crying. I ran to my car and jumped in, turning on the engine quickly and drove out the driveway.

As I drove down the road I quickly fumbled with the buttons on the radio and turned it on. Some random song came on but I didn’t care, I just didn’t want to hear myself crying.

I didn’t know where I was driving I just knew that I needed to get as far away from her as possible. Both of my hands were clenching the steering wheel tightly. I tried choking back the tears but I couldn’t and started sobbing within minutes.

It hurt so badly because I knew she was right. I was pathetic, I didn’t have any friends and I didn’t even let myself think that some boy would be interested in me. She knew that. She knew how much it hurt me and she seemed to enjoy throwing it in my face. I had been hoping that this year it wouldn’t be that bad, since I wasn´t a freshman anymore and new to the school, but sophomore year went by without any change. I wonder what it was that repelled everyone away from me. What did I do to deserve this?

I searched my mind, but found no answer. I was so tired of always feeling so lonely and left out.

Finally something was able to interrupt my deep thinking. The car was slowing down and I had no idea why. I tried pushing the gas down further but it didn’t seem to work.

Oh, of course it didn’t work. There was no gas left in the tank.

The car stopped after slowly crawling down a street that looked not much different from the street where I lived. Big houses and well kept gardens.

I turned the car off and fell back in the seat, frustrated and tired and started looking for my cell in my pockets. Nothing. I had left in such a hurry that I had forgotten my cell phone. I groaned and felt like crying again. Why did things like this always have to happen to me?

I closed my eyes stubbornly to make sure I wouldn’t start crying again. When I opened them again, sure that the tears wouldn’t fall, I looked outside and saw that I was parked in front of a big white beautiful house.

I got out of the car and started walking towards the front doors of the house. Hopefully the people who lived there would be nice enough to let me borrow their phone to call a towing company or something.

I rang the doorbell and waited patiently for someone to answer.

After a few moments the door was opened revealing a middle aged woman with short dark hair and a smile etched to her face.

“Can I help you?” She asked friendly.

I felt the nervousness flutter in my stomach. “Um, yeah. I was wondering if I could make a quick phone call?” I noticed that her eyebrows rose slightly before I continued. “See, my car is out of gas and I forgot my cell phone, so I need to call a towing service or something like that.” I finished with a nervous half-smile.

“Of course. Come right on in.” she said and stepped away from the door so I could enter her home.

“Thanks.” I muttered and looked around me. The inside of the house looked quite like my own home. Most likely a similar floor plan. I quickly snapped out of my gaze to follow the woman who had pointed me to come with her to the phone.

“Here,” She said and stopped in front of a small table where the phone was. I smiled gratefully at her. “If you need anything, just call me. I’ll be in the kitchen. Oh, and my name is Martha, Martha Urie.” She said holding her hand out. I froze at hearing her name and hesitated before shaking her hand, well, shaking. This couldn’t be his mother right? No way was it her.

I noticed her still standing there looking weirdly at me after we had parted from our handshake, and I realized that I had yet to introduce myself. “Oh, yeah, my name is Kate Bennett.”

She gave me a small smile and said, “Nice to meet you.” Then she turned around and started walking towards the kitchen.

Before she got far I couldn’t help myself but to call after her. “Hey, is there any chance that you are related to a Bre-“

“Mom! Is my sandwich ready yet?” I was cut off abruptly by a painfully familiar voice coming from somewhere behind me. I jumped up and turned around only to see Brendon walking down the stairs. I felt my cheeks flush and looked quickly away. This wasn’t happening. Again.

“Yes, it’s in the kitchen.” She answered loudly and turned to me. “Sorry I didn’t quite get that, dear.”

I looked up at her for a second before looking back down. My heart was beating too fast and my cheeks were too red. I heard his footsteps nearing us and I just wished that I would magically disappear out of this situation.

“Okay.” He said, then finally noticing me. “Who are y- wait. I know you!”

He stopped in front of me and I forced myself to look up at him. He had an amused grin on his face and Mrs. Urie was giving us a confused look.

“Kate!” He exclaimed after a moment of trying to recall my name. “The girl from the store and the meet n’ greet!”

“Yes.” I confirmed and smiled awkwardly at him.

He chuckled,“Are you like stalking me now or something?”
Sign up to rate and review this story