Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Grief, Deceptions, and Hope for Freedom

Chapters 7 - 10

by AnnF 0 reviews

The Second Morning, Postponed, Hospital Wing: Day 2, Squib Protection Statutes

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Characters: Harry,Neville - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2007-09-20 - Updated: 2007-09-21 - 6065 words

1Ambiance
Part 7: The Second Morning

At six Harry woke to the flashing lights and trilling of his alarm. He reached up to slam the floating sphere, but missed and it floated to the top of the canopy. Harry grabbed his wand and shot lumos at it to deactivate it. He stumbled out of his bed, tripping on his shoes as he made his way to the bathroom. Neville was finishing dressing near the shower stall when Harry reached the sink. He was putting the paste on his toothbrush, when one of his million questions from last night bubbled out, "Neville, how much is tuition here?" In the mirror Harry saw Neville drop his tie and his jaw.

Harry turned around to face his friend, again relieved there were no portraits or sculptures in the bathroom. "What did I say wrong?"

Neville recovered quickly. "Nobody has told you half the things you are supposed to know, have they?"

Harry laughed darkly, "Some days I doubt that much."

Neville sat on the changing bench, "Tuition at Hogwarts is one of the hundred or so questions you aren't supposed to ever ask."

"Why?"

"Every family pays a different amount. If your family has more, you pay more, but also if your family has an old name you pay more than a muggleborn would."

"But I don't see how any old families would want their kids to go here at these rates." Harry shook his head, "I mean muggle university in America would be cheaper."

Neville got a confused look on his face, "American muggles pay less than three thousand galleons a year for university?"

Harry sat back on the lip of the sink. "You only pay three thousand?"

"Malfoy once claimed to pay five, but Gran said the top tuition is three."

"Why would I be paying ten thousand then?"

Neville shook his head slowly. "You can't. Anything above top tuition is a donation. And no one would donate that much. Who's in charge of your trust? Because it sounds like they are skimming."

"So there is no reason for that high of a cost?"

Realization of who was in charge of Harry's accounts dawned on Neville's face, "No. At that rate, Dumbledore or no, it looks like you are buying your grades."

"Or paying to replace DADA teachers who try to kill me. Thanks Neville. Could you not mention this to anybody? Ron would freak."

Neville nodded, "I think tonight I should answer some more questions for you."

Harry smiled, "That would be great! But we'd have to go by the lake or in another bathroom. All the portraits tell Dumbledore what's going on."

Neville's face darkened, "But then there was never any question... Right after dinner."

Harry nodded, and Neville picked up his tie and left Harry to his ablutions.

----

Harry grabbed the interlibrary loan book and the list of legal books he was to retrieve, leaving everything else in his trunk which he placed a locking and touching hex on. It was still only half six, but he didn't have much time left. He had been reading and studying, but after going through the parchments it was clear he didn't know the right things and would likely create a bigger mess without help. There were no adults he could trust to be loyal to him first. Neville might make a better source of information, he was a pureblood and his Gran apparently raised him the old-fashioned way. Plus Dumbledore wasn't on a first name basis with Neville that Harry could see.

While Ron and Hermione's intentions might be good, at this point he knew they were too close to Dumbledore to see the Headmaster's faults. Harry not only owned Privet Drive, he paid the taxes and a yearly stipend paid to them every October. Even though Harry was in school, the stipend had not decreased, though it was supposed to have been stopped the first time he entered his trust vault. At the same time Dumbledore received a thousand galleons every year since he was placed at Privet drive to monitor his Aunt. This amount doubled since he came to school, but according to the will was supposed to be to pay for his summers at Hogwarts and extra classes in Defense, Latin, and self-defense.

And it was quite obvious, that though the maximum amount of money was being taken, and then some – with the rigging of his tuition, that his parents' will was being violated in word and spirit. But Harry knew he couldn't let anyone know, until he had a lawyer and was out of Dumbledore's grasp. Confronting the Headmaster would only led to his obliviation, and Sirius had commented in a log at the bottom of the parchments that Sirius had been obliviated at least 3 times, and each time the copy of the will had disappeared. But Harry had an additional wrinkle, he had the power to declare himself a legal adult, and get the power to recover and assert his rights, but unless he was the minor ward of Sirius Black he couldn't petition for a new trial to clear his name.

He would need to read over the parchments again tonight. He mentally added a legal dictionary to his library list. As Harry reached the Great Hall, Neville was leaving with a muffin and glass of milk. They nodded at each other as they passed. Looking over the Hall, it appeared that Harry was the oldest student in the room, which seemed to confirm the rumors of parties in Hufflepuff, especially as even the first years from that house weren't present. Harry pulled out his book, and read as he ate.

--

Grabbing another piece of toast to soak up the last bits of egg yolk, Harry finished his breakfast. The Blood Wards book was a hard one, but even what he did read made it seem like there was no way that Privet Drive could be safe. With finals for the lower classes still yet to come, the library was open from dawn to midnight. Despite his longing for sunshine and fresh air, Harry skipped his walk by the lake and headed directly to the library.

Part 8: Postponed

In the library the ghosts of Hogwarts were on duty. The Bloody Baron who Harry had rarely seen except at sorting seemed to be helping a group of Slytherin first years. The Friar was hovering near the checkout counter, other ghosts were drifting from table to table, and Sir Nicholas was standing near the Restricted Section. If Hermione had mentioned the lack of Madam Pince before he doubted he would have needed to be dragged out of bed, except when he was in the hospital wing. As the library was mostly full of Slytherins and Ravenclaws, both houses Madam Pince was known to keep an extra eye on, Harry thought the ghosts must be an attraction.

"Good morning, Sir Nicholas."

"Good morrow to you, Mister Potter. What brings you to the library?"

"I was wondering if you could help me find books I need?"

"Splendid!" Sir Nicholas began heading into the Restricted Section before Harry could pull his book list out of his pocket. Pausing for a moment, Harry followed.

"Yes, Mr. Potter. I'm sure Professor Binns," Sir Nicholas winked, "was quite happy to give you the permission you need to access the books you require, especially as they weren't added to this section until the summer before you enrolled in Hogwarts." Sir Nicholas quickly moved in front of a far bottom shelf that appeared empty until the knight put reached in and put his hand on the first book. "Now Harry the sword you used your second year to great effect whose heir could use it?"

"Gryffindor's Heir?"

"Say that again as you point your wand at the shelf."

Harry complied and repeated assertively, "Gryffindor's Heir!"

The obscuring charms on all the shelves suddenly fell and there were three times as many books as were visible before. But the shelf of interest was clearly what Sir Nicholas wanted him to take. Sir Nicholas smiled, and gestured to a middle book Heirs of Hogwarts.

"Now young Mr. Potter, I believe you want page 137."

Harry gingerly removed the book from the shelf, still wary of the alarm spells. Hopping down to sit on the floor he opened the book to the page in question and read the page. "The headmaster controls all the ghosts?"

"That I cannot yet confirm or deny."

Harry smiled at the ghost, and read the lines at the bottom of the page. "Hear me, oh Spirits of Hogwarts. Hear me, a humble heir come to learn. Aide me Hogwarts. Guide me true. I am a heir of pure heart seeking aide left me."

"One more line I might suggest, 'Hide my secrets oh Hogwarts, and tell me the dangers I face.'"

Harry quickly repeated that line, adding, "Thank you Hogwarts."

"Close the book."

Harry did, and a gust of wind seemed to shoot from the book, and as it hit Sir Nicholas briefly turned him golden. The ghost grinned widely and stretched. "Thank you, young Heir. It's so nice to be freed from those binds."

Harry smiled, and looked over the titles remaining on the shelf, half the shelf seemed to be the entire set of Families of Wizarding Britain : Self Updating guide to your Heritage. "Guess just hiding the P and E books would be too telling." Sir Nicholas nodded in response and Harry pulled down the P volume. Opening the book to the middle, Harry found the page blank. Flipping forward and then backward, Harry found only more blank pages. "Okay, what am I missing here?"

Sir Nicholas chuckled, "You need only start at the beginning."

Harry closed the book then opened the front cover. Attached to a ribbon to the spine and laying in a pocket was a stylus. Harry moved the stylus out above the book, and turned to the first page.

First Name:
Last Name:
Date of Birth:

Father's First:
Father's Last:
Date of Birth:

Mother's First:
Mother's Maiden:
Date of Birth:

Place one drop of blood into the circle below.

Harry took the stylus and filled out what he could, then used after using three cleaning charms on the sharp point on the opposite end of the stylus poked the his finger. He let the drop fall to the page, and was disappointed when nothing happened immediately. Harry looked up at Sir Nicholas.

The ghost shrugged, "It's an old book, give it a moment."

Harry turned his eyes back to the page. Still nothing. Harry cast tempus. 7:20 He looked at the page, still nothing. Harry set the book on the floor in front of him, and looked at the remaining books on the shelf. There were autobiographies for each of the four founders, a book on wandless magic by Gryffindor, a book on Potions by Slytherin, a book on prophecy by Ravenclaw, and what looked to be several diaries. The page still had not changed, Harry peeked at the next page in the book, but it was still blank.
"Are these books the ones you think I need most?"

"Harry, these are part of your inheritance. These books excepting the Families of Wizarding Britain came from a house in Godric's Hollow."

Harry pulled down the Wandless Magic book, and sure enough inside the front cover was a bookplate declaring the book property of the Potter Family. "How many books here are supposed to be mine?"
"There is an easy way to answer that question, Mr. Potter, but I'm afraid you must wait to find out."

"Why?"

"Magical Bookplates are not just the pretty pictures that their muggles counterparts are. They can contain many charms, but most important is the Homing charm. Have you never wondered how there can be only one librarian for a library of this size?"

Harry shrugged, one of the few times he had been to a library before Hogwarts was on a schooltrip. While he could vaguely recall that the small Little Whinging library had at least 5 librarians that day, and a bunch of people behind the desk, he never was in the library longer than to drop off a book of Dudley's after that. "House elves?"

"Only to clean. The back cover of each Hogwarts book has a plate." Harry flipped the book open to the back cover, and found a Hogwarts plate. "This plate need only be tapped by the librarian or owner of the library, and this book will return to the shelf it was set on by that person. A limited portkey of sorts."

Harry nodded.

"And that Mr. Potter is why you must wait." Sir Nicholas stabbed at the Hogwarts plate. "A week after classes end, Madam Pince will use a more advanced Homing charm and recall all Hogwarts books to the library. Luckily Professor Binns has granted you the override charm for these books."

"Can this one be removed?"

"Removing the Hogwarts plate will change the library inventory. The charm will work for these books, and as Professor Binns is working on a book on the Chamber of Secrets…"

Harry smiled.

---

Harry left the library with a full pocket of shrunk books, and a more general book on blood wards. The Families book still hadn't written itself by the time he left the library. Although the set, unlike the rest of the books on the hidden shelf wasn't a Potter book, Sir Nicolas had him perform the charms on the P volume as well to take with him to a meeting with the Bloody Baron that night. Harry had no idea why Nick had come to him today, rather than second year, but he thought he'd find out tonight. In the mean time he had to jump some hurdles with his head of house. Nick had also helped him find the books on Hermione's list and one on estate maintenance that the ghost assured Harry had all the information he needed on book plates. Harry ran to make it to his 8:00 meeting.

When Harry arrived at McGonagall's office, the door was open and a cup of steaming tea was on her desk but the professor was not there. Harry went in moved the chair facing her desk, so it was at an angle that would allow him to see the door behind him in the mirror on the side wall and sat down. He began reading the blood wards book Sir Nicholas had found for him, starting on the cancellation chapter. When he finished it, he began at the beginning of the book. Harry kept reading until an owl dropped a letter on his lap. Another tempus revealed it was 8:51. Harry closed his eyes and sighed.

The owl whooted from his perch on the desk. Harry took the prompt and opened the letter.

Mr. Potter,

Your order poses interesting challenges. The lack of active spells you request, as noted in our catalog, will still require taps of your wand in order to comply with Muggle Protection statutes. The additional charms will require an additional fee of 50 galleons. We will endeavor to complete your custom order as soon as possible upon receiving the authorization.

Campbell McGoen
McGoen's: Keeping the Charm in Daily Life


Harry borrowed a quill from the Professor's desk, scrawled his authorization for the additional charge, and attached the letter to the owl's leg. "If you need a treat or water you'll need to visit the Owlery, as I have nothing with me." The owl bobbed its head and took off.

Leaving Harry to stew in his thoughts. Why would McGonagall stand him up without a note? There were no papers on her desk, nor the floor. Harry began to question not bringing his bookbag with him, or at least his notebook and pen, he kept needing to write. Harry decided to leave. When Harry stood and turned, he noticed for the first time, that a portrait hung on the wall in the shadow from the open door. Phineas Nigellus smirked at him. Harry felt like he was punched in the gut, but endeavored to keep his face blank. "Headmaster, do you know when Professor McGonagall might return?"

"Finally sick of waiting, boy?"

"It is unlike the Professor to be tardy or absent." Harry wondered if not being able to trust anyone was supposed to help him occlude his thoughts. Or if Dumbledore was trying to drive him to suicide by removing all potential sources of help.

"Professor Dumbledore required her presence."

"Please inform Professor McGonagall that I waited for an hour, and would like her to owl me if she can meet this afternoon."

Phineas nodded, "Finally found your manners. I will pass on your message."

Harry suppressed a sigh, and headed to the hospital wing.

----

Part 9: Hospital Wing: Day 2

Harry took a deep breath before opening the doors to the hospital wing. He wanted to go to sleep until he could wake up and pretend this was a dream caused by too many chocolate frogs. He had to keep pretending nothing was bothering him except Sirius' death, but even that he couldn't really show. At least living at the Dursley's had taught him how to hide his emotions, but he rather missed the freedom he took at Hogwarts before. As he shoved the doors open with just the right hint of a smile, he knew he should have been in Slytherin.

Ron was corralling the last of the scrambled eggs on his plate, while sipping at a straw stuck in a half-full glass of chocolate shake. Hermione's table tray was already set neatly to the side, the silverware crossed as her custom on the plate, and 3 books were open on her bed. Harry nearly sighed with relief that Neville wasn't present, as he knew the summer program issue had to be broached, carefully. "Good morning." Harry pulled the legal books out of his pocket, and after nearly dropping his wand as he pulled it from his sleeve, restored the books.

Hermione gave Harry a curious look, which Harry ignored, choosing to enjoy the sight of Ron laughing so hard it looked as if there was danger of shake coming out his nose. Harry laughed, and after a bit Hermione giggled too. "Ron, remind me to look for a wand holster."

The red head bobbed his head in response, gasping for breath, his face the same color as his locks. Hermione shook her head, a small smile on her lips.

Harry let his smile fade. "So what's up with the summer programs?"

Hermione gasped softly, "Who told you?"

Ron just looked confused, "What are you on, mate?"

"Dean and Seamus were discussing their summer plans. Dean's going to coach soccer. And I was wondering what the fifth years were originally planned to do these last couple weeks. And not only do I get told that the internships and exchange programs were presented to Gryffindor while I was at Occulmency, but that everyone was told Hermione was going to tell me about the programs." Harry worked hard at keeping his face calm, and put his clenched hands in his pockets.

"Harry, you couldn't participate. It wouldn't have been safe."

"Hermione, no one has the right to make decisions for me. I can't believe you would help them keep me in the dark."

"Professor Dumbledore told me it would be cruel to dangle it in front of you then tell you that you couldn't go." Hermione leaned forward, her face pleading for forgiveness, but Harry saw that set of her shoulders that she got when she felt morally superior and smarter than him.

Harry raised a hand, "Professor is a term used for a teacher. One who is supposed to impart knowledge and help protect students. He is not, and has never been my guardian. I am a student, it is his job to teach us and keep us safe in this school. This is the first year that my brushes with death didn't happen on school grounds. You are supposed to be my friend. How do you think I would feel when I found out? Did you think the starvation from the Durselys and Dudley trying to brain me would keep me too weak to get mad when everyone talked about their summers?"

Harry was proud that he kept his rant at a low volume, and wasn't moved at the tears leaking from Hermione's eyes. If she had any defense, she'd be ranting at him. Ron looked torn, and keep glancing back at forth at the two of them. "Hermione, you guys are supposed to be my best friends, my siblings that I never got to have. You're not my mother. And maybe it's my fault for needing a push to do my homework too often, but I need you as a friend, and I can't if you help Dumbledore hide things from me."

"Oh, Harry." She started crying harder, and at Ron's mouthed suggestion Harry gave her a bit of a hug and found himself an instant later nearly squeezed to death, with a wet shoulder.

Harry awkwardly patted her back. "Um, so Ron, anything good in that Quidditch book I grabbed for you?"

Ron laughed. "Yeah, mate. Seems you should have been practicing on a slower broom instead of your Firebolt to get the most out of it."

Ron had waxed on about the merits of practicing on slower brooms, finally getting to the point that he suggested buying Comet 180s for practice, as the school brooms weren't even that new. He was getting into a maneuver specific analysis of the braking charms when Hermione finally pulled away from Harry with a weak laugh, "If only he could break down potions like that."

Ron laughed, "If only there was a potions book with charts, and ingredient analysis."

"But there is!"

"Give me the title, and add it to my wish list." Ron shook his head, "I can't believe you never told us."

Hermione retorted firmly, "Ronald, you've used the book on many a report. It's not my fault that you never looked beyond the page I had the book open to."

Harry didn't want to go there again today. "I bet it's on all the Slytherin's required book lists. Put a copy for each of us on the wish list, Hermione."

She smiled. "Then we best get to these legal books so you can get a lawyer, and be able to buy some books."

"Need to make sure you can get that Comet before you come to my place, so hand over the books."

Harry looked down at the books, to hide his expression from Hermione. "Maybe this is one of the things I should be doing on my own, without asking you for help."

Ron snorted, but Hermione was the one to speak. "I know why you are asking us for help, Harry. It's not like homework at all. This is to remember Sirius, and to use as an excuse to buy us stuff."

Harry looked up, and with his best innocent smile said, "It's not an excuse. It's for Sirius. I think he means for us to squeeze out all the joy we can." He looked down at the floor, "Because who knows how many tomorrows we will have until Voldemort attacks again." With that Harry handed out the books.


Harry stayed until it was time for dinner. They had made great progress, winnowing the list to 5 likely candidates, after noting which lawyers seemed to get their cases done with promptly, and which had cases linger on for years. While he was in the hospital wing, he wrote a letter, which he then copied and addressed to each lawyer, requesting information about the state of their practices, and whether the attorney would be able to take on a new client. Harry had marked the book that had the trials involving the Evans and Potter families from 1981 and 1982. Apparently, he had some distant Potter cousins by the name of Garco in France who challenged his inheritance rights as a half-blood. Hermione had looked like she was about to start questioning him, as he read about the case, so he had to add it to his night-time reading.


Part 10: Squib Protection Statutes

Harry was half-way to the library, when he decided keeping all the books overnight was less suspicious than not returning the ones with the Potter, Evans, and Dumbledore cases. He hoped Dumbledore wasn't watching as he went off on Hermione, but chances are he arranged McGonagall's lack of appearance just to set him off. McGonagall hadn't contacted him. He found himself reweighing what he would tell her. Originally he was going to report complaints about Umbridge, as that is why they claimed they needed to cancel the classes, and then request the materials for the canceled classes whilst casually mentioning the abuse of his Aunt & Uncle. In the parchments, he had discovered that the first step to putting Dumbledore in breach of contract would be allegations of abuse. Of course there was abuse, and fraud in accounting, but unless D knew or had sufficient evidence that he should have known he wasn't fully in breach of the letter of the contract in this regard.

Sirius had clipped a note to the section of Lily's will, (his father's was separate and simple, everything to Lily, and if she was deceased, then her will was to be followed in full) apparently, much like the muggle school he had attended before, it was a requirement for every student to have a yearly physical. Harry had not one. And as such, Dumbledore could claim he was ignorant of the starvation, the bones that had been broken, the failure to thrive that he had seen on his muggle medical records. Dumbledore not be held to the full penalties. Of course, if school hadn't required yearly checks, and if the muggle government wasn't paying for them, he doubted they would have taken him. After all, they didn't pay the fee for new frames for his glasses Dudley broke. But the records themselves could prove the neglect of the Headmaster's duties.

Harry headed to the Owlery, as being early for dinner would only make it possible for McGonagall to brush him off. He called for some of the school owls and gave each owl one letter, he then called Hedwig. He stroked her feathers, "Girl, I need you to bring this to Lawyer Ehrmann wait for a reply, and if he gives you one bring it straight to me, no detours." With a nip to his fingers she was gone.

With the first Flourish & Blotts order and the catalog requests done, and his Gringotts account soon to be 100 galleons lighter, Harry smiled. He still had much to do, but some things were getting done and he didn’t feel as powerless as he usually did when he was contemplating returning to Privet Drive. He briefly thought of getting another book in his interlibrary loan book, as he'd read all the blood sections, but amount of time to save the other pages of the book, would make him too late.

--

Dean and Seamus were talking animatedly when Harry arrived in the Great Hall, Neville had been looking for him, and immediately relaxed into his seat and smiled when he spotted Harry. Only Flittwick and Sinestra were at the head table, rather curiously empty. Harry sat down next to his dorm mates with a smile, and loaded up his plate.

At the end of dinner Hedwig returned, and nearly dropped the letter into his pudding. It looked charred, and the envelope was only evident in that there was a lighter x on the back of the letter. The top of it looked like it had been pierced with her talons. Harry worriedly tended to Hedwig petting her with one hand as he offered her his goblet of water. "Are you okay girl?"

Hedwig nipped his fingers, she looked proud. "What happened girl? Was it a death eater?"

Hedwig shook her head, fluffed up like she was offended at the suggestion. Neville spoke up, "There must be mail restriction wards."

Seamus looked confused, "But why would Harry's mail…" He laughed, "More Boy in the Papers crap, eh?"

Harry laughed, "Never heard it that way, but it is all crap. Guess I need to figure out how to get my mail without it getting charred."

Neville had a tight frown. "Only the recipient is supposed to be able to place mail wards."

"So Harry what was worthy of burning. Got a fangirl sending you her unmentionables?" Dean joked.

Harry opened the letter only long enough to check the signature. "Only a reply to a letter I sent earlier. Nothing worth this drama. Maybe the teachers are working on the school wards or something." Hedwig bumped his hand and flew off.

"Hermione probably would know." With that the owl conversation ended, and when some of the fourth years came over to settle a debate about whether quidditch or football crowd riots were more dangerous, Harry and Neville snuck away.

---

After they were in the Room of Requirement, outside of which they talked about dueling, Harry and Neville settled into the comfortable armchairs the room provided. The room was bare; the walls were stark white. There was a table and two bookshelves full of books and a large padded dueling area on the far side of the room. Just in case, Harry cast silenceos on the eight corners of the room and the door before he pulled the letter from his pocket.

"Boy, I think the room really doesn't want to be accused of spying on you." Neville said with a wary tone to his voice.

Harry concentrated for a moment, and the walls turned deep blue. "There, a little less mental ward. I wonder if the other lawyers I contacted are going to be able to contact me."

Neville looked appalled. "That's against both Hogwart's bylaws and Ministry laws, probably even international laws! You can't block anyone's right to counsel."

Harry snorted, "Probably why I've never been taught anything about the Magical World. If I don't know my rights, how can I know if they've been violated?"

Neville replied, "Well, let's fix that. You've been raised as a muggle, right?"

"House-elf muggle, yes."

"And I bet you weren't given a copy of Mundane or Magical or any orientation materials."

"There are orientation materials?"

Neville ran his hand through his hair, "Merlin, Harry, the Minister should have asked you a few questions, then Dumbledore would have been out on his arse. It's ridiculous how many laws he's broken. You are not only protected because you are the sole magical heir to old families, but you are still protected by the squib protection statutes until you are declared the magical heir of the Evans line."

"What the heck are the squib protection statutes?"

"Well, I think I've told you a couple times about my great-uncle, but not knowing about the Statutes probably made it sound like he was trying to kill me." Neville paused for a moment, "Anyway, about the time of the Magna Carta, protections were given to squibs, charms at birth that would take them to the nearest muggle hospital if they were attacked in a way that could severely hurt them. Helped with muggle relations, after all, hard to get along with them when they see the Wizards killing their squib children." Neville chuckled darkly, "That's why Gran didn't kick my Uncle out of the estate, he'd proved I wasn't a complete squib."

Harry didn't know what to say, so he kept his silence.

"I wondered why you let Malfoy call you a half-blood. If nothing had happened to your parents, Harry, you'd still be famous. Your mom wasn't because your family was so old that the heir could only be a male. But all the old families are taught about Gambling Nicholas Evans when they learn about wizarding contracts. "

"Who?"

"See, Harry, your great or maybe great-great grandfather Nicholas Evans was a gambler. The story goes he constantly lost small amounts, but his marriage contract had arranged with Gringotts that he was only given an allowance for this habit of his. Anyways, he thought he was finally striking it lucky, which spurred him on to bet larger amounts. But rather than save his winnings, he spent them, apparently telling his wife he had given up gambling. So then came the World Cup and he bet more than he had. He didn't go to his wife, instead he got a loan from a cousin from a bastard branch of the family, Marvolo or something like that, anyways he swore on his magic and that of his firstborn heirs that he'd repay the cousin within a week. He didn't. And his wife didn't find out until her son was a squib. She was granted the first divorce with full custody of children and property for a woman in Wizarding Britain. And after that magical contracts by law could only be enforced on the signatory parties. It effectively granted children rights as people not property, thus leading to the Squib Protection statues."

Harry's head felt like it was spinning. "So my mom wasn't a muggleborn, she was just the second-born."

"Not just the second-born, Harry. The first witch to receive her power in at least two generations. She must have been powerful. Making you even more so, as the first heir." Neville stood then and started to pace a bit. "You have a cousin, right? A muggle cousin?"

"Or squib I guess."

"Then your parents must not have been able to repay the debt."

"Debt?"

"Losing your magic for good is considered too harsh of a penalty to not have opportunity of relief." Neville stopped pacing, looking directly at Harry, "Possibly your Aunt refused to pay any part of the debt."

"Why would she have to?"

Neville went and sat back down, "Because then possibly she, but definitely her heirs would get back their magic. She'd be considered party to the contract. But if she got her magic yours could be less, but you'd have to risk it anyway if you want your kids to have magic."

"What?"

"Well, Harry, it would mean that you'd have to be second born." Neville's face was apologetic, "Until the contract is paid, and an adult male is declared Heir, all your family would be under squib protection."

"But then how could Voldemort kill my mum?"

"There's no magical protection that can save you from the killing curse."

They sat in silence for a while.

"I guess I need this lawyer for more than my godfather's estate, huh."

"Sorry, Harry. But I think you do."

Harry stood up. "Neville, do you know why we aren't supposed to do magic over the summer?"

Neville shook his head.

"Well, you probably shouldn't let anyone know, but my Godfather told me that it was supposed to be so we could rebuild our magic cores after the end of year tests."

"The OWLs weren't fun, but not enough to cause magical exhaustion."

"And there, Neville, is why wizards today are so much weaker than in any of the stories Binns tells, except for maybe Durmstrang, and the Death Eaters." Harry stood and walked to the dueling area. "Every time you use all your magic, or nearly so, your core grows."

Neville had followed and stood a good paces from Harry facing him, "So, they are making us weaker on purpose."

Harry nodded, "He didn't say if it was the Ministry or Dumbledore but it must be on purpose. Sirius said the Slytherins and the Ravenclaws both still passed it down, very secretly. He only knew because his family was Slytherin and thought he would be. He told his friends, but they didn't make it known because Dumbledore had to be at least not protesting the change."

Neville sighed, "Meaning the students who would be more likely to ignore the rules for knowledge or power's sake would be more powerful."

"And the reason it was before summer break, was that it needs to regrow naturally, with time. Any potions would weaken rather than grow your core."

Neville looked at Harry, "So how do we use all our magic without Dumbledore knowing?"

Harry smiled.

..ooOoo..
Sign up to rate and review this story