Categories > Original > Humor > Five Minute Soap Dish

Week 39

by johmichaels 0 reviews

Kelly tries to let Gia down gently

Category: Humor - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor,Romance - Published: 2007-09-22 - Updated: 2007-09-23 - 1026 words - Complete

0Unrated

Week 39

“Thanks for dropping by Kelly,” Gia said, leading Kelly into her living room, “We should really try to get together more, the four of us.”

“The four of us?” Kelly asked, collapsing onto a couch.

“Yeah, you, me, Mark and Nick,” Gia said, “Do you want a coffee?”

“No, I can’t stay long. I was really only popping in to check in on you,” Kelly said, “So, the banking’s still going well?”

“Yeah, I’m still enjoying it, as much as you can enjoy banking. Looking forward to graduating next year,” Gia explained pacing around, moving junk around the living room, “Finally get the degree paying for itself, you know?”

“Oh, I know,” Kelly said, “Well, if you’re looking for a place to work once you’re done, I can give you a good word at my bank if you like.”

“Thanks, that’d be nice.”

Kelly paused, reluctant to continue the conversation in this direction, but knew she must, “So, how are things going with Mark?”

Gia joined Kelly on the couch, groaning, because it was a thing she didn’t relish talking about. “Better,” she finally said.

“He’s done a bit more…in that department?”

“Well, no,” Gia said, “But I know why now. His last girlfriend basically slept with him then dumped him. No wonder he’s so withdrawn.”

Kelly pondered over this, “But that doesn’t make sense, Gia. He told me his last relationship lasted months. But, the kind of girls who would dump someone after sex-they wouldn’t keep them going for months on end. If they couldn’t bed their partners fast enough, they’d find someone else.”

Gia shrugged, “I only know what he told me. And it seems to be fine. I mean, we had a fight last night which brought this up, but if it brought up these insecurities in him, then it must be good, mustn’t it?”

Kelly’s eyebrows raised, “Last night, you say? So, Mark came over for-“

“For a dinner, and he wanted to leave early. So, I convinced him to stay here, then he got mad, and I got mad, then he told me about his ex, and I realised he needed time,” Gia said, with a big smile, “So we worked through it?”

“Gia, did you actually believe what you just said?” Kelly said, “I mean, ignoring that he’s giving different stories to different people, what he told you is so convoluted and melodramatic. These sort of things don’t happen in the real world. And, do you really think you’re all okay now?”

“Well,” Gia’s smile dropped, “I don’t know. But he’s nice. Outside Nick…and you, he’s the nicest guy I know, or have known for quite a while. And I’m willing to make it work.”

“I get that, Gia, and I think Mark’s nice too. But, just because he seems nice, it shouldn’t be an excuse for him to walk all over you and your needs. You should tell him what you want out of this relationship, and find out why he really has a problem with it.”

“But…but what if I’m the problem?” Gia asked, pleading with her eyes, clutching Kelly’s hand, “What if I’m not good enough, and he’s just not attracted to me?”

“If he isn’t, and I just said if he isn’t, then it won’t be for something you can change. You’ll just have to end the relationship,” Kelly explained, “There are many, many people out there for you, Gia. Lot’s of people who find you attractive. If he doesn’t feel anything to you, don’t resign yourself to a relationship where you won’t be happy.”

“Who else? Who else finds me attractive?”

“Well…” Kelly didn’t want to say it, but only one name sprung to mind, so she murmured, “Steve.”

“Goddamn it, I thought I shut him up when I had lunch with him,” Gia said, “I’ll admit it-he’s not as much of an arse as I thought he was. He’s paying for some of the things he did. But that still doesn’t mean I’ll ever like, or even stand him.”

“Hey! I don’t want you and Steve to get together either. I’m just saying that other people, of which Steve is only one, find you attractive, so if it doesn’t work out with Mark, you shouldn’t think of yourself as a spinster just yet.”

“Yeah, I’m sure you’re right. I just need some reassuring sometimes, y’know?” Gia said, smiling a bit, “But anyway, enough about me-are you still single?”

“Hmm, not quite,” Kelly explained, “I’m engaging in a nice bit of serial monogamy at the moment.”

“Isn’t that a bit…unfair to the guys?” Gia asked.

“Probably, but the way I see it, of the five, odds are at best only one won’t piss me off within a month. I mean, most of them will probably do one of the most terrible things I find an instantly dumpable events and need to be let go.”

“Oh, and what sort of deeds are they?”

“Nothing specific. Usually they change with my moods and the weather,” Kelly said, “Miss Saigon’s a constant, though. If you like it, you are gone”

Gia nodded, before thinking, “Getting back to Mark, there’s something I don’t understand. If he’s not attracted to me, why would he still date me? Is he just being polite, afraid to hurt my feelings?”

“Could be,” Kelly said, cringing on the inside, “But to tell the truth, that’s why I came here today. You see, late last night-“

At that moment the door bell rung, and Gia leapt up to answer it.

“Wait a moment, I’ll just get the door,” Gia said, leaving Kelly mid-sentence. Opening the door, she was disappointed to see Steve standing there.

“Gia, I love you, and Mark’s a repressed homosexual,” Steve said quickly.

“Goddamn it!” Kelly shouted.
Sign up to rate and review this story