Categories > Books > Harry Potter

enDEERed

by PINKhairedLOVER 3 reviews

Lily and James are fighting again—BIG SURPRISE. Since their third year at Hogwarts, James has seen Lily as smart, funny, stubborn, and beautiful. But now that it’s their seventh year, James see...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Characters: James,Lily,Sirius - Published: 2007-10-05 - Updated: 2007-10-05 - 3438 words - Complete

0Unrated
James entered the Great Hall and made his way over to the Gryffindor table. Taking a seat next to his best mate, Sirius, James came face to face with Lily Evans. She had been leaning over and whispering something into Sirius’s ear. When James sat down, she straightened up with a scowl.

“Potter,” said Lily through clenched teeth.

“Evans,” replied James half-heartedly.

“I can’t digest my breakfast with all this tension.” said Sirius as he stood and began to back away.

James turned to face his friend with a look that clearly said, “Please do not leave me here with her.” Fortunately, Lily had taken no notice because she was too busy giving Sirius a glare that said, “I am so not done with you.”

“See what I mean? You two should loosen up, you’re too young to be so miserable.” And with that, he turned and walked quickly from the hall grinning slightly.

Reluctantly, James turned in his chair to face Lily, who was determinedly staring down at her plate. Finally meeting Lily’s eyes, James said, “Come on Lil’, when are you going to let it go?”

“I think the appropriate answer would be, NEVER!”

“Fine, have it your way Evans. I’ll be in the library if you change your mind.”

With one last obnoxious and suggestive look, James stood up and left the hall, not even touching his breakfast. Lily had rolled her eyes and once again directed her attention to the food that lay before her. Her fork was halfway to her mouth when she stopped dead. A picture of James’s sad and dejected face flashed before her mind’s eye, Man, he is kind of cute when he’s not being an arrogant pig, thought Lily as she began to eat once more.

~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~

James was walking absentmindedly in the general direction of the library. Fiddling with his messy hair, he recalled how beautiful Lily had looked this morning. Clenching his fists, James thought, why do I act like such an idiot when I am around her? Still distracted, he turned yet another corner. James’s mind was brought back to attention as a door on his right flew open with aggressive force.

“What the…” James had begun to say when some unknown force slammed him hard and propelled him through the open broom closet door. Slamming onto the dust strewn floor, James sat up quickly to see who his attacker was. But before he was able to get a good look, the door shut and its lock clicked into place.

Walking up to the door, James used every spell he knew to unlock it or to break the door down. All spells were unsuccessful and he resigned to the fact that he was stuck. Sitting down on an upturned bucket with his back resting against a wall, James closed his eyes. He would have to wait until someone found him. It would either be the caretaker looking for cleaning supplies or one of his mates with the aid of the Marauders’ map. Once again, he drifted off into a daydream in which he and Lily played the main characters.

~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~

Lily finished her breakfast and decided to go find Sirius so they could finish their earlier conversation. Unfortunately, her friends had a different plan. Just as Lily stood to leave, her friends Kara, Ashley, and Brie sat down around her.

“Lil’ stay for awhile, we haven’t had a chance to talk in ages.” said Kara.

“We talked last night.” said Lily.

“That doesn’t count, we were talking and you were reading.” said Brie as she pointed at herself, Kara, and Ashley.

“That’s not true!” defended Lily.

“If it isn’t true, then tell us what we talked about.” retorted Ashley.

“Come on, Ash, don’t make me do this.” said Lily.

“Go on, Lil’, tell us.” said Brie.

“You know very well that I don’t remember!” finished Lily.

“Fine, then you agree to stay here and talk.” said Kara.

“FINE WHAT-EVER!” said Lily.

Sitting back down, Lily looked at all her friends in turn waiting for them to speak.

“Why aren’t you talking?” asked Lily.

“Someone’s in a great mood...”

“So that was some fight you had last night with James.” said Kara talking over Brie.

“Was that supposed to make me feel better?” snapped Lily.

“When are you going to stop fighting James and start snogging him?” asked Ashley.

“Probably the same day Brie stops pretending to not like Sirius.” retorted Lily.

With that, Lily stood and swept from the hall deciding to go outside to enjoy the last few days of Fall. Walking down the slopping lawns of Hogwarts, Lily walked towards the shore of the chilly lake as leaves crunched beneath her feet. Lily sat under a large tree and watched the leaves fall lazily to the ground. Falling into a hazy daydream, Lily recalled the argument from the night before.

Lily was holding open the door to the Transfiguration classroom. One by one, the perfects from all four houses filed into the room and took seats near the front of the classroom. As Head Boy and Girl, Lily and James took their normal positions at the front of the group and turned to face their younger peers.

“All in favor of beginning the monthly prefects meeting, say ‘Aye’.” said Lily.

The room resounded with an “Aye,” all except for James who had managed to say “NO” over all the other voices.

“Majority rules, the meeting is now started. Okay, off to business then, who has new announcements?” continued Lily ignoring James.
No one raised their hands voluntarily and Lily was about to pick a Ravenclaw boy when the entire group began to snicker. Moments before, James had brandished his wand behind his back and gave it a menacing wave. Lily was about to speak again, but the group was doubled over in silent laughter. Little did Lily know that, at the current moment, her hair was bubblegum pink with glaring green highlights. James flicked his wand once more and the pink hair disappeared. The meeting settled down and Lily began to speak once more. A half an hour later they were working through the new “Banned Items” list from the caretaker. Half the students were asleep, so James decided to liven up the meeting once more. Again, he flicked his wand and he watched in satisfaction as Lily’s eyebrows grew together. The students that were still awake laughed uncontrollably, which caused the other students to wake up. When everyone was finally paying attention, James reversed the jinx. Lily, slightly confused, started once again and the room fell once more into a deep stupor.

Another twenty minutes had gone by and James was now bored himself. The meeting was nearly over and he decided that it was time to have some more fun. With one last flick of his wand, Lily’s head slumped over with the weight of two fully grown deer antlers. Lifting her hands to her head, her fingers came in contact with the antlers poking from her scalp. Not waiting to see what was going to happen next, James ran full speed from the room shouting, “All in favor of calling this meeting adjourned say ‘Aye’.” Just before whipping out the door of the room, James heard the group respond with a resounding “Aye.”

He hadn’t run far before he heard Lily’s feet pounding behind him. Turning his head to see her, he saw that the antlers were gone and she looked ready to kill. The chase continued as James ran towards the Gryffindor portrait hole. Shouting the password at the Fat Lady, James stumbled into the common room where the rest of the house was sitting. Righting himself, James went to talk with his friends, thinking, she won’t do anything in front of all these people. The sound of Lily running through the portrait hole made James turn quickly around. Reacting as quickly as possible, James ducked behind Sirius.

“Oh, no mate, I am not getting involved this time.” said Sirius as he sidestepped his friend.

Lily saw James’s head emerge from the crowd of people and continued her steady pace towards her victim.
“POTTER, I AM GOING TO KILL…” but her thought was cut short.

As a last ditch attempt to get away, James stuck out his foot as Lily ran by. Lily was too furious to notice and tripped, immediately grabbing the first thing she could reach. In this case, it was the hem of James’s robes. Thrown off balance, James landed on top of his long time crush. Wolf whistles could be heard throughout the room as James stared down into Lily’s eyes.

“Potter, get off of me.” said Lily in a dangerously low voice.

“Nope, don’t think I will, I kind of like the view from here.” replied James with a cocky smile.

At first, it seemed that Lily would not react. But with a sudden surge of anger, Lily swung her knee forward kicking James right between the thighs. James immediately rolled off of Lily and curled into a fetal position. With an out of breath voice, he said, “Don’t know if I deserved that.”

With that, Lily began to rant, “Deserve that?! Are you kidding me? You deserve more than that you jerk! Always playing practical jokes, and always undermining my authority. You made me look like a fool and now I have to see those people everyday! How will they respect me when they can picture me with antlers? Why me; Why do you always pick on me? Don’t bother asking me out again, it doesn’t matter how much you beg. JAMES POTTER, I WILL NEVER GO OUT WITH YOU!”


The image faded from Lily’s mind and she focused once more on the falling leaves. Remembering last night’s events, Lily’s cheeks burned red once more, but her anger quickly subsided. Remembering, that after the fight Brie had come back to their room clutching a letter. It was from James and she had half a mind to throw it away without reading it. But looking down, she noticed that James had taken the time to write nicely, compared to the scrawl that he usually called his handwriting. Opening the letter, Lily began to read the heart felt apology that the letter contained. She was ready to put all the childish games behind, her but she doubted that James would want to do the same.

Lily stood up and shook the dirt from her jeans. Remembering the large pile of Defense homework sitting in her school bag, Lily stood and made her way to the library. The halls were completely absent of people and Lily walked silently down the corridors. She had just turned a corner when the sound of someone banging on a door filled her ears. Tentatively, Lily walked forward to the broom closet in question. Suddenly, the door flew open and, before Lily could see the person on the other side; she was pushed forcefully through the door.

Slamming the door closed once more, the mysterious kidnapper locked the door and sat on the floor with his back against it. When settled, Sirius removed James’s invisibility cloak and tucked it into his school bag. Pulling out his Transfiguration homework, he thought, it’s for their own good. And if Lily does kill James, I’m sure that he deserved it.

~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~

James had had enough, he had been in the closet for forty-five minutes and he was tired of its gloomy interior. He stood and began to bang against the wooden door. He had done this for five minutes straight when suddenly the door swung open to reveal the outline of a girl. But James did not have the chance to see who it really was, before the person was forcibly pushed into the room. Falling to the floor once again, James felt the weight of the newest prisoner fall against him. As the door slammed and the lock clicked, James was once again plunged into darkness. Pulling out his wand, he conjured light. The face of the person on top of him began to swim into focus.

“Lily… I mean, Evans, what are you doing here?”

“Why don’t you tell me, Potter, this is obviously one of your crazy pranks?”

“I have been in here for forty-five minutes; trust me, even I don’t have that much commitment to a prank.”

“Right,” said Lily with a disbelieving stare.

“Are you going to get off of me Evans, or have you finally caved into your desire for me?” said James with a jaunty voice.

Lily jumped up and backed away from James.

“Didn’t think so,” said James in a slightly dejected voice as he stood and sat once more on his upturned bucket.

Lily walked purposefully towards the door and began to cast the spells to get out of the closet.

“Don’t bother, I already tried them all, twice.” added James.

Banging both fists on the closed door, Lily let out a frustrated scream and went to sit on an upturned crate near the back of the closet. Sitting as far as possible from James, Lily did nothing more than stare at her feet. Bored once more, James began to drum his fingers against the side of his metal bucket. Lily had listened to ten minutes of the pounding before she finally broke.

“Potter, give it a rest will you?” said Lily exasperatedly.

“Nope,” said James as he began to tap louder.

Another minute went by when Lily said, “Potter, will you PLEASE stop tapping.”

“Nope.”

“Why the hell not?”

“Don’t use my surname.”

“Are you kidding me?”

“Not at all.” replied James shortly.

“I won’t say it.” said Lily
stubbornly.

“Fine,” said James as he began to tap louder and faster.

“Will… you… please… stop tapping…James?”

When Lily finished the thought, James ceased tapping the bucket. Looking up James replied, “Now that wasn’t so hard now was it, Dear.”

“Potter, I am not your dear!”

“Could have fooled me last night with those antlers, and don’t use my surname.”

“That isn’t funny!”

“Well, the prefects thought it was pretty funny.”

Without warning Lily stood, crossing the closet in seconds she swung her hand out in front of her to slap James. James saw what was happening and grabbed Lily’s hand that was inches from his face. Pulling her hand away, Lily sat down on her crate again.

“All that stuff in your letter, was it all just a lie to get me to forgive you.”

“No.”

“That’s all you have to say?”

“I would say more but I am too busy trying to protect myself.”

“So, say the rest.”

“Only if you promise to stay sitting on your crate.”

“Fine!” promised Lily

James stood and began to pace the length of the broom closet.

“I wrote the letter because I knew you would never hear me out. I have had all these things I wanted to say since third year. But somehow, I always manage to make you mad before I can say them. I wrote you the letter last night because I wanted you to hear everything for once. Lily, I keep making these mistakes and you are always the one who gets hurt. I feel like an idiot because I can’t help but show off when I am around you. All of those other girls I dated were nothing compared to you. You are still the only one who can make my brain turn to mush with a single smile. In a future that is so unsure, all I can really picture is that red headed beauty standing by my side through it all. I am ready to put all these childish games behind us. I am ready to be …”

But James was unable to finish the rest of his speech because at that moment Lily flew forward. Pinning James to the closet door, Lily Evans and James Potter kissed for the first time. Slightly disappointed, Lily felt James pull away.

“Evans, you promised to stay on your crate.”

Backing away, Lily turned and walked over to her crate. Crossing her arms across her chest she said, “Fine.”

Worried that he had really made her mad, James moved closer to where she sat. Looking deep into her eyes, he said, “Evans, you do know that I was just joking?”

A radiant smile crossed her
beautiful face as Lily said, “Don’t use my surname, Potter.”

Standing once more, she kissed him with every once of passion she had. Distracted, the pair backed absentmindedly against the closet door. James flipped around so that Lily had her back against the door. Their kiss deepened and James put one hand on the door and the other around Lily’s waist. He felt her shiver slightly as their kiss continued on. Lily brought one hand up and began to play with his messy hair as her other hand found his side and drew him closer. The kiss seemed to go on forever. The pair was unable to separate for more than the few seconds it took to take a deep breath.

~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~ >< ~

Sirius had heard Lily’s scream and knew that she had just discovered she was stuck inside. Pulling out the Marauders’ map, he watched as the dots that were Lily and James sat as far from each other as possible. There was a near miss once when Lily had come very close to James, but it happened too quickly.

“Sirius, what are you doing out here?” asked Brie who had just turned the corner. Putting his finger to his mouth, Sirius beckoned the beautiful Brie to his side. Feeling her presence at his side made slight shivers run the length of his spine. Brie gasped as she saw the map, “Are Lily and James in there right now?”

Nodding his head, Sirius and Brie continued to watch the map. James had started pacing back and forth. Brie gasped as Lily lunged suddenly at James’s continually moving dot. They both felt the thud as the pair in the closet hit the door.

“Do you think he’s okay?” asked Brie.

“I’m sure he’s fine, see there she is going back to the corner,” whispered Sirius. And sure enough, Lily’s dot was still once more. They watched in bated breath as James approached Lily once more. This time when the dots collided they did not separate. Yet another thud announced that the pair was locked in some kind of embrace.

“Well, either Lily is strangling him, or they have finally stopped arguing and started snogging.”

Brie had blushed when he said these words and backed away a few inches. Saddened by her reaction, Sirius stuffed away the map and said, “Stand back, it’s time to reveal the new couple.”

Standing up, Sirius undid the magical charm binding the lock. Stepping to the side, he turned the handle of the door. Sure enough, James and Lily tumbled through the door locked in a tight embrace. Startled by the change of scenery, both teenagers stood up looking slightly embarrassed. Tense silence filled the hall until Brie broke it by saying, “Took you long …” But her words were cut short because Sirius couldn’t hold back any longer.
Gently holding both sides of Brie’s face, his lips met hers in a passionate kiss.

James smiled weakly and took hold of Lily’s hand. Lily was surprised, but she thought it was a loving gesture.
James cleared his throat, “well, thanks for finally getting us out of there; we’ll let you get back to whatever you were doing.”

Sirius only let go of Brie long enough so that Lily could hand him a shining golden galleon. He accepted his payment. Taking Brie by the hand, he led her into the now unoccupied closet. James watched in disbelief as his friend shut the door and locked it behind them. Surprising even herself, Lily said, “I guess that closet’s taken. We should probably go find our own.”

Walking hand in hand, Lily and James headed toward the Gryffindor common room. Lily smiled slightly as she looked up at James’s beaming face.

It had been all her idea. She just needed to wait for the right moment, because after all, nothing could stop Lily Evans from getting what she truly wanted.
Sign up to rate and review this story