Categories > Original > Drama

Run Away's

by -ShortStuff- 0 reviews

Three kids with crap home lives decided to run away when one is chucked out, the other is abused and the others parents split up.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Published: 2007-10-11 - Updated: 2007-10-11 - 1278 words

0Unrated
Chapter one

It was lunchtime at Duncrest High School. The sun was high in the sky, spreading heat which enhanced the foul odour of high school kids. Colin Ferrat, Michael Jordan and Kiara José sat on a bench at the back of the school. It was the only quiet part of the school apart from when there was a fight, which turned the quit area into a shortcut to the playing fields which was where most of the fights took place. Colin lay back and closed his eyes and sighed. Despite the heat he kept his long-sleeved jumper on and a sweat band on his right wrist. He had a reason to keep these on and hoped nobody found out why. Well, not until the scars disappear which wasn’t going at the fastest rate possible. Kiara leaned on him gently.
“What’s up?” she asked.
“Oh, nothing!” he replied, the sun beating on his face, “just mum and dad arguing again!”
“Same here!” Michael added.
“Why do all of our parents suck?” she complained, and Colin opened one eye. He brown hair flowed around her neck and he stared in surprise as she puffed out her chest. He coughed and she turned around. He closed his eye.
“We should just run away!” he said sarcastically. Kiara raised her eyebrows.
“Qué! That’s a bit drastic!” she laughed.
“God, I love it when you speak Spanish! It’s so…” he trailed off.
“so what?” she asked, smiling.
“Sexy!” he muttered and went bright red.
“You, Colin, are a dirty little perv that cant get a girlfriend!” she laughed and Michael nodded in agreement. Colin went red and hunched up.
“So, eh, are you actually Spanish or Scottish?” he asked, changing the topic quickly.
“Well you’ve asked me that about every day since you’ve met me,” She received a puzzled look from Colin, “Spanish, born and bred!”

The bell went at ten to one and they split up to go to there classes. Kiara and Colin were in English and Michael was in Modern Studies. Kiara was sitting in English when something hit her lightly on the head. She turned around and a piece of paper landed on her lap. She unfolded it and read the small note: Ugly Bth!
She held back tears. Just because she didn’t plaster herself in foundation or put her hair up in fuzzy scrunches the girls at the back always picked on her. It was either small notes like that or pulling her chair away from her when she was sitting down. She brushed tears from her eyelashes and sniffed. The girls at the back laughed and threw more paper at her.

Michael was watching the Modern Studies video when a boy turned round to him and whispered, “Are you gay?”. He ignored it and kept quiet.
“Are you though?” they persisted.
“Fuck off!” he whispered back.
“He’s gay!” the guy whispered to his friend.
“IM NOT GAY!” Michael yelled. He stood up and his chair fell to the floor.
“Get out!” the teacher yelled.
“What! No…” he said.
“Then get to the rector!” she yelled, “NOW!”

Colin sat in English. The teacher was reading quite an interesting book called ‘Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry’.
“Show us your scars!” someone whispered. He turned round quickly and stared at a small boy opposite him.
“Emo!” someone whispered again. He stared round at the class.
“Where’s your razor?”
“SHUT UP!!” he yelled.
“Get out!” the teacher yelled, “Now!”

Kiara looked out the door and saw Colin standing against the wall. He smiled at her and she waved.
“Miss, can I go to the toilet?” she asked, putting her hand up at the same time. The teacher wrote her an exit pass and she walked out, shutting the door deliberately.
“Hiya!” she said, “What you out for?” she asked, leaning against the door.
“Erm, I can’t tell you!” he said, head down.
“Yes, you can!” she said gently.
“Well, I…” he faltered and pulled back his sweat band revealing the long grey gash across his wrist.
“Oh… Colin!” she said, “Infierno sangriento! Why did you do that?” she asked.
“I don’t know!” he said honestly, “but in English someone kept whispering stuff and I lashed out.”
“Colin!” she leaned forward and held his shoulder affectionately. He leaned forward and kissed her. Two things happened.

1. She pulled away.
2. His teacher walked out of the classroom.

“Oh!” the teacher gasped.

“Come in!” the rector yelled. Michael opened the door and sat in the seat in front of a desk. Behind the desk was a large man. His chin stretched over his shirt and his blonde hair thinned over his grey head. He looked like he hadn’t slept for a while; with light red rings around his eyes.
“Now, Michael, this is the third time this week!” He said.
“So…” Michael grunted.
“What’s going on? Is there anything I can do to help?”
“Well, unless you can get me into my friends classes, there isn’t much, no!” Michael thought of Colin and Kiara and about what they would be doing the now.
“That’s Kiara José and Collin Ferrat you’re talking about isn’t it?”
“Well, no one else is my friend are they, they all seem to think im gay!” he grunted.
“Well, your sexuality is none of their business!” he said.
“IM NOT GAY!” Michael yelled. He thumped his hands on the desk and a small china pot fell to the floor; shattering as it clattered to the floor.

The last bell rang and Colin sighed. He ran out of Business Management and waited for Kiara, who was in the classroom next to his. They walked through the corridors silently.
“I’m…” they said in unison. They laughed quietly and left the building through large red doors. Kiara entered the bus first and Colin followed, flashing his Smart Card at the driver before making his way up the stairs. They found Michael in the middle of a huge crowd. Kiara shooed them away and sat down with Michael.
“What were they doing?” she asked. Colin leaned forward, eager to hear a new piece of gossip.
“I… got excluded!” he muttered.
“How long?” she asked.
“Two weeks!”
“Why?” Colin butted into the conversation.
“Disruption in class and violence behaviour!”
“Violence?” Kiara gasped.
“I knocked a vase off Mr Karie’s desk!” he huffed and sat back, staring out the window. Rain started lashing down on the windows. They sat in silence for a few minutes until the first years started piling up on someone at the front of the bus.
“Grow up!” shouted Kiara.
“Fuck off back to Spain!” someone shouted back.
“Make me!” she yelled back, looking to see who said it. A tall second year came towards them. He picked Michael out of his chair and stared at Kiara.
“What did you say?” he asked. She replied with a lot of spanish and he punched her hard. Colin jumped up and swung his bag across the back of the tall guys head. Kiara got up and jumped onto his back, digging her nails into his skin. Blood dripped from her nails and she let go. The second year ran downstairs and starting talking to his friends. Panting, Kiara and Colin sat down again. With in minutes, first years started jumping on Colin and he was pushed to the floor, wedged under the seat in front. He rolled along the floor and the first years starting reaching for him. He pulled out a pen from his pocket and started stabbing at the hands.
Sign up to rate and review this story