Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > The Sake of Hope

The Sake of Hope

by JulieKuzon 1 review

It picks up with Zuko and Iroh coming to Ba Sing Se in disguise as "Lee" and "Mushi." It's completely different than the show after that point. Zuko meets the main character, Sake, who lives with h...

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: PG - Genres: Fantasy,Romance - Characters: Zuko - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2007-10-21 - Updated: 2007-10-21 - 421 words

0Unrated
Prologue:

They say only hope can save you. Well, when the Fire Nation takes your parents, or your brother, or even your sister away from you, sometimes it feels like nothing can save you. They sweep through your country, your own home, and they kill- ruthless, powerful, hateful killing. Fire shows no mercy, and its wielder abides by its laws. And when your soldiers march to a battleground, they are knocked from their feet before they even blink.
It’s an epidemic.
But amid all of this fire, all this death and destruction, there is still hope. You can smile, you can breathe, you can live. All it takes is a few words. Maybe hold someone until their eyes are dry, or listen to them and their story. No one is a failure and everyone is family. When you have no one, in a sense, you have everyone. When all the families are broken and scattered, when the last earth benders are picked out, and people don’t try to get by, they just wait and see if they do, that is when all hope is lost. But, like a chain reaction, as soon as you give in to despair all of your courage, all your life courses through you again. So here in my city, Dim Jan, we are all a force at work. We breathe as one body and our eyes still light up. People here are downtrodden, but they are hard too, like the earth they stand on- the kingdom they represent. So within these city limits, we will outlast them.
Anywhere but here, hope is something or legend. But the only legends we know are the bedtime stories. Every night the children are told of magical creatures and magical times, but never hope. Hope is something they breathe and know. They understand that it is real, which is good. They are taught to keep living and preserve their being.
So I, hardly a child anymore, know about hope and legend- hope and myth. I know the difference between the two like I know the sun on my face and the wind in my hair. As it ripples my hair across my face, behind my shoulders, and down my back, I can sense its clarity. I was taught to see the obviousness of the breath of life and the kiss of death. So, when I stand in the sunrise of a new day, I know who I am. I am Sake Lyamsu, and I am a living legend.
Sign up to rate and review this story