Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Moonlight

Scroll Thirteen: Sorrow

by kirayasha 0 reviews

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Characters: Sesshoumaru - Warnings: [V] [R] - Published: 2007-10-24 - Updated: 2007-10-24 - 17226 words

1Moving
Moonlight

By kira

Scroll thirteen: Sorrow

Author’s note: Thank you, Ith, for sticking with me and continuing to beta this for me. And thank you too, notoes-chan, for looking it over when I was stuck and encouraging me to get up off my butt and finish it. ; p

To my faithful readers, I’m sorry I took so long to get the next chapter out, but writer’s block struck at the most inopportune time.

For Lizzie who loved this from the beginning…

FYI: The hour of the ox is 1:00 am to 2:59am.

Directions are also labeled according to the Zodiac. For example the direction of the rat is north, ox is north/northeast, tiger is east/northeast and so on until you arrive back at the rat.



Izayoi painfully sat up and as she pulled the remains of her kimono around her, she saw that the dragon was not gone. Instead he viciously backhanded the dog queen, sending her sprawling to the ground. She sat there, transfixed, unable to look away as Ryukotsusei grabbed the dog queen by the neck and hauled her to her feet. She watched helplessly as he savagely beat Inukouhi senseless. For several long tense minutes Izayoi took in the violence before her, and taking a deep breath, she started screaming./Stop it, stop it, stop it!! Oh sweet Kami-sama, please make him stop before he kills her!! Please!!/


“Bitch! What did I tell you about making noise?” Ryukotsusei turned towards her, and having tired of the dog queen, he quickly came after her again. Izayoi screamed again and again; her throat raw and her heart hammering in her chest as she saw her death look her in the face. The human woman shrank back before him, nearly paralyzed with fear and hating herself for being unable to come to the dog queen’s aid. She whimpered as she braced herself for the blow that never came. When Izayoi finally dared to open her eyes he was gone. Cradling her broken wrist, she lurched to her feet and stumbled over to where Inukouhi lay motionless on the ground in a pool of blood.

888

Inutaisho had found them. He had been sitting in his study, going over the final draft of the treaty he had been going to sign with the dragon, when a nagging feeling of dread had settled over him. When the dog general found himself rereading the same paragraph over and over again, he set the treaty down and closed his eyes. As he tried to order his thoughts, his mind kept coming back to an image of the two women in his life as an icy stab of fear pierced his heart.

Inutaisho got up and left the room.

“My lord!”

“Eihei-san.”

“Hai!” The young palace guard stood at attention.

“Gather some men and discretely start a search for my wife and Izayoi-hime.” The dog general smiled. “It may be nothing more than an old man’s foolishness, but I have a feeling something’s amiss concerning the women.”

“Hai!”

Inutaisho nodded. “When you find them, bring them here. If I’m not here, have the women wait. Understood?”

“Hai!”

“Good; now go,” the dog general said. He watched the young guard leave, and after waiting several heartbeats, he took off in the opposite direction. He hurried through the palace interior until the light from an open shoji caught his attention. Inutaisho paused in the doorway and before he knew it, he was rushing through the bamboo-lined walkway that led to his wife’s private garden. As he got nearer to it, he could hear the soft sounds of someone crying. Entering the garden, he saw them on the far side of the koi pond, the scent of a dragon and the smell of fresh blood, filling his nostrils and making his blood boil in anger. The dog general was torn between seeing for himself that his wife and consort were alright and rushing off after Ryukotsusei. Reining in his anger at the insult to his household, Inutaisho took several deep breaths, forcing himself to remain calm as he slowly approached his wife and concubine.

Izayoi sat with her back to him, slowly rocking back and forth as she cried over his wife’s body. “Gomen nasai…” she whispered softly over and over again. “Gomen nasai… I’m so sorry….”

Inukouhi lay in a battered heap, the blood from a gash on her head, matting her hair. The dog queen stared lifelessly out of one eye as the other was swollen shut and he as approached, Inutaisho feared the worst. Kneeling beside them, the dog general gently stroked his wife’s face, his heart full of regret over what he had agreed to let his wife do, when he noticed that her eye was clear instead of clouded over as it would have been if she were dead. Breathing a faint sigh of relief, he turned his attention to his mate.

Meeting each other’s gaze, they said softly to one another, “Gomen nasai…”

Izayoi quickly looked away, pulling the folds of her kimono tightly around her. When the dog general reached out to wipe away her tears, she shrank back from him, a look of fear in her eyes.

“I’m sorry…” they repeated as they looked helplessly at each other.

Inutaisho closed his eyes and sighed wearily as he realized his mate was wounded far more deeply than his wife was. Giving her a tight little smile that he hoped would reassure her; the dog general focused all of his attention onto to his wife. He wiped some of the blood away from her face with the end of his obi and gently probed the large bruise on her cheek. He smiled sadly when she flinched ever so slightly, pleased on the one hand that she responded and yet, yet upset that he caused her more pain. “Forgive me, my wife…” he whispered softly as he continued to assess his wife’s condition.

Izayoi watched as he tenderly looked after the dog queen. She was angry that he failed to protect her and angry that he was fussing over his wife instead of her./ What if the dragon comes back? What am I going to do? He’s busy tending to her. Yet a part of her was afraid of him and she felt confused. /Does he see me as something weak and useless? She watched him lean close to his wife and whisper something in her ear. Is he angry at me for causing this? Is that why he’s sorry? Is he trying to tell me he doesn’t love me any more and that’s why he’s ignoring me? Izayoi reached up with her good hand to wipe away her tears. And what about Inuyasha? Are you going to cast him aside now that you don’t love me any more? Cradling her broken wrist, Izayoi sobbed as her conflicting emotions threatened to overwhelm her. What made matters worse, was the fact that her mate continued to ignore her in favor of his wife. Why don’t you come here and be with me? Two squirrels raced up and around the truck of a lacy maple, startling Izayoi. She cowered in fear, thinking Ryukotsusei had returned. Sweet Kami-sama, help me! He’s back!

888

Izayoi listlessly let herself be tended to by Baba-chan and two of her assistants. They bathed her and dressed her in her sleeping kimono while the old woman brewed up some opium tea.

“Here, drink this. It’ll ease the pain in your wrist so we can set it,” Baba-chan said softly, handing a cup to Izayoi.

The human woman took the cup and sipped from it. Gagging on the bitter taste, Izayoi made a face and handed it back.

“You must drink the whole thing, or it’ll make our job that much harder.” Baba-chan looked at Izayoi, her expression softening. “No woman should have to endure what you did. Those are wounds that cut far more deeply than a broken wrist. You must be strong and put it behind you if not for your own sake and Dono-sama’s, but for your son’s. Despite his best efforts to keep things quiet, word got out you were missing or worse and your pup is frightened.” The old woman sighed and nodded sadly when the human looked up at her in surprise. “But he can’t see you until we’ve set your wrist so that he doesn’t cause you further injury. Now drink up and swallow the bitterness as you would swallow your tears.”

Izayoi reluctantly complied and while they waited for the opium tea to take effect, Baba-chan dosed her with various other teas and potions designed to build up her strength and aid in healing, as well as more importantly, preventing her from conceiving.

“These will help you keep the little dragons at bay,” the old woman said.

”Dragons at bay?”

“Hai…” Baba-chan nodded. “Bad enough he lied his way into the dono-sama’s household without giving him a legitimate reason to enter? Eh?”

Izayoi’s eyes widened when it hit her. “Hai… So this’ll work?” She looked so upset by the possibility that Baba-chan felt badly about telling her.

“Hai. Now drink up,” the old healer said. Baba-chan smiled and patted the human’s knee, hoping to ease Izayoi’s fears as well as her own.

About twenty minutes later, the poppy had Izayoi dreaming deeply enough to have her wrist set. Under Baba-chan’s direction, her two assistants took up their places, one sitting behind Izayoi, the other sitting in front. They braced themselves and pulled on her arm several times, ignoring Izayoi’s screams of pain, until the broken bones shifted back into place. After splinting her wrist and binding it, the assistants helped Izayoi lie down. The human woman looked pale and drawn and far worse than she had when she was brought in, but as the opium continued to cloud her senses, she was able to relax enough to try and rest.

Baba-chan checked Izayoi’s wrist one last time. The old healer was worried about the human woman. She had said nothing the entire time except to briefly ask about the potion to prevent conception. Her blank expression also had not changed except when Inuyasha had been mentioned. “Ningen-hime, I’m going to allow Tsukikage-hime to bring Inu-chan here to see you, but only for a little bit because you need your rest. The girl,” the old healer indicated one of her assistants. “Will assist you in your needs, so don’t hesitate to call for her,” Baba-chan said as Izayoi nodded dully. “Good… If you need me, please let me know,” she said as she painfully stood up and left.

888

As the old healer and her assistants left the room, Tsuki was waiting in the hallway, along with Inuyasha.

“How is she?” Tsuki asked softly.

Baba-chan sighed. “As well as can be expected for a woman… but as for a woman, who is also human, I honestly don’t know,” the old healer replied just as softly. She was about to say more when Inuyasha interrupted.

“I want to see Ofukuro!”

“Inu-chan!” Tsuki scolded.

“No, it’s alright; he might be the best medicine we can give her at the moment. You can go in there, little one, but you can’t stay long and you must be on your best behavior as your mother’s not well and she’s hurt herself. Understand?”

The four year old nodded and with that Baba-chan took her leave.

“Now be good, okay?”

“Hai!”

Tsuki smiled at her foster son and slowly slid the shoji back. “Ningen-hime, I’ve got a visitor for you… Inuyasha!” she cried as the four year old slipped past her into his mother’s room.

“Ofukuro! What happened? Baba-chan said you’re sick…” he trialed off as he stopped in mid-bound. Slowing his pace before Tsuki could grab him and drag him out of there, Inuyasha walked as sedately as he could over to his mother’s futon. “Ofukuro?”

Izayoi, who was starting to fall asleep due to the effects of the opium tea, cracked her eyes open and slowly turned her head towards where he knelt. She blinked sleepily at her son as he peered intently at her.

“Ofukuro? Tsuki-chan, why’s she not saying anything? And why’s it smell funny in here?”

“Because Baba-chan gave her some medicine to make her sleep. Now kiss her goodbye and we’ll go so she can rest. We’ll come back later.”

“Hai…” Inuyasha leaned forward and carefully kissed his mother’s cheek. Standing up, he took Tsuki by the hand, he said, “Bye, Ofukuro!”

“We’ll see you later, Ningen-hime,” Tsuki said softly, before they turned to go.

888

“Inuki-chan, forgive me…” Inutaisho gently stroked his wife’s cheek. He was busy wiping away the dried blood from her face as he tried to assess her injuries. The dog queen said nothing as she stared lifelessly out of her one good eye. She was in a deep sleep as her body started healing itself, but her husband was anxious to question her about what had happened in the garden with the dragon, now that his fears that she was dead had been allayed.

“Gomen, I should have kept him confined to main areas of the palace. I had no idea he was going to go looking for trouble. Nor did I realize you would fight so well and with a dragon no less…” Inutaisho’s proud smile melted quickly into a frown. Sighing softly, he pushed his angry thoughts from his mind and smiled again. “I think even your father would be proud.” He gently removed the remaining comb from her hair, and smoothed her hair. “Please hurry and come back to me.”

“My lord?”

“Baba-chan?” The dog general looked up at the sound of her voice.

“She’s healing herself, eh? That’s a good sign,” Baba-chan said as her assistants helped her to kneel.

“Hai…”

“She’s going to heal at her own pace, my lord,” the old woman said as she correctly read the dog general.

“I know.” He sighed. “It’s just that-”

“I know; you need to question her as to what happened since Izayoi-hime isn’t in any shape to help,” Baba-chan said softly. “My lord…”

“Hai?”

“Gomen nasai, but I fear it may be a long time before Izayoi-hime recovers, if ever.”

Inutaisho nodded sadly.

“I’m sorry, I wish I knew more about humans, but since she’s the only one-”

“It’s alright, Baba-chan.”

“Hai… Now let me see what I can do to help speed your wife’s healing along.”

“Arigato.”

888

To say Inutaisho was angry was an understatement. He would have gone after the dragon, so great was the insult to the dog general’s household, if not for the condition of his wife and concubine. There was no way he could bring himself to leave either one of them so he sent his spies out instead to track the dragon’s movements for him. But anger, frustration, forced inactivity and worry left Inutaisho ill-tempered as rumors of an impending war spread throughout palace. As a result Sesshomaru found himself unofficially acting in his father’s stead, pushing his feelings aside, and adopting an ice-cold veneer. The hard work did wonders in taking his mind off of his mother, something neither Tsuki nor his younger brother’s antics could do.

“I believe that’s all for the day,” Sesshomaru said to his father’s minister.

“Hai. You’ve done well, Waka-sama. Your father will be proud,” Karou-san said.

Sesshomaru replied with a slight nod of his head. He stood up to leave. “If you’ll excuse me?”

“Gomen nasai, Waka-sama, by all means don’t let me keep you,” the minister said as he watched Sesshomaru leave.

888

Sesshomaru made his way quickly through the halls to his mother’s room. Once there, he paused briefly before entering. He quietly walked over to his parents and knelt next to his father. “How is she?”

“She’s still healing. Baba-chan said her injuries were extensive and she’s lucky…”

Sesshomaru nodded. What a stupid way for you to curry favor, Haha-ue…

“Chichi-ue, Fujiwara-san has been bringing up that problem he had with Ashikaga-san. I thought you had settled that months ago.”

“I did and perhaps he’s using it as a way of testing you.” He turned to his son. “And, Sessho-kun, I appreciate you stepping in like that.”

“Keh!”

The dog general nodded. “Work is the best thing for keeping one’s mind off troubles, ne?”

“Hai…”

They lapsed into silence, listening to sound of the dog queen’s breathing as it mingled with the birdsong coming from her garden through the opened shoji.

888

Tsuki pulled the kimono over Inuyasha’s sleeping form. Kissing him lightly on the cheek, she whispered, “Sweet dreams.” She stood up and walked over to where her mate sat, attempting to read his scroll. “How is your mother doing, Maru-chan?”

Sesshomaru looked up from the scroll at her. “As well as can be expected.” He looked back down at the scroll.

“I see… she’ll get better, ne?”

“Hai!” he said irritably. “Tsuki-chan, if you don’t mind, I have work to do.”

Tsuki nodded sadly. “Hai...” she said softly as she sat and picked up a scroll as well to read. Things had become strained between them ever since the incident in the garden and Tsuki missed being able to talk it over with her friend. If things did not get better between them any time soon, Tsuki feared he would move back into his rooms in the men’s quarters. It was bad enough she was alone during the day with no one but Inuyasha for company and she dreaded her nights turning into more of the same as the silence stretched between them.

888

Sesshomaru groaned inwardly. He was sitting upon the dais in his father’s place, listening to yet another in a long series of complaints and petitions that, in his humble opinion, were not even worth the time and effort it took to hear. As the minutes stretched into hours and hours felt like days, he became more and more adept at keeping his expression neutral, while inwardly he seethed.

888

He had spent another day watching over his wife as she remained deep within her healing sleep that Inutaisho made a decision. He stood and stretched stiffly, before silently padding over to the inner shoji. He slid it back and addressed one of the guards who waited outside, “Have someone go find Toutou-sai and tell him I wish to see him.”

“Hai!” the guard replied, before hurrying off to do his lord’s bidding.

Just as quickly as he had emerged, the dog general slipped back inside where he once again sat by his wife’s side.

“Inuki-chan, you know as well as I do that once you are well, it won’t be long before I’m gone. Now if you’ll forgive me, I have to go inform Izayoi-hime of my decision as well. I have been neglecting her in favor of you and I promise I’ll be back quickly.”

The dog queen slept, heedless of what her husband said. He felt a tiny stab of fear when she failed to show any response to her rival’s name and it was rather reluctantly that he left her side to go visit his mate for the first time since he had found her in the garden.

888

Inutaisho found his mate sitting on the low veranda just outside her room along with Tsuki, as they watched Inuyasha play in the courtyard’s garden. He noted how pale and drawn Izayoi looked as she listlessly carried on a conversation with her friend. He called out to the women as he approached, hoping not to startle Izayoi, and failing miserably.

“Dono-sama,” Tsuki said as she bowed.

“Tsukikage-hime, Izayoi-hime,” he replied as he sat near them.

“Oyaji!” Inuyasha ran over to him.

Inutaisho leaned over and scooped him up into his lap. “Inu-chan!” He hugged him. “Are you being a good boy?”

“Hai! Want to play with me?” Inuyasha said. The four year old was getting tired of having to play quietly by himself. He was hoping his father would rough house with him for a bit so he smiled impishly at him.

“Hai, but I need you to give me a little time alone with your mother.”

“Oh…” Inuyasha pouted.

“Inu-chan…” Tsuki said warningly and the four year merely smiled, before standing up on his father’s lap and leaping off the veranda. He landed safely in the garden and raced off to the far end. “You can’t catch me, Oyaji!!’ he called out.

“I wouldn’t be too sure of that, my boy!” Inutaisho said, before turning to his mate.

“If you will please excuse me, I’d better go see what Inu-chan’s up to,” Tsuki said softly. She hated to go as she could see her friend tense at the idea of being alone with her mate, but Tsuki felt it was important they have some time alone despite the human’s fears.

“Hai.”

Mouthing a silent “I’m sorry,” Tsuki got up and made her way over to her foster son.

Inutaisho could feel the waves of fear coming off Izayoi in spite her best efforts at hiding it and he felt badly about scaring her, but he felt he had no choice. “You know, once my wife is better, I will be off to avenge you, my love.”

Izayoi nodded.

“I’ll be leaving soon-”

“You sound as if you’re going to die…” Izayoi said softly and the dog general looked at her in surprise.

“All things die, my love.”

She nodded.

“Izayoi-chan, there is a great chance that I won’t survive my battle with the dragon,” he said, voicing her fear out loud.

“I’m sorry…”

“I know, and I am too.” He looked at her sadly. “And while I had hoped to have more time to be with you to help you through this, you know I must go as soon as possible.”

Izayoi nodded again.

“I promise you, I will come back if I can, but if I cannot, then you must be strong and help Inuyasha grow to be a man we both can be proud of.”

“Hai…”

As much as he wanted to gather her in his arms and hold her close, Inutaisho contented himself with simply being in her presence for a few minutes longer before he left to go back to his wife’s side. Goodbye, my love…

888

Inutaisho sat back after giving his wife a kiss on her forehead. “Good morning, Inuki-chan.”

Sighing softly, the dog queen replied, “Good morning to you too, Husband.”

“You’re awake?”

The ghost of a smile tugged at her lips. “It would seem so since I am speaking to you,” she trailed off softly as she slowly raised a hand and rubbed her forehead. “What happened?”

“You went head to head with a dragon.”

“I did?” She sighed again. “Please tell me he looks worse than I feel…”

“Unfortunately I don’t know as he escaped long before I found you.”

“That’s alright, my husband. I’m here and in one piece, I hope?”

“Hai.”

“Then what’s wrong? Unhappy I lived?” she said dryly.

“Iie! Don’t speak like that, Inuki-chan! It’s just that…”

“Just what…?”

“I can’t let that go, Inuki-chan. And now that you’re awake…”

“You’re going after him.” She closed her eyes wearily.

“I have to. You of all people should know that, Inuki-chan.”

“I know.” She sighed. “Although, my love, I’m not really up to acting as regent.” If ever… I feel so old and feeble and helpless…

Inutaisho nodded. “I believe Sesshomaru will able to handle that.”

“He’ll be disappointed you aren’t taking him.”

“He’ll understand. Besides, he’s been enjoying the challenge of ruling my empire while I looked after you, so I doubt very much he’ll be as upset as you think. Our son always did have a taste for power.”

“True… And this way I’ll only have to worry about you.”

He gently caressed her cheek. “Don’t worry; I’m having your favorite piece of jewelry warded so that if Sesshomaru can’t get the Tensaiga to work, you’ll be able to… if something should happen…”

Inukouhi laughed and waved a hand to dismiss his concerns. “I see, although I wouldn’t call the Meidouseki a piece of jewelry. Nor is it my favorite,” she teased as she was tired of dancing around the possibility of his death. Growing more serious, she continued, “Then you’re taking the Tetsusaiga into battle with you?”

“Hai, although it’ll be warded too so that it can be passed on. That’s why I’ve sent for Toutou-sai.”

“Oh…” What are you hiding, Husband? The dog queen narrowed her eyes at her husband.

“I’m going to have a ward put on my swords so that they can be passed down.” Inutaisho smiled.

The dog queen smiled back. “Sesshomaru, as your heir, will get both swords.”

“I do have two sons,” the dog general replied.

Inukouhi’s expression darkened. “Hai… But one is still a child with no use for a sword. Perhaps Toutou-sai can make him a special one of his own out of metal like the ones humans use.” She smiled sweetly at him. “Besides, your empire is vast and Sesshomaru will need them both.”

Inutaisho sighed, and not wishing to dampen his wife’s spirits, he simply agreed with her. “Hai…” When you’re stronger I’ll make you see what I have planned is for the best.

888

Inutaisho, taking a break from his plans to go after the dragon, looked up from the go board. “Ah, Toutou-sai, you’re here!”

“Hunh? Where? What?” Toutou-sai blinked owlishly at them as he entered the dog queen’s room.

Inukouhi rolled her eyes and muttered under her breath, “I can’t believe he actually trusts this idiot.”

“My Lady,” Atsuimi said softly. “Patience or you’ll tire yourself out.”

“Oh please! Not you too. You know, I’m getting tired of being treated as if I’m fragile.” The dog queen sighed.

“Fine,” Atsuimi said and the two women turned their attention to the old sword smith.

“I know you?” Toutou-sai asked.

“Hai. We met a long time ago when you forged the Tetsusaiga and Tensaiga for me.” Inutaisho said. “I’m Inutaisho-”

“Lord of the western lands…” the old man finished as his thoughts became more lucid and ordered. “I remember the swords. They’re fine blades.” He smiled. “Hai… The Tensaiga was a bit tricky as she didn’t want to leave her sister, but she shaped up into a fine blade on her own, ne?”

“Hai, she did and they are both worthy blades.” Inutaisho looked over at the two women. “If you’ll excuse us?”

“Go, my husband, I’m sure you have much to discuss with our… guest.”

As the men left the room, Atsuimi moved to sit across from her friend at the go board. “Do you want me to continue for the Dono-sama, or should we start all over with a new game?”

“Iie; just leave it.” The dog queen sighed. “We’ll continue it later. Right now, my friend, I’m feeling tired and I wish to nap.”

“Hai. Do you want me to stay or go?”

“Stay…”

Atsuimi helped her friend back over to he futon, and after seeing she was comfortable, the chief courtesan lowered the window screens and darkened the room. Atsuimi also removed several layers of kimono and crawled into the futon. She gathered her friend in her arms and listened to the dog queen pouring out her fears and troubles they way they did when they were younger, making soft sounds of comfort.

888

Sesshomaru sat in the main hall, listening to more boring petitions and petty fights and disagreements. He felt a sudden urge to rip their heads off so that he would be free of their wearisome nonsense. Looking around at them, he wondered how his father was able to sit here day after day and calmly take it all in before giving them his decision.

He nodded serenely at the petty lord sitting before him to his right. “You will give back the land you took. And you.” He shifted his gaze to the lord on his left. “You will work out an equable agreement with him so that he will protect your borders, not steal them. In fact, I think you two should unite your clans. I believe your son,” Sesshomaru looked disdainfully at the noble on the right. “Will make a fine leader and your daughter,” he said, turning his attention back to the other noble. “Is not only old enough to marry, but she knows how watch your interests as well from what I’ve heard. And my father could use a stronger ally to the south and so will I one day. As for the rest of you, I suggest you try working out your petty problems amongst yourselves first before you come to me with them. Do I make myself clear?” Raising a delicate eyebrow, he glared coldly at the various nobles assembled.

“HAI!!” they cried.

Sesshomaru allowed himself a brief little smile. “Good. Now who has a problem that needs to be urgently seen to? No one?” He looked around at the assembled lords, giving them a chance to speak up, and when no one did, he nodded. “Well then, that is all for the day.” Having dismissed them, Sesshomaru rose and calmly walked out of the main hall of the palace.

888

Inutaisho sat in his private chambers with Toutou-sai, discussing what will be done to his swords.

“Inutaisho-sama, I will need a few days in order to accomplish this.”

“Fine. Will three days be enough?”

“Enough for what?” The old swordsmith blinked owlishly at him.

“Enough time to ward my swords so they may be passed onto my sons should I die.”

“You’re dying?! I’m so sorry to hear that, my lord!”

The dog general sighed. “I’m not dying, Toutou-sai,” he said patiently.

“That’s good to hear!”

“Hai…”/ It must be true what they say; those noxious fumes coming out of that mountain are addling his head./ Inutaisho briefly frowned as he thought it over./ Still, he’s the best there is, and yet, I wonder if the crafty old badger is deliberately playing the fool./

“Three days will be enough time to get them ready for you,” the old swordsmith said in a moment of lucidity.

“Good. I grow impatient to get going. Each day I delay, the trail grows colder.”

“I can take them now if you like.”

“You can? That’s good then,” Inutaisho said as he stood up.

“What’s good?”

“You taking my swords and warding them so that I can pass them onto my sons.”

Toutou-sai nodded. “Which son gets which sword?”

“Sesshomaru is to get the Tensaiga, as he is strong enough to defend himself and those he cares for. The Tensaiga will be for those times when strength was not enough.” He paused as Toutou-sai nodded. “That leaves the Tetsusaiga for Inuyasha. He will need it to contain his youkai blood.” Inutaisho pinched the bridge of his nose tiredly. Letting go of it, he looked up at Toutou-sai and said, “If by some chance I manage to survive this battle, we will need to discuss some other means of keeping Inuyasha’s youkai blood in check. Right now he’s still a child and as such, there is no cause for concern. It’s when he gets older that I’m worried about.”

“Understood, my lord.”

Inutaisho nodded and turned to where his swords rested in their katanakake. He picked up the Tetsusaiga first and, sliding the blade free of its sheath, he spoke softly to the sword, asking it to watch over his younger son, Inuyasha. Satisfied that the blade would heed his wishes, Inutaisho turned and handed the blade to Toutou-sai. Turning back to the sword rack, the dog general picked up the Tensaiga. He repeated his actions, this time asking the blade to bring back from the netherworld those whom Sesshomaru was unable to protect.

“Inutaisho-sama…?”

“Hai?” the dog general said as he turned to face the old swordsmith.

“The Tensaiga?” Toutou-sai replied, holding out his left hand for the blade.

Inutaisho stared at him blankly before he realized what the old man wanted. He gently placed the sword in Toutou-sai’s outstretched hand and sighed softly.

“It’s only three days, my lord.”

“I know…” But they will be three of the longest days of my life…

888

True to his word, Toutou-sai returned three days later with the swords. He was ushered into the dog general’s chambers as soon as he arrived, where he was met by Inutaisho and his personal retainer, Myouga.

“Ah… Toutou-sai! I trust all went well?” Inutaisho said as he came over to get his swords.

“Hai. The elder son will have the Tensaiga; the younger the Tetsusaiga.”

“Good.” Inutaisho sighed.

“My lord, are you sure that’s a good idea?” Myouga asked as he bounce up and down on the dog general’s shoulder.

“You worry too much, Myouga-jiji. I have told you before; both brothers will accept what’s been passed down to them. If they question it, simply tell them I had my reasons for doing what I did.”

“The Waka-sama may not like it.”

“Sesshomaru will understand my reasons if you take the time to explain them to him.”

“Don’t worry about it, Myouga,” the old swordsmith said.

“That’s easy for you to say, Toutou-sai. But-”

“Enough! Sesshomaru will be so busy with running my empire; he won’t have time to worry about the sword. Besides, he’s not a little pup like Inuyasha who cries his eyes out because he didn’t get what he wanted,” Inutaisho said peevishly. Taking a deep breath, he said more calmly, “Now, let’s discuss the important matters at hand. I know you think I’m crazy for making plans to cover my death, Myouga-jiji, but I wish to be prepared just in case. I’ve had Housenki-san create a black pearl. That is where I will really be entombed, but its whereabouts will be kept secret and Housenki has agreed to watch over my remains from the netherworld. You, Myouga-jiji, will watch over my false tomb.”

“It must be grand enough to fool those who would dare to desecrate your remains into thinking it’s real, sire.”

“Exactly, which is why you will spend the rest of your days guarding it for me,” Inutaisho said. He smiled at the shocked expression on the flea’s face.

“But, but, but,” the old flea sputtered.

“I have no one else I can trust with this important task, Myouga-jiji.”

“Yes, my lord.” The little flea, contemplating his future, seemed to wilt under the dog general’s gaze.

“And you, Toutou-sai, will see to it Sesshomaru gets his inheritance. Any questions? No?” The dog general quirked an eyebrow at them. “Good.”

888

Izayoi timidly made her way to her mate’s room through the inner passageways of the palace. The empty corridors seemed quieter than normal, increasing her fear the closer she got to her destination. The human woman found she had to stop several times to calm herself until at long last she arrived just outside his door.

The two guards nodded and without a word they slid the shoji open, allowing her entrance unto his rooms.

Izayoi swallowed her fear and took a few hesitant steps into the room. “My lord…?” she said softly as the shoji slid shut behind her. Startled by the noise, she jumped, chiding herself for being so silly. Still, it was several minutes before she could calm her racing heartbeats enough to go looking for her mate. “Inutaisho-dono-sama…” she called out as she slowly approached his inner chambers. She paused just outside them to compose herself, before knocking. When she received no response, Izayoi slid open the shoji and peered into the darkness, trying to see if her mate was asleep on his futon. Sticking her head inside the room, she closed her eyes for several heartbeats before opening them. It helped somewhat in her effort to adjust her eyesight quickly to dim interior and she was able to determine that the dog general was nowhere inside.

Sighing softly as her fear of her mate gave way to frustration over not finding him, Izayoi walked over to the shoji leading to his private garden. Sliding it open, she found her mate sitting on a stone bench, lost in thought. She stood there, studying his profile in the dappled shadows of the lacy maple. Gathering her courage, the human woman stepped out into the garden.

Inutaisho was acutely aware of her presence, although he refused to acknowledge it. Instead he waited patiently for Izayoi to approach him if she felt brave enough to do so. The soft sounds of rustling silk as she came closer warmed his heart as he had feared he would have to go off into battle without saying goodbye.

“Inutai-” his name stuck in her throat as Izayoi approached him from the side. “-sho- dono-sama…”

“Hai…?” he answered softly.

“You…” Izayoi started to say, and taking a deep breath, she continued, “You wished to see me…?”

“Hai…” The dog general continued to stare straight ahead, even though he wanted to look up at her and pull her onto his lap.

They let the silence stretch between them. Izayoi was quietly grateful for it because it gave her time to relax and feel comfortable in his presence again. She appreciated the gesture and when he tilted his head to the side to look up at her, she was able to smile warmly back at him.

“Iza-chan…?”

“Hai.”

Inutaisho slowly shifted himself so that he could face her. While he was still seated, he had moved in such a way that there was now room for her to sit next him if she chose to. “You know I am leaving tomorrow.”

“Hai…” Izayoi said softly.

“I have an important task for you to do should I not return alive.”

Izayoi nodded.

“When I die, I wish to be entombed in the black pearl Housenki-san is making for me. Don’t worry; what will appear to be me will be burned and the ashes will be properly entombed elsewhere. My true remains will be taken care of by Housenki-san and the pearl is to be hidden where no one will think to look for it. I will have it as well as Inuyasha’s inheritance placed in his eye. It is merely portal to the netherworld, but it will allow me to watch over him as best I can…” I don’t know if you are aware of this, but his youkai blood needs to be kept in check for his sake, my love…

“When you…ummm… when you talk like that, I… I ummm…” Suddenly feeling her throat grow dry, Izayoi swallowed. “I wish you weren’t going as I will miss you,” she said, the words tumbling out of her mouth.

“And I will miss you.” Inutaisho smiled, and looking down at the bench, he hoped she would take the hint and sit down. “But it is important you keep this knowledge to yourself,” he said when it appeared she would remain standing. “The pearl is to be hidden in Inu-chan’s right eye. Don’t worry; it won’t hurt him and he won’t even be aware of its existence. When the time comes and he’s a young man, tell him about it so that he can claim his inheritance.”

Izayoi smiled in return. She longed to sit next to him and have him take her in his arms and hold her tight, but her fear held her back. She could feel her eyes welling up with tears and she looked away as she tried to compose herself.

“Everything alright, my love?” Inutaisho said softly. He hated seeing her suffer like this but he felt he had no choice. He needed to see her one last time before he left, needed to take the memory of her smile, her soft voice, and her beautiful scent into battle with him. But more importantly he needed to see her fear as it gave him the strength he needed to fight for her.

“Hai… Iie!! Nothing is alright and nothing ever will be alright again!” she cried.

They stared at each other in shock.

Izayoi panted as she fought to regain control of her anger. Failing miserably, she started to cry.

Inutaisho stood up. He hesitated to put his arms around as he feared it would make things worse, but the more she wept the more he wanted to hold her. Ignoring the little warning voice in his head, Inutaisho moved closer and gently enfolded Izayoi in his arms.

The human woman stiffened under his touch, but as she cried, Izayoi allowed his embrace. She gradually relaxed, and although they both grieved for the opportunities lost through circumstance, they were both pleased that that they had taken a step towards healing the breach between them. So when her sobs subsided into little hiccups, Inutaisho kissed her gently on the top of her head.

“Goodbye, my love.”

888

“So, you will be leaving tomorrow, ne?” Inukouhi said as she set down her chopsticks and picked up her tea cup. Sipping her tea, she looked expectantly at her husband as she waited for his reply. “Husband…?” she prompted, pulling him form his thoughts. Damn it! I bet he wishes he was with her instead of me…

Inutaisho blinked as he looked at her helplessly.

Smiling, the dog queen repeated herself, “You’re leaving tomorrow, ne?”

“Hai,” he said embarrassedly. “I’m sorry, Inuki-chan, but my head is elsewhere tonight. Forgive me?”

“Hai.” She waved a hand at him and sighed. You were thinking about her, ne? She will be fine, husband, have I not shown you that I will honor my vow to protect her for you?

They lapsed into a silence punctuated by the sounds of their eating. The soft clack of their chopsticks sounded louder than it normally would have as the stillness became strained between them.

Unable to stand it any longer, Inukouhi set hers down and said, “Husband, would you feel better if I left?” She tried to keep her hurt and frustration out her voice, but he heard it.

“Gomen nasai, dear wife, please forgive me. My mind is on the upcoming battle.”

“Understandable. And if you wish to be alone with your thoughts, then please say the word and I will go.”

“Please stay, Inuki-chan.” He reached a hand across the table and laid it on top of hers.

Inukouhi smiled sweetly at him. “Fine, I’ll stay, if that is what you want.”

“Of course I want you to stay. Come, let’s go.” Inutaisho got up from the low table, and walking around it to his wife, he held out his hands to her.

“I’m now too old to have another pup.” The dog queen laughed and her husband raised a questioning eyebrow at her.

“Hai?” He gently helped her to her feet.

Inukouhi shook her head at him. “Every time you’ve gone off into battle since Sessho-kun was born, we tried without much success to make another pup,” she said softly.

A smile slowly spread across the dog general’s face until it turned into a grin. “Part of the fun in making a pup, my dear, is in the trying.” He winked at her.

“Hai.” She laughed. “And no one can fault you, dear husband, for trying,” she said saucily as he pulled her close. Perhaps he really does wish to spend time with me after all…

888

Sesshomaru sighed as he picked at his food. “My father’s leaving tomorrow.”

“I know,” Tsuki said softly. “I was asked to keep Inu-chan occupied so that he won’t be around to act up and I was wondering if you could help me.”

The young youkai prince sighed again. “I suppose so… There won’t be any council sessions tomorrow, so I’ll be free.”

“Oh good!” She smiled sweetly at him. “You know how he’s been asking you if you’ll show him how to use a sword.”

“Asking? It’s been more like begging, whining, and pestering, if you ask me,” Sesshomaru said dryly.

“Maru-chan!”

“I was just teasing you.” He rolled his eyes at her as she sighed in frustration. “Fine. I’ll go play swords with him tomorrow morning if that’ll make you happy.” Besides, it’s a great way to tire him out, which should lead to something that would make me very happy, so we’ll both win, ne?

“Very happy, but not as happy as it’ll make Inu-chan.” She smiled sweetly at him, and leaning closer, Tsuki licked her lips as she pretended she was about to kiss him, only to grab a dumpling off his plate with her chopsticks. Giggling, as she leaned back and raised it to her lips to take a bite, Sesshomaru growled at her.

“Oi! That was the last dumpling!” He pouted exactly like his little brother would, which turned Tsuki’s giggles into laughter. “What’s so funny?”

“You,” she giggled.

/It’s so good to see you smiling again…/they both thought.

888

Inutaisho, who had been busy kissing the back of his wife’s neck, paused to whisper in her ear, “Are you sure you feel up to this?”

The dog queen reached up and patted his hand. Looking over her shoulder at him, for he was kneeling behind her, Inukouhi said, “Hai… As long as you’re gentle with me, I think I’ll be up to it.”

“I think I can be gentle, Inuki-chan.”

“Good…” she said softly as he pushed her kimono off her shoulder.

Inutaisho trailed a line of kisses across his wife’s bare shoulder as he tried to help her out of the different layers she wore.

“One kimono at a time, husband,” Inukouhi said. “Or else you’ll crease them. Help me up.”

“Hai!”

“Husband!” the dog queen squealed in surprised when her husband stood up, and grabbing her from behind, he set her on her feet.

“Hai? You said you wanted to be on your feet,” he smirked. He chuckled as she turned to face him, her annoyance quickly melting into amusement as he pulled her close.

The dog queen playfully bit his chin. “Hai I did, but that was no reason to scare me like that! I told you to be gentle with me,” she gently chided.

“Gomen nasai, dear wife, it’s just that you look so much like the young bride I took to my bed, that I forgot.” The dog general looked properly chastised, which had the effect of making his wife laugh.

“I guess I’ll have to punish you, ne?” she teased.

“I guess so.”

“Well, then, as your punishment, I think you should kiss me again and see where it goes.”

“Hai,” he murmured as he leaned in to comply. Inutaisho brushed his lips lightly against his wife’s, teasing her, and making her pursue him for the kiss.

Inukouhi slid her hands up his chest, and wrapping one arm around his neck and the other around his head, she was able to capture his lips with her own. She was determined to make him happy that he chose to spend his time with her instead of his human mate. Pressing her body against his, the dog queen decided to do whatever it took to have him carry thoughts of her into battle and if that meant exerting herself, then exert herself she would.

Breaking the kiss, Inutaisho momentarily pulled back from her. Smiling at her puzzled frown, the dog general said cryptically, “One down…” He had moved to stand behind her and removed her outer most kimono. “Two more to go.” He chuckled.

“Two more it is!” Inukouhi said with a smile. Instead of the more elaborate and many layered style she had once worn, the dog queen had adopted a simpler way of dressing. It consisted of an outer layer of kimono worn open like a coat over a double-layered kimono which covered her undergarments. It was easier for her to move around in; as it weighed far less than the sixteen layers she used to wear. It also seemed to be catching on in court, as many of the women had adopted the style, along with the simpler way she had of doing her hair. All she knew was that her husband appeared to like it very much. It was much easier for him to snake his hands through the folds and touch her without ripping anything out of the way in frustration.

“Hmmm… one more layer to go, Inuki-chan,” Inutaisho smirked as she stepped away from it.

Inukouhi laughed as he picked it up and laid it over her other one. “You think it’s so easy, hunh?”

“Hai. All I have to do is this…” He walked back over to her and gently took her face in his hands. Leaning in, he kissed her nose as she giggled. The dog general continued to kiss her all over her face and as he did so, he let his hands wander. By the time he had deepened the kiss, Inutaisho had the last remaining kimono in a puddle at her feet while she stood there in her undergarment.

Breaking the kiss, Inukouhi playfully complained, “No fair! You cheated!!”

“Did not!”

“Did so!!” She giggled.

Inutaisho let her have the last word, and scooping her up in his arms, he carried her over to his inner chamber. There he set her down and as she waited, he unrolled his futon. Getting up, and taking his wife by the hand, Inutaisho led her over to it. They kissed as he struggled out of his kimono, and once he had it off, they sank onto his futon. Inutaisho rolled onto his side, and propping himself up with one arm, he let the other loosen the ties keeping his wife’s under kimono closed.

Inukouhi ran her fingertips lightly across his muscular chest. It seemed to her, the older he got, the better he looked and the more she hungered for his touch. As he was in his prime, he gave off an air of raw power that only increased with each passing year. Closing her eyes, her breath caught in her throat as he opened her kimono.

The dog general gently caressed the fading scars that ran lightly down the base of her throat and onto her chest. As he studied them in the dim interior of his sleeping quarters, he realized for the first time just how close to death she had been at the dragon’s hands. I swear to you, my dear wife, that I will avenge what that bastard did to you!

“Something wrong, dear husband?”

“Iie… I was just admiring your beauty.” Inutaisho cupped her cheek and leaned in to kiss her. Breaking it, he said softly, “And I am most lucky to have you.”

Inukouhi smiled at him impishly. “I bet you say that to all your women,” she teased.

“Iie…” he teased back.

“Eh?” The dog queen stared at him in surprise.

“Iie… I only say it to those I find the most beautiful… like the one I’m lying with now.” He chuckled at her annoyed expression. “Truthfully, my love, they all pale in comparison to you.” He silenced her protest with a kiss. When she reached up and pulled him close, he moved to trail a line of little butterfly kisses down her throat. As he moved down the length of her torso, he paused to suckle her breasts.

The dog queen’s soft moans of pleasure added to his own as he cupped her left breast. He gently teased the nipple and as it hardened under his touch, she could not help thinking; This is as it should be…

Inutaisho continued his way down, licking her navel, and kissing his way to her soft tangle of white curls. He buried his nose in it, deeply inhaling the scent of her arousal, before teasing the soft flower of her womanhood with his tongue. The dog general knew his wife was forcing herself to hold back by the way her thighs would move to clamp his head between them, only to move away as she let out a soft moan. It was a little bedroom game they played together; he teasing her with his tongue and mouth, as she tried to keep from thrusting herself at him. When she did, he helped her roll over onto her stomach. Grabbing her hips, and pulling them towards him, he entered her. Developing his rhythm, he gave her his all until he spent his lust, his little grunts melting into moans and mixing with her soft cries of pleasure. When he had finished, he gently eased them both onto their sides and they lay there, joined as one.

888

Inuyasha took the little cotton square, and imitating his older brother, he rubbed it all over himself. “Look, I’m all clean now!!”

“That’s good, Inuyasha, but I’m still not playing swords with you until tomorrow.” Sesshomaru set his cloth down in his lap, and picking up a bucket of water, he poured it over himself. “Now hurry up and rinse off.”

“Hai!” Inuyasha tried picking up the other bucket. “It’s too heavy, Maru-chan!”

Sighing wearily, Sesshomaru picked the bucket up and dumped its contents on his little brother’s head.

“Hey!” Inuyasha sputtered and wiped at his face. He scowled at his brother, although it looked more like a pout. “What’d you do that for?”

The faintest smile briefly tugged at Sesshomaru’s lips. “You needed help, so I helped you,” he deadpanned.

“Oh.” Inuyasha pushed his bangs out of his eyes and frowned. “Can we go?” he asked.

Sesshomaru nodded. “Come.” He stood up and started walking towards the tiny hot spring that was part of the bathhouse.

The little hanyou hurried after his brother. Outside, he sat on the edge of the onsen, his knees drawn up under his chin, as he waited patiently for Sesshomaru to enter the hot spring. He shivered in the cool summer’s night breeze, and he was dying to get in the onsen with Sesshomaru, as he was cold, but he knew he had to be on his best behavior if his wish was to be granted tomorrow. Inuyasha still could not believe he was going to get to play sword fights with his older brother. The last time he had gotten to do that he had gotten so excited that he had accidentally whacked Sesshomaru in the head with his bokken, nearly taking his eye out and ending the session. Sesshomaru had been understandably angry about it and had taken Inuyasha’s practice sword away and the little hanyou had despaired of ever seeing it again. And when Inutaisho had agreed with his elder son that the younger was in fact too young to be playing with such a “dangerous” weapon, Inuyasha was devastated. But now he that he had a reprieve of sorts and Inuyasha was determined to do whatever it took to keep Sesshomaru from changing his mind about it.

“Inuyasha,” Sesshomaru said, pulling the four year from his thoughts.

“Hai?”

“Come.” Sesshomaru held out his arms as Inuyasha scooted forward. Lifting his younger brother up, Sesshomaru soon had him settled on his lap as they soaked.

888

“Where’s he sleeping tonight, Tsuki-chan?” Sesshomaru looked up from the scroll he was reading.

“With his mother, why?” she replied as she bent to retrieve her foster son’s ball.

“I was just wondering…” So Chichi-ue decided to spend the night before the battle with Haha-ue, hunh? I wonder if this means the human really has fallen out of favor.

“Oh…” Tsuki smiled.

Sesshomaru smiled back at her, before going back to reading his scroll.

“Did you find my ball, Tsuki-chan?”

“Hai,” Tsuki said, and looking over at her mate, she added, “Let’s play something else, Inu-chan. What about playing with your toy samurai that your brother gave you?”

“Iie.” The four year old pouted.

“Inuyasha, if you don’t behave I won’t play swords with you tomorrow.” Sesshomaru held up a warning hand to stop his brother’s protests.

“Hai…” Inuyasha grumbled. He sat there, quietly staring at his older brother, while he sucked his thumb.

“Inuyasha,” Sesshomaru growled.

“What?” the little hanyou said around his thumb.

“What did I say about behaving?”

“You won’t play with me if I don’t.”

“Good. Then behave.”

“Will you play with me, Maru-chan? Please…?”

Sesshomaru groaned inwardly as he stopped reading and looked over at his brother. The little hanyou was doing his best to look cute and adorable while looking thoroughly miserable about having no one to play with. Sesshomaru also knew Tsuki was looking expectantly at him, so having other choice but to give in, he nodded. “Hai… what do you want to play?”

“Catch.”

“You can’t play catch in here, Inuyasha.”

The four-year old pouted, although he quickly brightened when his brother scowled at him.

“I know, instead of throwing the ball, we can roll it to each other,” Sesshomaru said.

“Hai!”

They played until Inuyasha grew tired of the game, at which time Tsuki brought him back to his mother’s room for the night.

888

Sesshomaru slept peacefully that night with Tsuki snuggled up beside him. He would have slept peacefully that morning as well, but something kept tickling his nose, and pulling him from his dream. He snorted loudly and the tickling briefly stopped. He tried rubbing his nose and shaking his head, hoping it would go away. Unfortunately it did not and, cracking his eyes open, he saw his younger brother’s huge smile.

“You awake, Maru-chan?” Inuyasha whispered loudly, shattering the stillness of the early morning.

“No.”

“Hunh?”

Sesshomaru sighed as he ran his hand tiredly over his face. “I’m awake… what’s wrong?” Sesshomaru asked.

“Nothing. You said we can play swords today!”

“Only if you’re good and waking me up isn’t good.”

“Oh…” The four year old groaned.

“Oh alright, you pain in my ass!” Sesshomaru hissed. “But you had better let me sleep later or else I swear I’ll rip your head off! Understood?”

“Hai!” Inuyasha stuck his thumb in his mouth and sucked it as he stared at Sesshomaru expectantly. He took his thumb out of his mouth and smiled happily even though his brother was glaring at him.

Sesshomaru carefully eased his sleeping mate off his chest, and sitting up, he stretched. Looking over at his smiling brother, Sesshomaru yawned sleepily.

“Where’s your kimono?”

“I didn’t wear one.”

“Why not?”

“Because I didn’t feel like wearing one. Wait for me outside while I get dressed.”

“But why? It wasn’t very hot last night.” Inuyasha frowned.

“So?”

“Tsuki said you need to wear one when you sleep.”

“She did? Well, she never said that to me.” In fact, she couldn’t wait to get me out of mine.

“She said that to me.” The little hanyou folded his arms across his chest. He could not figure out why Tsuki would not say that to his brother when she said that every night as she got him ready for bed. “Why didn’t she say that to you?”

“Because.”

“Why because?”

“Because I’m big and you’re not and if I get cold, I’ve got no one to blame but myself,” Sesshomaru said.

“Oh. Ummm, Maru-chan, how come you always get to sleep with Tsuki?”

“Because you have your own futon over there.” Sesshomaru tilted his head towards the screen that separated them while they slept. “Besides, your mother wanted you to stay with her last night.”

“So?” Inuyasha said, ignoring the comment about his mother. “You have one too. Why do you always get to put yours next to hers? Why can’t you sleep with me?”

“Because,” Sesshomaru said as patiently as he could. I’d rather sleep with her.

“Because why?” Inuyasha whined.

Ignoring his little brother’s presence and, throwing back the summer quilt, Sesshomaru got up from the futon and stretched. He quietly padded across the room towards where he had left his clothes the night before.

“Maru-chan!!” the little hanyou stamped his foot impatiently.

“Because I don’t feel like telling you, that’s why,” the youkai prince said testily as he bent to retrieve his hakama. /Leave me alone for Kami-sama’s sake! And I swear if you wake Tsuki up, little brother, I won’t play with you! Not now, not tomorrow, not ever!! /Sesshomaru glared at Inuyasha as the four year old opened his mouth to ask yet another question before quickly closing it. Straightening up, he pulled his hakama on, and grabbing his kimono, he shrugged into it. “Come; let’s go get something to eat and then we can play swords.”

“Hontoni?! Really?!!”

“Hai!” Sesshomaru said, and grabbing Inuyasha by the hand, he led him out of Tsuki’s room and down the inner palace corridor to the kitchens.

888

“Now hold the sword like this and carefully bring your arm down like this,” Sesshomaru said as he knelt behind Inuyasha, directing the movement s of his arm. They had gone through similar motions throughout the early morning. “Got it?”

“Hai!”

“Good.”

Standing up, Sesshomaru walked around to face his brother and backed up, leaving a short distance between them. “Ready? Now come after me!” Sesshomaru stood poised for action, his sword held out in front of him as Inuyasha rushed towards him. He parried the first strike, chuckling softly to himself, when Inuyasha managed to counter it. Stepping back out of the way, he narrowly missed getting whacked on the hip.

The two of them continued “fighting” up and down the length of the dog queen’s bamboo garden. Unbeknownst to them, Inutaisho had slipped quietly into the garden, intending to say good-bye. Instead, he watched from the shadows of the bamboo, enjoying the sight of his sons at play. The dog general had the feeling Sesshomaru knew someone was there, watching them, as he guided his brother up and down the length of the garden. He smiled approvingly as Sesshomaru discretely scented the air as he searched for signs of an intruder. Inutaisho, however, had positioned himself so that he was safely downwind of them, and besides, he had spent enough time here that his scent lingered about the place, further confusing his eldest son as he tried to figure out who was there.

“Come on and get me, you little runt!” Sesshomaru chuckled as his brother wildly swung his bokken at him. “You can do it!” He neatly leaped up over his brother. Standing still, he held up his hand, halting his brother’s actions. “Remember, each time we hit each other with our bokken it’s like getting cut with a real sword and if you push it into me like this…” Sesshomaru took his practice sword and gently poked Inuyasha in the stomach with it. “…it’s like running me through with it. So let’s try again.” He swung his bokken at the four-year old, who moved out the way, earning a look of approval from Sesshomaru that went to his head.

Feeling more confident, the little hanyou tried to poke his brother in the stomach.

Sesshomaru reading his moves neatly stepped aside, playfully whacking Inuyasha on the behind with the side of his bokken as he rushed past.

“Oi!” Inuyasha yelled as he nearly fell face first into the grass.

“Sssh…” Sesshomaru hissed. His attention was now focused on a spot in the bamboo in front of them.

Inutaisho, about to make his presence known, froze when Inuyasha whacked Sesshomaru on the arm and burst into tears.

“Gomen!! I…I didn’t me…me…mean… to cut your arm off!!” he choked out as Sesshomaru knelt and held him close.

“It’s okay, Inu-chan…” Sesshomaru said softly. “Sssh… there’s someone here.” He scanned the bamboo in front of them, but now that the feeling of being watched was gone, he focused on his wailing brother. “See,” Sesshomaru pulled away and held up his left arm. “I still have my arm, although it hurts like hell, but that’s because I let myself be distracted. Something you shouldn’t do when fighting. Now if you can’t control yourself, we’ll stop.”

“Hai…” Inuyasha wiped at his tears.

“Good. Now where were we?”

“I cut your arm off,” Inuyasha said softly. He smiled smugly when Sesshomaru grinned at him.

“So you did. So now I shall have to get my revenge on you, ne?”

“Hai!” the four year old giggled as their play resumed.

888

Inutaisho smiled at the memory of his sons getting along. He was pleased Sesshomaru had made the effort to play with Inuyasha and teach them him the things had no time for. After one last look at the tall bamboo ringing the garden, the dog general turned and headed towards the main courtyard where his men waited for him. Now that his heart felt at peace and was filled with memories of his family, he felt he could concentrate on the upcoming battle.

“Everything ready?” he called to Takahara as he hurried over to him.

“Hai! All we need is for you to get on your horse and we’re off.” Takahara grinned and indicated the riderless horse with his head.

The dog general laughed as he checked the horse’s girth. Swinging himself neatly into the saddle, Inutaisho raised his left hand, silencing his soldiers. Dropping it, he urged his mount forward and without a word, his army surged out the palace’s gates and onto the wide plain in front of it. When the gates closed behind them, the dog general felt as though the battle had begun. They took off in the direction of the Tiger-Rabbit, heading northeasterly before gradually going to the east. Rumor had it the dragon was hiding in the area around the wisteria mountain of the east. The dog general had hoped that this was not the case, as the mountain was considered sacred by the humans living there. Plus he hated involving humans in his affairs unless it was absolutely necessary.

They rode on; giving the illusion that they were an army of humans traveling through the area like so many human armies seemed to do. Inutaisho noticed that the humans seemed to be fighting amongst themselves more and more each year. He idly wondered if another season of wars was starting again. Besides, he had more important things to worry about and that was to find the dragon as quickly as possible and destroy him. As the days stretched into a week that thought festered in his head like an infected wound, fuelling his anger and his resolve, as he prepared for the upcoming battle.

By the time they had reached the base of the mountain, the dog general had worked himself up into a fine temper.

“Patience, my friend,” Takahara said as he reached over and placed a hand on Inutaisho’s arm. “The bastard’ll show himself soon enough. It’s not like he won’t notice we’re here.” He chuckled.

“I know. But when I think about what he’s done…” Inutaisho growled.

“I would be just as angry in your place, but you need to calm yourself,” Takahara placated, knowing full well that it would only serve to increase the dog general’s ire.

Inutaisho nodded. He turned and looked back at his army. They had fanned out behind him, waiting for his orders. He smiled, letting the pride he felt for his men replace the anger in his heart. The calm he was searching for washed over him, leaving the dog general in a better mood and more relaxed. When it appeared that the dragon was not going to show up, Inutaisho sent the order to make camp. Dismounting, and handing the reins to a passing solider, the dog general left Takahara to go in search of his spies.

“Hosayuku-san!” Inutaisho called out.

“Hai!” The adjunct replied as he hurried over. “What is it, sir?” He stood at attention.

“Relax, nothing is wrong. I just need you to assemble my best men for a bit of reconnaissance.”

Hosayuku grinned. “What kind of reconnaissance, sir?”

“I need to find the whereabouts of a dragon.”

“I’m on it, sir!”

“You may go.” Having dismissed his adjunct, the dog general watched as he disappeared into the crowd of soldiers. Turning, he headed off in the direction of his tent for some much need rest.

888

“The dragon is there, sir, just as you thought,” Kanchou, his chief spy, said.

“He’s hiding about half-way up the base of the mountain,” Sekkou, another scout, added. Leaning over, he pointed to a quickly drawn map. “We could go up this way, and take him by surprise when the sun comes up. There’s plenty of cover and he won’t know we’re there until he sees us.”

“Hai,” Kanchou agreed. “Thank Kami-sama, dragon noses aren’t as sharp as ours. “

“Hai! Well done, it sounds like we have a plan.” Inutaisho looked up at his adjunct. “Hosayuku-san, give the orders to have the campfires extinguished and the men settled in for the night. Set watchers around the perimeter, and have them set to wake the men during the middle of the hour of the ox. That should give us enough time to move into place and await the sunrise. You are dismissed. Takahara?”

“Wait, Hosayuku-san. Dono-sama, I was thinking it would be much better if you took fewer men. You would have more of an element of surprise. I’m sure he’s had his spies looking over our camp and someone’s bound to notice if we all get up and move.”

Inutaisho thought it over. His anxiety over getting his hands on Ryukotsusei and ripping the dragon to shreds as revenge for hurting his family and his disrespect for the dog general’s hospitality was clouding his judgment. If he could, he would have gone after the dragon the minute they had found his territory as the waiting made him feel impotent and itching for action. “That’s true, but then again, it would end the waiting, ne?” The dog general was looking for an excuse to get going and they all knew it. He could feel the desire to morph into his true form coursing through his veins, and it took all of his self control to remain as he was and listen to his men.

“Hai… Still, I don’t think it’s a good idea, my friend.”

“I’m inclined to agree with Takahara-sama,” Kanchou said.

The dog general’s eyes briefly flashed red before he calmed down. “Then what do you suggest?”

“Let me stay here with most of the men while you go after him with legion of hand-picked men,” Takahara said.

Kanchou nodded. “It sounds like a good plan to me, Dono-sama.”

Sekkou also agreed. “If I were you, Dono-sama, I’d also go with a small group of men, the fewer the better. You’ll have a greater element of surprise. Once you engage the dragon in battle the rest of us can come to your aid.”

“It would be a simple matter to inform the men to be ready to go at a moment’s notice,” Hosayuku said. “If you strike at dawn, we can be ready to join you then.”

“Hai. As much as I want to go and take his head already, I can see the wisdom in using more stealthy measures.”

“Don’t worry, my friend, you’ll have your chance,” Takahara said. He grinned as the dog general chuckled.

“Hai, it’s decided then. Hosayuku-san, gather an elite team of warriors and have them be ready to leave with me within the hour. We’ll set up a small encampment closer to the dragon and at dawn we’ll strike!”

“Hai!”

888

Inutaisho watched as the sun climbed its way into the sky just over the eastern side of the mountain. As it went higher the area seemed to explode with light and the dog general saw it as a good omen. There just as the sun became a huge a huge fireball in the sky, the image of the dragon came into view. Ryukotsusei was backlit and his silhouette looked larger than the dog general remembered, but despite that fact, Inutaisho felt a grin twitching at the corners of his mouth. This was it, the moment he had been waiting for, and taking a step forward, he prepared to face off against his sworn enemy. Without even realizing he had done it, the Tetsusaiga was unsheathed and held at the ready.

Ryukotsusei chuckled as the rising sun warmed his back and brought his enemies into view. Such puny enemies aren’t even worth my time, and yet this should prove interesting...

Inutaisho stepped in front of his men and glared up at the dragon. Ryukotsusei towered above him and yet the dog general felt no fear. Instead, he felt invincible as he faced off against the huge monstrosity. Glaring and sizing each other up, the two stood there, preparing to attack as they watched for any little sign of weakness. The tension mounted as the dog general began to assume his true form as well. Gathering his anger, Inutaisho held it deep within him, letting it warm him as his rage grew.

Ryukotsusei laughed as the tiny man below him slowly grew into a giant dog. He watched, fascinated, as the dog general’s eyes turned red. The snarl that escaped Inutaisho’s lips lengthened his jaws, pulling them into the familiar shape of a dog’s muzzle. As the wind whipped up around the dog general, his face grew longer narrower. His hair fell out of the high ponytail he wore, only to merge with his pointed ears to become the soft, silky, floppy ears. Like ripples spreading out across a pond, the changes rippled down from his head. Inutaisho’s shoulders grew broader and his arms grew longer, his fingers shortening into paws. The dust that swirled about blurred the action, yet added to the air of unreality as the dog general’s armor morphed into fur while his swords seemed to have disappeared. His twin fur boas, settling about his shoulders, wrapped around Inutaisho’s upper body to help protect him in a fight, the ends of them trailing down his back to become his twin tails. By now, his thighs had shortened, drawing his knees upwards towards his body, his shins and feet adjusting their size, while his toes became paws. Minutes later, Inutaisho howled as his transformation became complete and the dust settled and the wind died down, revealing a giant dog in place of the tiny man that had once stood there.

They stared at each other and still neither one of them made a move to attack the other.

The sun climbed higher in the morning sky, and the dog general felt as if the goddess Amaterasu had come to watch their battle. Closing his eyes briefly to enjoy the warmth of her rays on his skin, nearly proved to be his undoing, for Ryukotsusei chose that moment to make the first move. With a deafening roar, the dragon spat out a ball of pure energy at the dog general. Inutaisho neatly leapt up out of the way, and quickly assuming his smaller human-like form, he drew his sword.

“Kaze no Kizu!!” Inutaisho howled as he brought his sword down, releasing the energy of his attack. It streaked across the mountain towards the dragon, who simply absorbed it.

Ryukotsusei laughed and spat another ball of energy at the dog general. Inutaisho’s men, sensing they would only be in the way, had run for the safety of the foothills. One of his men had sent a runner down to where the rest of the army waited, to halt their progress up the mountain.

Meanwhile the battle raged on, neither side giving any quarter. Inutaisho grew desperate when even the Bakuryuuha failed to do any damage to the monstrous dragon.

888

Denrei ran as if his life depended on it. The young soldier was often used as a messenger during the heat of battle because he was small yet swift. When he reached the plain at the foot of the wisteria mountain, he was shocked to find the rest of the army had vanished, leaving only the burned out remains of the fires behind them. He could not understand where they had gone. There was no sign of any opposing army, let alone a battle. He wandered through the barren encampment looking for information as to what had happened to his fellow comrades in arms. Finding nothing, he reluctantly left the area and headed back to where the others waited.

888

Takahara urged the remains of the army homeward. Heading in the direction of the dog, they traveled westward, hugging the mountain range. However, he had no intention of going anywhere near the palace. Instead, he led them towards the territory claimed by the northern wolf tribes after the defeat of their western brothers. Takahara hoped that when passed through the area, it would trigger an attack by the Gokurakucho. Sure enough, the minute they stepped into the mountain pass shadowy shapes passed above them.

“Takahara-sama, how much longer will it take to get through here?”

“Not much longer, why?”

“I feel very vulnerable like this. An enemy can easily get us from above not mention we’re hemmed in on all sides. There’s no room if we need to retreat in a hurry.”

“Relax… There’s nothing to worry about,” Takahara assured the worried lieutenant. “We’re almost out of here. Another ri and we’ll come out near the palace.”

“Okay… Forgive me for doubting you, sir.”

“You are forgiven. I know everyone is tired as we have ridden long and hard without rest for most of the day. You were only looking out for the men.”

“Arigato.”

“Douitashimashite,” Takahara said as he watched the shadows fly over them.

888

Inutaisho slipped as he called upon his last reserves of strength. He and the dragon had been battling hard, each one giving as good as he got despite the dust that rose around them, obscuring their view. The dog general coughed, choking on it, cursing the way the dust and sweat burned his eyes. He lunged towards the dragon, tired muscles screaming in protest. Landing a blow on the dragon's thick hide, he bit back his screams of agony as the force of the blow traveled up his arms. Catching the scent of the dragon's blood, he felt a renewed hope that was quickly dashed when he tripped and fell over a rocky outcropping.

Ryukotsusei pressed his advantage, firing a ball of pure energy at the fallen dog and celebrating his victory in his head.

As the ball of energy streaked towards him, Inutaisho somehow gathered the strength to roll out of the way. Damn it!! That was close!! he thought, echoing the dragon's cry. He wearily pulled himself to his feet, preparing to land yet another blow on the dragon as he lunged towards him. Hope was renewed again, when the dragon missed and Inutaisho slashed at him as he streaked past, narrowly avoiding crashing headlong into the mountain. Good. He's just as tired as I am. They had now worked their way into a small crevasse. While Inutaisho had a greater advantage in that he chose to maintain his smaller human like form, he was rapidly losing it as he tired. Weariness magnified his senses, so that a soft landing on the rocky ground felt more like a hard one on knives.

"Kaze no Kizu!" Inutaisho cried, hoping to land a death blow. The energy of his attack barely slashed through the rocks before him and the dragon laughed.

"Getting tired, are we?" Ryukotsusei taunted. He gave a half-hearted lunge in reply, the contempt he felt for the dog general apparent in his seeming boredom over their battle.

"You wish!" Inutaisho spat.

"I don't need to wish for that which I can clearly see before me. Give it up, dog!" Ryukotsusei cried. "Even your friends know it's hopeless."

"Keh!"

"It's true. While you were so pitifully trying to kill me, they fled at first light."

"Liar!" Inutaisho cried as he inched his way slowly out of the crevasse.

"See for yourself." The dragon backed away, luring the tired dog general out into the open.

Before Inutaisho had a chance to see for himself if it was true or not, Ryukotsusei lunged at him. The dog general ducked, catching a glancing blow to his sword arm as he held it up to defend himself. Hand numb from the pain, Inutaisho nearly lost the Tetsusaiga as he dropped it. Somehow the dog general was able to reach out and grab it with his other hand. In doing so, he dropped his guard, and Ryukotsusei pressed the advantage. The dragon slashed at him, the dog general’s momentum furthering the damage done to him. He felt a sharp searing pain lancing through him, as the dragon's claws ripped open his side. The blood flowed freely, its warmth seeping through his armor and clothes. For one brief moment, Inutaisho felt a deep sense of calm envelop him before rage took its place. The rocks and stones underfoot faded away and the smell of the dragon and their blood, instead of nauseating him with its sharp metallic scent, excited him. Battle lust replacing his exhaustion, Inutaisho mentally prepared for the final confrontation.

Ignoring his exhaustion and, desperate to find a quick end to this fight, the dog general prayed to the gods and his ancestors to help him find the strength he needed to avenge the insult to his family and clan. Every cut, scrape, and bruise ached as he gathered his last reserves and focused it into the power he needed for the battle at hand. Feeling his life ebb away with each step he took, Inutaisho continued the battle. As if hearing his silent plea from before, the dog general felt as though they had answered his prayers and finding new strength from within, he transformed into his giant dog form. The two combatants grappled with each other and with his last bit of strength, Inutaisho shoved the dragon backwards. Before Ryukotsusei could react, Inutaisho lunged at him. The strength of his bloodline flowed through him, making his head swim with the heady feeling of power. Confused and unable to get a sense of his own self, as his ancestors possessed and overwhelmed him, Inutaisho none-the-less still managed to somehow pin the dragon to the side of the mountain, losing a claw in the process. The pain streaked up his arm, releasing him from the grip of his ancestors’ spirits, blinding him, and making all of his other injuries pale in comparison. His breath caught in his lungs, his howl of pain coming out as soft as a newborn pup’s whimper. Time seemed to stand still as everything around him faded away, leaving only the agony of his injured paw. Weakened and unable to hold his dog form, Inutaisho took a few steps, trying to escape the pain as he transformed back into his human form, which only increased his suffering.

The dog general fell to his knees, exhausted, as he looked up at the dragon. At first he felt nothing other than relief that their battle was over and then it hit him like another painful blow from the dragon. Closing his eyes, he let his bitter disappointment wash over him. Ryukotsusei was merely sealed, pinned to the side of mountain instead of dead, he sleeping face mocking him, laughing at him over his failure to kill him. The dog general howled in frustration. Opening his eyes, he stared at his enemy./ Why aren’t you dead? Will I ever see you in hell? /Disgusted at his failure, the dog general wearily climbed to his feet and took a few wobbly steps away from the sealed dragon. It was as if he could hear Ryukotsusei laughing at him with each step he took until he collapsed a few feet away. Breathing hard, as his men rushed to his side, Inutaisho tried to heal his battered body.

“Dono-sama!”

“Come, we must get him home and fast!”

“There’s no time for that! Go, Suwa-san, and get one of the camp doctors!”

“Hai!”

Their voices seemed to melt into one as the world started fading to black. Inutaisho fought to remain conscious, but darkness brought with it relief from the pain. Giving into it, the dog general collapsed into the waiting arms of his men.

888

Just when Takahara thought he had miscalculated the depths to which the Gokurakucho would go to keep their territory free of invaders, the bird of paradise youkai attacked. The nightmarish creatures swooped down silently from above. They appeared to have come out of nowhere, unsettling the travel-weary army as they desperately fought back. Their style of fighting was also different than anything else they had ever experienced. They would seemingly fall from the sky, a mass of feathers and claws, before easily floating back up out of reach. Sometimes the Gokuracho attacked noisily, their shrieks grating loudly on the travel weary army's nerves, drawing a few them away from the safety of the others. By focusing their attacks on these few individuals, the rest of the birds of paradise were able to freely attack the distracted army, cutting them down before they had a chance to react in the tight quarters.


The noise and confusion of the battle brought with it a new enemy as the wolves joined in the fray. Grinning madly, Takahara eagerly fought against the Gokurakucho, leaving his allies the wolves alone. The wolves, using their speed and knowledge of the terrain, sped in and out amongst the dogs, killing them and then neatly dashing away. Sometimes they were forced to work together with the dogs to save their own skins because the Gokurakucho attacked both sets of enemies indescriminately. That brought with it an unexpected benefit as the dogs soon began to think of them as allies. From there it was an easy step to turn traitor and cut down the ahpless dogs. Only those that fought alongside Takahara refrained from killing him, furthering the illusion that the wolves could be trusted.


The more the wolves danced in and out of the remains of the dog general's army the more dust was kicked up into the air, blinding the dogs and scaring the horses. Those that bolted out of the tight formation met with a swift end from the birds above. The rest were easily killed in the confusion, sometimes by their army but mostly by the wolves.


The wolves watched Takahara’s back, while seeming not to. He led his army as best as he could, while concealing his lack of desire to do so. Thankfully the wolves knew what he had planned and they played their parts in the skirmish beautifully. Takahara watched as they attacked their old enemy only when the birds threaten his life, while keeping up the illusion that they were going at them with the same gusto they used when pursuing the dogs. He felt oddly detached from the battle while it raged on around him, with only the occasional bird getting through to attack him. Therefore, he was able to watch it without any real fear for his life. He could see that his army never stood a chance in the tight passageway that was better suited to a battle on foot than on horseback. The Gokurakucho could clear the dust away by using the powerful down thrust of air from their wings, revealing a hapless dog and picking him off before he knew what hit him.

As the battle raged on, the birds screeched as swords and claws bit into them, and neighing of horses and the grunts and shouts of the men as they fought back and died added to the hellish atmosphere. Takahara smiled to himself as the time for his escape approached. Looking around, he caught Koriyama's eye and nodded. That was the signal the wolves surrounding him had been waiting for and the soon mobbed him once Koriyama gave them the battle sign.

Just as predicted, the dogs became discouraged when Takahara appeared to have fallen in battle. Once he was safely away, he gave the order for the wolves to pull back, leaving the dogs to deal with the Gokurakucho. Once the birds had left, the remains of Takahara’s army dispatched the dying and burned the remains of the dead, before finally limping home.

888

Yogiri led the remains of the army through the palace gates just as the sun rose over the palace walls behind him. Exhausted, as they rode straight through the night in order to get home as quickly as possible. He dismounted. Without so much as a word or a backwards glance, he tossed his horse’s reins at a passing servant and headed inside. He hurried through the palace corridors, ignoring the stares and comments made by the nobles he passed as he pushed his way through to the innermost areas of the palace. He was searching for the area that the fog general used as a dining area for the immediate family. Grabbing a passing servant none too gently by the arm, he demanded, “Take me to the okugata-sama now!”

“Ha-hai…!” she said timidly, pulling away from him. The girl hurried down the corridor, not daring to look back to see if he was behind her.

Yogiri followed the woman to a set of sliding doors. She turned and motioned for him to wait, before sliding the shoji back. Entering the room, she knelt and bowed deeply. “Gomen nasai,” she said softly. “Please, forgive this disturbance, my lord and ladies.”

“Oh what is it now?” Inukouhi asked impatiently.

“There is a soldier here demanding he speak with you, my lady.”

“Show him in!” the dog queen commanded. Pushing her fear down deep inside her, Inukouhi willed herself to relax. Using all of her training as the daughter of one general and the wife of another, she adopted a reserved exterior while she waited for her command to be obeyed. The longer the girl delayed, the more time she had to compose herself so she restrained herself from punishing her. Besides, she could see the poor thing was suffering enough. Please don’t let there be bad news.

The servant, who had been petrified with fear, finally rose and did as she was bidden. Seconds later Yogiri stood in the same spot. Bowing deeply, he addressed them, “Gomen nasai, Okugata-sama, but I regret to inform you-”

“What?!” Inukouhi exclaimed, her fear for her husband getting the better of her and, breaking her resoluteness. Everyone stared, while pretending not to, at her sudden outburst. Taking a deep breath, she once again willed herself to calm down.

“The dono-sama…” Yogiri swallowed nervously and, looking up at them, he went on, “The dono-sama was killed in the battle with the dragon. Most of the army was killed as well…”

The dog queen betrayed no emotion except for drawing her eyebrows together in a faint frown.

Sesshomaru watched the lieutenant closely. He felt as though he could smell a lie, but whether it was something the man had said or failed to say, he did not know. Casting a quick glance at Atsuimi, he could see she also felt the same way if her quirked eyebrow was anything to go by.

“I am so sorry, my lady, Takahara-sama urged us homeward without your husband… I regret also to tell you that Takahara-sama was lost in a battle in the mountains we had on the way home. We were attacked by demons, the likes of which I have never seen before. We were also attacked by those despicable wolves that joined the fray and took advantage of the confusion. Since we could not find Takahara’s body, I hope they merely captured him so as to ransom him off. If not, Kami-sama alone knows what they are doing to him. I fear he may end up dead as well.”

“I see,” the dog queen said impassively. She sat there looking very much like she was made of stone, but Sesshomaru could see the slight sag to her shoulders and the stiff resolute set to her jaw that she was willing herself not to cry in front of them.

“Yogiri-san, how do you know my father is dead?” Sesshomaru calmly asked, earning an approving nod from his mother.

“Takahara told us he saw him fall and he roused the army early in the morning and urged us home before we fell as well.”

“He did, did he? Interesting…” Sesshomaru quirked a delicate eyebrow.

“Hai! I swear to you, Waka-sama, on all that I hold dear, that I am not lying to you!”

“Iie. I believe you. I just don’t believe my father is dead… wounded perhaps, but dead? I’m sure my mother would sense something if he were, no?”

“Hai….” Yoguiri swallowed nervously under Sesshomaru’s cold hard stare. His eyes darted about, casting brief looks at those assembled there. He could see that they did not believe a word he had said and he cursed Takahara to the very depths of hell as he wondered if he was in fact repeating a lie. He unconsciously fingered his throat as he waited to be dismissed. It was as if he could feel the sharp bite of a sword, severing his head.

The dog queen nodded, a cold smile tugging at her lips. She too looked at him as if smelling a lie. “Gomen, but I feel nothing. You are dismissed.”

“Hai!” Never before had he felt so happy to hear he was dismissed and his relief at getting out of there alive showed in the slight sag to his shoulders even though he remained standing at attention.

As Yogiri bowed and prepared to leave the room, Sesshomaru added, “Yogiri-san, when you’ve had a chance to rest, I want a full report on what happened.”

“You will have it, sir!”

“Now go.”

Dismissed, the lieutenant headed towards the barracks and the rest of the men.

888

“I’m no healer, but anyone can see he’s been badly wounded, but if he rests I believe the dono-sama should be just fine in a few days. I’ve seen him take far worse wounds on the battlefield and live to tell the tale.”

“That’s good to hear, Rouhei.”

The old soldier nodded. He checked the dog general’s bandages one last time, and gently brushing his fingertips against Inutaisho’s forehead, he checked for signs of a fever. Relieved that the dog general seemed alright for the moment, he and Hosayuku turned to leave the tent where Inutaisho slept fitfully.

“Taka… hara…” the dog general rasped.

“Ssh… you need your rest, Dono-sama.” Rouhei said as he hurried over to him. “If the pain is too much, I can try to make you something for it.”

“Iie… must … get… home…”

“Give it a few days, my lord, you need to regain your strength.”

“Must… go… now…”

“My lord,” Hosayuku said. “Please. Rouhei says you need to regain your strength.”

“Women… are… danger…” Inutaisho whispered.

“Ssh… Sleep, my lord,” Rouhei said.

Hosayuku pulled the old soldier aside. “Is he feverish?”

Rouhei shook his head. “He doesn’t feel warm, but he does need to rest and if he gets agitated…”

“Then he will not rest.” Hosayuku paused to think it over. “Perhaps we should do as he says and bring him home.”

“Hai… It seems we have no choice in the matter, although I would feel better if we stayed a bit longer until he regains more of his strength.”

“I know… But what can we do? If we wait and something does happen, then we will be to blame.”

“Better to face the wrath of the okugata-sama than the dono-sama”

Hosayuku nodded and chuckled as they left to make preparations to leave.

888

Inukouhi tapped her forefinger against her lips as she thought things over. Sighing, she said to the servant who was clearing away the remains of her breakfast, “Have someone find Izayoi-hime and bring her to me.”

“Hai.”

“My lady,” Atsuimi said as she quirked a delicate eyebrow.

“Hai?”

“Why summon the human?”

“Perhaps she can sense something, seeing as she is his mate,” the dog queen said irritably.

“Haha-ue, she’s human and she’s never felt anything before when Chichi-ue got wounded,” Sesshomaru said as he set down his teacup.

“True…” the dog queen said thoughtfully. “But this is different. If your father really is dead, then surely even a mere human would be able to sense that, ne?”

Sesshomaru frowned. “It’s possible, but I don’t know. I’ve only seen her react when she sees his wounds for herself, Haha-ue.”

“I wouldn’t worry about it until we know for sure. Your father is a taiyoukai who’s seen many battles and will no doubt see many more.” The dog queen gave her son a tight little smile, before sipping her tea.

“Your mother is right, Waka-sama,” Atsuimi added. “I have seen him return form many battles battered and wounded and within a week he was chasing after your mother like a young pup.” She and dog queen exchanged smiles.

“Hai!” Inukouhi giggled like a young girl at the memory.

Sesshomaru, however, deepened his frown.

“Do not let your fears cloud your heart, Waka-sama.”

“Hai.” Sesshomaru sighed. I hope you’re right about this, Haha-ue…

888

Izayoi made her way quickly through the palace corridors. Can the dono-sama be home so soon? Is he alright? Please let it not be bad news… The closer she got to where the dog queen was waiting for her, the slower her pace, and she used the time to compose herself. Before she knew it, Izayoi had found herself just outside the room where the dog queen was having breakfast. She waited just outside while a servant announced her presence.

Entering the room, Izayoi bowed deeply.

“Izayoi-hime?”

“Hai…?” she said as she sat back on her heels. “Is there something wrong, Okugata-sama?”

The dog queen exchanged glances with her friend.

“The okugata-sama wishes to know if you feel anything concerning the dono-sama.”

“Iie… May I ask why?”

“Rumor has it my father fell in battle with the dragon,” Sesshomaru said.

Izayoi stared blankly at them as she willed herself to breathe. “Fell in battle…?” the human woman repeated stupidly. She felt a stab of fear pierce her heart at the thought her beloved was gone, but a part of her steadfastly refused to believe it and she clung to the hope, however slim, that he was still alive.

They watched the subtle play of emotion flit across the human woman’s face end with a frown.

“Hai,” Inukouhi replied.

“My mother wishes to know if he is dead,” Sesshomaru said bluntly.

Dead…? “Why…? You’re saying it’s not certain…?” Izayoi mind was buzzing with conflicting thoughts as relief washed over her. “How would I… know?”

“You are his mate, are you not?” Inukouhi said.

“I believe so.”

“Then as his mate you would know these things as you would feel his death.” The dog queen stared at the human woman before her.

“But…? I do not understand…”

“When you are mates you feel when the other is in danger,” Atsuimi said softly. “As well as their death if such a thing has happened.” She looked at her friend. “My lady, maybe the reason Izayoi-hime doesn’t know if there’s any truth to the rumor is because the rumor is false. And your husband is still alive.”

“Perhaps…”

“Or perhaps the reason she doesn’t know, Haha-ue is because she’s a human,” Sesshomaru countered.

“Hai…”

Izayoi hated the way they discussed things as if she wasn’t there one minute, only to be there the next. Please, Kami-sama, let the dono-sama be alive and well. Please… She felt her eyes welling up with tears.

“If you’re going to cry, then you should go,” the dog queen said and with a wave of her hand, Izayoi found herself dismissed. When she left the room her fears and worry over her mate threatened to overwhelm her as she made her way slowly back to her room.

888

They took turns supporting the dog general in the saddle as they slowly made their way back to the palace. It was slow going and they had to stop several times to change his bandages. Those who dared to spent the time arguing the merits of continuing the journey home instead of waiting, even though it was painfully obvious the journey was harmful to the dog general. Kancho, who sided with those who wanted to wait, was hard pressed to keep order amongst the men as those who wished to hurry back became more and more vocal in their arguments. He may not have been a healer, but he could see that their rush to get home was doing far more harm than good and it worried him greatly. After speaking with Sekkou and Rouhei, and weighing the merits of staying versus going, Kancho, praying he made the correct decision, chose to now follow Inutaisho’s last orders. With a heavy heart, he informed the men that they were to go as that is what their lord had commanded. When it appeared he would die on the way home whether they remained in one place or not, the order was given to bring him back as quickly as possible. Hosayuku was chosen to carry him, and gathering his youki, he held the dog general close and slowly rose upwards into the sky while the others would follow more slowly behind.
Sign up to rate and review this story