Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Secrets of the Otogan

Chapter One: Reflections

by lexi-chan 0 reviews

Haruno Lexi's elite shinobi parents die under mysterious circumstances, and now Lexi must discover the secrets of her kekkai genkai alone...or does she?

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Kakashi,Naruto,Sakura,Sasuke - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2007-10-26 - Updated: 2007-11-01 - 1823 words

0Unrated

AUTHORS NOTE: So this is my first Naruto fanfic. I’m already an old pro at the Fall Out Boy fanfic and I got tired of it, so here we are! Now, I’m only in the 6th manga volume, but I’ve seen lots of random Anime episodes and I’ve read up on the story. My brother, Max, is an older Naruto fan…NaruTard, if you will. So he helps me with this because he understands more than I do, but he can’t write worth shit. And I am emotionally attached to all the characters and a total Sasuke/Gaara/Kakashi fangirl (Oh and I cried when Haku and Zabuza died). The two of us make a good team. Something I really fucked up was the character’s ages; Lexi’s mother would have had to be, like, twelve when she was born for this to work in sync with the original story, sooo…Kakashi is actually way older in this than in the real thing. Just don’t even think about people’s ages…I tried to make it work, but all the math gave me a headache, no joke. There’s a reason I’m a writer and not a math whiz. Another thing; Lexi is roughly based on me. Heh…but hey, isn’t that part of the fun of fanfic? Putting yourself in a situation with your favorite band, or in this case, your favorite anime characters? So…um…enjoy! It’s my first shot at this type of fanfic, so we’ll see how it winds up. All characters are properties of Masashi Kishimoto, with the exception of Haruno Lexi, Haruno Kaeda, Haruno Kazuki, Hayashi Akina, Midori, Zinan and Master Raidon, which are of my own creation and my property.
Cheers,
Lexi.


My alarm buzzer sounded through the mists of sleep, and I rolled over to switch it off. It was barely even dawn; the first pale attempts at sunlight were crossing the sky like ribbons. I sank back into the warm quilts and shut my eyes tight with a heavy-hearted sigh. I didn’t see any reason to rise, to waste another day in this godforsaken village. My chest felt heavy and my eyes were too tired to stay open. Who would miss me if I spent all day in bed, wasting my life away? I felt the hands of dreamland grasp as my mind, and I began to slowly drift off again…
“Lexi? Are you awake?” called a voice from down the hall.
Aunt Kaeda; how could I have forgotten? I moaned and sat up, my head spinning with the dizziness of falling in and out of sleep.
“Yes, Auntie.” I called back irritably.
“Good! Sasuke and Naruto have already passed by to pick up Sakura! Are you well, Lexi?”
I contemplated telling my aunt I was ill; she wouldn’t know the difference. I knew she wouldn’t dare enter my bedroom and lay her hand across my forehead to check for a fever, because they were all so scared of touching me now. But I decided I could not bear to disappoint Midori and Zinan again…were they not suspicious of all these days I had recently spent in bed?
“Yes, Auntie, I am well.”
“Then hurry, Lexi! Your Master Raidon will not be pleased of your lateness!”
“Yes, Auntie.” I yelled back.
Hating the sunlight, I crawled out of my warm bed, carefully placing both feet firmly on the floor. The coldness of the wood shot up through my legs and my back, causing me to shiver. I glanced at my clock; 5:30. I had fifteen minutes before I had to meet my cell in the back alley of the shinobi academy. I hastened and threw on my usual outfit; short greens dress, sleeveless, overtop of black leggings. I carefully tied up my delicate black boots, and shrugged my shoulders into my black fleece jacket. I pulled my black hair into a ponytail, and tied my headband around my forehead. I glanced at my reflection in the full-length mirror hanging on the back of my door; I looked remotely like my cousin, Sakura. All of us Harunos had similar features; round face, a delicate nose and chin, thin lips. But my hair was black as night, just as my mother’s had been, while Sakura’s was bright pink, the result of a box of dye. And while her eyes were clear and blue, my own were dark and gray. I turned from the reflection; I was such a mixture of my mother and my father, clearly visible to all those who had known my parents. I had my father’s half-smile, and my mother’s raven hair. My eyes glittered with the kindness of a Haruno, but were the color of a Hayashi’s. No wonder Master Kakashi couldn’t even bear to look me in the eye any longer. And my Auntie, my father’s sister; why did Aunt Kaeda not simply knock on my bedroom door when she wanted to speak with me? Why could she not speak with me directly, instead of via yelling and shouting throughout the cold wooden house? Because she was afraid, that’s why; they all were. Haruno Lexi was untouchable now.

“Lexi!” Raidon snapped when I turned up in the alley, five minutes late, “What has kept you?”
“Forgive me, Master Raidon,” I said steadily, making sure to look him directly in the eye, “I overslept. It will not happen again.”
Sure enough, Raidon bowed his head to avoid my eyes. Raidon was a tall, beefy man with brown hair and dark eyes; intimidating, but easily manipulated.
“It is alright, Lexi, but just this once. There shall be consequences if it occurs again.”
“Yes, Master.”
The four of us set off down the gravel road, and Midori and Zinan hardly so much as mumbled a ‘good morning’. I could sense their eyes on me, and when I returned their gazes, they glanced away quickly. Not that they had much reason to, but they were mimicking the adults. Midori and Zinan were an odd pair; we had been friends before, but now they seemed afraid of me. Midori was tall, with black hair and emerald green eyes. He wore a blue tracksuit with a sea shell symbol on his back, the mark of his clan. He was fast, strong and focused; the star of our cell. Zinan was a smaller boy with sandy blond hair and freckles. He wore a pair of black trousers and a yellow jacket. He was mousy and hesitant, but could save us all in the nick of time with his surprising chakra control. I wasn’t sure where I fit in; I was the token female. Taller than Zinan, shorter than Midori; better than Zinan when it came to fighting, but nothing compared to Midori. I was the middle ground, I suppose.
“Where are we going?” I asked when we had been walking further and further towards the edge of the Konoha village for ten minutes.
“To see Kakashi and his cell.”
“Why?” I inquired again, my voice sharp.
“For a practice session, Lexi. No more questions.” Raidon replied sternly.
I fell silent, my mind deep in thought. Why Kakashi’s cell? We rarely had much to do with them. My cousin and her teammates were such hotshots, and I hardly cared for any of them. Naruto needed medication to calm him. Sakura was always trying to upstage me, as it had been since we were children. And Sasuke…honestly, I didn’t mind Sasuke that much, but probably because he rarely said a word. He observed from the corner, seemingly bored, but I knew he was always taking in every word being said. I could tell from the way his eyes flickered back and forth beneath his black hair. But I’d seen him fight; he thought he was better than everyone else because of his Uchiha bloodline. Was I not the last descendant of the Hayashis, one of the greatest and elitist shinobis of the Village Hidden in Sound? My father was just a simple Haruno, but he was the best. I wasn’t entirely certain why everyone was so scared of looking me in the eye; was it because they reminded them of my mother and father…or did they know of the Hayashi’s secret? I was almost positive Kakashi knew; he had taken my mother in when she fled the Village Hidden in Sound, and quick become her closest confidant. But my Auntie Kaeda, Master Raidon? How could they know? It must have been the family resemblance.

Since I was small, Kakashi had held me dear to him. Often when my parents were away on missions, I would stay with him. Aunt Kaeda resented our closeness- after all, I was her kin, so why could she not watch over me? I knew it was a lonely living for her; her husband had died not long before Sakura had been born. My father had often told me she loved what little family she had left dearly. I did not particularly care for her, though; a tall, slender woman with wispy, limp blond hair and a nervous, tittering laugh, she tended to fuss over Sakura and I obsessively. When my parents had passed, it was certain that I would now live with Kakashi. But Lord Hokage and decided instead that I should live with my widowed aunt and my cousin Sakura. Everyone in the room had been bewildered, and I had stood up and sharply said,
“Is it not stated in my parents’ will that I go to live with Kakashi-sensei?”
“No, Haruno Lexi. That was stated in your mother’s will. Your father’s will requests you live with your aunt, Haruno Kaeda.”
“Then the wills are in conflict,” Kakashi jumped in, “Should the girl not have a choice?”
“No. I have given my word; this village shall is honoring the will of a native Konoha citizen in the case of the daughter of two shinobi from different villages. We have also considered the well being of Miss Haruno- this is for the best and it is not to be questioned or defied,” Lord Hokage replied sternly, “You of all people should understand this, Kakashi.”
I watched as Kakashi’s eye, the only one visible from beneath his mask, flickered over my own two, then trailed to the hard wooden floor beneath our feet.
“Yes, Lord Hokage.”

Kakashi had scarcely spoken to me since that day more than six months previously. Why had he suddenly agreed to a practice session with my cell? Midori and Zinan looked equally confused, though for different reasons, obviously. When we reached the edge of the village, I shook the racing thoughts from my mind and focused on the four people waiting ahead; Master Kakashi, Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura.
Sign up to rate and review this story