Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and the Zyorious Scepter

Chapter 1

by Syrus 0 reviews

Harry Potter's 5th year at Hogwarts. (Written Pre OOTP) Harry finally realizes his true feelings for Hermione, while he, his friends, and even Draco's lives are changed by a new girl at Hogwarts. W...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Romance - Characters:  Cho, Draco, Dumbledore, Fred, George, Ginny, Hermione, Lupin, Percy, Ron, Sirius, Snape, Voldemort, Harry, James, Lily, Neville, Peter - Warnings: [!!!] [?] - Published: 2005-05-09 - Updated: 2005-05-10 - 1123 words

0Unrated
The rain came down in sheets. Harry Potter gripped his Firebolt tightly as he soared through the air, squinting for the snitch. In the background he heard Lee Jordan commentating on the game.

Where is it?!? Even on my Firebolt, I don't think I can fly very long in this weather! Harry thought.

Harry was concentrating so hard on finding the Snitch, he didn't notice the two Bludgers headed for him. Fortunately, Fred and George Weasley did. Just as both the Bludgers were about to knock Harry to the ground 100 feet below, they both deflected the Bludgers toward the opposing team. Harry looked at them gratefully.

"Thanks!" Harry yelled over the rain.

"No prob! Just bag us that Snitch okay?" either Fred or George said, in this weather Harry couldn't tell which.

Harry thought he saw a glint of gold on the opposite side of the Quidditch field. He raced as fast as his broom would take him there (which was pretty fast, mind you! It is a Firebolt and all...).

I cannot let Malfoy get the Snitch! Slytherin cannot win the game!! Harry thought.

"Hey Potter!!" a voice called.

Harry looked up. It was Draco Malfoy.

"You are so pathetic! You will never find that Snitch!" Malfoy taunted.

Harry blocked out Draco's words when he saw something gold glittering above Draco's head.

The Snitch! Harry thought.

Harry zoomed forward on his broom and pushed Draco out of the way. Draco grabbed his Nimbus 2001 and careened to the side attempting to regain his balance.

"You will pay for that Potter! You won't get away with this!" Draco yelled.

But as Harry's fingers closed around the Snitch, Draco's words were drowned out by the cheers that filled the stadium. Harry could hardly believe it was finally over. He pulled his broom toward the floor of the stadium and felt his feet touch the ground. Lee excitedly yelled about Gryffindor's triumph with the crowd. The whole crowd seemed to envelope him. Through all the happy cheers and shouts, he heard Ron's voice.

"We won! We beat Slytherin 250 to 40! We won! We won the Quidditch cup!" Ron cried happily over the crowd.

He gave Ron a smile, but he found himself searching the crowd for another face. Suddenly he saw her. Hermione approached him. She looked like she would burst with happiness.

"That was a great game of Quidditch! You are the best Quidditch player I've seen!" she said as she threw her arms around his neck, giving him a huge hug.

Suddenly she pulled back and found that both Harry and herself were blushing.

"Oh wow..." she said nervously, avoiding eye contact and trying to fill the awkward silence, "The way you handled your broom...it was amazing...could I hold it?"

Harry grinned.

"Of course, Hermione." he said as he shyly handed it over.

Hermione was careful to keep her eyes on the broom and off of Harry. Harry, sensing the opportunity, haltingly lifted his hand and put it on Hermione's shoulder, which brought her gaze to his face. Both he and Hermione tried to speak, but just couldn't get the words out.

Harry finally said, "You know...well, I just...I love..."

Then suddenly, Hermione shook the broom in both of her hands and whacked Harry really hard over the head. Harry rubbed the spot where she hit him and looked her in anger and surprise.

"Hey!! What was that for?!?" Harry asked.

Suddenly there was a loud banging noise.

"Wha -?" Harry muttered.

"Wake up!! Wake up right now!! Your toast is getting soggy!!" said Aunt Petunia.

Harry dragged himself out of bed. He rubbed himself on the head where Hermione had hit him.

If that was a dream, then why does my head still hurt so much!?! Harry thought.

He soon got his answer. Hogwarts, A History was lying on his pillow.

I have got to move that bookshelf! He thought.

Harry quickly got dressed and came downstairs. Vernon's fat head was hidden behind his newspaper. Petunia busied herself piling various kinds of fruit on a plate for Dudley's breakfast, due to the fact that he was on a diet. Dudley took one look at his plate and he started to pretend to cry.

"Mum! I want some better food! Harry took all the g-good f-food! And I didn't get enough birthday presents this year! Only thirty eight! That's two less than last year!" Dudley whined.

Petunia threw a dirty look at Harry when she saw him suppressing a giggle then she said, "Oh Dudleykins! You know you have to stay on this diet! We'll go buy you two more presents tomorrow, okay?"

Dudley immediately stopped whining. Harry quietly ate his soggy toast trying very hard not to laugh. Then he realized tomorrow was his own birthday. He sincerely doubted that the Dursleys would even care, let alone remember. He made up his mind. He would ask if he could stay at Ron's for the remainder of the summer. He cleared his throat attempting to get their attention. When that didn't work, he tried a more direct approach.

"Um...Uncle Vernon?" Harry asked timidly.

Vernon grunted to show he was paying attention, not looking up from his paper.

"Could I spend the rest of the summer at Ron's house?" Harry asked, suddenly regretting that he did.

Hearing this, Vernon put down his paper and started getting very red in the face, hardly being able to speak due to his anger.

"You dare mention those cloaked weirdos in this house?!?" Vernon said almost choking on his anger, "You should be thankful we let you stay in this house! I would have thrown you out years ago if I had it my way!!"

Next ensued a glaring contest between Harry and Uncle Vernon. Harry had half a mind to tell Vernon off, but he suppressed himself. Even if he rather not think about it, this place was somehow protected and Dumbledore had his reasons for sending him back here every summer. He decided he had better not blow it for himself. Suddenly he had an idea.

I can talk to Hermione! he thought, She has Muggle parents who are as normal as can be! They're dentists after all...

Harry kept quiet, he needed to let Vernon calm down before he asked for anything again. Vernon took Harry's silence as agreement.

"Go to your room! You don't deserve any other meals today! Just hope I'm in a better mood tomorrow!" Vernon yelled.

Harry didn't need to be told twice. As he left the room, he heard Dudley's laughter following him.
Sign up to rate and review this story