Categories > Original > Drama > Lola

The Filthy Fuzz

by Sammy_Brutal07 3 reviews

The Police..

Category: Drama - Rating: R - Genres: Drama - Published: 2007-11-09 - Updated: 2007-11-09 - 1090 words

0Unrated
I remember my father, how he had me hide his bottle of liquor when the cops pulled us over one foggy October evening. He had me hide it in my pocket, spilling a few drops on my pants. He seemed so nervous, so fearful for his error. But as soon as the police officer came to the window, he was a smooth operator. He talked his way out of a major infraction. He taught me something useful for a change....


"Is everything okay Sir?" the officer asked me after I had rolled down my window for him.

I nodded, "Yeah, I'm just a little tired, and trying to get to the next town so that I can take a nap."

"Night driving is dangerous the next morning. Why were you going so fast back there?" the officer continued, looking around the inside of my car.

I prayed he didn't ask to search the car; I could always deny him the permission, but if he had a good reason to search, he could. Damn it, this was getting tense! He nodded to my inquiries about my fatigue, my reasoning for driving like a mad man. He continued to nodd as he walked around my car, me trying to keep an eye on him.

"Listen, I have every reason right now to write you a ticket. I didn't smell any alcohol on your breath, and you weren't swerving as bad as a drunk driver would. So I have no questions about you being sober. I do however..."

He walked to the rear of the car and stood in front of the trunk, "I do however, have a question about this though."

I gulped, knowing he wanted me to pop the trunk and reveal my hastily stolen items. I started to speak, but found my voice stuttering and stammering. I closed my mouth, better to be silent than stupid.

"Your right side tail light is broken, better get it fixed. How much further do you have to go to your destination?" the officer asked, walking back up to my window.

I shrugged, "Maybe a few more hours officer, not too much longer. I'm headed to Maryland."

He furrowed his eyebrows from behind his dark aviators, something had piqued his interest.

"Maryland? Why are you all the way out here than?"

Shit, he was going to probe for information. He'd pass it off as a casual conversation wrought with incriminating questions. Fuck! I needed to think.

"Just dropping off some things to family officer. I figured, why spend money on postage, when I could hand deliver it, and pay a visit right?" I said cooly, with a smile.

The officer nodded, "Makes sense to me, inflation is horrible these days!"

I laughed at his remark, "It sure is officer! But I was speeding because I have to get back for work early tomorrow morning."

It was true, my emergency leave was to end tomorrow, soon I'd be back at work. It was a relief, to make money, but it was a hassle now. My mother was dead. The sudden realization upset me, caught me off guard. The officer immediately sensed my turmoil.

"Is everything okay sir? You seem really irritated like something is on your mind. Anything you want to tell me, best let it out now before I find it myself."

I nodded weakly, my eyes downcast. I would tell him the truth, I had no choice.

"Officer, my mother just passed away. I'm on my way home, and my girlfriend has just called me and told me the news. I was speeding because I was upset, because I could have spent more time with my mother, but I didn't. I never truly appreciated her and what she's done for me over the years until now. I've been a...I've..." my voice was shaken, trying my best to speak calmly and clearly.

I continued, "I've been less than a son to her, and I never got a chance to say good-bye or thank her. I just wanted to get home so that I could see her one last time, and I know I was breaking the law, and I know you have every right to write me a ticket. I don't care if you do that, go right ahead officer. I just want to go home and see my mother before I have to bury her."

I was crying now, covering my face with my hands, unable to look at the officer with a straight face. The officer sighed, impatient and unsure of what to say or do.

"I'll be right back Sir, sit tight and don't go anywhere. I'm going to my car real quick, don't...move...at...all." he said gravely as he slowly walked back to his car.

As he sat there in his car, I watched him in the rearview mirror. I honestly didn't care anymore, I hadn't shed tears to get out of this ticket. I honestly, just wanted to go home, to sit and sort this all out. I couldn't do it alone though, not anymore. I wanted Gwen there with me, I wanted her by me when I picked out my mothers coffin, funeral gown, music, all of it.
I began to weep again, this was too much.

"Sir? Sir?!" the officer said suddenly, looking into my rolled down window, "Listen, I'm going to let this fly okay? I kind of understand your situation, and I am sorry for your loss. Still though, drive safely and calmly as best as you can. There's no point getting into an accident right?"

I nodded, sniffling and thanking him as he turned and walked back to his car. I rolled up my window and restarted my car. The patrolcar pulled out and away from me, continuing down the long highway that was spread out before me.

I let myself calm down before I started back out. I made sure to keep my speed down, not letting irrational emotion take over. As I had suspected, the patrol car from earlier had pulled over on the side of the road and was parked next to a billboard. He was checking up on me, making sure I wasn't bullshitting him. Smart cop.

My father was wrong, you don't need a lie to get out of trouble, especially with the law. You just need a good reason, and failing a dead parent is as good as any. It was time to go home, time to think, time to rest, time to let go.
Sign up to rate and review this story