Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Cohesion

Chapter 1

by Setsunai 1 review

Because rivals DON'T ask rivals to dislodge them from windows. nejihina, other

Category: Naruto - Rating: G - Genres: Humor, Romance - Characters: Hinata, Kiba, Neji, Shino - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-01-13 - Updated: 2006-01-14 - 1649 words

0Unrated
Hey everyone! This is my first shot at a Naruto fanfiction, and I hope I did okay. I am a REALLY big fan of the NejixHinata pairing, and so...that's pretty much the main pairing in here. There will also be another pairing, but it's a surprise! If you have anything against NejiHina, then don't read this. It's that simple. This fanfic was inspired in the blink of an eye...when I was doing biology homework.I was working on my vocabulary and came across the word 'cohesion', which is defined as, "attraction between molecules of the same substance." The idea just hit me really hard, considering Neji and Hinata belong to the same family and all. Now, I'm usually a goodie-two-shoes. I almost always support the canon pairings in Naruto (especially for SasuSaku), but something about this pairing is just so...cute and special. So, now that I've probably put you to sleep with my ramblings, wake up and enjoy my fanfiction, "Cohesion."

This story is also posted at Fanfiction.net under the same penname (Setsunai) and Title.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Hinata walked slowly down the dark street, passing by streetlights and benches. She shivered, and wrapped her jacket even more tightly around her small form as she continued on her way. There was no Kiba or Shino to walk her home tonight. Kiba and Akamaru had gone to Akamaru's dog obedience classes, and Shino had stated that he had "business elsewhere." She had passed by her teammate's house a few minutes ago, and had said goodbye to him and Akamaru as they departed in the opposite direction. After a few moments of staring into space, Hinata decided that she should get home before it got any darker. She was almost at the Main House anyway...she could wait to rest until she got there. Her steps were becoming unsteady, but she forced herself to keep going.

Big mistake.

Neji stared wistfully out the small window in his bedroom, braiding his hair absentmindedly. His thoughts wandered again to the curse seal which his uncle had carved onto his forehead; how it would eternally mark him as a mere pawn to the Hyuuga, forced to obey their every whim, a bird trapped in a cage that was too small. This led him to think of his cousin, the heir of his family. After what had happened during the chuunin exams, Neji had grown to hate her less. He had even gone as far as contemplating a way in which to apologize to her. However, these foolish thoughts were immediately dismissed from his mind and labeled as useless and unnecessary. He did not have to tell Hinata he was sorry for his actions. She was the only one who could somehow tell; read him like a book. And as much as he hated to admit it, he was relieved.

His train of thought was interrupted, though. He had sensed the chakra of his younger cousin some time ago, most likely on her way home. Today was different somehow, he realized. The Inuzuka boy and Aburame Shino were not accompanying her today as they usually did.

Hinata was alone.

He was pulled out of his thoughts as he felt her chakra sharply plummet, and almost vanish altogether. Neji panicked, and stumbled out of his doorway. As he made his way out of the Hyuuga compound following Hinata's faint chakra trail, he wasn't exactly worried about any consequences his actions might have. Neji was no longer concerned about what punishment he might receive from his uncle. He was afraid of breaking the oath he had made to his father; that he would protect Hinata with his life. If she was dead, he would have failed. Her father might not care about her or value her life, but she had someone who did. And that person currently had absolutely no idea where she was. Neji ran around the outskirts of the manor, calling out his cousin's name. It had recently started to rain, so he had shortly become drenched. If Hinata was out there, she was most likely unconscious...or dead. Neji did not want to stop to consider that an option.

The Hyuuga didn't even have time to react. His body flew through the air before he even had a chance to realize what he had tripped on. As he lay sprawled out on the ground, he sensed movement behind him. At that moment, his eyes widened. "Hinata-sama!" He calmed his voice as much as possible and continued. "What are you doing out here?" Hinata, for her older cousin's sake, managed to produce a small smile. "Well, Neji-niisan, I was unconscious, but a certain person stepped on me." Neji was utterly shocked. Up until now, Hinata had never spoken to him in that manner. She must have been delusional. He knelt down beside her and proceeded to pick her up, much to her initial surprise. He stood up with her in his arms and began walking back to the Hyuuga mansion. "Well then, we should bring you back home. What happened to you?" he received no reply, and so he turned his head to face hers.

A small, trembling hand made its way to his forehead. "I've never seen it before, Neji-niisan. Don't you usually keep it covered?" She brushed her fingers across the curse mark engraved into his skull. After receiving a puzzling look from her cousin, she replied. "You're not wearing your hitae-ate." Just then, Neji noticed that his forehead protector was indeed missing from its designated place. He was startled internally, but remained passive on the surface. Yes, I suppose I forgot, Hinata-sama. It must have slipped my mind. I am sorry." She finally looked up at him, but this time he realized that her expression was totally unreadable. Her white eyes were hazy, and he found himself wishing she had pupils, so he could tell if she was rolling her eyes at him.

"No, Neji-niisan - I don't think you should cover it up all the time." He sighed. "I am required to, Hinata-sama." Neji watched her frown. "Oh."

The rest of the walk continued in silence. Hinata was too scared and tired to talk, and Neji was unwilling. Eventually, the purple-haired kunoichi fell asleep in the hold of her older cousin.

The main doors of the Hyuuga compound were, as Neji expected, locked, and therefore he had to climb through his own window. If Haishi ever heard about this, Neji knew he would be in HUGE trouble. His uncle would most likely activate the seal on his forehead, as he had done to Neji's own father. And he was most definitely not in the mood for that. So, he pushed open his bedroom window with his free arm, his other one supporting the now sleeping Hinata. Neji could feel her stirring as he hoisted her through the rather small (at least in his opinion) opening. She fit though with little problem, but Neji knew he would have a...erm...rather dificult time getting in himself. He was older than her and his shoulders were broader than hers were, but if he could get them through, he wouldn't have many other problems.

The Hyuuga had gotten halfway through the window when his younger cousin decided to wake up. She stared at him for a few minutes, apparently trying to decipher why and how the two of them had come to be in their current positions; her-sprawled out on her cousin's bedroom floor, and him- halfway through the window.

"Umm...Neji-niisan-"

"Don't. Bother. I really have no idea how I got stuck in a window."

His voice was calm and steady. Hinata supposed he was being sarcastic. She was probably right, but then again she was half-guessing.

"Oh." She prodded her index fingers together in her usual way of letting others know she was embarrassed. "I'm sorry, Neji."

Yet, unbeknownst to Hinata, her cousin was too deep in thought to catch her words. 'Neji? What the hell happened to niisan?' Not that he minded. He would prefer Neji-kun, though... 'Whoa! What was that! I'm not supposed to be thinking stuff like that!' Just then, Neji came to the realization that he was still stuck in his window. "Um," Hinata began. "I was wondering...should I call someone to help you? Since...uh...I don't think I could pull you out." Neji thought about this for a moment. He considered calling the Kyuubi boy, but then he realized Hinata would probably faint again if she saw Naruto, so he decided against it.

"Call Lee." He knew it would be a mistake, but there was no other option. Aburame Shino and the Inuzuka both despised him, Nara Shikamaru was too lazy, and the Uchiha was absolutely out of the question. Rivals don't ask rivals to dislodge them from windows.

"Neji! What were you doing getting stuck in a window at this time of night?" Gai started his usual rant about Neji's rapidly declining youthfulness, and stated that his shoulders had broadened due to the onset of his 'anorexia'. And, through all of this...Neji was still in the window. He had been conversing with Hinata (over tea, of course. Neji had politely declined, seeing as it might spill on the floor) ever since they (his ENTIRE team) had arrived. Lee had apparently insisted that if Neji were surrounded by his "many friends", it would be easier to pull him out.

What a long day.

At 2:47 AM on Saturday morning, Neji was pulled out of his window by...TenTen. (Yes, TenTen.) Afterwards, Neji thanked her and then proceeded to force his teammates out of his house. Surprisingly, No one in the Hyuuga manor was awakened when Lee yelled out, "we will see you tomorrow at training, teammate Neji!" Then, TenTen whacked Lee upside the head and dragged him and their sensei back to their respective houses.
Sign up to rate and review this story