Categories > Celebrities > Savage Garden > Truly Madly Completely

2

by Rose_Angel 2 reviews

The compliation of Savage Garden's greatest hits has finally hit the stores after three years of little contact between the two men. What memories are finally awoken and pushed to the surface?

Category: Savage Garden - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Daniel Jones, Darren Hayes, Kathleen de Leon - Published: 2006-01-17 - Updated: 2006-01-17 - 2584 words

1Ambiance
Disclaimer: I have just borrowed two names of two extremely talented musicians to write a piece of fiction that is not intended to harm any careers or make money.
Rating: R for language.
Genre: Romance/Drama

Truly Madly Completely 2/2

Daniel lay in bed, staring at the ceiling, the strains of California washing over him for the millionth time. He glanced at the clock beside his bed. Three A.M. Wonderful. Another sleepless night. Tonight though, it wasn't that he was afraid of the nightmares, but that Darren was just in the next room, sleeping. In his boxers. It was an unbearingly warm night, Daniel himself was naked and was not using any of the sheets on his bed. And so he laid there, his mind racing as he tried to ignore the arousal he had, just by imagining Darren in his boxers in the next room.

He stood up and walked to the doors leading out the balcony, staring out at the inviting ocean. Usually, whenever he was upset or stressed, he would go for a bit of a swim, but not even that would calm him tonight. He's right next door. Just a wall separating you. He ran his fingers through his hair and then went back to his bed, just as Break Me Shake Me came on his stereo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was pouring rain and Daniel and Darren had decided it was a perfect day to stay in bed, making love and talking. They had been together now for two weeks, but it was as if they had been lovers for years. Darren lay snuggled into Daniel's chest, while Daniel's long fingers caressed the newly-dyed black hair. Both of their bodies were covered in sweat and the smell of sex permeated the room, leaving no doubt that these two people had had a passionate morning, and the afternoon promised the same sort of love. However, at that moment, the two men were simply talking. "She knows, you know," Darren murmured.

"Who knows?" Daniel asked.

"Colby. She knows I'm bisexual. I think she knows about you too."

"How the hell did she figure it out?"

"I told her about me," Darren sighed. "You know, when we were first dating and you have that conversation about the number of people you've been with. Well, I told her I was interested in men as well."

"What'd she say?"

"She said it wouldn't be good for an international popstar to be gay," Darren replied. "Which is true, really. Not good for the image."

"She isn't bothered by it?"

"Of course she is," Darren nodded. "But she told me she could help me. I would just have to pay for it."

There was a moment of silence. "Break Me Shake Me is about Colby?"

"Yes."

"How does she expect you to pay?"

"By not having affairs," Darren sighed and then turned to look at his lover. "But I don't care what she says. You're my entire life, Danny. I'll never stop loving you."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Danny?" Darren's voice was accompanied by a knock on Daniel's door.

What the hell does he want? Daniel wondered as he pulled on his dressing gown and opened the door. "Are you okay, mate? Do you need anything?"

"I couldn't help hearing," Darren stood in only his boxers and poked his dark head in, "you have it on."

"Oh, sorry," Daniel ducked his head down, partly in shame and partly to keep from looking at Darren. "Did I wake you?"

"No," Darren shook his head. "I, well, I was already awake. Can I listen too?"

"Uh, yeah," Daniel opened the door all the way and stepped out of the way to allow Darren to come in.

"Wow," Darren headed straight to the balcony. "This is amazing, Dan."

"Thank you," Daniel smiled. "We could sit out there if you want. It's hot tonight. Maybe we'll get a breeze."

"That sounds nice," Darren nodded. "Is it on shuffle?"

"Yeah," Daniel nodded and opened the balcony door, allowing Darren to go out first. He watched the shorter man sit in one of the chairs that Kathleen had chosen for the balcony. He took a deep breath and rubbed his hands on his dressing gown and then stepped outside himself, leaving the door open so the music could float through.

"It's a beautiful night," Darren smiled as he drew his legs up to his chest, a significantly childish gesture of protection.

"I miss you, Dare." Shit, where did that come from?

"Oh, Danny."

He has somebody. California isn't about me. I've fucked it up. "Do you have someone?"

"No," Darren shook his head. "It's just, well, I've been hoping for this. But, I figured, Kathleen."

Oh yeah. Kathleen. The love of my life. "I'm sorry."

Darren didn't say a word, he just drew his knees even closer to his chest. The sounds of I Don't Care began to filter outside and Daniel closed his eyes, remembering the last time they had made love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're beautiful," Daniel breathed into Darren's ear.

"We need to talk, Daniel."

"Not right now," Daniel shook his head. "Right now, I want to make love to you."

"What about Kathleen?" Darren asked.

"Darren, not now," Daniel leaned down and kissed his boyfriend's collarbone, moving from there slowly and passionately.

"Daniel, please."

"Darren, what the hell?" Daniel sat up, his green eyes clouded by passion and desire. "I want to make love to you. Can't we talk about this later?"

"Look, I'm worried about what's going to happen. Kathleen really likes you."

"You worry too much, you know that?" Daniel sighed as he went back to kissing Darren.

Darren mumbled something that sound suspiciously like, "you used to not care about how much I felt things".

"What?" Daniel asked, wanting the singer to clarify.

"Nothing," Darren shook his head and then kissed Daniel, hard. "Nothing at all."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looking back now, Daniel realized that their last time, Darren had been going through the motions. The next day, they had the fight and Darren had walked away from Daniel with a swollen jaw. Jesus Christ, I was an asshole that night. All I cared about was fucking, he just wanted to talk. "Daniel?" Darren turned to him. "What are you thinking?"

"Nothing," Daniel shook his head as the image of Darren's cold blue eyes came back to him. "Nothing at all."

"What do we do now?" Darren asked. "Would you leave Kathleen for me?"

"What?" Daniel turned and stared at the older man. "You want me to leave Katie?"

"Oh Christ," Darren stood. "This is why I haven't called you in the past three years. I knew you would never give up your precious Kathleen for me. Does she even love you, Dan?"

"Darren, please, don't," Daniel shook his head. Darren had always had a tendency to be a little jealous. He had demanded Daniel break up with previous girlfriends too many times to count. The diva doesn't like to share.

"I'm going to bed," Darren sighed and stomped inside, slamming Daniel's bedroom door on his way out.
Daniel just stayed on the balcony, not bothering to go after his ex-lover. There was absolutely no point to going after him and promising him love and eternal devotion. I already promised that to Katie. When he had invited Darren to stay the night, he had never thought, for even a second, that it would go this way. He had never even considered that Darren would ask him to leave Katie. It's selfish of him. But then, that's nothing new. Darren's always been a selfish prick. He stared out at the dark night sky, listening to Darren's voice asking if happiness was worth more than a gold and diamond ring and the waves crashing against the shore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Daniel hung up the phone slowly, staring at the object as if it were completely foreign. He had just gotten a very interesting phone call from a reporter named Cameron Adams who wanted Daniel to confirm the break up of Savage Garden. No, we're just on a break. But as that thought ran through his head, the reporter had said that he had spoken to Darren just two days earlier who had said Savage Garden was over. Forever.

"Daniel, we need to talk," Darren came into the living room at that moment, a cup of tea in his hands.

"You're damn right we do," Daniel growled. "Where the fuck do you get off on telling a reporter that Savage Garden is over?"

"We are over, Daniel," Darren sighed. "You and me. Our relationship. And let's face it, we both enjoy our solo projects more than working together."

"That's bullshit," Daniel shook his head. "I'm enjoying my solo project, yes. But I enjoy writing music with you."

"We can't anymore. We're over."

"Really?" Daniel felt the anger bubbling up inside him. "So a reporter gets to know this before I do? A fucking reporter gets to know that my fucking boyfriend is being a fucking prick and ending the fucking relationship and the band without conferring with me first! It would have been nice to know I was out of a job! Thanks, boss!"

"Calm down, Daniel," Darren shook his head, his eyes cold. "Just calm down. I had an interview, he asked me when Savage Garden was getting back from a brief hiatus, I wasn't going to lie to him. I answer the truth when people ask me questions."

"Really?" Daniel laughed. "That's funny. Because I remember a reporter once asking you if you were gay and you dodged that somehow. Wouldn't tell the truth when it came to the fact that you like it up the ass!"

Darren also laughed, though it wasn't his usual laugh, it was absolutely heartless and dry. "And have you told that little bitch you're fucking when I'm not around that you like to give it up the ass to your best friend? Have you told her you're a faggot, Daniel? Or is that just your little secret?"

"I am not a faggot," Daniel's eyes narrowed. "You're the only male I've ever been attracted to, though God knows I'm starting to regret that."

"Good!" Darren grinned. "Great! Finally, something we have in common! Because I regret us too! We're not in a relationship, Daniel! You won't take me out in public, because God forbid someone thinks we're together! You weren't even at my birthday, Daniel! You wouldn't give a shit if I found someone else right now. You probably wouldn't even notice. Because you're too busy fucking that bitch! Maybe I should tell her, you know. Tell her that I suck your dick whenever she's not around and then she puts her mouth on that same dick! I would love to see that whore's----"

Without realizing it, Daniel's fist had made contact with Darren's jaw, sending the shorter man sprawling against the door. Darren lifted his pale hand up to touch his face, and then stared at Daniel, the blue eyes suddenly flashing with hurt and anger. "Get out," Daniel growled. "Just get the fuck out. And never, ever, make contact with me again. We're through, Darren. As friends. Bandmates. Lovers, whatever. Just get the fuck out, you dumb bastard."

And so, Darren stood, opened the door, and left without saying another word.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daniel woke up the next morning, still in the chair on the balcony, just as the sun rose. He watched the sun coming over the horizon, the colors reflecting in the ocean, and waited for the sense of peace to come. The sense of happiness and well-being. But none of those feelings came to the surface as he remembered the night before. Another fight with Darren. Maybe we're just not meant to be. Maybe this was all a big mistake. No, no, I love him. I still dream about him. Married men don't dream about their ex-male lovers for no reason. Finally, after the sun had completely risen, he stood and went into his bedroom, taking off his dressing gown and donning his swimming trunks. He grabbed a towel and then started to make his way downstairs, stopping when he saw Darren in the living room, watching the television and eating a bowl of cereal. "Morning," he mumbled, hoping not to start another fight.

"Morning," Darren nodded. "About last night----"

"Darren, there's really no point," Daniel shook his head. "I love Katie. Surely you understand that."

"I know you do," Darren nodded. "But you must have the same feeling I do. That we're meant to be. That there's unfinished business between us."

"We ended it all pretty violently," Daniel said. "We didn't have time for proper good byes."

"Did you really want to write new music for the album?"

"Yes."

"I told Sony no."

"I know."

"Because I couldn't do it again," Darren turned, his eyes filled with tears. "I'm still getting over you, Danny. And I thought seeing you would just seal the deal. You're married. You're not mine. We're through. But instead, I've fallen right back to where I was the day you punched me in the jaw. Angry, but madly in love."

You ended it, Daniel thought but instead said, "It hasn't been easy for me, Darren. We didn't keep in touch. We just couldn't. It ended too harshly."

"So what now?" Darren asked. "What do we do now? Do you still have feelings for me, Daniel?"

You have no idea. "I think so."

"So what do we do? Do we have an affair behind your wife's back?"

"I could never do that to her."

"So what do we do? Ignore our feelings? I've tried that. Void describes that experience."

"I don't know," Daniel shrugged. And he didn't. He had no idea what to do or what to say. He wanted a family. He was in love with Kathleen and couldn't imagine life without her. And yet, the past three years had been some of the worst of his life. /Happiness is worth more than a gold and diamond ring/, he thought. But then, would he be happy with Darren? Would he be able to accept that he was gay? Or was he just bisexual? Was it possible to only love one man but not love others?

"You know what your problem is?" Darren suddenly put his cereal bowl on and walked towards Daniel. "You think too much. You think everything through and just think about it. You never actually do anything." And with that, Darren reached up and brought Daniel's stubbled cheek down, and their lips touched. And the spark that followed was immediate, Daniel felt his knees buckle for just a second as he allowed his tongue to enter Darren's familiar mouth. Is it possible to remember something like this after so many years? They stood there for several moments, their tongues entwined. And then, Darren pulled away, his forehead against Daniel's. "I'll wait for you," he breathed. "I'll be your lover. I just can't live without you."

Daniel nodded. "I could get the marriage annulled," he breathed back. "I love you, Darren. I do."

"I know you do, Danny," Darren grinned. "A man not in love wouldn't have just kissed like that." He ran his hand down Daniel's cheek, smiling at the roughness there. "Do what you must. Take your time. Just remember, Daniel, I love you. Truly."

"And madly," Daniel grinned, remembering when they used to play this game. Darren would next say, "deeply". But instead, the word that came out of his mouth was:

"Completely."


Fin
Sign up to rate and review this story