Categories > Books > Lord of the Rings > Last Hope of Mankind

Chapter Eight

by FireChildSlytherin5 0 reviews

Estel age 11 has been captured by orcs. Why haven't they tortured him yet? Why did they take him to their village and treated his wounds? Was everything that he was taught about orcs since birth be...

Category: Lord of the Rings - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Horror - Characters: Aragorn - Warnings: [!] [V] [?] - Published: 2007-12-06 - Updated: 2007-12-06 - 2321 words

0Unrated
Un-bated story!

Last Hope of Mankind
*
-*
*
Summary:* Estel age 11 has been captured by orcs. Why haven't they tortured him yet? Why did they take him to their village and treated his wounds? Was everything that he was taught about orcs since birth been false all this times? Are they any different from elves, humans and any other beings? And why has this orc child keep pulling his hair as if wanting to play with him? What would Estel learn from them that would help him during the War with the Ring and when he is King? Or will he in the end be killed by the family that he only knows by calling him a traitor?

-

/"If a man would follow, today, the teachings of the Old Testament, he would be a criminal.
If he would follow strictly the teachings of the New, he would be insane.”
/
--Robert Green Ingersoll

-

"Talking"/
"Elfish and Black Speech"/
'thoughts'

-

Chapter Eight

-

Estel, known as Mokûrz to those of the village and Proshnak sat on Kaghed’s bed, looking at the shiny rocks that Proshnak had brought with him. Estel is surprised that Kaghed, the only other being, beside the witch healer, Brura and Proshnak, had been gone for a long time. It frightens him that Kaghed wasn’t near to protect him. Estel felt lost without the Orc Warlord. Of what he was told many times that orcs should never be trusted and they only felt hatred, no love nor do they protect others around them, very selfish creatures. But how can he not trust these orcs?

They did save his life from the wolves. They had brought them to their village from the forest. Without them, he would’ve died a horrible painful death; his lifeless corpse eaten by those blood hungry wolves. His fate worse than any other, Estel could imagine. What is worse then be eaten alive by wolves?

Brura did heal him. Visited him time to time, asking him (translated from Kaghed) to see how he was feeling or see if he felt any pain or not. Looking at her kind sad smile with her sorrowful looking eyes told him that she was good hearted being, that had witnessed a tragic event that he 

doesn‘t have a heart to ask her about, which shocked him endlessly. He had never met the kindness orc in his life. And, Estel smiled at the thought, the only female one that he remembered ever meeting.

Proshnak, on the other hand was whole different story. This young small, so un-orc looking orc child was both a prankster and trouble maker, Estel notice of how his eyes glittered. Looking at this small being, that was foot shorter then he, kind of made him think about his foster brothers; Elladan and Elrohir. When will he ever see then again?

Kaghed, the Orc Warlord was his protector. The one that took him into his home, which reminded him a lot of his foster father, Lord Elrond. Kaghed and Elrond were a lot alike, on the same time very different from one another. Beside the fact that they are far apart from age, or so Estel believes.

Of these many weeks the Estel stayed with Kaghed, Estel saw the unlike his Ada (dad/father), Kaghed didn’t take baths every day, nor did he stay in his ‘work room’ all day doing paper work, like his Ada does every day in long periods of time.

Kaghed, when he was free from his lord duties, talked to him, like an equal at the same time knowing he is still a child. Unlike Ada sometimes, even if he doesn’t realized it, kept him in the dark, protecting him like he was 5 years old. Reminding him every other day that he was human and he was different from others elfin children. Estel loves them, don’t get him wrong, but sometimes, he wished that his family would forget about him being a human just for a little while, letting him do things with the other elf children, without getting to overly protective that he would get hurt or saying things that he wouldn‘t understand because he was human not an elf.

It sucked being the only human child living in all the elfin cities, minis his own mother. Of course, every once or twice each year few humans visit Rivendell, but Rangers never bring their own children with them in their travels, usually. There are few occasions, but most of the time they don’t.

Those days when the Rangers visit may be the happiest times he had in his life. He faintly remembers the first time playing with the human children. Of how they understood him, unlike the elfin children. The loving feeling that they excepted him of who he was, even if to them, he was a bit strange from living with immortals. At first he was scared of them, but over time he accepted their friendship. But sadly they had to leave with their parents. To this day, he never saw his human friends again.

Estel hoped that history will not repeat itself here. Are orcs more like elves or humans? Or are more like goblins? He never played with goblin children before, and he might never want to, if the stories about them are true.

His thoughts were interrupted when Proshnak handed him a heavy rock, which was a very bright in colour with dark swirls in it. It was very pretty rock, Estel thought looking it. It handed it back to the orc child who shook his head.



“You want me to keep it?” Estel asked him.

“/Keep it” /Proshnak replied not knowing what Estel just asked him. Estel nodded at him. A smile formed on Estel’s face.

Just then, Kaghed had returned followed by Brura.

Kaghed said something to Proshnak, who nodded and left.

Something is not right. Something is wrong with Kaghed who did not look at him straight in the eye. Brura ignored her Lord, and checked over Estel’s wound. Estel ignored her, wanting to know what was bothering Kaghed.

“/Kaghed /what is wrong?” Estel asked him.

Kaghed forced smiled. “Brura /just /informed /me that you are free to go. Your wounds are healed enough.”/ Estel smiled. Finally he can get out of this bed! But wait, why is Kaghed not happy? Does it mean he can go home?

Kaghed said something to Brura who nodded and left, closing the tent flap to give them privacy.

Estel waited for Kaghed to speck. It was hard for him to wait; his Ada made him wait for a lot of things. Waiting is boring, for it isn‘t his strongest suit.

“/Mokûrz...”/Kaghed started. “I have bad news.”

Estel set up looking at Kaghed wide eyed. ‘What is he saying?’
/
/“What I mean is.” Kaghed sighed. /‘How can he put this?’ /“We cannot find anyone or your homeland. All we find is corpses in a battle field, some miles south from here. Nothing else.”

“But—but, that can’t be! My brothers are alive! I know they are!”

Kaghed gulped. Sometimes it sucks being s King. “Perhaps they are alive. But I don’t know. I sent my men out of where you told us of where you lived. I sent a message to your father. But... It is not there nor no answer.”

Estel stair at the orc/. ‘No! Rivendell is still there! They must’ve missed it! Surely!’/
/
/“Maybe you missed it. Or maybe you men are lying! Rivendell is there! I know it is!” Estel voice started to rise.

“Calm down, Mokûrz! /Please. I know what you are feeling!/ I lost my own father and mother long ago.”

“No! You do not know what I’m feeling! You are lying!”



Kaghed sighed/. ‘Why is Brura when you need her?’ /Kaghed thought furiously. Kaghed grabbed Estel’s arms, pulling close to himself. Estel fought, hitting Kaghed with his small fists.

“No! They—can’t—all—be—dead!” Estel cried beating Kaghed on the chest. Moments later Estel stopped and collapse on Kaghed’s chest, sobbing uncontrolled.

“Shh. Everything is going to be okay. Shh.” Kaghed soothing him, rubbing his hand on his back. “They are not dead. I promise I will still look for them. I will protect you, don’t worry.”

-

Kaghed didn’t know how long he sat on the bed, holding Estel in his arms. Kaghed soothed him best as he could. Estel cried unstop for many hours. What felt like a lifetime, Kaghed heard the soft snores from his young charge. Estel had fallen into an uneasy sleep. Kaghed looked out from his tent. The sun had gone down. It was nightfall.

Brura poked her head through the tent flop. She smiled sadly of what she saw. “He didn’t take well of the news I see.” she replied approached the young Lord.

“/No he didn’t. He was very upset when I told him.”/Kaghed said./ “He believes his family is dead and that I am lying to him.”/Kaghed said bitterly.

“/Blame him do not. Still a child he is. Understand in due time when he is older he will. Tell him the rest when he is feeling better you will.”/

Kaghed can only hope and nod.

“/Asleep he is.”/Brura said smiling, walking closer to the sleeping child.

“/Aye. He fell asleep just a half a hour ago.” /Kaghed said smiling the sleeping human.

“/Here let me take him.”/Brura said, carefully picking up Estel from Kaghed’s arms.

Kaghed got up, wincing in pain as his sore, stiff measles as he stretched. Brura sated Estel on the bed. /“Need rest you do.”/Brura told Kaghed.

“/No. I have things to do.”/Kaghed yawned as he said this.

“/No! You will not! Tired you are. Let your men do it. Come and lye on the bed and sleep, you will.” /Brura said firmly, pointing to the bed. Kaghed smiled, it was nice to have someone look after you.

Carefully not to wake Estel, Kaghed climbed onto the bed next to him, covering up both of them with the blanket.



Brura blow out the candle that was next to the bed. She looked at her Lord and the human child, who in her amusement was both fast asleep.

“/Good night, Mokûrz foster son of Lord Elrond of Rivendell. Soon you will be great. But for now, sleep young one. Dream and live your childhood here in happiness. May God and the spirits protect and guide you to the path of where you are destined to go.”/Brura said quietly, placing her hand on Estel’s forehead. Estel stirred slightly, but slept on.

Brura had left.

*-
0o0o0o0o0o0
-*

Elrohir held firmly on his horse’s rains. Arianell‘s (1) large head nodded as they followed the another horse rider down the path of a field. It is morning now, the sun just barely raised from the horizon. Elrohir and his group are heading home. In each step, Elrohir’s feet felt like lend and his heart was beating

In few short weeks or two, if the weather holds up, they will see Rivendell. What will his father say when he comes home without Estel?

There were no tears left in Elrohir’s eyes anymore.

-

Two weeks later

-

Just as Elrohir and the rest of the elves was close to home. As they turned a mountain, smoke was seen.

Quickly Elrohir and the band of elves commanded their horses to go faster though the terrain towards Rivendell.

Shortly the elves stopped in horror as they approached the eastern gate of Rivendell; it was deserted.

Elrohir gracefully jumped off from Arianell, as he approached through the gate.

“Milord, it is not safe!” yelled one of the elves. Elrohir ignored them.

Elrohir looked around wondering why it was ghost town. It was if the eastern part of Rivendell was attacked, but surprisingly there was neither blood nor any bodies lying around, which confess him.

Maybe his people abandoned before the orcs attacked? If that is so, then the orcs in fury burned everything? He had hoped he was right.

“Come on, we must not linger here!” Elrohir called out.

He and the others went on heading towards the center of Rivendell.

(End of Chapter)

Words: 2,303
*
(1) Arianell: *A female Welsh name meaning “silver”. It is also a Wiccan name.

Author’s Notes: I was ask from my sister (when she read over my shoulder, she never reads any fanfics, which I pity her) if this was going to be Kaghed/Brura couple story. I do not know for sure. To tell you the truth, I do not know where this story is going through. The only guide I have is few events that I want to happen on this story. The path to those events (that I will not tell) is unknown!

I will also note that I got two kind writers/authors Thorongirl and Calenlass Greenleaf1 kindly told me that I need to go back and change a lot of stuff. Less bold letters, and spelling and grammar.

I WILL ALSO NOTE that this WILL NOT /be a normal plot where Estel disappears and comes back to his elfin family. /I AM SICK of reading fics that has nothing but HAPPY smiley endings. Real life has nothing of that! I make me sick! This is NOT a happy smiling, goody two shoes ending! But note, that I will spoil this to you all. Estel will /NOT /die in this fic. hehe. I need him in my upcoming sequels.

And there /WILL /Jbe sequels. That for sure! Another question answered. But sadly I do not know how many for now.

Read and Review!

--FireChildSlytherin5

First Edit: Thrusady, 06, Decumber 2007Second Edit: Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Sign up to rate and review this story