Categories > Anime/Manga > Digimon

Christmas Memories

by baranoshiko 0 reviews

Memories can come from good friends in a pretty little box, with a pretty little bow. Seasons 1 & 2

Category: Digimon - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Humor - Characters: Taichi Kamiya,Yamato Ishida - Published: 2007-12-08 - Updated: 2007-12-09 - 3683 words - Complete

0Unrated
This plot terror has been circling my mind four nigh on a year, and I finally got around to writing it down. It’s in an alternate universe or, seeing as nothing is ever said on what happened during the time following the defeat of Myotismon and the scene at the very end of the second season it could be during that time. You decide for yourself.

Disclaimer – Would I be writing FANfiction if I owned it?

A light snow was falling over Tokyo. Children had run out earlier to play in it, building small forts and throwing snow at each other. Inside a third floor apartment, Ishida Yamato’s ice blue eyes were reflected in the darkening window. While the blue depths may have been focused on the chaos outside, his thoughts had drifted back several years to the times he’d spent with his digital partner and the rest of the chosen in the varying climates of the Digital World.

“Nii-san we’re all wai- Nii-san?” Takashi Takeru stepped into the kitchen, his own blue eyes taking in his brother’s distant look. “Nii-san?”

Yamato’s eyes slid from the snow to his brother’s reflection in the glass. “Hey.”

“We’re all waiting for you to come back into the living room.”

“I’ll be there in a sec.”

“Okay.” Takeru turned and strode back to the living room.

Yamato wiped his hands on the dish rag, and followed the younger man. Entering the living room, his eyes swept over the assembled group. Takeru was returning to his seat next to Hikari on the purple couch. The brunet was talking to Miyako, who was perched on the armrest. Takeru turned and resumed the conversation he’d been having with Mimi. Sora was curled up next to Mimi in the oversized armchair, craning her neck to see what Koushirou was showing her on his laptop. Jyou sitting next to Koushirou on the red couch, and had a book propped open in his lap. Taichi, being Taichi was attempting to steal said book, but was constantly foiled by Iori, who was reading over Jyou’s shoulder. Daisuke was ranting on to Ken about something as the two soccer players sat next to the coffee table. Ken glanced over at Yamato, his violet eyes pleading and a long suffering look on his face. Yamato grinned and shook his head; he wasn’t going to get Daisuke on his tail.

Mimi looked up and caught Yamato’s eye. Clapping her hands together she stood up out of the chair. Sora gave a small squawk of protest as the chair cushions responded to the sudden loss of weight. “Yamato’s back! We can start presents!” Mimi’s long pigtails swung around her as she twirled on the spot.

Taichi leapt up. “PRESENTS!!!” He grabbed Mimi’s hands and the two began a rather interesting dance, considering they had barely any room to move around in.

Koushirou rolled his eyes. “The two of you are twenty-one. Do you really need to act like seven year olds?” Nonetheless, Koushirou’s laptop as being carefully stowed in its bag.

Mimi and Taichi nodded enthusiastically to their friend’s inquiry. Jyou’s book found its way to the coffee table before Iori had the good sense to move it to a spot where it was less likely to be lost under a mound of wrapping paper. Each member of the group got up and meandered to their bag, bringing back the wrapped presents they had for the others. No one noticed that neither Taichi nor Yamato moved from their positions next to each other by the red couch. The two were still waiting for their friends’ gifts to arrive.

As the ten others slowly resumed their seats, Sora cast Yamato an inquiring look. “What took so long?”

Yamato smiled at his friend. “I got caught up in old memories.”

Hikari’s eyes softened. “Digital World?”

Yamato nodded, his eyes going to the room’s dark windows to watch the snow again. The rest of the group drifted off into their own memories, each thinking about their partners and the long gone adventures.

The room was silent for a time, the clock ticking in the kitchen and faint sounds of traffic the only noise. Ken leaned his head back onto the couch cushion, and murmured softly to no one in particular. “Sometimes it all seems like one long dream.”

Miyako sighed. “I know. There are times I find myself wondering if it really happened.” The purple haired girls paused, and took out her red digivice. “If it wasn’t for my digivice I’d probably think it didn’t happen.”

The whole group fell into another silence, this one contemplative. Not a one of them had any contact with either the Digital World or their digimon in several years, so it wasn’t surprising that a small bit of doubt had entered their minds. Really, all they had left were their digivices and the few pictures they’d taken of the other world.

The ring of the doorbell startled them. Taichi was halfway to his feet when they heard the door open. A moment later Jun’s head poked around the corner. “Hey guys!”

Most of the group blinked. Jun ignored the lack of greeting. “I was just on my way back to my apartment, so I decided to drop by and wish you all a Merry Christmas!” She turned her glance to Taichi and Yamato. “Your stuff is in the big box by the door. Well, I’ve got to go!” She turned and walked back to the door. The group heard her stop and turn around. She walked completely around the corner this time. “I almost forgot! The producers decided that they’ll be starting a third season of the show. It’s so popular that they get lots of letters when the second one ended saying they should do a third.”

She chuckled as she took in the grimaces of the group. “Don’t worry. You won’t have to do anything unless you want to glance over the script. They’re gonna go completely from scratch now.” She checked her watch. “Now I’ve really got to go. See ya!”

Without another word the elder Motomiya was out the door and gone. After a second to make sure she was gone, Daisuke began banging his head on the wall. “What did I do to deserve her as a sister?”

Hikari rolled her eyes and tossed Ken a pillow to put between their friend’s hard head and the equally hard wall. “Admit it Dai, you do care for her.”

The young adult stopped his banging for a minute to look at the Child of Light. “Of course I do. That doesn’t mean she doesn’t annoy me sometimes.”

Iori tapped his chin thoughtfully. “It’s nice to have her in a position so close to the producers though. I doubt we would have heard of the new season so soon if it weren’t for her.”

Jyou nodded. “True. But it is weird to think that our adventures spawned such a popular show.”

The other eleven nodded in agreement. It had surprised them all when they’d been approached by the animation company with a proposal for a new children’s TV show featuring … well, them. None of them had been sure what to do; they’d just fought what they hoped to be the last ‘bad guy’ and when they’d returned home they’d discovered the gates to the Digital World had been completely sealed off, permanently separating them from their digital partners. Taking a deep breath they’d discussed it as a group and agreed that the show would be a good way to share their adventures with others.

They’d been called in one by one to recount the adventures they’d had in the Digital World. The producers of the show had become more and more excited with each interview. Weeks had passed, then each of them received a letter requesting their presence at a small ‘before production’ meeting.

During the meeting they’d been given a chance to look over the show’s plot. It hadn’t surprised them that there were scenes that had never happened, or that some of their adventures had been doctored to produce more drama. They’d all smiled when they saw that they, or the characters representing them, had some, ah interesting problems to get through and how they got through them.

Jyou had burst out laughing when he read about how the character representing him would be lifted off the ground by the vines of one digimon and all eight original Digidestined had raised their eyebrows when they saw the plot called for their representative characters to go to the real world to fight. They’d never fought a digimon in the real world, but all of their fights had been visible on the internet. Those reactions were just for the first season.

When the producers produced a script for a second season, the Digidestined had been skeptical. While this season varied greatly from the true story – Jun had squawked in protest of the ditzy personality she’d been reassigned to and half the group had fallen out of their chairs when they read the ending – but it had passed and they’d been slotted for voiceover sessions.

Over the next three years, the group worked on finishing high school, starting college and being dedicated to the show. Motomiya Jun had been a lifesaver when she’d decided to be their go between. She’d called them to remind them of sessions, and meetings, looked over scripts, and started a website to get word of the show out, among other things. By the time they finished, she’d become their unofficial manager.

After the show had aired, Jun had been the one to find the fanthings that were popping up all over the internet. The reactions of the twelve Digidestined had varied. They’d all enjoyed the humor and, as authors called it, ‘crack’ stories and art. They’d found some of the ‘AU’ stories to be much closer to the reality then the show was. It had been the romance stories and the corresponding art that had scared them.

In short, the last time the group had been so embarrassed around each other was before they met their digimon, a good eight years earlier. The lighter romance wasn’t bad, a blush from the two involved and maybe a catcall or two from Taichi and Daisuke, but nothing real bad. Then they’d stumbled across some more … extreme circumstances.

Sora and Yamato had avoided each other for a week after a particularly fluffy, gooey, teeth rotting romance between them. After the group found a rather explicit love story for the two of them, Takeru and Hikari had ended up beet red, as had the others (Taichi and Yamato had left the room early on and had not been subjected to the mental images the story produced). Taichi and Yamato had amused the group to no end when they found out there was a rather large following for the Taito/Yamachi pairing. The two had decided that instead of getting mad or grossed out, they’d act out numerous scenes for the others which resulted in them kissing, slapping, and groping each other.

The scariest thing about their discoveries on the internet? The wars that occurred between the fandoms. These had eventually convinced all of them to abandon the fan‘things’ in order to devote more time to their studies. College had proved to be a rather challenging time, but all of them were struggling through with their heads above the raging waters. Christmas was one of the few times during the school year that they all had time to sit down together. Dinner, talk re-knit their bonds during that time and presents were given as little reminders of those bonds through the times they weren’t able to be all together.

Of course, people like Taichi and Mimi had never gotten over the excitement of getting presents, leading the others to roll their eyes come present time.

The two were at present leaning over the rather large pile of presents on the coffee table. One by one they selected presents and piled them next to the intended recipient. As soon as everything had been passed out they shouted “GO!” and soon the air was full of ripped wrapping paper.

As usual the gifts were selected for the recipient with the thought of what they needed or might want in the coming year. So naturally the gifts were more practical than anything else.

Koushirou received different computer parts and software, which he promptly sorted into a keep pile and a return-for-more-useful-stuff pile. No one minded when their gift was placed in the second pile, because face it, Koushirou knew computers better then anyone, even the salesmen and women they’d asked for help.

Jyou received books and music CDs. Some of the books were ones that he could use in his med studies and others that he’d said he wanted to read. The CDs were of his favorite rock bands.

Sora received sketch books for her designs, watercolors to color the designs and a collection of fashion books, documenting the different styles worn through history in several different countries. When she asked, the group bashfully admitted that they’d each bought one book. Sora smiled and settled back to watch the others.

Mimi received a new set of wooded cooking utensils, a set of expensive spices, a large cook book, and a journal made for the documentation of recipes. As soon as she’d glanced through the cook book, she handed it to Yamato for him to look through.

Taichi received a new brief case to replace the worn backpack he’d had since high school, and like Sora, a collection of books that documented the laws, practices, and government of different countries. He glanced around at the group with a smirk on his face. Everyone looked away to hide the red of their cheeks. (1)

Yamato received a couple books for his astronomy class, cleaning materials for his guitar and a telescope. The small cook book he received was passed to Mimi with hers when he’d glanced through.

Takeru received a bound copy of several of the highly admired literature from around the world, as well as two journals in which to put down his writings. As a joke Daisuke gave him a book of riddles and jokes with a note telling him that he’d heard high praise for the writings within the book and Takeru should look into writing similar things. Takeru, Hikari, Ken, Miyako, Taichi, Yamato, Mimi and Sora all threw pillows at Daisuke.

Hikari’s gifts, like Koushirou’s were sorted into piles. In one pile were stacked the books and gifts that she intended to use in her student teaching position. Another pile held the camera equipment that she decided to keep, and the third was the equipment to return.

Miyako received a new laptop and two special architecture programs that let her design right on the computer. She also received materials to make models of her designs with and a sketch pad for rough designs.

Iori received a set of inkwell pens, a book that discussed the correlation between technology and the laws of the world, and like Tai, received a briefcase to take to his pre-law classes.

Ken received a small set of oil paints to replace the ones Daisuke had spilled, a set of brushes – to replace the ones Daisuke had lost –, and a ticket to the criminal psychology lecture that was taking place the next month.

Daisuke’s gifts ranged from a noodle recipe book to new dress shirts to clean canvases and watercolors to a coupon to his favorite restaurant, which also happened to be the place that he worked.

An hour later, all the presents were opened and sitting in small stacks beside the couches. The human occupants of the room had resumed their chatter, much to the dismay of Jyou, who was still trying to read his book. Hikari finally asked if anyone wanted anything to drink while she went to get a soda for herself.

While she was returning from the kitchen she happened to notice the cardboard box sitting by the door to the apartment. Shuffling back into the living room with the requested sodas she told the others about the box. Taichi and Yamato looked at each other for a full minute before laughing and excusing themselves to go and fetch it.

“Taichi! I thought you’d gone to get it.”

“I thought the same thing … except you and not me.”

A minute later the two returned with the box, and set it down on the coffee table. Pulling open the top, they pulled out the wrapped parcels. There were twelve in all, and they cast each other a glance when they realized this. Together they shrugged and grinned a response to the other’s unasked question. (2)

Each parcel was about nine by seven inches and weighed about four pounds. As they passed them out, their friends noticed that each one was wrapped in a different colored paper. Koushirou’s was a marbled pastel and dark purple. Jyou’s was a dark navy with specks of white on it. Sora’s was a deep red marbled with a darker maroon. Mimi’s was a light pastel green. Hikari’s was a pure pink, light and rich. Takeru’s was covered in a forest green paper, while Iori’s was a golden yellow. Miyako’s was a bright shade of red, bordering on orange. Daisuke’s was a bright blue and Ken’s a deep almost black shade of violet. Yamato’s was ice blue and Taichi’s a mixture of red and gold.

The ten others looked from the parcels in their hands to the two boys sitting in the group. Yamato shrugged while Taichi grinned. “They’re from both of us. Merry Christmas.”

The group glanced at each other, and slowly tore off the paper. Each person stared at the box that had been revealed with the removal of the outer paper layer.

Each box was made of a different kind of wood, and was pieced together in an elegant style. Held to the top of the box by a silk ribbon the same color as the wrapping paper was a small key. Upon examination the group found that each key was different, and the end had been molded into the shape of their crest or the crests they protected.

Iori was the first to look at the top of his box. Each box top had been set with a panel of amber enamel. Inlaid within the enamel was a small wire twisted into the shape of their crest or crests. The other crests had been carefully etched into the bottom of the panel before it was put in place, and now hovered around the inset wire.

Further inspection of the box revealed a simple lock in the front, which opened to their key. Once the boxes were unlocked the group seemed to hold it’s breath for a minute before opening the lids simultaneously.

Inside a soft silk cloth, the same color as the ribbon and wrapping paper, was carefully wrapped around four small objects. One by one the group unwrapped the cloth.

Holding in her hand a representation of Palmon, Mimi let out a sob and burst into tears. Several of the others followed suit. Carefully wrapped within the folds of cloth were small representations of their digital partners in their In-training, Rookie, Champion, Ultimate and armor forms. The detail done on the little figurines was exquisite and gave them a real quality. Small feathers, polished stones, and small pieces of metal adorned the small figures. Each wore an expression suited the stage they were in.

Taichi and Yamato were soon pulled into numerous hugs, a few leaving wet tear stains on their shirts. When the tears stopped, Koushirou turned to his two friends. “Where did you get these?”

Taichi rubbed the back of his head, and Yamato scratched his nose. “We, uh, made them.”

Hikari stared at her brother, holding the figure of Tailmon in her hands. “You what?”

“Made them?”

Mimi stared down at the figures in her box. “They’re beautiful.” She whispered.

Taichi grinned when Yamato blushed. “Yeah, Yamato did a good job with the carving.”

Yamato blushed again. “Taichi did the painting and metal work.”

Ken shook his head. “It doesn’t matter who did what. They are beautiful. Thank you.”

The others nodded in agreement. Taichi and Yamato found themselves again being pulled into a hug. Taichi smiled at Yamato, and the blonde nodded. They’d hoped that they’d done a good job, now they didn’t have any doubt about it.

Soon Takeru called for something to eat, and the group stomped out of the apartment to find some restaurant to eat at. Inside the deserted apartment twelve boxes sat on the floor, their enamel inlays reflecting the glow of the lamplight outside. Inside each box was a reminder of friends and bygone times, and of the friendship that pulled them all together.

The End

AN – Incase you were confused, I used the Japanese names for the characters. Taichi, Yamato, Takeru, Hikari, Daisuke, Miyako, Jyou, Koushirou, Iori and Tailmon are Tai, Matt, TK, Kari, Davis, Yoli, Joe, Izzy, Cody, and Gatomon respectively (I just can’t deal with the English names anymore).

(1) – they’re not embarrassed about the gifts; it’s more like they’re embarrassed that Sora and Taichi were able to see through them. They really shouldn’t be surprised.

(2) – Yamato and Taichi didn’t plan on getting a box themselves, but they each decided to make one up for the other.
Sign up to rate and review this story