Categories > Original > Fantasy

Cirque De Morose

by Cloud-9 0 reviews

It's quite clear the travelling circus is absolutely no place for children, as they were told. What with terrors of the worse kind being the main attractions. Rules being; Molly and Boreas will acc...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Horror - Warnings: [V] [?] - Published: 2007-12-10 - Updated: 2007-12-10 - 1113 words - Complete

0Unrated
Full Summary: It's quite clear the travelling circus is absolutely no place for children, as they were told. What with terrors of the worse kind being the main attractions. Rules being; Molly and Boreas will accept this or die. But should they, there is absolutely no way of escaping their fate. Neither death nor the afterlife will sever their bond with Cirque De Morose. rating subject to change

-claimer?: I do own the characters, plot, aand circus? I certainly don't know of an actual Cirque De Morose, do you?
And I'm not saying they'll be interesting enough to actually use in a story you decide to make, but if it tickles your fancy TO use them, please ask me first. I'd really like to read it. :}

And about the story; I do accept constructive criticism, but flames will merely be used to warm the hobo, Fred, who lives in my closet. How's that for imagination?? showered in bricks

----------------------------------

The breath hitched in her throat, shadows passing between a tiny gap and blocking the light across her face momentarily before she blinked back the blinding whiteness and the figure retreated out of sight. She swallowed the spit gathering itself on her tongue and tiny shoulders eased down, but she continued to hold a look of anticipation.

"Will you relax?" The taller boy (by an inch and a half, she counted) hissed mere inches from her ear.

She swallowed again, silently bobbing her head in response, whipping red curls in and out of eyesight. Her hands fumbled with the sleeve of her petticoat and deep green eyes still withheld obvious worry the girl didn't even try to hide, despite the elder trying to act braver than he actually was.

She didn't dare speak in fear of being heard. Hopefully he could see her in the thick shadows that the brick wall cast.

This seemed to be the case, since the boy moved forwards, nodding back. He placed a palm on his youngest, and only, sister's head as he moved into the light and into view to peak out the slit in the alley.

Unlike her, he had straight- though unkempt and probably in need of cut- hair with a light brown/blonde color, unlike hers which were the color of rust, and chocolate brown eyes. The one thing they did share was very pale skin which seemed to glow at night, and yet make them appear almost as the undead . Especially in his case, because of the dark circles he held around and under his eyes, unusual for his age because it always made him look tired even if he wasn't. Tired eyes that darted around their surroundings carefully.

A thick, bushy tree, rising a whopping two stories high (he estimated) blocked most of the visible entrance into the cramped alleyway. The only way someone could find them is if they were purposely looking- and so far as he knew- the 'carnies' weren't even aware of the siblings' existence much less be scouting for a pair of kids that may be hanging around some dark alley.

"Okay, no one's around..." He whispered. Removing the palm from atop his sister's head, the boy replaced it on her wrist, pulling them behind him as he cautiously exited their temporary hiding place.

The grounds was empty, for the most part. You could unnamable noises coming from a large tent 30 yards away, but no one in this general area.

Still, they couldn't be sure just how long it would remain desolate. They had to act fast. Find a place they wouldn't be seen or heard.

A trapeze was still set up at the very center of the clearing. Molly stared at it in awe for just a few seconds, having never been to circus before, only to be dragged once again along the side of a carriage bearing hay. An even larger carriage was just after it and the boy guessed this was where they kept the livestock after the show. Perfect.

"Alright Molly, this will have to do..." He was thankful to find, upon further inspection, that they haven't locked it yet. Probably empty, judging by this and the clear silence of the black 'portable stable'.

He turned to Molly, who stared from the carriage to him, all color drained from her face and eyes pleading.

"Now don't look at me like that. I know how you are with horses...since then...but..." He shuffled his feet awkwardly, not all that great with consoling. "But at least I'm here."

She looked unconvinced.

"It's the only way." His expression was stern.

Squeezing his arm now, more worried than ever, she allowed him freedom from her grasp so he could heave the heavy door up.

He could only hold it for so long, allowing her passage under the two foot gap he managed to make (no thanks to his height). Molly uneasily pushed herself to walk forwards and pull herself into the dark cavern with a light grunt.

Her brother followed moments after, dropping the door much louder than he had intended, relieved of the weight and at the same time his body tensing at the noise. Hopefully, they didn't draw any unwanted attention.

That was when the stench set in. How horrible a thing. Molly coughed, which sounded more like a gagging noise, before placing her nose into the neck of her coat, and a sleeved wrist over that. The eldest of the two simply took to breathing out of his mouth and plugging his nose.

Good god, what died in here? He thought, only on account of he could hear footsteps approaching the carriage. Otherwise, he would have exclaimed it instead of biting his tongue. Manners were never his strong suit.

He motioned for Molly to follow as he stood, then remembered that she couldn't see him.

Feeling for her arm, he helped Molly up and led her to the very back. Hoping against all hope that he could find something, anything, to hide in or behind before they were discovered. He felt along the walls, the sound of the carnies already at the door forcing him to speed his step. He had almost given up, already thinking up excuses he could tell them when he felt something at his feet. Straw! They were saved.

Fighting the urge to sigh in relief, he grabbed a large arm-full and pulled Molly down with him, covering her first.

"Boreas-!" She whispered a hell of a lot louder than necessary. He covered her mouth with his hand, then ducked under the hay just as the door was opened and he barely caught the dark outline of someone or something...hairy?
Sign up to rate and review this story