Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Heart of the Warrior Book VI

Chapter 13: Another Year at Hogwarts

by madnesspersonified 0 reviews

TMNT 2003/Harry Potter Crossover. Sequel to Books I through V. With enemies coming from all directions, Harry Potter will need all the help he can get.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Crossover,Drama,Sci-fi - Characters: Dumbledore,Ginny,Harry,Snape,Voldemort - Warnings: [!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2007-12-24 - Updated: 2008-01-30 - 8301 words - Complete

1Original
Chapter 13: Another Year at Hogwarts:

After a rather eventless journey to Hogwarts, the Hogwarts Express stopped, allowing students to exit from the train.

“Harry, you notice something,” muttered Ginny, as they had been split up from the others due to Aurors ensuring that no one was smuggling any dangerous items

“That there are fewer students than normal exiting the platform,” replied Harry calmly, as Ginny nodded. “Yes, I know, people aren’t as secure with Hogwarts as they have been previously, after what was rumored to have happened last year under Umbridge, even through the Ministry managed to stick most of that under the rug from the general public, exactly how bad it was for everyone who wasn’t a member of the Inquisitorial Squad. However, that doesn’t stop the students from mentioning what happened last year from their parents and some parents might be alarmed enough to pull their students out of Hogwarts.”

Harry took a deep breath.

“Combining that with the fact Voldemort is back, there are quite a few people who might have taken their children out of the country, especially those who have lost family last time,” declared Harry before shuddering slightly. “It’s also possible that the Death Eaters could have quietly gotten to them. There were times during Voldemort’s last reign where people went missing and didn’t turn up dead for weeks or even months after they were proclaimed missing.”

“The others shouldn’t be far from here,” muttered Ginny, craning her neck upwards, looking for Daphne, Theodore, Hailey, and Luna, before Harry tapped Ginny on the shoulder, pointing them out. The two teenagers moved over to join their friends, squeezing into a carriage that took them from Hogsmeade, to the gates of Hogwarts.

“There seems to be a lot less people here than normal,” remarked Luna casually breaking the silence.

“Yes, I got a good look, maybe about twenty five or thirty percent less,” replied Daphne. “In a school with as many students as Hogwarts, it is rather noticeable.”

“People are paranoid, about Voldemort and many of them have lost faith in the Ministry,” said Harry.

“Well, many of the pureblood and some half blood students may have been sent abroad,” said Theodore. “Muggleborns are unaware that there are other options, but I can see that some of them won’t want to return after the Inquisitorial Squad last year. And they might just return to the Muggle World, they only have to attend the first year, to help them control their magical.”

“Yeah, there are few things more dangerous than someone who has magic, but is unable to control it,” declared Daphne darkly, as the carriages stopped, allowing the students to exit, making their way towards the school, with Aurors stopping students at random every so often to check to ensure they weren’t smuggling anything questionable into the school that might have been missed on the first inspection at Hogsmeade station. It took quite some time for everyone to be ushered into Hogwarts, due to these security measures.

Daphne, Theodore, Harry, and Ginny made their way towards the Slytherin table, with Luna moving towards the Ravenclaw table and Hailey making her way towards the Hufflepuff table. Just seconds after they had sat down, Professor McGonagall led the first year students inside the Great Hall, with several of them looking confused and a bit apprehensive.

“How much you want to bet that the muggleborns haven’t been informed of Voldemort?” muttered Ginny in a low voice.

“No bet, I’m almost certain of it,” declared Daphne, shaking her head. “Talk about being thrown into the deep end without swimming lessons.”

“Something like that’s kind of hard to bring up, I don’t envy the Ministry right about now as is, but imagine trying to explain all what’s going on to the parents of muggleborns or even the incoming students themselves,” said Harry.

“Yeah you’re son or daughter’s magical and oh by the way, there is a homicidal maniac who is bound to kill anyone who disagrees with him, but still, this is an opportunity to get thrown headfirst ” declared Daphne in a high pitched sarcastic voice. “Oh, do enjoy your time at Hogwarts, by the way, kid.”

“Grim, but true, which is why this particular facet is not explained,” replied Theodore.

“Mum says certain things weren’t spelled out too clearly for muggleborns when she went to Hogwarts but then again, Voldemort was just gaining steam in his campaign and the Ministry didn’t really regard him as much more than a rumor after her first year, going closely to her second” added Harry. “Even after Voldemort made a few public attacks, the Ministry didn’t want to acknowledge what was staring in front of their faces.”

“History, doomed to repeat itself, good thing Lucius spilled the beans last year, or…” declared Daphne, but she was cut off by McGonagall announcing the name of the first students, just after the sorting hat had wrapped up its song.

The students were sorted, with Harry noticing that the number of new students were less. It seemed that a few had elected to have their children either be schooled at home or abroad. When the last student was sorted, much earlier than usual, Dumbledore rose to his feet, as the Great Hall went silent, anticipating the annual speech from the Headmaster.

“Good evening students of Hogwarts,” declared Dumbledore. “New students, welcome and I hope your time at this school will be enlightening. To our old students, welcome back and we have a wonderful feast awaiting us, but first an announcement. The dueling club last active four years ago has been reinstated at the request of the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Anyone wishing to sign up for the club should do so by the end of this week, as regular meetings will be held. Other announcements can wait until later. Until then, let’s eat.”

“Where is the new Defense teacher, anyway?” asked Ginny, as she piled food onto her plate.

“Search me,” muttered Harry. “All I know is I leaned very heavily on the Ministry of Magic to put pressure on Dumbledore and the Board of Governors to make sure there is a competent teacher.”

“I really hope they listened to you Harry,” said Daphne and Theodore nodded in agreement, but his father’s ultimatum weighed heavily on his mind. He had made his choice, but actually going through it would require a lot of skills. He didn’t want to burden his friends, especially Harry whose life seemed to get more hectic and perilous with each passing second.

“Harry, look,” hissed Ginny, under her breath, grabbing her boyfriend by the shoulder to get his attention and Harry turned around, with Daphne and Theodore joining them, seeing Lily Potter arrive at the Great Hall, unnoticed by most of the Great Hall.

“Hmm, I wonder what Mum’s doing here,” declared Harry, before trailing off, realizing. “You don’t suppose…”

“It’s possible, considering she did know about how the class would structured this year,” muttered Ginny.

“Of course, I don’t know why she didn’t want to tell us, but maybe she wanted it to be a surprise,” declared Harry calmly.

“So, the mystery of the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher is solved,” declared Daphne. “Actually how knowledgeable is your mum in the subject anyway, Harry?”

Harry looked up, before casting a few mild privacy charms, allowing himself, Daphne, Theodore, and Ginny to talk without worrying about anyone overhearing them.

“She received an “O” on her Defense N.E.W.T, managing to deal with a couple of teachers that were more incompetent than the worst we had, not to mention all the outside studying she did as an Unspeakable, most of which had to do with different aspects of the dark arts and how to defend against them,” answered Harry.

“So she might be the best teacher we’ve had since Professor Lupin,” stated Theodore.

“Different areas of expertise, really,” replied Harry. “Remus is quite versed in the area of dark creatures, but that’s not to discount that he is quite knowledgeable in the area of curses. Mum might know as much about the subject of dark arts Voldemort or even Snape, but I’ve learned at least as much from her as I have from the Slytherin library. Plus, I know enough from Sirius and Remus to know that I got my dueling abilities from Mum. Dad was good yes, but he tended to dive headfirst into situations without thinking logically. A problem in dueling, as the actual magic is less than ten percent of the battle”

“She knows what she’s doing,” added Ginny, who looked excited.

“Well, I’m all for that,” said Theodore. “After the complete and utter diabolic last year’s teacher was, we need someone who can undo the damage she’s done to us. While the study group helped, not everyone was in it.”

Harry busied himself with his food, at least with his mother as Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, he wouldn’t have to sneak around with the Defense Study group. Indeed, Harry could match up what they were doing in the group to what was being taught in the Defense Against the Dark Arts class, to make for a more solid understanding of the material for those who Harry trusted.

The feast finished and then desserts were consumed for the next twenty minutes, until the plates vanished, allowing Dumbledore to rise to his feet, to begin his yearly speech.

“Excellent, now that we have all eaten, I have a few more important announcements to make,” declared Dumbledore, looking around at the students of Hogwarts with a twinkle in his eye. “Now, I should remind the younger students that trips to the Forbidden Forest are strictly forbidden. A fact that some of our older students may be reminded of as well.”

Dumbledore’s eyes flickered over the Great Hall.

“Now, also, after a brief hiatus last year, it is my pleasure to announce that House Quidditch Cup will return this year,” continued Dumbledore, an announcement that pleased many people. “Tryouts will be held within the next week. Please see either Madam Hooch or the respective captains for each of your house teams for further information.”

Dumbledore adjusted his spectacles for dramatic effect, before his eyes locked onto the Hogwarts students.

“And now, we have one new staff appointment to announce,” declared Dumbledore in a cheerful tone of voice, too cheerful in Harry’s opinion as it seemed extremely forced. “As with many years past, a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher must have been found, to fill the void left by the untimely department of the late Dolores Umbridge.”

Harry could have sworn he heard a handful of cheers at the reminder that Umbridge was in fact deceased, that was hastily disguised into coughs, but there were also several bright looks that quickly were disguised by people bowing their heads in mock sorrow of the woman who terrorized the school at the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, High Inquisitor, and then finally Headmistress.

“Yes, well, Professor Umbridge will be missed,” declared Dumbledore in a serious voice, although a slight twinkle appeared in the Headmaster’s eye for a fraction of a second. “Of course, I am pleased to announce that the new Defense against the Dark Arts teacher this year is Professor Lily Potter!”

Loud cheers erupted from the Great Hall, as Lily just sat at the High Table with a calm look on her face, nodding her head briefly at acknowledgement.

“It could not be plainer to me that Dumbledore’s hand was forced,” whispered Daphne, applauding along with the others.

“Yes that look on his face as he was making the announcement, it was only there for about a second but still,” answered Theodore. “At least we’ll have a competent teacher this year, if what Harry and Ginny say is true.”

“I assure you it is,” replied Harry. “Trust me; you know how serious I take my Defense Against the Dark Arts.”

“We know,” said Daphne. “Hatred for Umbridge and Lockhart, the two worst teachers in the history of humanity, prove that.”

At that point, everyone began to get to their feet, to head off towards their respective Common Rooms, with many talking in hushed tones, no doubt exchanging rumors of the recent reign of attacks underneath Voldemort. Harry tried not to pay them any attention; the truth was damning enough without hearing any unconfirmed information. Still he could understand the worries of many of the students of Hogwarts, as they did have relatives that worked in the Ministry and recently, a couple of high ranking Wizengamot members had vanished from their homes. When doing in depth research, Harry had discovered that these two gentlemen did not agree with the ideals that Voldemort and his Death Eaters, thus the worst was inevitable.

Still Harry was proud to say that his resistance group had managed to stop two Death Eater attacks on small Muggle villages, with minimal causalities. While Harry hadn’t been present for these efforts, several Death Eaters were sent to the Ministry, mostly new recruits. Unfortunately, some of Voldemort’s most experienced and dangerous Death Eaters remained at large, Death Eaters that should be killed on sight, no questions asked. An uphill battle, but if even a few members of Voldemort’s inner circle were taken out of the equation, it might force Voldemort’s hand and given Harry a clearer idea of what he was up to.

The following morning at Breakfast, schedules were passed out.

“The horror, the utter agony of it all!” cried Hailey as she made her way over to the Slytherin house table, clutching her schedule in trembling hands. “Snape first thing in the morning, the world is coming to the end!”

“Well, if it makes you feel any better, we’ve got N.E.W.T. level Potions in the afternoon,” remarked Harry calmly. “Off all morning, not bad, I have a few things I need to do anyway.”

“Defense first thing for me,” muttered Ginny, as she looked at her schedule.

“Damn, we don’t have that class until Friday,” said Daphne, thumbing through her schedule. “Last class of the week

“Don’t have that class until Wednesday myself,” said Hailey, as she consulted her schedule. “I must admit I was surprised to see Mum as the teacher at first, but it does make sense.”

“Still, aren’t you worried at all about the curse that has been effecting Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers effecting your mother?” asked Theodore calmly, directing his question to Harry and Hailey.

“No, as I keep saying, that curse is nothing superstition,” remarked Lily, who had just came up behind the Slytherin table. “Harry, I want a word with you and Ginny about a certain Defense Against the Dark Arts group that you ran under Umbridge’s nose last year.”

Harry and Ginny nodded, before following Lily from the Slytherin house table but Lily turned to address Hailey.

“Hailey, I really hope you don’t do anything to antagonize Professor Snape this year,” declared Lily. “You got close to breaking your father’s record of most detentions in a year last year, between Professor Snape and Umbridge and you weren’t even there for the entire year.”

“Really, I came close to breaking Dad’s record!” exclaimed Hailey with glee. “Wicked, something to strive for. Maybe if I blow up the dungeon…”

“Hailey Rosaline Potter, you will not antagonize your Potions professor!” admonished Lily. “If I even hear of you acting up, I’ll forbid you from playing Quidditch this year.”

“Yes, Mum,” replied Hailey in a flat, emotionless tone of voice, as she watched Harry, Ginny, and her mother walk off.

Harry, Ginny, and Lily made their way up towards Lily’s office. Most of everyone was still eating breakfast, so the corridors were quite deserted and allowed for easy navigation towards their destination.

Lily reached her office, the door was covered with seven different locks. She looked over her shoulder to make sure no one but Harry and Ginny was with her, before unlocking the locks one by one, before the door dissolved to reveal a statue of a dragon.

“You have thirty seconds to say the password,” declared the dragon statue, as its eyes glowed green.

“United,” muttered Lily to the statue.

“Correct,” growled the statue as a doorway magically appeared. Lily motioned for Harry and Ginny to move through the doorway into her office, with Lily following once they got through. The entrance sealed itself shut behind them. Lily motioned for them to remain silent while she put silencing charms on her door, the walls, and the fireplace.

“Okay, it’s safe to speak now,” said Lily.

“Dare I ask what happens if someone doesn’t guess the password correctly,” said Harry breaking the silence.

“They get knocked unconscious,” replied Lily. “Harmless, but a bit more powerful than your average stunner. The locks were really more for show, as I used a simple destabilizing charm to put down that particular barrier.”

“Most would pull their hair out attempting to figure out what combination of locks to open,” said Ginny nodding her head. “It’s only for when you’re not in the office.”

“Of course, can’t take any chances that someone might try to fulfill this alleged curse and try to murder me,” replied Lily with a shudder. “I deactivate the defenses when I’m in the office, just in case a student wants to ask any questions.”

Lily sat down behind her desk as Harry and Ginny took seats across from her.

“Now, looking over the exam scores, especially the O.W.L. and N.E.W.T scores and cross checking them with the list of names in your Defense group, it is obvious that this group was very beneficial to those who participated in it,” said Lily. “The practical portion more so, as those who relied on Umbridge’s shoddy teaching didn’t do so well.”

“So, you think it would be a good idea to resume the group this year, Mum?” prompted Harry.

“Well, yes in a way, but I had another idea,” declared Lily. “Considering how successful the group was, I’m going to give both of you the chance to be appointed assistant Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers.”

Harry nearly did a double take, that wasn’t what he expected and Ginny had a similar surprised look on her face.

“Now, I know you have classes during the day that are going to take up a lot of your time and energy, so I was thinking of having you teach supplementary classes in the evening for those who want to take them,” added Lily. “Maybe a class for the first through fourth years, the fifth years, and then the sixth and seven year students, maybe once a week for each class.”

“Does Dumbledore know about this?” asked Harry, voicing one of his fears.

“The dueling club that he announced I was reinstated is a cover for this,” declared Lily. “I suspect most if not all who sign up for the dueling club would be the type that would have signed up for the Defense group anyway and if the magical contracts are used, we should be able to ferret out any disrupters.”

“Speaking of ferrets, you never did tell me how your hearing with Malfoy went,” said Ginny suddenly.

“Actually, I’m curious to hear this myself, I saw him here, so I assumed he got his status as student reinstated,” replied Lily.

“Well basically, he got back in, but if Draco steps one foot out of line, I’m expelled and Dumbledore’s no longer the Headmaster,” remarked Harry, causing horrified expressions to appear on the faces of both his mother and girlfriend. “To be fair, I was backed into a corner, but I do see a way out.”

Harry paused for dramatic effect.

“I don’t know about Ginny, but I think I’ll take you up on your offer to become an assistant Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher,” replied Harry. “So, technically I’m not a student, hence the terms of the deal are not quite valid.”

“I accept, too, Harry has enough on his plate and needs all the help he can get,” declared Ginny.

“Very well then, you are both excused, I need to prepare for my first class at any rate,” replied Lily.

Later that morning on the way to Potions, Daphne, Theodore, and Harry were in conversation.

“That’s interesting, assistant Defense Against the Dark Arts professor,” remarked Daphne.

“These extra classes are a good idea, with Voldemort and all but I can’t say I’m disappointed that the dueling club is a front for what you’re doing,” said Theodore. “I understand the necessity…”

“If I can get everyone trained properly, there will be dueling in my classes,” replied Harry as they stepped inside the Potions classroom. “Especially in the sixth and seventh year level, as I suspect most everyone in those years would have been in the study group last year.”

Daphne, Theodore, and Harry made their way to a table towards the back of the Potions classroom. Other than those three, only four students were in sixth year Potions class. Moments later, the brooding form of Severus Snape appeared in the classroom, robes billowing behind him, before turning to address the students.

“Good afternoon and welcome to sixth year Potions class,” declared Snape smoothly. “The honor to take this course was achieved through receiving an Outstanding on your Ordinary Wizarding Level Examination, so rest assure you earned your right to be here on this day.”

Snape looked out, taking in the attentive looks of his students, before proceeding to speak once again.

“Of course, earning the right to enter the class is one thing compared to earning the right to remain in this class,” declared Snape. “To remain in this class, you must work hard to ensure that your grades remain at the high level that I expect from my N.E.W.T. level students. If I feel you are not performing up to that standard, you will depart from my classroom, never to return.”

Snape looked out at the class, as if daring anyone to contradict what he said, but most wisely, not one person said a word.

“Now today, you are to begin brewing Veritaserum,” declared Snape. “Can anyone tell me what this potion does?”

Snape looked out, as everyone raised their hand. His eyes locked on Harry, before nodding.

“Mr. Potter, if you will,” prompted Snape.

“Veritaserum is the most powerful truth potion in existence,” declared Harry. “Only a few drops will cause even the most hardened of individuals to spill out their innermost secrets.”

“Correct, Mr. Potter, take five points for Slytherin,” replied Snape. “Now, as with any potion, it does have some drawbacks. Can any of you see one glaring one?”

Snape looked out, before nodding towards Padma Patil.

“Miss Patil, do tell what you think is a major drawback in the use of Veritaserum,” prompted Snape.

“If the person under the influence of Veritaserum believes something to be true that is contradictory to the truth, they will only state what they believe is true, Professor,” declared Padma.

“Exactly,” declared Snape. “This potion is also heavily restricted by the Ministry, I am one of the only four licensed Potion Masters in Great Britain authorized to produce or teaching production of Veritaserum. This potion has to be brewed to exact specifications and even when brewed correctly, it could have dangerous, perhaps fatal, medical side effects.”

Snape flicked his wand towards the blackboard, causing instructions to manifest.

“Veritaserum requires an entire moon cycle to mature, so this shall be your project over the next month,” declared Snape. “These instructions must be accomplished by the end of this period for perfect results. Once again, if you are off even by seconds or add even a quantity that is slightly incorrect, the entire potion is ruined. I suggest you spread out, to avoid distractions. I will also add this potion may very well be more difficult than anything you have brewed over the past five years. All that you need will be located in the store cupboard. Begin.”

Snape wasn’t exaggerating at the slightest at the difficult of the potion. Over the next hour, Harry consulted the instructions, slicing the ingredients at the precise angles indicated by the instructions, while double checking measurements to ensure that the potion was not botched in anyway. One thing was for certain, the instructions were among the most detailed that Harry had even dealt with and that included some of the more advanced potions that he had read up upon in the Slytherin library. Once Harry completed the last instruction, he breathed a sigh of relief.

“You should be in the process of completing or have completed your potion,” said Snape, cutting through the silence like a knife. “If you have completed your brew correctly, without any mistakes, after the first stage of brewing, your Veritaserum should be grey. Bring your cauldrons over to the shelf towards the front of the classroom, where they will be kept until your next lesson.”

Everyone proceeded to do just as Snape had ordered, careful not to do anything that might disrupt their potion in any manner whatsoever. Snape excused the students in the N.E.W.T. level potions class, allowing them to precede to either their next class or to a break, whatever the case had been.

The following day, at Breakfast, Harry, Daphne, Theodore, and Ginny were having Breakfast, when Daphne’s copy of the Daily Prophet arrived. She took it from the owl, before reading it, her expression becoming rather grave.

“What is it, Daphne?” asked Theodore.

“The Muggle Prime Minister was severely injured in an attack last night,” declared Daphne, as she read from the paper. “His speech writer was put under the Imperius Curse and she attacked him, stabbing him several times. Thankfully, there was an Auror working undercover, or it would have been a lot worse.”

“If the Ministry has people undercover, do you think Voldemort might have contacts working inside the Muggle government?” asked Theodore.

“I don’t doubt it,” declared Harry darkly.

“I don’t get what Voldemort has to gain for attacking the Muggle Prime Minister,” declared Daphne.

“Fear,” said Ginny calmly. “He’s sending a message that no one is safe, magical or Muggle.”

“Ginny’s right, with those Wizengamot members going missing and now this attack, Voldemort’s just playing a very elaborate game with the world at large, while preparing to enact the next stage of his plan,” declared Harry, bitterly remembering that Voldemort’s plans were something that remained pretty much a mystery to him.

At that moment, a sealed envelope was tossed right in front of Harry. Harry quickly pocketed the envelope, before motioning for the others to slowly follow him from the Great Hall, as to not attract any unwanted attention. Making their way upstairs, towards an unused classroom, Harry, Ginny, Daphne, and Theodore made their way inside. Harry put up silencing and locking charms, before using his wand to check the envelope for any jinxes. When it passed, Harry slit it open, before allowing the piece of parchment. The message was short and to the point.

Attack lead by Rabastan Lestrange, concentrated towards Great Hangleton at the K. Riddle Memorial Hotel, Friday Night, 11:30 pm.

Harry quickly lit the parchment on fire, destroying the evidence.

“It’s from Draco Malfoy, at least he’s keeping up his end of the bargain,” muttered Ginny

“This K. Riddle, he couldn’t be a relative of…” started Ginny.

“It’s a high possibility, Voldemort’s own attitude states that he feels loathing to anything connected to his Muggle father,” declared Harry. “It is a constant reminder that he is not in fact a pureblood. This loathing is a minor weakness, one that can be exploited, especially if one of his senior Death Eaters can be brought down”

“Can we trust this information as being accurate?” asked Daphne. “Or could it be a setup?”

“It could be, but would Malfoy blow his cover this soon?” prompted Theodore.

“No,” replied Harry promptly. “Malfoy wants to gain my trust or more accurately, Voldemort wants Malfoy to gain my trust but maybe, just maybe I’m not the one that’s being setup.”

“Harry, what are you saying?” asked Ginny curiously.

“Never mind, just thinking out loud,” said Harry quickly before consulting his watch. “Nearly time for classes anyway, let’s go.”

Without another word, Harry undid the locking and silencing charms, before proceeding to Transfiguration Class along with Daphne and Theodore, while Ginny made her way to Herbology.

Transfiguration began the official study of silent spell casting, something that Harry and his friends had been working on for a couple of years.

“Even the simplest of Transfiguration can be difficult to accomplish silently without the proper concentration,” lectured Professor McGonagall. “It is crucial for your mind not to wander, to successfully complete the assigned tasks. Otherwise, you will not be doing yourself any justice, with the transfigured items being either incomplete or a complete failure.”

With that, McGonagall assigned them several different pieces of Transfiguration, to do silently. Harry found the work to be rather difficult, but doable with the proper concentration. By the end of the period, Harry was one of the few to complete all the assigned pieces of work, earning himself ten points to Slytherin from Professor McGonagall. After the class, the homework was to practice, in preparation for the next class, as the work was to only get more difficult.

After a break, Arithmancy was the next class for Harry. The work became more advanced, but Harry didn’t find it as challenging as many of his fellow classmates did. Granted, it was not easy by any means, but it didn’t cause Harry a large amount of headaches.

Wednesday had more work with silent spell casting, in the form of Charms. Professor Flitwick reviewed many of the charms they learned over the past few years, before allowing time to begin to practice them silently. Even through Harry, Daphne, and Theodore had already mastered some of the spells in independent study, it was still an excellent application to keep their skills sharp.

Ancient Runes followed on Thursday, nothing exceptional, mostly review in preparation for the more complex work that would be done over the year. Harry felt that the class went rather well, but it was only a setup for more complex work to come.

Friday afternoon was the first Defense Against the Dark Arts class for the sixth year students. Despite Umbridge’s best efforts and thanks to Harry’s best efforts, not to mention the hard work of everyone in the Defense Study group, there were many more students in Defense then the other classes Harry had. There were at least seventy percent of the sixth year students that remained after several had been pulled out of Hogwarts.

Lily entered the classroom, deep in thought. The previous day she had taught the seventh year students, which proved to be a rather frustrating class. It was the last group of an older generation of Hogwarts students, few that were in the Defense study group and with a few notable exceptions, who saw the world as Slytherin being evil without a question and everyone else being good without a question, along with many of the other outdated beliefs caused by the magical world. The younger students especially the third and fifth years were rather enlightened and seemed more apt to embrace new ways to look out magic.

“Good afternoon and welcome to the sixth year N.E.W.T level Defense Against the Dark Arts class,” started Lily. “This class will be rather different from what you’re used to, as the homework I assign is purely optional, although it would be in your benefit to do so, as it would allow you to properly understand the material for this class.”

Lily stepped backwards, taking roll. When she finished, she turned to address the class.

“Now, before we can even begin defense, we need to understand what exactly are the dark arts?” asked Lily, as several people raised their hands, before she nodded towards the direction of Neville Longbottom. “Yes, Neville.”

“Well, they’re spells that can cause permanent damage to someone,” replied Neville a bit nervously at first, but gaining confidence.

“A good answer, five points to Gryffindor,” declared Lily. “Yes, the dark arts can cause permanent damage to someone, many of the effects that cannot be reversed, even with the most advanced magic. Now, that is not to say using the dark arts make one automatically evil.”

Susan Bones raised her hand and Lily turned towards her direction.

“Yes, Susan, would you like to share something?” asked Lily.

“Well, weren’t many of the spells that are considered dark developed for other purposes than harming someone,” said Susan slowly. “It’s just the abuse that makes them dark.”

“Exactly, five points to Hufflepuff,” replied Lily. For instance, the Cruciatias Curse was developed to jumpstart the hearts of people whose hearts have stopped, a process that had saved a few lives. Now it is not used, because it has been twisted into a tool of torture by a few sick minds, when they discovered that when used on a perfectly healthy person, the Cruciatias Curse can cause pain. As I pointed out to my seventh year students, magic isn’t evil. Some people however are and they have turned magical advances created to help, into tools meant to harm.”

Lily turned towards the class, with a thoughtful look.

“However, one could also theorize that certain spells could also be used in ways not imagined to defend from these spells that have been branded dark,” declared Lily. “Especially once in the midst of a duel, unexpected spells can catch a dangerous adversary off guard and be the difference between life and death. A simple tickling charm can catch an enemy off guard long enough, to construct a more through attack. Now there are many more examples that we can discuss today.”

The rest of the class went by in no time, with many people offering suggestions on how simple spells could be adapted for dueling purposes. Many of them Harry had thought of previously, but there were a few new ideas that made sense that Harry had not previously thought of. Granted, there were some ideas still that Harry had thought of that were not brought up, but he decided to keep them to himself for the time being.

“For your optional homework, read up on both Dementors and Inferi, as they will be covered soon and next class, we will begin applying some of the more commonly used dueling spells,” declared Lily. “And also, I know all of you participated in a Defense Against the Dark Arts group last year that went against Ministry policty.”

A few people looked nervous, but Lily waved off their concerns.

“Actually, even through I shouldn’t say this as I’m your teacher, I would have done everything I could to undermine that old toad as well,” replied Lily causing a few people to laugh. “It was an excellent idea, as it will be continued in the form of a supplementary Defense Against the Dark Arts class that will be held in the evening, at nine o’clock PM. Sign up is available on the respective bulletin boards in your Common Rooms, only visible to those who are taking the main Defense Against the Dark Arts class. Signing up his highly recommended, as it will give practical experience that may allow you better understanding of the magic learned. The first class will take place one week from tomorrow. Class dismissed.”

Everyone left the class, talking excitedly. Harry didn’t pay too much attention to anyone; he had work to do this evening.

Outside of the K. Riddle Memorial Hotel, Rabastan Lestrange quietly led a group of eight Death Eaters around to the front entrance. The Dark Lord had given them rather explicit instructions to murder all of the guests inside, before burning the place right to the ground, leaving it destroyed beyond repair. Rabastan couldn’t being to guess why the Dark Lord would attack a simple Muggle hotel with a vengeance, but he saw it as a perfect opportunity to move up the ranks of the Dark Lord’s regime, gaining favor and perhaps eventually leapfrogging Bellatrix and Snape as the Dark Lord’s most valued servant.

“Break the glass,” declared Rabastan in a harsh voice, as the other Death Eaters used their wands to blast the glass before walking up to the front lobby, where the front desk clerk laid with his head down on the desk, long hair obscuring his face. Rabastan’s face cracked into a sinister smile, before pointing it towards the sleeping clerk. “Avada Kedavra!”

The killing curse sped towards the clerk, who sprang off his chair, doing a roll, allowing the spell to blast the desk into dust.

“Good evening, gentlemen,” declared the desk clerk brushing his hair out of his face, to reveal that he wasn’t a clerk after all but rather Harry Potter. “Right on time too, good job!”

“Potter!” grunted Rabastan. “You’ve stepped into the serpent’s den you little brat. There are nine of us and only one of you but I suppose I can’t expect a filthy little half blood to be able to count.”

Harry just calmly snapped his fingers causing a set of tapestries to fly back, revealing several members of his resistance group, sending stunners right towards the Death Eaters, who were caught off guard. As Harry aimed a spell towards Rabastan Lestrange, another Death Eater who had not been knocked out in the volley of spells engaged Harry in battle, but Harry quickly shot a gust of wind from his wand, knocking the Death Eater backwards, before shooting metallic cords from his wand, wrapping the Death Eater around the stone pillar, causing him to squirm but Rabastan had blasted open a door and ran up the stairs as fast as his feet could carry him.

“Destroy any Portkeys, let me know if you recognize any of them once you unmask them, I’m going to have a few words with Rabastan Lestrange,” ordered Harry, before he propelled himself up the stairs, as fast as he could after Rabastan.

Rabastan cursed, as his Portkey had not worked. The brat must have had his allies put an anti-Portkey ward on the building, preventing his escape. Exactly how he could have learned of these plans was the million galleon question. The Death Eater blasted through a door, entering a room, but he was quickly followed by Harry Potter.

“CRUCIO!” yelled Rabastan angrily; the spell hit Harry, causing him to appear burst into smoke causing Rabastan much anger. “Bloody trickery, fight like a man Potter!”

“So says the man who throws Unforgivable curses,” replied a calm voice, as Harry stood in the shadows, causing Rabastan to send a cutting curse but another hologram projection. The door burst open and another figure appeared, once again looking very much like Harry Potter “Thanks for playing along, because the time you spent fighting me could have been time you might have had to escape.”

“I ain’t stupid enough to fall for the same trick three times Potter!” declared Rabastan, but a cutting curse flew towards him. The eyes of the Death Eater went wide, as he barely had time to duck, but he found himself levitating into the air. His wand and Portkey dropped to the ground, as the glass window pane removed from behind him, before he was pushed towards the window, dangling above the parking lot. The fact that he was hundreds of feet up without a wand to cushion the fall came to Rabastan slowly.

“Now, Rabastan, you tell me what I want to know and you won’t become a grease spot on the parking lot,” declared Harry.

“Screw you!” grunted Rabastan.

“Have it your way,” replied Harry as he waved his wand, causing Rabastan to feel a sudden jolt as if he was about to plummet towards the ground.

“No, Potter please don’t kill me!” begged Rabastan as he felt sick to his stomach.

“That would be quite the nasty spill, wouldn’t it?” asked Harry rhetorically. “But, I’m sure you helped your sister-in-law and brother do more sickening things than ridding the world of a killer.”

“Okay, Potter, you win, what do you want to know?” asked Rabastan as Harry raised him up higher before causing him to jolt down a few feet, which caused him to panic. “Please, Potter, have mercy.”

“I wonder if that’s what the mother of the children who you helped murder in front of her said to you,” declared Harry calmly. “But, I suppose I can cut you some slack if you play by my rules and if you even think about trying to press your little dark mark to call for help, I cancel the spell and you’11 meet pavement. Do you feel lucky?”

Rabastan shot Harry a dirty look but shook his head.

“Excellent, now tell me exactly where Bellatrix is!” demanded Harry quickly.

“Do I look like her keeper?” asked Rabastan. “I have no idea where my psychotic bitch of a sister-in-law is.”

“Okay, bye thanks for playing,” replied Harry as he pulled back, moving as if to cancel the spell, but Rabastan quickly backtracked.

“The Dark Lord may kill me for revealing for this, but…” declared Rabastan. “Bellatrix is working on a top secret mission for the Dark Lord, that only they know about, no one else in the Inner Circle even has an idea of what she’s up to. The Dark Lord’s the only one who has seen her since the Diagon Alley incident and I swear I don’t know any more than that.”

“Very well, would you like to tell me any other plans Voldemort might have up his sleeve?” asked Harry.

“No, the Dark Lord doesn’t inform us until the last second, only Lucius knew about the Hogwarts assault up until it happened,” replied Rabastan quickly. “I can tell you where you can find Peter Pettigrew!”

“Tell me, now,” declared Harry his interest piqued. If Rabastan was telling the truth, Sirius’s name would finally be cleared and he could finally go out in the open, instead of hiding out in Number Twelve Grimmauld Place.

“Some place called Spinner’s End, I don’t know where that is but that’s where you can find Pettigrew,” replied Rabastan. “Now, Potter, I’ve told you everything that I know, now let me up.”

“No,” replied Harry curtly.

“But, we had a deal!” yelled Rabastan.

“And you believed me, some Slytherin you are,” replied Harry, shaking his head in mock sorrow. “Then again, I can expect no less from people who follow a half blood megalomaniac who occasionally refers to himself in the third person. The fact that you expect mercy after all the people you had a hand in killing and all the people whose lives you helped destroyed disgusts me, Lestrange.”

“This isn’t fair!” yelled Rabastan.

“Life isn’t fair, Lestrange,” replied Harry calmly. “Life’s a bitch and then you’ll die so have a pleasant afterlife.”

Rabastan screamed in horror as Harry severed the spell, causing Rabastan to plummet three hundred feet straight down to the parking lot, snapping his neck on impact. One of Voldemort’s most sadistic Death Eaters was dead.

Harry looked down, feeling that least tonight hadn’t been a total loss. Rabastan had told him the location of Peter Pettigrew or rather where he believed Peter was. If there was any truth to what the Death Eater said, then Harry would finally have the key to clearing Sirius’s name.

At that moment, the door opened to reveal two of the members of Harry’s resistance force who served as double agents as Ministry Aurors, Nymphadora Tonks and Ryan Lancaster.

“Harry, we could only ID one Death Eater,” declared Ryan. “A man by the name of Rory Wilkes.”

“His older brother was a Death Eater, but he was killed by Aurors before he could be brought to justice,” explained Tonks. “Rory Wilkes was tried as a Death Eater, but he managed to get off on the ever so popular Imperius Defense but he was caught with the dark mark on his forearm.”

“And tested for signs of the Imperius, so there is no way he could be wormed out of this one,” added Ryan. “Not that he could anyway, Scrimgeour is really cracking down on captured Death Eaters who previously claimed Imperius and with Madam Bones backing him, there doesn’t seem to be any opposition. Anyway, the Death Eaters are being taken to the Ministry”

“Excellent,” replied Harry, nodding. “I found out something interesting from Rabastan before he had a little falling out.”

“What, really?” asked Tonks curiously.

“I know where Peter Pettigrew is,” remarked Harry calmly. “Well, the general area, he’s in some place called Spinner’s End, so do a scan of possible locations of the area and report back to me with the usual manner. I wish to deal with the traitor personally”

“Okay, Harry, anything else,” said Tonks.

“Oh, Rabastan had a horrible accident when fleeing from Harry Potter, who used power, magic, the likes of which that have never been seen,” added Harry. “It might be a good idea to find a way to spread those rumors through the Ministry in a way that they might get back to Voldemort, along with the fact that there is a strong possibility that I might finish the Lestrange trifecta by tracking down Bellatrix and finish her once and for all.”

“Are you really sure this is such a good idea, Harry?” asked Ryan.

“Yeah, Voldemort might get enraged and want to kill…oh yeah right, I forgot who I’m talking to,” said Tonks with a bit of a sheepish grin.

“Time to throw Voldemort’s own psychological warfare back in his face and see how he likes a dose of his own medicine,” declared Harry before adding. “Oh and you might want to remove Rabastan’s body from the parking lot, wouldn’t want to freak out any Muggles.”

Tonks and Ryan made their way to the window, looking down at the corpse of Rabastan Lestrange, who nearly had his head knocked cleanly off from the impact, with his face looking rather managed along with his arms and legs bent at angles that limbs were never meant to bent.

“Freak Muggles about, this freaks me out and I’m a hardened Auror,” declared Tonks.

“Hardened, you’ve only been a fully qualified Auror for two years,” said Ryan, shaking his head. “Honestly, Nymphadora, don’t be so dramatic.”

“First we dispose of this body, and then I find a way to dispose of yours for calling me by that wretched name,” muttered Tonks through gritted teeth.

Back at Hogwarts, Harry arrived at the Slytherin Common Room, close to midnight. When he walked in, he saw Ginny sitting on the couch by the fire, work spread across the table, looking tired and irritable, as she scratched her quill on parchment. She brightened up slightly when she saw Harry across the room, as she scratched a few more words on the parchment, before putting a preservation charm on the parchment so her work could not get smudged or destroyed.

“Harry, perfect timing, just finished with my Potions essay, which means I’m done for the weekend,” said Ginny with a tired smile as Harry sat down beside her. “Took me four bloody hours for three essays but I got everything done..”

“Why didn’t you use the Room of Requirement, after all time can be slowed in that room?” asked Harry with a frown.

“I tried, but someone else must have been inside, because it didn’t open,” declared Ginny, as she laid her head down on Harry’s shoulder before yawning.

“Hmm, very interesting,” said Harry in a thoughtful voice, but decided to dismiss his thought. The Room was known to everyone in the Defense Study Group, so it was possible they were using it as a private place to practice, an action that Harry heartily endorsed.

“Think I’m just going to go to sleep, after all I have my favorite pillow right here,” replied Ginny with a smirk as Harry slid to the side, allowing Ginny to place her legs on the couch.

“You won’t see me complaining,” said Harry as he conjured a blanket from mid air, placing it on both himself and Ginny. “I have some important news but it can wait until morning after I hold Quidditch practice.”

Ginny raised her head up enough so her and Harry could kiss, before collapsing after a long period of non stop working.

“Night Harry,” muttered Ginny sleepily.

“Night Ginny,” said Harry, putting up a privacy ward around the parameter of the couch, so they weren’t disturbed, before slowly drifting off to sleep, his arms wrapped around his girlfriend, resolving to worry about what came next tomorrow.
Sign up to rate and review this story