Categories > TV > Doctor Who

Fireflies

by holdur 0 reviews

A roll of thunder in the lives of Nine, Rose and Jack.

Category: Doctor Who - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2008-01-23 - Updated: 2008-01-24 - 333 words - Complete

1Insightful
Prompt: thunder

The silence before his first breath roars into his second. Jack is caught in the beating of his own heart, gasping against the blood in his ears. There are voices in his head that sound like Rose and the Doctor. One says live and the other gets lost somewhere behind his eyes and when he tries to catch it he hears bells. There is a rumbling under his feet that sounds like thunder and the universe and he knows that they are leaving him.

After the rush of music in her head, Rose dreams of a deep, rolling thunder amid clouds of blue and black. It growls through her body like it wants to shake her apart, low enough to be felt but not heard. She walks past shadow shapes that she can't see and sounds that she doesn’t understand until the wind sweeps the clouds away and the Doctor stands before her with a crown of lightning around his head. He falls away even as she starts towards him and her cry of dismay is lost on the wind. Another rises before her, insubstantial in the swirling grey, and fades away when she turns to catch it. She has enough time to see that he is curled and tall and laughing and he can't kill—not yet. When she opens her eyes the thunder is the grind of the TARDIS and the Doctor is watching, crackling with lightning.

He doesn’t bother explaining. Already, there are flashes of light across his eyes and he can feel his hands beginning to shake. He fritters away his time, watching it flash away like sparks of light from fireflies on a summer evening. He doesn’t see his life running before him, but he hears a thunder that he has never been able to deny and he knows that Rose hears it too. There is a moment when he wants to say everything, but then it is gone and so is he.
Sign up to rate and review this story