Categories > Original > Romance > The Lighter Side of Love

11. Going Home

by kei_sainter 2 reviews

It's time to end the summer, but as always-- there will be happiness and a few tears.

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Published: 2008-01-27 - Updated: 2008-01-27 - 1103 words - Complete

0Unrated


11. Going Home






The end of summer always comes.

And with it there are good-byes, even when it's the last thing that you want.







YANI

'I don't want to say good-bye to you.'

I wrapped my arms tightly around Diego and took a deep breath, filling my senses of the leather of his jacket.

Two weeks had passed since Matt had left, two weeks of no misunderstandings, no fights and just having a great time.

I don't think I've ever been as happy as this in my life-so it made me sad that I had to go home.



'Then don't say good-bye-say /hasta luego/... and come back soon.'

'What if I can't?' I said, holding back tears, 'there was more than ten years since the last time I was here-I'm sure you're not going to wait for me for another ten.'

'You're right, I won't.'

I punched him on the shoulder but he pulled me back into his arms and kissed me on the forehead.

'If you're not back in three years, I'll go and look for you okay?'

'You promise?'

'I promise.'





RACH



The good-bye/thank-you party was in full swing before finally, Poppo and I had some time alone.

'Red.'

He called me Red! My mind screamed.

'Poppo, how are you?'

'I'm good. You want to take a walk with me?'



I nodded and we walked across the dusty road, not so far from the camp just in case we met trouble.

But enough so that we ended at the spot where I first talked to Poppo, where he'd told me to pick up the bags the first day.

'I'm sorry that things didn't work out between us,' he spoke.

'It's okay... really,' I said, trying to be cool about it.

'I shouldn't have been mad at you for along time.'

'I shouldn't have accused you of something you didn't do, But hey,' I cheered up, 'we'll have lots of time to be friends back home.'



'Actually... I'm not going back to Sydney. My family's moving back to Poland and I'm flying straight there from here.'

'Oh.'

So this was it... the end-before anything ever began.

'But... I wish you well Red. I know you'll be a great nurse.'

And there was barely a kiss a cheek, but foolish me... I cherished every moment of it.





EMI



I looked at Armaud and he looked at me.

My eyebrow rose at him, 'What?'

'I was just thinking,' he began, stretching on the couch at January's place, she was complaining she never got to sit there anymore.

'Uh-oh, that's dangerous.'

'Shut up,' He said, sticking his tongue out at me.



'Well, what's this thought of yours?'

'You shouldn't go back to Melbourne...'

'What?'

'You didn't really get to finish your project, and really-I'm not ready to take over the family empire.'



'What are you suggesting?'

'Stay in Europe-see it with me. If you don't you'll probably end up in jail again, you need me to keep you on the straight and narrow.'

I smiled at this guy who was so weird and wonderful at the same time.

He made me want to run away from him and be around him-at the same time.

Travelling with him... I didn't have to depend on myself all the time, but I wouldn't be hounded.



'I hate it when you start making sense,' I sighed.





CAMIE



'We're going to miss you, you know?' Sergio said softly.

I nodded at him, still sad, still angry that Johnie was so angry that he decided not come take me to the airport.

How dared he be angry?

'You really love him don't you?'

'A little bit.'

'More than a little bit?' Sergio tried to get me to meet his eyes.



'Why can't I like you?'

'It's the Denilson charm-it doesn't wash off. Whoever gets there first wins!'

'But he's not here. He doesn't care.'

Sergio stepped forward and hugged me close,'He cares.'

'How do you know?' I murmured into his jacket.

'He's right behind you-like he wants to kill me.'



I turned around, trying to wipe the tears from my eyes.

Johnie took a couple of steps forward and hugged me.

'I'm sorry I've been a jerk.'

'Yes you have.'

But he wasn't offended, he hugged me harder.



We didn't kiss... but at least-at least Iknew I was important enough for him to come and see me off.

Who knew what would happen in the future?





KEI



'We have to break up.'

Jed looked at me and I looked at him, shocked.

It was hilarious how we thought to say the same thing.



'I know, you're going to meet a whole lot more girls in college and I'll be in the other side of the world.'

'I know, and you're going to be finishing your studies and meeting guys in college.'

He kissed me, hard.

I was happy with Jed, and if things could have stayed like this... it would be great.

But the fact of the matter was that it wouldn't.

Instead of me cheating on him, or him cheating on me-it would be better to end it with happy memories.



'Did you get the gift?' he asked.

One week ago, we'd decided to do an exchange gift before we left.

It was an indication that things were going to end.



'Here...' I handed a gift bag to him.

It was a picture of the two of us together, taken at a photo booth.

He would probably lose it-but I knew Iwould always keep mine.

'Here,' he gave me a wrapped gift.

'A T-shirt?' I asked him, and then read what it said, 'I was with Jed.'



I laughed at him, and hugged him-a summer romance.

It felt good.





The five friends stayed in touch no matter where their dreams took them.

Their memories of their summer were mostly just to themselves, and that's the way it should be.

They were growing up and these would be the start of memories they wouldn't share with each other.

Never would it be forgotten.







A/N:I'm sorry that these last two chapters are a wee bit short. I thought I'd keep it sweet and simple rather than long winded when all that has to be said, can be said. Oh, and they're not edited. Maybe sometime in the future :D
Sign up to rate and review this story