Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > POD-poisoned dreams

Nine

by fruit_addict 0 reviews

Joe's changing

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG - Genres: Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-01-30 - Updated: 2008-01-30 - 691 words - Complete

0Unrated
While they were walking Cal casually asked Dilton, “Do you really think he needed the directions to use a cell phone? You were talking like he’s never seen one before but they seem to have advanced technology. Take the motion censored birds for one.”

“I don’t think you saw the look on his face. He had no clue what I gave him. Trust me, he needed directions. Plus, they may not be motion censored. Joe just assumed that because he knew that we had to stay still. Richard didn’t say anything about motion censors, nor did Gordon’s diagram. Richard did say that they can tell which people to kill so most likely it just has a live feed camera and staying still makes it harder for us to be picked up. We may look like rocks or something,” Dilton explained.

“You know, he has a good point. I didn’t actually see that they were censing movement. I just saw that when one of us got up and moved the guns went off,” Joe said as he walked by them.

“Ok, so we have inside information, fancy gadgets and four extra people but according to the diagram we’re still matched one hundred to one,” Scout pointed out.

“You’re right, which means we’re going to need a plan. Hopefully with some good strategy,” Lara replied.

The group was silent.

“I mean we can’t just walk up to these guys shooting and expect that they won’t shoot back!” Lara said with a tinge of frustration in her voice.

“How do they know who’s pure and who’s not?”

Everybody turned to look at Cal who had his hand on his chin and his other arm folded in thought.

“What?” Alex voiced. “That was kind of random.”

“If Dilton’s right and they don’t have much technology then how do they know who’s pure descendants? They seem like they’re the type of people who shoot first and ask questions later and they couldn’t tell from video, could they?”

“He’s got a good point, eh?” Jake mentioned.

“Maybe the word ‘descendant’ isn’t literal.” Dilton reasoned.

“Like they choose them,” Scout jumped in slightly excited. “The strongest, healthiest, non-threatening to the throne type of people. Or it could be like the holocaust and be based on looks or origin.”

“It’s the ultimate army,” Lara quietly said.

“Well, we’re definitely a threat to the throne,” Alex joked. “They must have known that.”

“Yes, so let’s go,” Joe was now walking ahead, hoping the group would catch up.

“Wait, what about this so called ‘plan’ we should have?” Scout questioned.

Joe turned around, lifted up his hat, ran his fingers through his thick, chestnut hair. “I don’t know. I don’t see how we can do this on our own. We’re going to need more people. There’s probably more like Richard who want to get out of it and people who want to rebel. We’ll just have to find them.” He turned to go but Scout spoke again.

“And how do you suppose we do that?” Scout asked.

Joe whirled around and snapped at Scout. “I don’t know! You’re the one that’s supposed to always be prepared. Why don’t you figure it out?”

Scout opened her mouth to speak but closed it again and just blinked.

Lara, who was walking next to Zora, leaned into her and said, “Joe has never been this way. These dreams must be really wearing on him. And don’t even think about saying… oh, never mind.”

Joe was once again ahead of the group but instead of expecting them to catch up he turned around and yelled, “Come on, let’s get moving! Now!”

Lara stepped toward Joe and said, “Joe, that’s enough. I can understand that you’re upset but you don’t need to take it out on us. Just calm down.”

Joe turned around and walked away, leaving Lara to stand hurt and confused staring at his back. Joe had changed.
Sign up to rate and review this story