Categories > Original > Romance > Vivian

Chapter 4

by Skye 0 reviews

Love Always, S

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-02-02 - Updated: 2008-02-02 - 1770 words

0Unrated
I stomp up the stairs and down the hall to my locker. Just my luck, Dixxie is waiting for me. She has a sucker in her mouth and looks eager for information. I open my locker and pull out my royal blue messenger bag with Cabot Lions written on the side in white thread. I fill it with my Calculus, French, and Health books. I close my locker and start to walk away.

"Um, hi! Dixxie here!," says Dixxie, flagging me to a stop.

"Oh, hi Dixxie. Um, look, I really have to get home," I say, continuing to walk.

"Ok, Vivian. What's up? What did you do that's so bad you can't tell me?," she asks.

"Who says I did anything bad?," I say.

"Ok, so it wasn't bad. Why can't you just tell me what's up with you?," she says.

"I'm sorry Dixxie. I have to go. Just....call me, or something," I say, leaving Dixxie looking part mad, part worried, and part curious. If I wasn't in such a bad mood I would have found her expression funny. But, I was, so I didn't. I head back down the stairs and pass Ian on the way. I can feel his piercing eyes boring into my back as I walk away. I walk out the doors and suck in a breath of surprise. I definitely wasn't expecting it to be so cold out, and it really didn't help that I left my jacket at home. I pull my hands into the sleeves of my shirt, and begin my walk home. You’d think I’d be smart enough to wear a jacket on a 42 degree day, but I guess not. It really sucks that I have to walk home everyday. I would just buy a car and get it over with, but cars cost money. That's something I definitely don't have much of. In fact, I wouldn't even be in school if it weren't for Junee.

I walk as people in their nice warm cars speed by me. I cross my arms in hopes of maybe becoming a little warmer. I walk about two more miles and stop at the park. Normally, I wouldn't stop at the park on a 42 degree day, but I don't feel like going home yet. I know that the moment I walk in the door, I'll realize that Junee isn't there to ask how my day was and I'll fall apart again. I'm not sure how many more times and I can fall apart and be able to be put back together. I sit in the bright red swing in the middle of the park. There's no one here but me. Probably because it's only 42 degrees outside and everyone else in Cabot, Arkansas is smart enough to stay inside where it's warm. Whatever. I like the quiet. It's just what I need.

I swing back and forth on the little red swing until the cold air starts to make my eyes burn and I have to stop. I rest my head on one of the chains, the only thing keeping this swing and me from the ground. I think about Junee, and how she's going to get better, just like Grace said. She has to. For me. She has to get better for me. Suddenly I hear something. I lift my head. I look behind me to see if someone, or something, is coming. I jump forward out of the swing and try to run. Just my luck, I trip and fall, landing right on my face. I think I even screamed a little.

"Um, sorry. I didn't mean to freak you out," says Ian, running a hand through his hair. He looks so hot while doing it that I suddenly forgive him for rejecting me earlier. I must have been so into the thought of Junee getting better that I didn't hear him.

"Oh, it's ok. I'm kinda jumpy anyways," I say. He walks over to me and offers his hand. I take it and he pulls me up. Then he lets go and sits in the swing next to the one I was sitting in moments ago. I follow his action and sit in my swing.

"Well, I saw you sitting here alone, so I thought I'd see if you were ok," he says. "I'm sorry I said no to you earlier, but I really am I busy guy."

"Oh, don't worry about it. If anyone should be sorry, it's me. I shouldn't have smacked your books off the table. I'm not a spoiled brat. Honest," I say, still beyond myself at the fact that I'm actually having a sort of nice conversation with Ian Daniels.

"I know. And I forgive you. I guess," he says, giving me a half smile. I smile back.

"Well, thank God! Who knows what would have happened to me if you hadn't?," I say sarcastically.

"It's cold out, huh?," he says.

"Yeah," I say. "So, I guess the whole helping me with French thing is still out of the question?"

He looks at me. His eyes are so intense that I can't help but look away. "Yeah. I really am sorry though, Vivian. Really," he says.

"I know."

"Look, I gotta go. I'll see you around?," he says.

"Yeah. You'll see me," I say, giving him a weak smile. A shiver ripples through my spine and I rub my arms for warmth.

"You wanna ride? It's a little cold to be walking home, don't you think?," he asks.

"No. Well, yes, it's cold. But no, I don't wanna ride. I just wanna be alone for awhile. Thanks though," I say.

"Alright. Well, at least take this," he says, pulling off his jacket and draping it around my shoulders, "for warmth."

The jacket is extremely warm and smells like Joop! cologne. It takes everything I've got to protest, but I do. "But won't you get cold?," I ask.

"I've got a car remember? Last time I checked, the heater worked," he says, flashing me yet another gorgeous smile.

"Well, thanks," I say as he walks to his car.

"See you later, Vivian. Stay warm," he says before getting in his car and driving away. He honks as he drives by and I wave. I sit there until my hands turn blue from the cold. I finish my walk home and put them under some water to warm them up. I look at the phone and the number I've taped next to it. I hesitate before deciding to dial it. It rings once.....twice......three times. No one answers. I put the phone down and pull out a phone book. I look up the number for Junee's hospital and dial it. It only takes one ring from someone to answer.

“Cabot hospital, how can I assist you?”, asks a very cheerful lady.

“I was just wondering if you could send someone up to room 387 to check on Junee. I just called her room, but no one answered,” I say.

“I’m sure she’s fine. She’s probably just sleeping. Ivies can make people very tired, you know,” she says in the cheerful voice of hers. I find it hard to see how someone can be so cheerful when they’re surrounded by deathly ill people.

“Can you just send someone up anyway? I’m really worried about her. Please?”, I ask.

“I’ll send someone up, but I’m sure she’s just sleeping. You can come check on her yourself if you’d like. You’ve still got 3 hours till visiting hours are over”, she says.

“Ok, thanks! That’s all I wanted. Bye”, I say, hanging up the phone. I walk up the stairs to my bedroom and pull my heavy winter coat out of my closet and change into a pair of jeans instead of my skirt. I put on my snow boots, and walk out the door. I like that Cabot is a little town, and it doesn’t take more than an hour on foot to get from one side of the town to the other. In about 25 minutes, I’m walking through the doors of Cabot hospital.

“Can I help you?”, asks the cheerful lady at the front desk.

“No, I’m going upstairs”, I say, walking past her. I get on the elevator and go up to the third floor. I walk up the lady at the front desk of the third floor. “My name is Vivian Hastings. I’m here to see Junee”, I say.

“Go ahead”, she says politely, writing my name down on the visitor list. I thank her and walk down to room 387. I slowly open the door and walk in. “Junee?”, I whisper. She doesn’t answer. I walk up to her. “Junee? Junee, I’m here. It’s me, Vivian”, I say. She doesn’t answer. She doesn’t move. I pull up a chair and sit next to her. I hold her hand and continue to talk to her, even though she doesn’t respond. “I told Mrs. Fairwell about you today. She’s really worried”, I say, wishing she would respond to me.

“I made a new friend today. Her name is Grace. You know that boy I always talk about? Ian? She’s his little sister. She’s really sweet. She told me all about her grandma. She was sick just like you. She got better. Just like you’re going to. You’re going to get better Junee. You have to,” I say. I pause, waiting for her to respond, but she doesn’t. “Please talk to me Junee! Please wake up! I need you Junee! Please! Talk to me!”, I scream, tears pouring down my cheeks. I can’t stand to see her like that. Just lying there as the sickness takes over her body, helpless. I get out of the chair and run down the hall, letting the tears fall as they wish. I run past the lady at the front desk, not even bothering to sign out.

“Vivian!,” someone shouts behind me. I would have thought it was the lady at the front desk yelling for me to sign out, but the voice was too small. I turn around and see Grace staring at me from down the hall.

“Grace? What are you doing here? Did something happen to you?”, I ask. She walks over to me.

“Every thing is fine. I’m not hurt. I was actually here to see someone”, she says.

“Who?”

“I wanted to see Junee”, she says looking up at me.
Sign up to rate and review this story