Harry maked a birthday wish. Dumbles gets spanked and forms a plot. Harry works out,meets a hero, worries some purebloods, gets a cool toy, and gets his wish. Dumbles fumbles.
(#) DarkHercules 2008-02-03 04:57:09 AMYa know, I really like your fic, but I really do have one main gripe. I fully understand that Harry loves Tony, I get it. Hell, I can even empathize a little, my dad ain't my dad do to biology.He is 'cause he wanted to be. Even gave me his name. Thing is, Harry's parents died to protect him, & he acts like he doesn't care. I don't klnow if this is a plot device saying he really doesn't know or not, but if I had a friend who acted as disrespectful to their memory as he SEEMS to, I won't lie, I'd beat the shit oput of him. Now, I don't normally cuss in reviews, but this falls, in my mind, into one of the few things I don't forgive. Betrayal. When he acts like that, it feels to my like he's betraying their memory. They faced down what could be considered as a demon in human skin to try to protect him. They both sacrificed themselves so that he could live, & he acts like he doesn't give a damn. I'm sorry, like I said maybe he doesn't really know, but acting based on what I've seen, yes, I'd kick the shit out of him till he showed some proper respect for people who gave their all for him. Sorry about the rant, but that's just how I feel. Thank for your time. Hope you reply.
Author's response- Harry's been told his parents died to protect him, but he's also been told a lot of other things about that night that make absolutely no sense and that no one survived to tell the tale of. Let's try this out:
Michael and Amy Terwillicer died for you.
You've never heard of them before, but I just told you they died for you. Mourning them yet?
- Let me be clear on Harry's relationship with the Potters. He doesn't remember them. His only memories of being Harry Potter are not pleasant ones. James and Lilly Potter are just names to him, he has no emotional investment in them. They gave him life, but they are not his parents.
- Did they give their all for him? If so, how does he know? What if the attack actually had nothing to do with him, but was simply because James and Lilly ticked off the wron Dark Lord? How could you tell the difference? Because the guy who stuck him with the Dursleys told him (and you) so?
- Dear Dumbledumb
When circumstances leave your plan in tatters, it is wise to make a new plan to achieve your goal. Trying to bend circumstances to meet the previous plan always fails, and often backfires.
Good luck finding employment at your age. Wizarding Britain is unlikely to have age discrimination laws.
Author's response- Oh he's not done, yet. Though Minerva might want to start polishing up her resume...
- I like the way Harry manages to stand up to Dumbledore. Thank goodness for the suit - otherwise I'm sure that AD would have tried to influence him mentally.
I would like to know how Snape is treating the kids now.
Harry probably has been informed about all that Stark could find out about the Potters. Tony would have done a full background check on Harry. I wonder who has the keys to Harry's vault?
Author's response- The suit isn't the source of Harry's mental defenses. He was taught, and was pretty good at it.
- Snape scenes coming up in the new year, he's still an ass, but Harry isn't the special focus of his ire.
- I would assume that Dumbles has the keys to Harry's vault, which isn't the vast fortune that fanon normally has available to him, enough for his education and setting up his household after finishing school, In short a nice chunk of change but not a fortune.
- I'm sure Tony did do a full BI on the Potters, but Harry doesn't really care. His memories of being 'Harry Potter' are not pleasant ones, as far as he's concerned Tony saved him from that. Harry doesn't believe the commonly held beliefs as to what happened at Godrick's Hallow all those years ago. When Hagrid gives harry the photo album this christmas he will find the pictures to be interesting, showing what might have been if things had worked out differently, but Harry won't morn for the Potters very long, he has a family he loves.
- Dumbledore is proving to be intransigent and incapable of recognising the changed circumstances in Harry's life. He seems to think that he can still turn Harry into his dutiful little pawn and that just isn't going to happen. If he does not come to understand that his plan for Harry is ruin he will end up ruing the day he implored Harry to fulfill his destiny.
It seems Snape has gotten a clue that the Harry that exists isn't what he expected. It is time for Dumbles to realise the same.
- Another interesting chapter. I'm particularly enjoying the flashbacks. Harry was, at the time of his adoption, pretty badly damaged. However, it seems that Tony has cured a lot of that damage (and, at the same time, had quite a bit of his damage healed too). Dumbledore has yet to realise that Harry now has self-esteem and self-confidence and is therefore most assuredly not the manipulable pawn that he planned to have.
It is looking like Dumbledore is pretty slow on his feet when improvisation and re-thinking strategy is needed. He'd better wise up or Lucius is not going to need the excuse of the Beast of Slytherin going on a rampage to get rid of him. Amelia may do the job instead.
I wonder if Harry will still get his Christmas Present this year? I have this mental image of Tony plus all of Stark International's research people trying to work out how the Perevel/Potter Invisibility Cloak works.
I'm looking forward to the consequences as time moves on of Harry's different nature and better skill level (especially next year, with the opening of the Chamber). I also wonder if a certain isolated dreamy Ravenclaw girl is going to find that she has a knight in shining technomagical armour.
Author's response- It's a balancing act. The reviews with the last chapter told me how much they liked the flashbacks, this one I've gotten 9 reviews (so far) telling me to stop using them, with yours being the only one in support... What to do...
- One thing that bothered me about canon was the way that the Aurors seemed to completely ignore everything that happened at Hogwarts...
- Truefully I hadn't really given the cloak much thought, since invisibility isn't all that rare in the Marvel Universe. I was planning to integrate some stealth/camouflage capabilities to the next generation Techsuit.
- The Chamber will still open, but that's about the only similarity to the original story.
- Well, if you're pollin g -- keep the flash back! I at least enjoy them.
If Dumbles tries to keep Harry in the castle over Christmas now, it would be really fun for Thor to visit for the solstice. . . .
Author's response- That seems to be the prevalent view.
- Thor will be visiting in May...
- Very good chapter i really enjoy your writing it is very entertaining.Ifor one really like the flashbacks as they show us how harry has become the person he is now in this story as opposed to canon harry besides it allows you to put tony, pepper rhodey, etc. in the story which is great.Man dumbles nedds to change his name to bumbledore could he have handledanything with less tact and class and he excuse harry of being rude go figure. Anyway i really enjoyed your story more soon please.