Categories > Games > Sonic the Hedgehog > One week

Day one

by Aura_Starfire 0 reviews

A lot can happen in a week, as the freedom fighters find out when Robotnik unleashes an old, yet new weapon. Day one - Aura's first mission proves to be anything but ordinary and soon Amy Rose'...

Category: Sonic the Hedgehog - Rating: G - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Amy Rose, Metal Sonic, Sonic - Published: 2006-02-02 - Updated: 2006-02-02 - 8142 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: Sonic is (c) Sega; all related characters are (c) either to Sega or Fleetway. Shelly and her family are (c) Zachary Moonlight, a good friend of mine who asked if I could include Shelly in a story. I hope you like it.

Authors note: This was originally posted on the 'net as 'It isn't over yet' about a year and a half ago. Changes to my storyline meant some things in the original didn't work plus there were parts that I wasn't happy with. The general flow of the story however remains fairly unchanged. (See 'Full Circle' for an explanation of what happened when Aura returned to Mobius. This takes place around a month afterwards)




__________________________________________________________________________________________

One week
- 'It isn't over yet' -

__________________________________________________________________________________________


"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. And somewhere else the tea's getting cold! Come on, Ace -- we've got work to do!"

The seventh Doctor


__________________________________________________________________________________________

Midnight, day one.
__________________________________________________________________________________________



Unable to sleep, Aura was sitting on the roof.

Never really bothered by heights, here she felt comfortable and safe. Anything that had the slightest chance of getting to her would be in her vision before coming near. If it was friendly, she had nothing to fear; if it wasn't, it could be fried with a well-placed lightning bolt. Years of travelling dimensions had honed this desire to be safe. Her appearance, inability to speak the language, both had meant a need to defend herself, and even where she was accepted, she was still a stranger, not native, and was still defensive. Being able to speak English helped, though it didn't solve all her problems, but it was apparently very common through and over dimensions she had travelled in.

They were indeed full of both similarity and diversity.

Spock had taught her that, other people had left impressions, and Anthony had helped her to decide to come back. It made her glad she had taken the journey, despite trials and hardships, she had made friends and learned many things. The excitement of being back helped for the first few weeks, and when the badniks had appeared - it had been a month, Sonic told her, since Chaos, with no movement from Robotnik - she began to help.

But there was still that nagging thought in the back of her mind - had she made the right decision to come back?

Despite her initial optimism, Aura just wasn't sure anymore. The nightmares of the last few weeks, where her brother's death was played out slowly, the fact that she didn't feel she was making any difference, and her own insecurities meant that she just didn't know anymore.

Hearing something, she looked down.

Sonic was leaving the building, Amy Rose behind him, and she called down to them.

They waited as she climbed down the ladder leading down the side of the building, and wrapped her coat around her. Cold winds were blowing hard now, and Amy was also clad in a coat to protect against the weather. Sonic, stubborn as ever, wore nothing save for his sneakers and gloves, but gave her a grin anyway.

"More badnik attacks?" Aura questioned as they stood, Amy handing her a small wrist communicator and adjusting her own. Aura didn't wear any gloves. She had no real need to, and they obstructed her powers at any rate. So if she had need to, they would be fingerless, to stop her abilities being limited.

Sonic nodded "Chemical plant zone, few miles away" he paused, giving her a quick glance over, "Thought you'd be asleep"

"That's been deserted for a while, hasn't it?" Aura commented, choosing to ignore his last statement, instead drawing on what she could remember from pouring over records of the last four years, years she had missed and were needed to know about.

Nodding again, Sonic continued.

"Yeah, group of people are trying to make it safe again, but all that mega mucks gonna make it hard" he mused, scratching one ear absently, then kneeling to adjust the clasp on his sneakers. He then straightened up and offered them both his hands. "It's got one of those sensors Tekno and Porker whipped up a while back, can't put em anywhere else, the signal wouldn't be good enough, and still isn't great there either, but it looks like badniks..."

He trailed off, there had been a shadowy figure as well, but didn't know what it was.

Aura and Amy took his hands and exchanged a look, both had been on one of these trips before, and it usually ended with getting very disorientated and nauseous. Unfortunately, there were no sickness bags for this trip. Unconsciously taking a deep breath each, Amy and Aura clasped his hand tightly as Sonic began to run, leaving a trail of fire across the landscape



___________



"I don't think I'll ever get used to that..." Aura vowed, gagging and trying hard not to throw up. Amy, who was more experienced in being taken on one of Sonic's runs, was doing slightly better, though with a green tinge to her fur.

Sonic just looked on with a amused smile as they recovered before turning to the factory "Ok, the signal came from around here somewhere..." he told them "So we'll split up and try and find em, it's like Robotnik's trying to trick us, so be on your guard"

"Got it" both echoed, and they parted. Sonic heading to the left, whilst Amy went for the right.

Aura headed into the factory itself, and was immediately plunged into darkness, the kind that made you want to press your body against something, just so that you knew all around you wasn't just some dark void or an endless pit with no bottom.

Unfurling her hands, which at the point, she hadn't even noticed had been clenched tightly, she then let a small wave of power flow through them so she had enough to see by.

One ear twitched, and she felt nervous.

Someone was here.

It could be Amy or Sonic, but somehow she didn't think it was; neither had come with her into the factory, and the door had creaked so much when she opened it, she would have heard them if they had.

Whoever it was had already been in here.

If it was a badnik, a quick bolt of energy and it would break and whoever was inside it would be free.

She relaxed on this realization, yes, it was a badnik and she was silly for getting so scared over something that small. Sonic and the others had dealt with badniks before, and he had been even younger than she was now, so why was there anything to worry about? Besides, if it was anything bigger, she could teleport...of course, that depended on having time to react, but she had done it before.

Still...there was something...Aura didn't know what, but it was there, keeping her tensed and ready, as it did every time she was faced with something threatening or unknown. Though a good portion of her travelling had been friendly and enjoyable, there had still been those times when her powers came in useful, and it instilled in her an instinctive need to be ready.

Another sound, this time of slight hissing, as if air were being let from a balloon, and she was alert again.

But no amount of preperation would have her ready for what then happened as a dark shape suddenly barreled out of a corner in the darkness, and stopped mere inches from her face.

It shot out a hand.

With a claw attached.

A metal claw.

Mettalix...

It was the only thing running through her mind, a mantra ever repeating over and over and Aura felt her blood freeze in her veins.

No...not again...

Her thoughts were the only thing she could hear and the robot made no sound, fear kept her from crying out, with a half choked sob catching in her throat as she stood, frozen to where she was standing.

This wasn't fair in any way possible, nothing could be worse than this.

The mettalix stared at her, the red iris of it's robotic eye seeming to inch into her very soul, and it hummed.

"Interesting...you are scared" it murmured, fixing her with a gaze.

Her breath caught. "You...you can speak..."

"Indeed" it smirked, bringing one clawed hand up to her face, then running one claw down her cheek, hard enough to draw blood, a trickle making it's way down, a drop landing on the floor.

"But you don't...you didn't speak then..." Aura babbled incoherently, feet still seeming stuck to the floor "and you don't sound like a Mettalix..."

"Mettalix was a fool, I am the next level" the robot said in triumph "Where they failed, I shall succeed"

Aura paled 'n...next level....' "You're not a Mettalix?" she asked, voice shaking, which seemed to amuse the robot even more. Sonic had told her of the Mettalix, she had encountered them first hand, and the tone of voice from this seemed nothing like what she had been told about. It was more mobian...deep and full, with something in each word that seemed to show the depth of the evil lurking inside it, but with the slightest trace that showed it was artificial.

"I am MM2, Mettalix Mark Two, but you shall know me as Metal Sonic" it finally said, taking the claw from where it now rested on her throat, bobbing as she swallowed nervously.

"And I shall destroy you"


___________



Sonic found nothing on his sweep of the zone, not even a badnik, or the remains of one. It was strange, and only added to the unnerving feeling he had since the strange attacks had begun.

"This is weird..." he muttered as Amy ran around the corner. By the look on her face she had evidently not expected to see him, but looked happy none the less.

Amy shook her head "Not even a trace..." she echoed Sonic's earlier sentiment "...weird."

As much as she didn't like to admit it, this place gave her the creeps, and she felt safe with him. The slight blush that covered her cheeks was hidden by the darkness, and the still present pollution from the abandoned factories ensured that no matter how many minutes they stared up, no stars would appear.

"Better head off then..." Sonic yawned in spite of his efforts "This always seems to happen at night" he murmured, pressing a button on his communicator.


___________



My communicator... Aura froze as the beeping sounded.

Metal Sonic scowled "Friends...trying to save you no doubt" he lunged forward, ripping the device off her wrist, making Aura wince as the claws slashed, and threw it upon the ground. "They will be too late to do anything" he smirked, bringing an arm up, energy lacing from deep down in the core of the laser "I have been upgraded from my predecessors, as you will find out"

Sonic...


___________



"Something's wrong..." Sonic muttered as the signal died away with a long, drawn out, high pitched beep. He grabbed Amy's hand without saying anything, and before she could stop him, took off as fast as he could go.

"I knew something wasn't right here..." Sonic yelled as they ran.

He headed towards the factory, and sparks leapt from his sneakers against the ground as he came to a halt. Amy looked around, but neither could hear anything, and the silence seemed to envelop them in a cloud. She shivered from the unnerving feeling, as Sonic headed to the door, but it was dead bolted.

"Stand back Amy!"

When she had done so, he curled into a ball and sent himself at the door. As he impacted with it, a slight shudder shook it's frame, but nothing seemed to happen. Sonic growled, and tried again. This time, the door shifted slightly, but still didn't open.

"Damn!" Sonic muttered, unfurling and rubbing his head "It's dead bolted...and whatever it's made of I can't cut through..."

Amy nodded "Why would it be locked...would Aura have done it?"

"Why would she?" Sonic pointed out "No...something's definatly going on in there! he launched himself at the door again, making it give a few more inches "If I hit it enough times...it should open...I just hope we're in time"


___________



As the first shudder was heard, Aura's ears twitched and Metal Sonic turned his head to where the door would be. His optical sensors were made to function even in small traces of light, and even if they could not see it, his audio sensors could tell where it was coming from.

"It seems your friends are trying to save you" he chuckled, then in one swift motion sent a charge from his arm straight at Aura. At the close range, she couldn't get out of the way completely, and her fear made that even harder. At the last second she managed to move, but cried in pain as it hit her right arm, burning it with an electromagnetic charge.

As one went to cradle the other, Metal Sonic shot out with his arm, and claws wrapped around her neck, digging in so that her breathing was obstructed. A drop of blood from the scratches on her cheek dripped onto him, and he regarded this with an amused look.

"You flesh creatures...so fragile...even the smallest thing!" he uttered, squeezing tighter, and making her choke out. Then he released it, and Aura sucked in much needed oxygen "And you can die..."

Another shudder, and the door was shifted so a ray of moonlight came in through a crack.

"Perhaps I shall have to destroy them as well, though he did want the hedgehog alive" Metal Sonic turned to the door again "But he did say if the opportunity arose..."

"Y...You won't beat him"

"Foolish girl, I am Metal Sonic, I am the ultimate robot"

Aura said nothing.


___________



"Once....MORE!" Sonic cried, his body beginning to ache from throwing itself so many times. His shoulder in particular, would most likely sport a very prominent bruise come morning, but he didn't care. But as he hit the door again, something began to give and his face split into a grin. "This is more like it!" One last throw at the doors, and they flew open, crashing against each wall they hit. The light from the moon flooded into the factory, and as he and Amy ran inside, they saw it.

In the middle of the room was a robot. At first glance they thought he was a Mettalix, but subtle changes did not seem to support that theory and it's hand was grasped around Aura's throat, the other aimed at her, energy lacing inside of it.

"Let her go!" Sonic shouted "Whatever you are!"

"I am Metal Sonic, come any closer, and she will not survive" the robot warned.

Sonic bristled, but didn't move, he knew the robot would be able to fire before he would even get close, and that feeling of helplessness made him angry.

He hated being helpless.

But while Metal Sonic had his head turned, Aura struck out with her leg, catching the robot unawares. While it did no damage, it was enough to set off his balance, and drop her. Holding her arm, where flashes of pain went through it constantly, she watched Metal Sonic through fear filled eyes.

"Insolent child..." he hissed, raising his arm again.

With this chance, Sonic sprinted across the room faster than the eye could see, becoming nothing more than a blur of blue, and plowed straight for the robot. But Metal Sonic had been ready for him, and swung his arm from Aura to him, catching Sonic in the stomach, and flinging him into a pile of boxes by the wall. Sonic slumped to the ground, groaning and dazed.

"Pitiful..." Metal Sonic spat "I had been told you would be a challenge..." he turned back to Aura. "I still have you though my dear, and I assure you this will be quick" he chuckled "Painful, yes...but quick"

Aura couldn't move, she seemed to be made of cement, and the floor of glue. Her eyes were fixed on the nightmarish figure of the robot looming over her, and a yellow glow lit the inside of his laser.

She whimpered.

The energy continued to build.

Then, somebody began to run.

It's probably for the best... she mused disdainfully I don't have anyone left who needs me...I'm just taking up space...

"What!"

Aura flashed her eyes open, and a shadow loomed over her. With her breath suddenly catching in her throat, it seemed like deja-vu, and all at once she was eight years old again.

But this wasn't Kharis.

"Don't you even try hurting her!" Amy ground out, eyes narrowed and teeth gritted. She stood with her arms outstretched from each side of her body.

"Fine"

Amy looked confused "What did you say?"

"I will not hurt her" Metal Sonic answered dryly, as if talking to a child.

"...Amy" Aura managed to get out, something wasn't right.

"You will?"

"Indeed" Metal Sonic nodded, turning to go. Amy sighed in relief, then choked as a hand wrapped around her neck.

"I did not say I would not hurt you however!" Metal Sonic laughed, then picked her off the floor, and threw her across the room, sending Amy straight into a wall, her body slamming against it, a crack audibly heard, then she fell to the floor next to some obsolete machinery. Metal Sonic then turned back to Aura, brought one claw underneath her chin, and...

"I will be back" he murmured "When you are not as much of a coward" he said "I prefer a real battle, not this"

Aura could only watch as he rose into the air, thrusters in his back lighting up, then crashed through a window at least twenty feet up, raining shards of glass over her, stinging her fur,
and she shielded her eyes.

He was gone.

She sighed in relief, then dropped to the ground, exhaustion seeping into every single bone in her body. All she wanted to do now was curl up and sleep, fear and terror had zapped all but the last of her strength, and it felt like absolute zero inside, the wind whipping about her small frame and making her shiver.

Then, with a flash, she remembered...what had happened to...

"Amy!"

Sonic was knelt beside the still form of the comatose pink hedgehog, one hand frantically fumbling around her neck, then it was still, finger pressed against it, and a second later he let out a shuddering, but happy, sigh.

"She's alive" he murmured.

Aura stood shakily, slowly crossing the floor, till she was just meters from them, not going any further, afraid and confused.

"S...Sonic...I..I...I'm..." she stuttered, and he turned. Where she had expected to see anger, she didn't, but it made her feel worse, not better.

"We need to get her to hospital" he said softly "she hit the wall pretty hard...her head..."

Aura looked, a thin cut at least three inches long could be seen on Amy, running near her ear. Blood was slowly dripping from it, and didn't seem to be stopping. Feeling sick, and angry at herself, all she could do was stare.

This was her fault.

"I..I'm sorry" Aura cried, but Sonic waved his arm at her

"It's ok, but we need to get her there quickly"

Aura nodded, he was probably shocked, and would get angry later.

"I can't risk moving her though..." he said "and it'd take too long for an ambulance to get here...I need your help"

Nodding frantically, tears running down her cheeks, Aura felt confused "Anything...but...what?"

"Can you teleport us to the hospital in Emerald Hill?" Sonic asked, one hand still on Amy, the other absently scratching his ear.

Aura nodded, but her eyes narrowed slightly "I...I can get myself and Amy there...but I don't know what would happen if I took you as well..." It would strain her to take somebody else, especially without extra power, but it could be done. More, and she would endanger herself and her passengers. As her mind wandered, the last thing Metal Sonic had said to her was still echoing in her mind.

"I will be back when you are not as much of a coward"

Coward...

With a sick feeling, she realised that summed her up completely. She had run away from Mobius because she was a coward, used her powers as an excuse not to go back because she was a coward, blamed herself for Kharis' death because she was a coward... With these thoughts her self-esteem began falling.

...Aura!"

She snapped alert "...s...sorry!"

"It's okay" Sonic assured her "But let's get it done quickly"

Aura nodded, and stepped forward "You'll have to let go Sonic, I might take you with me if you keep holding her hand"

Sonic took it away, a slight blush colouring his cheeks "Ok"

To keep herself calm, she started talking "I just need to concentrate on her when I do this...it's like..." she thought for a second "like life-force...everyone's is different, I just have to make sure I keep it in mind constantly...that's why it's more difficult with another person, I don't need to remember my own energy, but another person means more concentration and exertion...this is hard enough...without extra energy anybody else could be fatal"

"I'll catch up with you anyway" Sonic nodded, and Aura realised he was now standing.

She nodded, expression not changing, and placed her hand on Amy's arm. Physical contact was always necessary, even in the few times she had done this. The only time she had done it without, was with Spock, and that was probably the meld he had performed connecting them in some way. Closing her eyes, Aura concentrated on her hand and the energy fluctuating through, then it was as if she could 'sense' Amy. Sonic was right, she seemed weaker.

However she did this, was impossible to put into words, but she pushed all other thoughts out of her mind, keeping only two.

Emerald Hill hospital, and Amy.

Then, she disappeared.

Sonic gazed silently for some seconds at the space where they had been, before turning on it, walking silently out of the factory, and saw the moon, full and bright.

He hoped Amy would see it again.

At the thought of her, lying there, he felt a pricking sensation at the corner of his eyes, and brushed them, a tear staining his glove.

Then Sonic took off.


__________________________________________________________________________________________

1am, day one.
__________________________________________________________________________________________



"Here, I know you don't like coffee, so I got you this"

Aura jerked her head up at the sudden voice in her ear, realising she had fallen asleep again, and looked up to see Sonic holding two cups. One was his, and he handed her the other, she looked in and took a long drink of the cool water. It slid down her throat and refreshed her, but she still felt exhausted and the dull throbbing of her arm didn't help.

"How is Amy?" she asked softly.

Sonic sighed, sat down and shrugged his shoulders, "They said it's pretty serious, something about a hairline fracture from hitting the wall..." his voice became more muted "...they say the next forty eight hours are critical"

Aura felt her heart drop and felt ill.

This was her fault.

When she had arrived at the hospital, they had taken Amy away immediately, and Aura had made to go after her, but stopped, unsure of what she should do. Her mind was so confused, could she still count herself a freedom fighter, somebody was now risking their life because of her. In a daze from the events of the last hour, Aura had protested little when her own injuries were treated, her mind was elsewhere, lost in the past.

"I called the others" Sonic said, breaking the silence "If this Metal Sonic means business, they have to stay and protect the base, especially since Robotnik knows where we are...might be a good idea to move if this gets out of hand and..."

"Why don't you blame me..." Aura suddenly interrupted, unable to stay silent any longer.

"What?" Sonic was shocked by this outburst "Blame you for what?"

"Amy" Aura murmured "She might die because of me...because I was too scared"

"I don't blame you"

"Why not!" Aura shouted, pushing her body off the chair, the noise echoing along the corridor. "If I hadn't been so scared, I could've moved, she wouldn't have gone in front of me, and she'd be fine..." she paused, choking back a sob "Kharis died because I was too scared, and someone else will now, you should be shouting at me...I'm a COWARD!"

"NO!" Sonic growled, standing up and towering over her "You are not a coward...and you said you'd stopped blaming yourself for his death a long time ago!"

"I am!" Aura cried, tears running down her cheeks "I should have known this would happen, and I should have moved!"

Sonic held out a hand for her. But Aura just slapped it away and stood, taking a few steps away, grasping the paper cup she held so tightly that it broke down the sides, liquid spilling over her hand and onto the floor.

"And I never should have come back...I thought I could be useful...but I was wrong...I was just trying to cover up my failures..." her voice was muted.

"Aura...no..." Sonic took a step towards her, but she looked up at him, expression forelorn and resigned.

"Don't worry...I'm not going to burden you and the others any longer...not while I'm still a failure"

Sonic opened his mouth to dissuade her, but before he could say anything, she had disappeared in a small flash of light. He was left standing alone, with the cup she had been holding dropping from Aura's hand just as she vanished and falling to the floor. There was nobody else in the corridor since it was still early in the morning. Only life-threatening cases would come in now.

Like Amy.

Sonic rubbed his head, and flopped down into the chair.

After Aura had told him about her brother's death, he had expected an outburst like this for some time. She tended to bottle things up, and all those years...it had to happen sometime. Maybe she didn't blame herself, but considering what had just happened, it was inevitable, especially with her return to Mobius, joining the freedom fighters...all that upheaval in such a short time had to be stressful. He didn't blame her for Amy being injured, it was an accident, and Aura probably knew it wasn't her fault either - it was just the heat of the moment.

To Sonic, it reminded him eerily of the battle with Chaos and Johnny's death. He had run away, briefly, but returned because he was needed. That kept him going, and when it had all been over, he left again. But he ended up in trouble, and it was only because of his friends that he made it out, both of the cavern and his depression. He had come close to death then, but it had taught him that Johnny's death was not his fault.

But Sonic didn't know if he would be able to tolerate it.

He knew what had happened the day Kharis had died, she had confided it to him shortly after she had joined, and he knew how hard that was for her. Having had to go through not only losing him, but her parents as well, then being alone for over ten years couldn't do much good to a person. Even as little as he did know her, he knew Aura hated making her own problems known, and feared losing someone else.

Hated getting close.

Today, it must have felt like it was happening all over again, but he still hated the fact that she had run away. Didn't all that time teach her running away wasn't the answer. When she came back, he would make sure to do something to try and hammer that thought in as deep as possible.

Sonic paused, a sobering thought coming through.

If, she came back.


__________________________________________________________________________________________

/Alternate dimension/
1am, day one.
__________________________________________________________________________________________



Aura felt like crying, all her rational thought had been replaced by self-loathing as she wandered the empty street. All those years on her own, and she thought she could just come back, and have a normal life? Even if she could, now she deserved nothing of the kind. Kharis had died because she was a coward, and now Amy might die as well. Kharis could be explained perhaps because she was so young, being scared was excusable, but how could she say the same for Amy. Then she had been an adult, with powers to defend herself, and all she had done was freeze...she should have been able to do something!

Could have, but hadn't.

Instead, it had been just like then, frozen in fear as those eyes, the same shade of red, glared at her, as it made ready to do to her what Kharis had prevented the last one from doing over ten years before. Then, in a tortured similarity, Amy had been in front of her. Had she squeezed her eyes tight enough, letting no more than a sliver of light through, it could have been Kharis standing there.

And then the Mettalix...no, Metal Sonic, she reminded herself, had flung the hedgehog into the wall and watched with a sense of sick satisfaction as she had slid to the floor, the open gash on her head bleeding openly.

Just like her brother, Amy's death would be forever engraved in her mind. The thought that she could survive didn't even register in her thoughts. At any rate, Aura knew she didn't want to go back ever again, she had gone back once, thinking she could help, and had failed.

Her feet went in front of each other as she stumbled down the street, half fatigue, half depression. Her arm had begun to bleed through the bandage. She would need medical attention some time soon, but right now it wasn't bothering her enough, so she didn't want to look, and her thoughts were elsewhere.

This time, she would have to start from scratch.

When she was eight - in a move which had often regretted - Aura had grabbed her backpack on hearing her brother shout. When he had shouted for her to run, the bag had weighed her down, but it had also been a blessing. For when she had left it had been a lifeline. Lost in a strange world, the food, clothing, and small medical kit within her pack had helped Aura to survive, especially in the times when she could not communicate with anyone. After then it was easier, but the familiar possessions continued to be a comfort.

This time, all she had were the clothes on her, a communicator, which would not work here, and a candy bar. She took a bite from it. It seemed tasteless, and went down in a large lump as she swallowed.

/Psceww.../

Aura coughed as the noise shocked her, holding her hand to her mouth, trying to get the last bite down her throat, then she looked around, trying to determine where the noise had originated.

/Pscheww.../

There it had been again, and she ran in the direction that she thought it had come from. Again it sounded twice, then three times in quick succession, before a high pitched scream echoed in the air, and became silent again.

When she heard it, Aura was pushed up against a wall, and it had come from less than a hundred feet away. Whoever it was, or whatever was happening, part of her wanted to walk away, pretend it wasn't happening, and tell herself that she was too useless to help anyway. Another part though told Aura she had to at least try to help. She got to the edge of the wall, peered around and saw a struggling figure held by something, or someone, three times their size. To Aura, it was closer to twice her height, but still proved intimating.

The surprise was that the robot was one she knew, being the design of a Trooper, a robotic construct built by Robotnik. These were different from the badniks, in that they did not need an organic battery, a Mobian, to be placed inside. She hadn't been aiming for anywhere in particular, but it had been a dimensional teleport.

The odds of teleporting to another Mobius were probably very high, but from what she could see, it had happened.

Grasped by the metal fist tight enough to prevent escape was a small fox like herself. In the darkness, Aura could not make out any specific details, but knew from what she could see that it was a child, maybe six or seven years old. She frowned as the trooper, in a deep emotionless voice, droned on about taking the 'subject' into custody for being caught outside designated hours.

The fist closed in more, and it's prey yelped in pain.

"Lemmie go!"

This was enough to tempt Aura from her hiding place, though she didn't dare risk trying to aim a bolt at the trooper. But if she could get it to let go...

Aura stepped out "Hey!" She yelled out, making the robot turn around "Stop picking on her!" It wasn't the most convincing argument, but it did cause the object of her sights to take a step towards her.

But it still kept a hold on it's prisoner.

'Okay...' Aura pondered 'I didn't get it to let go...so that rules out a projectile attack...but maybe if I can get up close enough...'

Feeling dizzy suddenly, she was forced to close her eyes to try to gain her equilibrium again. Swiped by her arm before she could do anything, Aura let out a yell of pain when it grabbed her injured arm. Breathing deeply, until the pain was bearable, Aura opened her eyes to see the trooper watching her. If it had been sentient, she would have guessed it's expression would have been that of humour, catching it's prey unaware.

'YOU ARE OUT OF DOORS OUTSIDE SPECIFIED TIMES ACCORDING TO THE LAWS SET DOWN BY IVO. BY HIS ORDERS, ALL THOSE CAUGHT OUTSIDE OF HOURS ARE TO BE TAKEN AND PUT INTO LABOUR OR INSIDE BADNIK SHELLS FOR COMBAT USE" it droned in a deep robotic voice.

"Yeah, sure" Aura muttered "As if I'm going to let you make me into a slave" she glanced to the other side, where the child was trembling, tears running down it's face.

"I don't wanna be a slave...or a badnik" it sobbed "I want mommy and daddy..."

"Don't worry" Aura said "I won't let him do that..."

By now, the trooper obviously thought there would be no more interruptions, and started to walk. It lifted both arms, so Aura and the other prisoner, were hoisted up with a lurch, so that their feet did not touch the ground. Taking long steady strides, it would now take them back to the central plant, where it would contact Ivo, and get the orders for both prisoners. Then it would be sent out again, to see who else would be breaking the curfew.

As it continued on towards wherever they were being taken, Aura glanced around for anything she could get her hands on. A small wire, almost unnoticeable, was hanging from the robot hand nearest to her. Stretching across as much as she could, without attracting attention, Aura touched her own finger to it, and sent a charge through. It was the most she could give, but it did the trick as the trooper began to writhe and shudder, then with a start, the hand that held the other captive was uncurled, and they fell to the ground, yelping slightly with the impact.

The other hand though...that held herself, was still grasping tight, and now that the other person was no longer in danger, Aura tried something different. Trying to absorb some of the trooper's own power, she then sent a slightly stronger shock back through. It was taking all she had to do this, but she needed to get free.

It worked, Aura fell to the ground with a bump, and watched the trooper suffer the effects. It seemed to be malfunctioning, uttering the same words from before over and over again whilst jerking all it's robotic limbs.

She felt a tug on her clothing, and saw the child looking at her.

"We hafta get out of here!" it whispered nervously "He'll send more when he finds out"

"Who will?"

"Ivo"

Aura nodded and followed her new aquantance, since she knew their surroundings.

If Robotnik was here...this must mean that where she was either an alternate of her own Mobius, or another version completely. The child had called him Ivo...but she couldn't be sure if that had any significance.

For now, she just kept running. Breathing harshly with each step, Aura was tiring by the minute. Dimensional travel took a lot of energy, and though she recalled falling into a light doze on arrival, it hadn't lasted long, and definatly wasn't enough to recharge her. Her arm hadn't stopped hurting, she stopped to lean against a wall, but almost immediately the child was back, tugging on her clothing and urging her to get up.

"Can't..." Aura murmured.

"Mommy and daddy can help, home's not too far!" came the urgent plea "Come on...please!"

With great effort, Aura managed to stand up again, but wavered dangerously. The child grasped her hand tightly and lead her slightly slower through the alleyways. For a moment, it was as if she were eight again, racing as she had done from the Mettalix robot which had killed Kharis...

Shaking her head, she tried to concentrate on the situation around her.

They were now near a small group of houses, which had, at once time obviously been luxurious, but now, though not as bad, looked slightly the worse for wear. This was probably, Aura reasoned, one of the more better kept regions of whatever city she was in. Though the houses were not perfect, each was obviously kept in good condition.

Now her arm was making her wince in pain; using her powers had seriously weakened her and it was taking its toll.

The child ran to a door, knocking frantically until it opened.

A female fox gasped on seeing the person in front of her, and grabbed the child in a bear hug.

"Shelly! Don't ever do that to me again, we were worried sick that he'd got you as well"

"I'm sorry mommy...but I was gonna rescue him"

The mother sighed, then caught sight of Aura standing just behind her daughter.

"Shelly..." she asked "Who's this?"

Shelly burst into a smile "She helped me mommy, one of those big robots was gonna take me to Ivo, and she ran to it, but it caught her, but she did this weird spark thing and it let go...then we ran here" she finished with a big gasp after saying so much without a breath inbetween.

The mother just looked very relieved.

Aura winced and held her arm again; the pain was stronger now, and her ears were pressed against her head and teeth clenched as she tried not to cry.

"Oh my" Shelly's mother uttered, ushering her daughter in. "Come in please, I can take care of that for you"

Aura nodded "Thank you" she managed to get out, trembling with pain, fear and exhaustion, but managing to follow the other fox in. The door closed as soon as they were inside, and locked. Aura, now in relative safety, felt more tired than ever, trying not to show it as she followed the two down a corridor into a small kitchen. Also in there was an older male fox, who Shelly ran to and hugged tightly and was soon identified as her father.

"Who's this?" he asked "Ally?"

The mother turned to him "She helped Shelly from the troopers, Ashley"

Ashley nodded "Thank you for helping our daughter", but frowned as he saw Aura wavering side to side, and got up quickly. Ally had left the room to get a first aid kit, and he had a feeling that whoever this person was, she was going to have a collision with the floor if he didn't do something.

He caught Aura just before she fainted.


__________________________________________________________________________________________

2.30am, day one.
__________________________________________________________________________________________



Sonic yawned, catching himself as his eyes tried to droop shut again.

His eyes centered to the clock on the wall.

Two thirty in the morning, no wonder he felt tired. His bed at the base was appealing, but remembering Amy his expression soured. He rubbed at his eyes, trying to starve off the fatigue. Just one look towards the double doors at the end of the corridor was enough to keep him awake. There was nothing he could do right now, except wait, and that wasn't one of his good points.

"Sonic!"

His head jerked up once more as the voice called him, and turned to see Tekno running to him with the Kintobor computer under her arm. From her breathing, she had obviously run all the way there, so he took the computer from her, waiting as she let her head hang and her hands on her knees, catching her breath.

"I told you to stay here!" he snapped, making the canary blink in surprise "What if that robot comes after the rest of the zone?"

Feeling her anger building, Tekno hissed back at him "don't you think I deserve to be here as much as you? Amy's my best friend!"

"I...I'm sorry" Sonic stuttered, then sighed, rubbing his arm in an effort at distraction "I...I just don't want anyone else to get hurt"

Tekno's expression softened, and she placed her hand on his shoulder "I know Sonic, but you can't try and do everything by yourself...and people will be hurt even when you do everything you can"

"Yeah..." Sonic sighed, but nodded "I guess so..." he paused, eyeing the computer "Did you find anything?"

He'd contacted Tekno almost immediatly after Aura had dissapeared, asking if she could try to pick up a signal from the residual energy radiated from wherever Aura ended up. If she had only teleported over a distance - and was therefore still on Mobius - they would know, and then he could try to find and help her.

Tekno shook her head "Sorry...I didn't find anything, I got the signal for when she left, but there wasn't another one"

"Are you sure she didn't just go further than the sensors could pick it up?"

"No, we established when she joined that she couldn't teleport across the planet in just one trip, and I tied in these sensors to a satallite, so it covers the entire planet anyway" she paused, musing "it's a pity those sensors can't be calibrated to pick up badnik attacks, but it's just for sensing unidentifable energy sources, and the badniks run off the same electrical energy as most of the electrical systems on the planet..."

"So she's done a dimensional teleport?" Sonic frowned "I didn't think that could be done so soon...she just got herself and Amy here"

"She hadn't used her powers for a while before, and had time to rest at the hospital, so she could recharge enough" Tekno still looked uncertain "Though the only person who really knows about how her teleportation works is Aura herself"

Both fell silent.

"How is Amy?" Tekno finally said, breaking the silence.

Sonic sighed deeply "She hit it hard...hairline fracture and bad concussion...they don't think there's any internal bleeding...but..." he paused again "The next twenty four hours are still critical..."

"Amy..." Tekno numbly sat down in the chair next to Sonic. He placed his arm around her, both offering silent comfort to each other.

They needed it.


___________



A few hours passed.

Sonic paced the doorway, unable to sleep, both hands clasped behind his back, and eyes fiercely aimed at the floor. His footsteps echoed so harshly on the floor that Tekno was sure that he would burn a hole in the floor should he keep it up much longer. Right now, she daren't even speak to him, since he looked ready to snap at everyone and anything, so she just sat, watched, and worried.

Ever since they had met, Amy had been her best friend. When Shortfuse, who had helped rescue her from Robotnik, was injured, he had been helping the freedom fighters, and asked to be taken to her, since she had a good knowledge of his robotic body. While she had been running a systems check, Tekno had begun talking to the freedom fighter who stayed, the others leaving to check on something.

Both soon found they shared interests, such as in technology, and became good friends, and Tekno had joined the freedom fighters as a sort of...technical expert. Amy had some skill in technology, but nowhere at the same level as her friend. And after Porker Lewis had left, to stay with Knuckles on the Floating Island, her talents were welcomed.

Tekno would stay at the base in Emerald Hill a good deal, but spend most of her time at her workshop, and Amy would join her and help.

She counted Amy almost like a sister.

Sonic had only told her a little of what happened, but she knew that it didn't sound too good. She was worried about Aura as well, it had been little over a month since she had joined them, and Tekno was still researching her powers, and hadn't come up with any explanation for why they were there - Aura had no clue, and it only made Tekno even more determined to find out. Her best honed power was electricity, since teleportation was more of a defensive than offensive power. As far as she could tell, Aura was not comfortable - or skilled - in her fire ability, and Tekno sensed something was amiss.

Sonic knew something - Tekno glanced at where he was still pacing - but wasn't revealing anything.

Did he also know why she had left...Tekno was sure that he was hiding something about that as well, but if Aura had confided in him - and from what Tekno had seen, that was something she didn't like to do - she wasn't about to pry.

Hopefully, Aura would realise her mistake.

Sonic growled, and shot another glance at the door. He needed to do, or know something! His feet would not stay still; when sitting, they tapped on the floor, or swung back and forth with ferocity. His hands were clenched into fists, fingers pressing so deeply into his hands that they left a mark when removed.

He was angry at Aura - not for the reason she had thought - because she had run away...again.

Was that the only way she was going to deal with her problems? Running away? Sonic knew from experience that was not the way to do it. From when he had turned into Super Sonic after falling in the Emerald chamber, and after Johnny had died, Sonic had learnt that the only way to get through something, wasn't to let it get to you, or try to get away from it, but to find somebody and talk to them.

But without being able to get to her, Sonic couldn't do anything.

So he tried to stop thinking about it, but his thoughts then turned to Amy.

That just made things worse. He felt angry at her for getting hurt, worried, and...something he couldn't define, but it made his eyes water, the angry expression disappear from his face, and a faint flush colour his cheeks. She had grown up a lot from being an annoying girl with a crush on him. Amy was a lot more mature and didn't chase after him, which had been a good thing. But watching her grow up had made him wonder, and he had been thinking about this for a few months now.

The irony surprised him, that when she stopped chasing, he was beginning to think it might work.

But now, he may never get the chance to find out.
Sign up to rate and review this story