Categories > Celebrities > Savage Garden > Night and Day

14

by Rose_Angel 0 reviews

Darren and Daniel in 1920s America

Category: Savage Garden - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Colby Taylor, Daniel Jones, Darren Hayes, Kathleen de Leon - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-02-07 - Updated: 2006-02-08 - 4880 words

0Unrated
Night and Day 14/20
Rating: This is a pretty harmless chapter. But due to certain reasons (look at warnings below), we'll say PG-13
Disclaimer: This is a completely fictional story about two men who just happen to be named Darren Hayes and Daniel Jones. I do not own those names and I do not mean harm to anyone who may have those names. This is purely for entertainment, and no money is being made.
Warnings: Brief and slight mentions to prostitutes and drugs.
Thank yous: Again to Linda for betaing. You are my savior, Linda. :)
Author's Note: I delved more into the darker underbelly of American society during the 1920s which means I used some of the slang that was popular for the lower classes. Here is a brief explanation of words you may not understand:
1) white lightening- a nickname for bootleg whiskey, so called because it was usually manufactured and transferred during night.
2) bull- policeman/cops.
3) hop- referring to any drugs. Marijuana, cocaine, and opiates being the most commonly used drugs during this time period.
4) gummy- down or depressed.
5) vamp- prostitute or a girl who acted in a slutty manner.
6) quiffs- prostitutes
7) fag- gay man. Came into usuage during this time period.
8) Ethel- an effeminate man.
9) on the level- legitimate
10) Posi-lutely- a mix between positively and absolutely.
11) piffle- bullshit. Rambling.
12) bum's rush- the act of kicking someone out of a bar, usually someone who is intoxicated.

Night and Day 14/20


"Without you, dear, I live a lie. I can't defend, I love you and I can't pretend." I Can't Pretend by Billie Holiday


Daniel ducked into the small dilapidated building, his eyes darting around him before he walked in, making his way through the drunks straight to the bar. "A whiskey sour please," he said to the overweight man behind the bar.
"Don't have that tonight, fella." The bartender leaned forward. "It's only the white lightening tonight."
"That will be fine." Daniel nodded. "Any problems tonight?"
"Not yet, old man." A glass was set before Daniel. "Careful though, the last thing we need is a bull comin' in."
"I know, Fred." Daniel drained the terrible tasting moonshine in one swallow and watched as Fred poured him another one. The illegally brewed whiskey was terrible, but it offered him the release he so desperately needed. He had been going to speakeasy after speakeasy for over a month now, ever since Darren had ended their love affair. It was the same every night, he drank, stumbled home, wrote terrible piano music on the piano Kathleen had convinced her parents to buy him, wrote a letter to Darren, and then found his way to bed. It was the only way he could find to deal with his mounting depression. With every passing day, he hated Kathleen a bit more and resented the life he had been forced into. He could still be in Australia, playing the piano at the hotel and having affairs with nameless men who came to find him after he was done playing. Life had been perfect in Australia, whereas in America it was only torture.
"Hello, friend," a small man slid onto the bar stool next to him, smelling strongly of sweat and cheaply brewed gin. "Got a ciggy?"
"Sure." Daniel nodded and gave the man a cigarette, not bothering to look at him.
"And a light?"
Daniel took a box of matches out of his pocket and put them on the counter. "Will that do?"
"Of course, friend." The man nodded and took a match with his long, skeletal fingers. "Name's Stewart. Tom Stewart." He took a drag of his cigarette. "And I've got something for a lonely soul like you, fella."
"Do you now?" Daniel asked, draining another glass.
"Sure I do," Stewart confirmed. "You ever tried the hop?"
"The what?" Daniel finally turned to look at this man whose high, nasal voice was beginning to annoy him. He was small, couldn't be more than five feet and four inches with black hair and a terrible moustache. He was thin, though emaciated was the proper word to describe him, and his old suit hung off of him and smelled as if it had never been cleaned.
"The hop," Stewart repeated. "Come on, man, dope. I've got the swellest dope you'll ever find around here. It will take you to the moon and back. And you look like you need it, friend. You're looking a bit gummy, really."
"I don't think I'm interested."
"Sure you are." Stewart slid a little closer to him. "Look, here's what I can do for you. I can find you the nicest little vamp you've ever seen and she'll make you the happiest man alive. And while you're having your way with her, the two of you can try some hop and really have a good time."
"I'm not interested in your quiffs." Daniel was itching to punch this annoying little man, to hurt him badly. He came here to think and get drunk, not to be offered prostitutes and dope.
"Ah, I understand." Stewart lowered his voice. "You're a fag, ain'tcha? That's fine, friend, no problem. I can find you an Ethel too. You like Ethels don't you?"
"A what?"
"A man who really should be a vamp if you catch my drift." Stewart nodded. "How does that sound for you? A swell boy and some dope?"
"Pipe down, will you?" Daniel sighed, wondering where Fred was with his other drink.
"I promise, friend, I'm on the level. Posi-lutely legit."
"Hey, what's this?" Fred came from the back room with another bottle of his white lightening. "Stewart, get lost, willya? You scare the hell out of my customers. We don't need your piffle and drugs. You'll get the bulls in here! Get lost! Scram!" Stewart stood and ran, though not until after he had winked at Daniel. "Sorry about that, fella," Fred sighed as he poured Daniel another drink. "He comes in here sometimes, thinks he can scam everyone. I give him the bum's rush at least three times a week."
"That's fine," Daniel said, finished his drink, and got up, feeling sufficiently on edge. "I'll see you tomorrow night, Fred. Good night."
"Sure." Fred nodded as he turned to greet another customer and Daniel walked out of the gin joint, wishing he had taken Stewart up on his offer of drugs. He had thought it was too early in the night to be thinking about Darren, but his mind had pushed the Englishman's face into his brain at the mention of sex with a male and Daniel wanted nothing more at that moment than to be as numb as humanly possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Darren, are you quite busy?" the Baroness asked after knocking on Darren's study door, peeking her head in. Her son-in-law was at his desk reading over some documents and he had not been out in quite some time.
"Yes, Baroness, very busy." Darren nodded as he took his pen to a piece of paper, not bothering to look up. "I've just been sent this year's report on the house in London and I must decide on the finances immediately."
"Your sister is living there, yes?"
"Only during the winter." Darren nodded. "She's sent me recommendations for whom I should keep on and whom I should let go. It isn't exactly wonderful."
"Why don't you have your secretary helping you?"
"I don't have one, Baroness," Darren sighed as he began doing some figures on a spare piece of paper. He had been trying to be especially nice to the Baroness for the past month, mainly because the older woman never hesitated in making some sort of comment about his tastes and the way he looked at Daniel during social functions in front of his wife and even other ladies who came to tea. He could not figure out how his mother-in-law knew, but he decided it would do him little good to fight with her when she had such powerful knowledge.
The Baroness came forward and sat in a chair in front of Darren's desk. "That is what I wanted to speak to you about, Darren."
"Pardon?"
"Your household," Lady Audrey pressed on. "It is severely lacking."
"You told Colby her household was very well-run."
"It is, Darren, it most certainly is." His mother-in-law nodded. "However, you are lacking in servants, and the most important ones at that."
"Baroness." Darren looked up from his papers, "The household is purely Colby's own domain. I have very little to do with the running of this house, I only write the checks so that our servants can be paid."
"Yes, Darren, I understand. However, Colby has been quite ill of late and I really thought I should not bother her with these details."
It was true, Colby had not been feeling well over the past two weeks, and Darren was becoming concerned. The doctors he had brought in assured them both that all was well, that Colby's body was simply readjusting to this monumental change. The child had started moving only just two days earlier and the doctors had further promised them that this was a very good sign indeed. One doctor, however, had suggested Colby stay in bed as much as possible, perhaps for the remainder of her pregnancy. Colby had, at first, not taken to the idea, but now she was upstairs sleeping yet again. "You're quite right, Baroness." Darren nodded, setting down his pen. "Tell me then, what is our household missing?"
"First of all, you need a private secretary," Mrs. Taylor said. "He would be able to do some of the more mundane things you commit yourself to-----"
"Baroness, the work with the estates in England and Scotland is the only thing I really have to do. It keeps me very busy during the day. I have no desire to hire someone to do the work for me."
"He will be able to write correspondences, pay your bills, keep track of decisions you make. Darren, every proper gentleman has a private secretary."
"Fine," Darren sighed. "What else?"
"I think it is absolutely ridiculous that Colby does not have a social secretary," the Baroness continued, a smile on her face from her first victory. "She does not need to be responding to invitations alone. She has more important things to worry about. A social secretary would be able to do those things for her, and even write out invitations when a party is being planned."
"I agree, go on."
"A kitchen maid."
"Ours was fired just before Christmas. You may conduct interviews to find a new one."
"We must begin the search for the nurse for the child," the Baroness said. "I have written to a friend in England for an English nurse, they are much better than these silly American girls. And finally, but most importantly, I find it very disappointing that Colby does not have a lady's maid and you do not have a valet, Darren."
"Colby's maid left to get married in September, just after we came back from Paris."
"And why hasn't she gotten a new one?"
"I don't know, Baroness. You'd have to ask her."
"Well, then I suppose I will conduct interviews for a lady's maid as well. And for your valet, Darren?"
"Absolutely not," Darren stated firmly. "I have not had a valet since England and I have no desire to have one now."
"Darren, it is extremely important for you to have a valet. He will be able to ensure your clothes are cleaned and pressed and laid out for you in the morning and then taken from your room in the evening."
"Baroness, I do not need a valet. And I will not have one."
"Why not, Darren?" the Baroness leaned forward. "Is it because you want to come and go as you please, without someone catching on to your terrible acts?"
Darren stared at the woman again that panicked feeling rising in him. "How do you know?" he asked. "I've always hid it well."
The Baroness laughed. "Oh, Darren, do you really think I am so naive as to not ensure the man my daughter was marrying was a morally upstanding one? Do you think the meeting was accidental? I had heard plenty of rumors around high society about your interests and decided my poor spinster daughter would be perfect for you. She was highly educated and unlikely to marry at her age, and I knew if your parents were to hear the rumors, they would request you find a wife immediately. Thus, I sent an anonymous letter which suggested a myriad of sins committed by their youngest son, and then kept my eyes on the society papers for what parties you would be attending. Your parents demanded you marry and I put Colby right in front of you and spoke to your parents just a few weeks after the two of you had met. Talk of marriage started just a little while later."
Darren felt his jaw dropping; unable to believe the level of manipulation this woman was capable of. He knew the rumors had not been good, but he did not know everyone had heard them and he certainly had no idea the Baroness had heard any of them. He had always wondered how his parents had found out about his nightly adventures and now he knew. "And so you married your daughter off to a homosexual? For what reason, Baroness? You must have known she could not be happy."
"Happiness had little to do with the arrangement of your marriage to my daughter, Darren. It was purely for my own gain and Colby's as well, of course. Your father promised me he would have a talk with you about your single duty in this marriage, to make sure Colby gave you an heir. It has taken several years, of course, but you have completed that task, at least."
Darren just shook his head, disbelief clearly displayed on his features. "I can't believe this, Baroness. I can't fathom the level of planning this must have required and then once it was completed, you were pleased merely for your own special reasons."
"Don't be ridiculous, Darren. Colby never would have married had it not been for you," the Baroness settled back into a chair. "I'll begin conducting interviews for all positions, including a valet for you, Darren."
"Yes, Baroness." Darren nodded, suddenly realizing that what he wanted mattered little to this woman, who only desired power.
"And, Darren?"
"Yes?"
The Baroness stood and smiled at him, "Having affairs is a very English thing to do. God knows your father wouldn't have been able to get through life without his mistress, but being discreet is also thoroughly English. Have your affairs if you want. But please, do not let Colby or the rest of society know."
"Of course."
"Oh, and do not forget tomorrow is Valentine's Day. Do buy something for my daughter. And do you have your costume ready?"
"Costume?"
"For the de Leon's Valentine's Day masquerade ball. You are young yet, and will have to dress up."
"Yes, Baroness." Darren nodded and watched as his mother-in-law walked out of the room, returning to his work only when she shut the door and he exhaled the breath he had been holding.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, Daniel!" Kathleen squealed as she clapped her hands together. "You look lovely! Doesn't he look lovely, Mother?"
"Yes, Katie, he looks lovely." Mrs. de Leon stood to admire her future son-in-law's costume. "You make a wonderful Romeo, Daniel."
Daniel stared at himself in the mirror, taking in the Renaissance costume: the black stockings, red taffeta knickers that puffed out, and a garish tunic. The hat, of course, seemed to make him look even more ridiculous than he had considered possible. "I look ridiculous," he grunted.
"Daniel!" Kathleen gasped. "You look wonderful! We'll be a wonderful Romeo and Juliet tomorrow evening!"
"Did this Romeo chap really dress like this?"
"Of course he did, Daniel." Kathleen nodded. "It was during the Renaissance. Everyone dressed this way."
"Thank God the fashion didn't last then."
"Don't be insolent, Daniel," Mrs. de Leon chided. "Romeo and Juliet is one of the most romantic stories ever written. It is a wonderful thing for a couple to masquerade as the two lovers."
Didn't they both die in the end? Daniel thought as he stared at himself in the mirror, wondering how he would survive the next evening without the alcohol he was beginning to depend on. This seemed to be the ultimate humiliation and he stiffened as Mr. de Leon walked into the sitting room. "What is all this?"
"Daniel's going to be Romeo, Daddy, and I'll be Juliet," Kathleen answered as she kissed her father on the cheek. "Doesn't he look wonderful?"
"He looks absolutely ridiculous," Mr. de Leon sniffed. "And wasn't that play a tragedy?"
Thank you, Mr. de Leon. "Daddy!" Kathleen sighed. "They were in love, that's what matters. You and Mother are dressing up, yes?"
"Only masques, my dear." Mrs. de Leon nodded and then turned to the seamstress. "Take it in at the waist, Alice. He is extremely thin."
"Yes, Madam." Alice nodded and moved in with her measuring tape.
"When Alice is finished, Daniel, please come downstairs for dinner," Mrs. de Leon said. "Katie, please go to your room and get dressed for dinner."
The de Leons left and Alice backed away from Daniel. "All done, Mr. Jones," she said. "You may undress."
Daniel went into the next room, took off the ridiculous outfit, redressed, and then went downstairs. He couldn't quite believe that he was being forced to dress like a complete poofter in front of a crowd of people. He didn't understand the fascination with a masquerade ball, especially for Valentine's Day. Mr. de Leon had told him to buy a beautiful present for Kathleen, preferably something very pricey. And so he had taken his week's pay and bought his fiancée a diamond bracelet. Mr. de Leon had laughed at his present, which he had called, "Absolutely worthless. She already has a tennis bracelet, and it is certainly more beautiful than this, Daniel." After several more attempts, Daniel finally gave up and bought her a simple book of love sonnets written by Shakespeare. He did not show it to Mr. de Leon, knowing the man would object. He figured Kathleen would enjoy this romantic gift more than another piece of sparkling jewelry. "Daniel." Mr. de Leon came to him, "Have you bought Katie's gift?"
"Yes, sir." Daniel nodded as he continued walking into the dining room, taking his place at the table, across from Kathleen and next to Mrs. de Leon.
"May I see it?"
"I do not have it with me, sir."
"What is it then?"
"It will be a surprise."
"Christ, boy, it needn't be a surprise to me." The powerful man rolled his eyes. "What is it?"
"Simple fare tonight." Mrs. de Leon came in at that moment. "We must allow our bodies to prepare for tomorrow evening."
"Yes, of course, my dear." Mr. de Leon nodded as he took his seat at the opposite end of the table, across from his wife. The butler pulled his mistress's seat out for her and left to call the maid in. Kathleen came down at that moment, dressed in a simple navy blue dress and sat down across from Daniel, bowing her head as her father started a prayer. The moment the prayer was done, she began talking excitedly.
"I can't wait for tomorrow!" she nearly squealed. "Will a lot of people be coming, Mother?"
"The same number as last year, Kathleen."
"Oh," Katie's face fell. "I had hoped it would be more. I think my Juliet costume is much prettier than last year's terrible Southern belle costume."
"Kathleen, please watch what you say. Vanity is not a virtue, modesty is."
It took everything Daniel had not to roll his eyes at the scene. Despite her twenty-six years, Kathleen was treated as if she were a petulant child, instead of a woman on the verge of marriage and possibly, motherhood. Kathleen was the daughter and now, since her brother's premature death, the only child and her parents had had no qualms about spoiling her. Her father adored her, and her mother acted as if nothing in the world could possibly compare to her. It's what he hated most about his fiancée; she seemed to think she was owed the world and more because her parents had taught her so, and Daniel felt he could never compete. "Daniel, you are excited, aren't you?" Kathleen asked him.
"Very." He nodded, though he refused to meet her eyes. "And tomorrow I'll be giving you a present, Katie-girl."
"I do love Valentine's Day!" Katie gasped as she began to eat, Daniel wishing once again that he could have a drink.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Happy Valentine's Day, my darling girl." Darren smiled as he went into Colby's room the afternoon of February 14th. His wife was in bed, her face ghastly pale, but she immediately smiled.
"Happy Valentine's Day, my wonderful husband." She smiled and lifted her cheek for a kiss, which she promptly turned so that Darren's lips brushed her own instead. He fought the urge to cringe and kissed her lightly.
"I've got something very special for you." He smiled. "Very special indeed. Walters, bring him in please."
Their butler promptly came in, carrying a brown and white spotted puppy. "Oh Darren!" Colby clapped her hands excitedly as the dog was placed on her lap. "He's charming! Is he for me?"
"Of course he is." Darren nodded as he the Baroness came in the room to see what all of the fuss was about.
"What is his name?" Colby asked as the puppy clamored about.
"He doesn't have one yet. He is all yours to name."
"Oh, I'll have to think about it." Colby smiled at her mother. "Mother, don't I have the best husband you've ever met?"
"Wonderful, my dear." The Baroness nodded. "You need your rest, Colby. Really, excitement is not good for either you or the baby. Walters, take the mongrel downstairs and prepare a cup of tea for your mistress."
"Yes, Madam." The butler nodded and took the dog from Colby's grasp.
"Mother, I'm not at all tired."
"Rest, Colby. Darren needs to prepare for the masquerade. He will see you tonight."
"She's right, Colby." Darren nodded. "You need your rest. I will come and say goodnight after the party."
"Promise?"
"Of course." Darren nodded and kissed her forehead, again resisting the urge to cringe. "Now, rest, my dear girl, and I will see you later."
He walked out of the room, the Baroness following closely behind him. "Very clever, Darren."
"Excuse me?" Darren asked.
"It was quite clever of you to give her a puppy. He can be her new companion while you're out with your own companion."
"That was not the reason I gave her the dog, Baroness." Darren rolled his eyes. "And, for your information, I currently do not have a companion."
"Darren, I'm not a fool. I see the way you look at Daniel Jones, and certainly the way he looks at you."
"A thing of the past." Darren nodded. "It ended long ago."
"You may tell yourself a lie, Darren, but I am not an idiot. Anything you may have had with Daniel Jones has not ended. But again, I only ask discretion."
She said nothing else and Darren only shook his head as he went to his room to prepare for the evening.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mr. Darren Hayes and Lady Audrey Taylor," the butler announced Darren and his mother-in-law just a few hours later as they came in, dressed for what was expected to be quite an evening. Darren was dressed as Hamlet, one of his favorite characters from Shakespeare, while Lady Taylor wore a simple gown and a black mask.
"It's a pleasure to see you this evening, Mr. Hayes." Mrs. de Leon smiled from behind her own mask. "How is Mrs. Hayes faring?"
"Quite well, thank you," Darren replied in the only way possible. "And is that Juliet I see?" He walked towards Kathleen who was dressed in a deep velvet Renaissance style costume. "But soft, what light through yonder window breaks! It is the East and Juliet is the sun. Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon who is already sick and pale with grief that thou her maid art far more fair than she." He kissed her hand at the end of his little monologue and smiled. "You look wonderful this evening, Miss de Leon. Or, shall I say, Juliet?"
"Oh, thank you, Mr. Hayes." Kathleen blushed. "You did that quite well, really."
"Oh, I acted as Romeo many a year ago in London." Darren waved his hand. "Though, if my Juliet had been nearly as beautiful as you are this evening, I surely would have embarrassed myself and forgotten my lines."
"Mr. Hayes, you are too kind."
"But tell me, where is Romeo? Juliet cannot be without her Romeo."
"He's on the veranda smoking," Kathleen sighed. "I don't think he likes his costume very much, Mr. Hayes. Perhaps you can talk him into coming to the party."
"I will try my very best." Darren nodded and started out towards the veranda, where he found Daniel smoking away. "Oh Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou, Romeo?"
Daniel turned quickly. "Oh Christ," he sighed. "Darren."
"Yes, Danny, me." Darren came forward. "How are you?"
"Are those the first words you planned on saying to me after all this time?" Daniel snapped.
"But they weren't." Darren shook his head. "I quoted Shakespeare first. It worked very well with your fiancée."
"What do you want, Darren?"
"How are you, Daniel?"
"I need a drink," Daniel replied as he took a drag of his cigarette. "And I need to get the hell out of this completely ridiculous costume."
"I don't think it's completely ridiculous at all," Darren replied. "Of course, I'm wearing one frighteningly similar."
"Darren, you haven't spoken to me in over a month. Why now?"
And it was at that moment that Darren realized he had no idea why he was talking to Daniel. He wasn't sure why in the world he couldn't stop staring at the Australian's long legs encased in black stockings. Christ, Darren, your wife is home pregnant and sick. Your only responsibility is to her. Darren hated that voice, the voice of reason and found himself staring at the cigarette between Daniel's lips, suddenly remembering the way those lips had pleasured him for hours on end. He realized his breath was becoming ragged and he decided at that moment to ignore the voice. I love him. I need him. I miss him. Nothing is more important than him. "Do you miss me, Daniel?" he found himself asking, as the voice of reason in his mind yelled at him to cease this line of questioning.
"What?"
"Do you miss me?" Darren asked again, moving closer to his former lover and taking the cigarette to take a drag himself.
"Of course I do," Daniel replied and then shook his head. "I mean, Darren, you told me we were done. A thing of the past."
"I did it for Colby," Darren sighed. "It was stupid of me. I don't love her, Daniel. The past month has been complete and utter torture. I try to love her. I try to kiss her. I try to hold her, but anytime I hear the name Daniel or see you or even see someone who looks like you, my heart races and I want no one but you. Don't you understand, Daniel? Without you, I am nothing but a lie." He moved again even closer to Daniel, loving the feeling of the taller man's breath on his face. "My mother-in-law said something very interesting today, Danny, and I do not think I fully understood what she meant until I saw you here tonight. She told me that I could continue lying to myself, but whatever had existed between the two of us was in no way over. I think she is right."
"Lady Audrey knows?" Daniel blanched.
"Yes, but I doubt she will tell anyone." Darren smiled. "Daniel, I've made a dreadful mistake. Do you miss me?"
"Yes." Daniel nodded as Darren came even closer, his breath suddenly catching in his throat.
"Daniel!" Kathleen called from the door. "Romeo, do come inside, please?"
Daniel dipped his head and hoped his fiancée couldn't hear his ragged breathing as he replied, "Of course, Katie. I will be right there."
Kathleen turned to go back inside and Darren smiled. "Do you still have the key?" he murmured as he allowed his hand to reach up and stroke Daniel's cheek.
"Yes." Daniel nodded. "Though I can't tell you why."
"Good." Darren nodded. "Then we'll meet at the room in three hours, Daniel. Get out of that ridiculous costume and then come to me, my wonderful Danny boy. I have missed you."
And with that, Darren turned and went inside and Daniel steadied himself against a wall, wondering if this was all some sort of a dream or if, finally, he would become Darren's once again.

TBC
Sign up to rate and review this story