Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > The Life You Created

All Grown Up

by Moonshyne 0 reviews

Bob gives Mary an unexpected gift for her 18th birthday.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Bob Bryar - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2008-03-27 - Updated: 2008-03-28 - 1230 words - Complete

0Unrated
“Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Mary, Happy Birthday to you.”

Mary blew out eighteen candles on her birthday cake.

“What did you wish for princess?”

“I can’t tell you that it won’t come true.”

They passed out cake and ice cream to all the guests and then it was finally time to open presents. It was mostly cards with cash and gift cards. After Mary was done she was slightly disappointed there was nothing from her dad.

“Princess, can I see you out front for a minute?”

“Sure Dad,” she turned to her friends and said, “I’ll be right back.”

Bob took Mary and covered her eyes. He guided her out to the front of the house. He took his hands away from her eyes and there in front of her was a brand new blue Mustang convertible with a red bow on the hood.

“Oh my God!” Mary started jumping up and down, “Thank you daddy!!”

“Check out the glove compartment.”

Mary expected to maybe the keys, but there were plane tickets.

“Round trip tickets to New York?”

“Check out the dates.”

“I’m leaving tomorrow?” Then her eyes widened even more. “A month, I’ll be there a whole month?” Her eyes widened even more. “Where will I be staying?”

“Do you really have to ask?”

“Aunt Brianna?”

“If you want to, though I think someone will be disappointed,” smiled Bob. On cue Kimmy came running out of the house.

Kimmy was now twenty-one and had been living in New York for the past three years. She went to school for fashion design and loved being in the center of it. She had an internship with Ralph Lauren and loved it. She even had input on a skirt for his fall line. She had been walking by after getting coffee for the designers and mentioned how how six gather points at the hips would make the skirt fuller. She also had a real job that her father didn’t know about. She worked for a small independent comic book company, she did inks and color for various comics. She didn’t need the job because her father gave her a handsome allowance. She just loved it and her bosses were the best.

Kenny watched Kimmy and Mary talking he was really proud of her because she got the internship all on her own. His other adopted children either worked at the foundation or Kenny called in some favors. He was proud of his children, not one of them was a trouble makers. The world was a sad state of affairs nowadays. Close to fifty percent of all teenagers have been arrested for either violence, drugs, or some other thing. There seemed no one that could unite them in a common ground. The music nowadays reflected the violence. He was so thankful that his kids and Mary weren’t part of it.

Mary took Kimmy out back to where the other guests were. They sat and chatted with her friends, she told them about the car and how she was going to New York for a month. The party finally ended at midnight as the last guest left. It was just Bob, Kimmy and Mary left.

“C’mon you girls need to get some rest. You have a long flight tomorrow. And you young lady have to still pack.”

“I’ll just throw everything I own into a suitcase.”

“That closet full of clothes and shoes will fit in a suitcase?”

“I’ll pack in the morning.”

“Whatever she needs I’ll get for her,” said Kimmy.

The next morning, Bob gave Mary a list of things she would need for her trip. He smiled as she looked at the list. It seemed he had a list for everything. But the one that will always stand out is the one on the fridge that says “Keep Promise to Sam.” It was a New Year’s resolution from over seventeen years ago. He never threw it out.

They got to the airport and it was time to leave her at the gate.

“I’ll miss you Dad. We’ve never been apart this long.”

“I know. I’m going to miss you something fierce,” Bob said as he held his daughter tight. He kissed her forehead, and just held her like he never wanted to let her go. “I can’t believe my little girl is all grown up. Officially an adult.”

“Not until Friday Dad.”

“Here’s a cash card for twenty-five thousand. Spend it wisely.” Bob turned to Kimmy “Here’s that proposal for your bosses. Kimmy take care of my daughter and keep her safe.” He gave Kimmy a tight hug and then moved back to Mary. “I love you princess.”

“I love you too daddy.”

“Hey keep away from Jersey it’s a dangerous place.” That wasn’t the only reason why. The chances of her running into them was probably one in a million, it wasn’t a chance he was willing to take.

“Now seating first class for Flight 318 going to New York.”

“We gotta go Dad. Are you going to Chicago?”

“Yeah.”

“Call me at my time.”

“You know I will. I’ll always say Happy Birthday to you at your birth time.”

Bob always said Happy Birthday to Mary at time she was born. Then forty minutes later said “I miss you” to a picture of Sam.

The two got on the plane, sat in their seats and buckled their seatbelts. After take off Mary turned to Kimmy, “So what was that proposal about?”

“My bosses, where I draw comics, was looking to update their website. I told them about your dad and they asked for a proposal.”

“Let me see.” Mary looked at the all too familiar letterhead that had a swirl of green leaves with GREEN PAGES in the middle and RG on the bottom overlapping each other with the R on top and the G on the bottom.

“Nice one,” Mary said to herself, she was proud of her father. He really did great work and had an undisputable reputation.

“Mary you ever notice when we go out in public with your Dad, he dresses different?”

“What do you mean?”

“He wears a knit hat, a hoodie and dark glasses. Its like he doesn’t want to be recognized.”

“Bob Green famous web designer, watch out some geek will want his autograph.”

“I’m just saying.”

“You’ve known my dad your whole life. Please there is nothing famous about him. He just hates attention.”

“Tell me about it, remember that time he almost destroyed my camera?”

“Yeah that was pretty funny.”

“And how paranoid was he that it was going to go on You Tube.”

“See my Dad just hates attention.”

Kimmy went into her purse and pulled out a thin card. “Hey, happy early birthday. You’ll need this for Friday night.”

Mary smiled at the fake driver’s license. “Where are we going?”

“A club in Jersey called Maxwell’s. We’re going to see my bosses’ band.”

“My father told me to stay out of Jersey.”

“If you did everything your father told you to do, you’d still be a virgin.”

“That’s true. So what’s the name of the band?”

“My Chemical Romance.”
Sign up to rate and review this story