Categories > Games > Final Fantasy 6 > Kohlingen

Not a Thief

by TheGeminiSage 0 reviews

Locke decides he's going to be a treasure hunter when he grows up, and get his first glimpse of Rachel.

Category: Final Fantasy 6 - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Humor - Characters: Locke - Published: 2008-04-08 - Updated: 2008-04-09 - 826 words

0Unrated
It didn’t take me long to decide what I wanted to be when I grew up, let me tell you. The experience kind of hit me in the face and made me realize what my calling was real early. I knew right then what I wanted to be, would always wanna be, and nothing could change it!

Like I said, it was really early.

I was like maybe eight or nine.

So me and Jamie were bored one day. Not a big shocker. You get bored pretty easy in Kohlingen. There’s no electricity at all and even less to keep you entertained. We had to be pretty fucking creative to come up with anything to do. We used to play jacks a lot, but we wound up breaking them all (you’d be pretty amazed how quick wrestling gets serious - it hurts to roll on those damn things), so no more of that. Then we spied on Jamie’s dad one Friday night and taught ourselves how to play poker, but when Grandma found out she was pissed and said I was too damn young to be playing poker and she made me stay inside for a week. We tried to do cool things like learning to hang spoons on our noses or cross our eyes or wrestle but that’s only fun for so long before you get bored.

So Jamie and me, we decided to pretend we were pirates.

This was a whole lot of fun, at first. We’d already explored the whole village like a million times, but exploring it as Captain Locke and his First Mate Jamie was way different. Course Grandma always told me stories when I was little, that’s just part of being a kid, so I thought I was the fucking expert on pirates. That’s why I was Captain. (And ’cause I’m older.) So I got to give out the orders. Man, we had a ball. We were really into this shit, swaggering around like nobody’s business, poking people with these two little sticks we sharpened, talking in funny voices, really living it up. We pillaged the Ramones’ chicken coop (those little bastards had it coming), blew up some other pirate ships (which were really bushes in the backyard, but hey), and snuck into the Hughes’ inn to borrow some paper to make a treasure map - hey, finders keepers.

Well, we decided after we got through being big, badass pirates, that we really did need to find some treasure to bury so we could make our map and go get it later next time we got tired of hanging spoons on our noses.

We looked around my house, but the only cool shit there was the card deck, but I didn’t wanna bury that, and some broken jacks, but they were broken. So we decided to go to the Harcourts’ jewelry shop.

Now don’t have a heart attack - we weren’t going after the real shit. No way! Jewelry is for girls. But Mr. Harcourt made the stuff and when he got a bad ring or something he’d throw the metal out back into the crap pile to melt again and remake it later. I didn’t even know the Harcourts existed, but Jamie did, and I figured a good captain would listen to his first mate, so we got into their backyard and found the crap pile, and I was fillin’ up my pockets when the back door opens and this pair of brown eyes peeks out like I’m the weirdest thing in the world. And then I heard this giggle.

A girl, then.

Gross.

I ignored her, of course. Pirates are way cooler than girls no matter how you look at it, you know? But a second later I hear this much deeper voice and I know - ’cause every kid just knows when it’s coming - that we were in serious trouble.

“Rachel! What are you doing? You haven’t finished your studies - ”

And then bastard walked out and saw me. I looked around, but my first mate had jumped ship.

Mr. Harcourt never really liked me.

“Young man, are you trying to steal from me?” Man, was he ever pissed. All red in the face - I think some spit flew out of his mouth. That female thing over there was still giggling at me, too, like she thought the whole thing was a show.

“No way, man! I’m just trying to find some treasure!”

“I will not tolerate thieves!”

“I’m no thief!” I said, sticking my chin out all defiant-like. “I’m a treasure hunter!”

Well, he didn’t buy it. (They never do.) He practically dragged me back on my ear to go talk to Grandma.

She wasn’t too happy.

Especially when I told her what I was gonna be when I grew up.
Sign up to rate and review this story