Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Stars of Lucius

Of Stars and Dreams of Kings

by kiramorningstar 0 reviews

Lucius goes to the palace, hoping to interpret the king's dream, and meets an interesting man.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy - Published: 2008-04-20 - Updated: 2008-04-20 - 3929 words

0Unrated
The Stars of Lucius

By Kira Morningstar

Chapter 2: Of Stars and Dreams of Kings


Lucius hurried up the steps that led to the upper levels of Kamyrr’ah, oblivious to the drizzling rain that wet his thin tunic. The night was cool, but his body was warm from climbing the stairs that connected the six levels of the city. He had rarely visited the upper levels, as these were reserved for the wealthier residents of Kamyrr’ah. Had it been any other day, he would have been more interested in the fantastic houses and statues that lined the streets, but he was too worried about the task before him to pay much attention to them.

He passed statues of lions, tigers, and eagles—as well as the gods that the citizens of Kamyrr’ah worshipped, but he did not even look in the direction of those, once he realized what they were. His grandfather had always warned him not to even look upon the images of false gods, for to do so would displease the Creator.

Lucius couldn’t remember ever seeing his grandfather look so worried. He knew the old man would be heartbroken if Theron and Laertes joined the king’s Guard, and he was determined not to let that happen. He would interpret the king’s dream. He simply had to.

He slowed his pace as he neared the top level, trying to catch his breath and still his beating heart. He’d seen the palace a few times before when he was younger, of course, but the sight still left him feeling awed and rather small.

The palace was an enormous architectural wonder of high domes, towers, and grand arches. The walkway that led inside was lined with immense stone pillars, the spaces between them offering glimpses of the fabulous gardens surrounding the colonnade.

Two guards stood in front of the main entrance, watching Lucius approach.

“Halt,” one of them said. “State your purpose.”

“I’ve come to interpret the king’s dream,” Lucius answered.

The guard smiled at this, looking him over with obvious contempt. “The king hasn’t got time for the likes of you. Go on now; go back home.”

“But that’s why I’ve come, to see the king,” Lucius insisted.

“Listen, boy,” the other guard said, “you’ll be locked up in the south tower, sure as the rain. Go on, you heard him. Get out of here.”

“I’m not going until I see the king.”

“Does your mother know you’re here?” the first guard asked, which made his companion laugh.

“My mother is dead,” Lucius replied solemnly.

The guard looked a little surprised at this, his smile fading.

“Please let me pass!”

“I’ve told you, the king isn’t going to waste his time with a boy like you. Go on now—you’re trying my patience. Move along.”

“But—”

“Get out of here, NOW!” the guard insisted, pointing his spear threateningly at him.

Frustrated, Lucius backed away, stumbling down the stairs to the next level as he struggled to fight back tears. Now what was he going to do? They wouldn’t even let him inside the palace! How was he going to interpret the king’s dream if he couldn’t even get an audience with him?

As he walked, he began to pray.

Creator, show me what to do. You know my situation. I need to interpret that dream so that grandfather can buy a new boat. I don’t need the entire chest of gold—just a few pieces. Please help me.

The rain suddenly stopped and Lucius stood for a moment, watching a man who was re-lighting the torches that had gone out during the storm. He realized he was standing before another stairway that led to the uppermost level. Why not try a difference entrance to the palace? Maybe the guards there would let him inside.

He climbed the stairs and once again approached the palace, but before he had gone far, a beautiful peacock stepped in front of him, blocking his path. He stuck out his chest, proudly shaking his magnificent green and blue tail feathers.

“Hello,” Lucius said gently. “You’re very handsome, aren’t you?”

The peacock seemed to answer him by bobbing his head.

“Are you supposed to be out here? I think you must belong inside the palace.”

“He’s always trying to escape, that one,” a man said softly.

Lucius turned and saw a tall, well-dressed man walking toward him. He had long dark hair that was fastened at the back of his head but for a single thin braid that hung down the front of his tunic. His clothes, which were of a dark, heavily embroidered shiny fabric, had a foreign look to them—as though from some faraway land. He wore a cape as well, fastened at the shoulder with an elaborate silver brooch-pin.

The man offered him a friendly smile and Lucius returned it. “Can you help me get inside the palace?” he asked hopefully. “I need to see the king.”

“Do you, now?” the man murmured, eyeing him with a look of frank curiosity. “And what do want to see the king about?”

“I’ve come to interpret his dream.”

“I see.” The man continued to smile, though Lucius could detect no hostility or contempt in his look. “You’ve come for the treasure, I suppose?”

“Yes—but I don’t need the entire thing. Just a few gold coins would be fine.”

The man seemed to find this amusing, his lip quivering as though he were struggling not to laugh. “Only a few? You do realize that if you fail, you’ll be locked up in the south tower?”

“I won’t fail.”

“What makes you so sure?”

“Because,” Lucius answered, “I have dreams, too.”

The man seemed to start at this, looking at him with renewed interest. “What sort of dreams?”

“Dreams about Kamyrr’ah,” Lucius answered, a little hesitantly, suddenly realizing perhaps it wasn’t a good idea to tell anyone about his dreams.

“Good dreams?” the man asked, watching him carefully.

“No, Sir.”

“What is your name?”

“Lucius, of the House of Gaius.”

“Lucius, have you told anyone else about your dreams?”

“Only my grandfather.”

“And who is your grandfather?”

“His name is Aquilla. He is a fisherman on the first level.”

“I see.” The man studied him for a moment and then seemed to come to a decision. “Lucius, if you really want to see the king, I will help you get inside the palace. But I must ask that you not tell anyone else about your dreams—not even the king. Do you understand?”

Lucius nodded, wondering who the man was and why he was making such a request of him.

They were approaching a palace entrance and Lucius was surprised when the guards immediately moved their spears aside to allow them to pass, nodding at the man as though they knew him.

Lucius looked up at the man as he walked inside the palace, marveling over his air of confidence. He looked very much at home there, and everywhere they walked, they received nods and salutes from the courtiers they passed.

They passed another guard who bowed his head. “My prince,” he murmured.

My prince!

Lucius looked at the man again, this time with alarm. He was being accompanied by none other than Prince Sethian! No wonder he seemed so at home at the palace!

“I didn’t know you were the prince,” he said weakly.

The prince looked at him with kind, green eyes that sparkled with intelligence. “I know you didn’t. You’re shivering,” he remarked, nodding toward his tunic. “You’re wet through and through.”

“It was raining.”

“You must have been in a hurry to get here, if you couldn’t wait until the rain stopped.”

“My grandfather lost his boat in the storm today. I had to do something.”

“You’re certain you want to go through with this?” the prince asked, his brow furrowed with concern. “My father is serious; if you fail to interpret his dream you’ll be locked in the south tower indefinitely.”

“I’m certain.”

The prince stopped for a moment and removed his cape. He then put the cloak on Lucius, fastening it at the shoulder with the cloak-pin. “Warmer?” he asked.

Lucius could only nod, not quite believing that the prince had just given him his cloak. It was far too long on him, hanging down past his knees, but no one seemed to be laughing at him. Instead, everyone they passed nodded to him as though acknowledging his presence. It was a strange feeling, walking through the palace with the prince. Lucius could hardly believe it was happening. Wait until he told grandfather about it!

They came to a great hall where a man was standing by one of the open arches, staring down at the city below. Lucius knew right way he had to be King Itep, for he wore an elaborate robe of deep orange and red brocade trimmed with gold and a crown embedded with rubies.

“Father, I’ve brought someone to see you,” the prince said.

King Itep turned to them, a strange, haunted look on his face. His gaze shifted to Lucius and a fleeting look of annoyance pressed into his features. “Who is it?”

“His name is Lucius, of the House of Gaius. He’s come to interpret your dream.”

“He’s a boy,” the king replied with obvious irritation.

“He is,” Prince Sethian agreed.

King Itep sighed loudly, turning away to look back out at the city. “I knew I shouldn’t have offered that reward. Now every idiot in the region will be knocking at the palace gates!”

“You’re the one who wanted your dream interpreted. Now someone’s come to give it a try.”

“Yes, yes. I hope he’s ready to be locked in the tower! I am very much annoyed.”

“Go ahead, tell him the dream.”

King Itep turned back to Lucius, shaking his head and rolling his eyes as though completely disgusted with the situation. “Very well, Lucius. I will tell you my dream and then you will tell me what it means.”

“I will try,” Lucius agreed.

“If you fail, you will be locked in the south tower.”

Lucius nodded. “I know.”

The king watched him for a moment, a little surprised by the boy’s direct look. He did not look at all afraid, which he found curious. He eyed the cape he was wearing, puzzling over it. The cape seemed familiar—and why was it so large? It was far too big for the boy. He noticed then that Lucius was rather good-looking. He had blond hair that shone like gold in the palace torchlight, though the tips of his hair were wet, curling around his face in a fashion that reminded him more of a girl. But it was his eyes that made him look twice. Lucius had dark, bright eyes, eyes shining with secrets and mysteries, and with wisdom far beyond the young man’s meager years.

Perhaps the boy would be able to interpret his dream, after all.

“I dreamed of a golden bird,” he answered. “Its eggs were made of different gems—rubies, sapphires, and diamonds. Nearby was a pond with other small birds in it. The golden bird would drop one of her eggs into the pond and it would turn into food, and all birds would eat it. Several times the bird did this with her eggs. Then she took the rest of her eggs and hid them in her nest. But as she was doing this, the nest fell from the tree and all the eggs were destroyed, and the bird fell and broke into a thousand pieces. That is my dream. Now tell me what it means.”

Lucius thought for a moment, closing his eyes. He nodded, murmuring something softly under his breath.

Excited, the king took a step forward. “What are you saying? Speak up, I can’t hear you!”

Lucius opened his eyes and smiled. “I can interpret your dream for you.”

“Then do so!”

“The golden bird is Kamyrr’ah, and her eggs symbolize your prosperity,” Lucius replied. “As long as you are willing to share what you have with other peoples, you will continue to be prosperous. But if you refuse to share your wealth and try to keep it for yourself, you will lose everything and the city will be destroyed.”

The king looked at his son, who returned his gaze with a slow smile.

“That sounds like a good interpretation to me,” the prince remarked.

“Yes,” the king agreed, turning back to Lucius. “It does, indeed! You’ve done it, my boy! You’ve managed to do what none of the oracles could do! You shall have your reward, young Lucius Gaius!”

The king was overjoyed that his dream had finally been interpreted. He had been frustrated when none of the oracles in Kamyrr’ah could do so and only after threatening to send them into exile had it been suggested he post the notice, offering a reward for the interpretation. He had not expected anything to come of it, and he had been losing sleep, for he felt sure that the dream was of great importance. But the very day he posted the notice, his dream had been interpreted!

Now he knew the meaning, and it meant he could rest easy. All he needed to do was share his wealth. Surely that would not be so difficult. There were always emissaries from surrounding lands asking for assistance. And the dream promised continued prosperity! It was cause for celebration.

Lucius beamed a smile, feeling his tension drain away. Though the king had not seen it, the young man had been extremely nervous standing before him. It was only his firm resolve that had made him seem fearless.

There was some excitement in the great hall as the news spread that the king’s dream had been interpreted. Everyone wanted to see the boy who had done it, and soon Lucius was surrounded by courtiers.

“His reward, his reward!” King Itep said loudly, as the chest full of gold was brought before him.

“Am I really to have all this?” Lucius said, shaking his head in disbelief when he saw the treasure.

“Yes,” Prince Sethian answered, smiling kindly at him. “All of it is for you.”

“But how will I carry it home?”

Everyone laughed at this, finding the young man endearing.

“I shall have it taken wherever you like,” the king replied, “but your home is now here at the palace, Lucius. You are to be my new oracle.”

“Your…oracle?” Lucius repeated, not quite understanding.

“Yes, I must have you here. What if I have another dream? You must be here, to interpret it for me.”

“Father, you said nothing about that when you posted the notice,” the prince said in a low voice, frowning.

“Am I not the king? If I want to make this boy my oracle, he shall be my oracle. What I’m offering him is a great honor.”

“You’re not offering it, you’re mandating it,” Sethian argued.

“I’m happy to do whatever you want me to do,” Lucius said quickly, sensing that the prince and his father were about to be at odds on the issue. “But I hope I can at least see my grandfather first and take this treasure to him. He doesn’t even know I’m here.”

“Of course, of course!” the king cried. “I’ll have twelve men accompany you. But hurry back. Tonight we shall have a feast in your honor, Lucius, to celebrate this auspicious dream you’ve made clear to me!”

“Thank you, Sir,” Lucius replied, bowing.

Lucius turned to the prince as he prepared to return home. “Your cape,” he remembered, reaching for the cloak-pin.

Prince Sethian put his hand over his, smiling. “Keep it. It’s too big on you now. But you’ll grow into it.”

“I don’t know what to say. I’m honored.”

“You’ve made my father very happy,” Sethian replied.

What happened next seemed almost like a dream. The palace guards brought an ornamented handcart and had Lucius sit inside it while they carried him, along with his chest of gold, through the city to his grandfather’s house. As they approached the dwelling their neighbors came outside, gaping at the procession in disbelief.

Lucius got out of the handcart. “Wait here,” he told the guards.

“Who is that?” the neighbors asked one another. “Is that Lucius, Aquilla’s grandson?”

Lucius ignored their astonished stares and rushed inside the house.

“Lucius!” his grandfather yelled, his voice sharp with anger and worry. “Where have you been?”

“I’m sorry, grandfather,” Lucius answered, trying not to smile.

Theron and Laertes watched the scene with smirks on their faces, glad to see Lucius, for once, the target of their grandfather’s displeasure.

“Lucius, I’m surprised at you! You left without telling anyone where you are going! You—” He suddenly stopped, eyeing his cape with confusion. “What on earth are you wearing?”

“The prince’s cape, grandfather. But now it’s for you.” Lucius unfastened the cloak-pin and removed the cape, holding it out to the old man.

His grandfather stared at him, completely bewildered. “What are you talking about? Lucius! Did you steal the prince’s cape?”

“No, grandfather,” Lucius laughed. “I didn’t steal it.”

“What is going on? Where have you been?”

“I went to the palace, grandfather.”

“Lucius! I told you, you were NOT to join the Guards!”

“I didn’t join the Guards.”

Alysa stepped forward and took the cape, which Lucius was still holding out to his grandfather.

“This does seem like something the prince would wear,” she remarked. “Such beautiful trim. And look at this cloak-pin, grandfather!”

The old man shook his head. “I don’t understand. Why would you have the prince’s cape? And why did you go to the palace, then, if not to join the Guard?”

Lucius smiled. “To interpret the king’s dream. And…I did it!” He turned and walked back to the doorway, motioning to the guards to bring in the chest of gold.

Theron and Laertes stood with their mouths wide open as the men brought the chest into the room.

“You did it? You interpreted the king’s dream?” Alysa said, her eyes full of wonder.

Lucius only nodded, enjoying his grandfather’s look of astonishment, and then disbelief, and then—complete joy.

“Lucius! You’ve saved us!” the old man cried, putting his arms around the boy and holding him tight. “I might have known it would be you!”

Laertes and Theron watched this unfolding scene jealously, neither seeming as excited about the gold as Lucius might have anticipated.

“Now you won’t have to join the Guard,” Lucius explained, a little confused by his brothers’ unhappy expressions.

“Yes, you’ve saved the day,” Theron replied, his voice thick with venom.

The old man did not seem to notice his grandsons’ reactions, for he was far too elated. “What a day! Only a few hours ago we thought we’d lost everything, and now we’ve been blessed with this incredible fortune, thanks to our Creator, and to our Lucius!”

“Yes, hooray for Lucius,” Laertes said, as he shot him a malicious look.

Lucius frowned but wasn’t sure how to react. His grandfather hugged him again, kissing his cheek.

“What was the king’s dream?” Alysa asked. “Tell us, Lucius!”

“Yes, tell us,” the old man pressed.

“I’m not sure if I’m allowed to tell you,” Lucius answered. “And I can’t stay long. I’ve got to go back to the palace. The king says I’m to be his oracle now.”

The old man’s smile faded for a moment as he looked at his grandson with a look of sadness mixed with pride and love. “I should have known, Lucius, that your fate would be something beyond the ordinary. The Creator has great plans for you—the stars were aligned when you were born. Interpreting the dreams of kings! And now, you’re to be the king’s own oracle? Extraordinary! But, oh, my precious Lucius, I shall miss you dreadfully.”

“I’ll miss you, too,” Lucius agreed, his eyes filling with tears. “But surely you can come to the palace to visit me—all of you.”

Theron and Laertes, though still remarkably unenthusiastic about their sudden change of fortune, seemed a bit mollified by the news that Lucius would no longer be living with them.

“The king sent these guards to stay with you until you have a new place,” Lucius explained, motioning to the men who were standing outside the house. “He says you need them to guard this treasure.”

“A new place,” the old man repeated, as though not quite understanding.

“Yes, you can live anywhere you like now, grandfather—even close to the palace!”

“But I like living right here, next to the ocean.”

“Then perhaps you can build a new house here, or somewhere else on the beach,” Lucius suggested.

The old man broke out into a smile. “Yes, of course. I know just the place! And I’ll build a temple to the Creator to thank Him for blessing us so richly. But I’m not so sure you’re the best oracle, my dear Lucius.”

Lucius frowned. “What do you mean?”

“If I had listened to you, we would never have gone out today, and we would never have lost the boat. But then you would not have gone to the palace and brought back this treasure.”

“I didn’t think of it like that,” Lucius replied. “You’re right, grandfather. I had a bad feeling, but everything turned out for the best.” He found this realization comforting and resolved to remember it in the future. Perhaps he didn’t need to fear his dreams about Kamyrr’ah, or perhaps now that the king knew he needed to share his wealth and did so, the city was safe from destruction.

Or perhaps his dreams didn’t mean anything at all.

One of the guards motioned to Lucius.

“I have to go back to the palace now,” Lucius said. “The king is having a feast in my honor tonight.”

“A feast in your honor! Do you hear that, boys? Alysa?”

“I heard, grandfather,” Alysa answered, smiling proudly at her brother.

Theron and Laertes exchanged a look but said nothing.

“When I’m settled in, you can all come and visit me,” Lucius suggested.

The old man laughed, shaking his head. “If your father were still alive, Lucius—and your mother—they would have been as proud of you as I am. To think that we’ll be visiting you at the palace! I can hardly believe it.”

Lucius felt ready to burst from happiness. It felt so good to know that he had made his grandfather proud. He glanced at his brothers and felt some of his joy fade when he saw their sour expressions, but he was resolved not to let anything spoil the moment.

Surely once his brothers saw the advantages and luxuries their new wealth would bring them, they would soften toward him.

Lucius only wished the knot in his stomach would go away.



Sign up to rate and review this story