Categories > Games > Sonic the Hedgehog > Ordinary

You've Got a Friend in Me

by Catachresis 0 reviews

Tails is finally inducted as a Freedom Fighter, and as a celebration Sonic takes the new member on a fishing trip. While casting lines the pair reminisce about Tails's first mission, and how the fa...

Category: Sonic the Hedgehog - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Miles "Tails" Prower, Sonic - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-02-13 - Updated: 2006-02-14 - 4855 words

0Unrated
Alright, I wrote this songfic between breaks of other serious songfics Alright, I wrote this songfic between breaks of other serious songfics. In other words this is my scapegoat to writers blocks in serious scenes. Lighthearted a happy, this is my tribute to overall friendship and loyalty. I really gotta brush up on portrayal of those anyway. A Sonic and Tails friendship fic. . . So enjoy!

*********************************

Lyrics are copyright to Toystory, Pixar or whatever. Sonic and Co. belong to Sega.

This songfic is dedicated to Formerly Known As, for she inspired me to start and finish this fic. Also she's fun to talk to.

*********************************

It was almost noon, and the sun looked more ready to turn in than the two visitors it shined down upon. Light reflected off the surface of a giant lake, in the middle of which the two sat in a boat. It seemed that the sun didn't want to rise on that particular day, sleep in instead, and was just hanging around for the sake of those two, almost like it was hanging on the end of a hook and rod.

"Catch anything?" asked one.

"Nah, you?" replied the other.

"Just boredom," laughed the first. The second one joined in.

Silence settled in for a while. "Sonic?" spoke the second.

"Yeah?"

"Uh, aren't you worried?"

"About what? Look, if this is about the boat tipping over or anything. . ."

"No, no, it's not that," Tails quickly replied. "It's just taking a vacation at any time is a risk, isn't it?"

"Well I'm one to take risks, remember buddy?" laughed Sonic tussling Tails's ears.

"Yeah," the fox smiled. "Sally's gonna kill you for this. She might take me down with you."

"Nah, don't worry 'bout that. I'll just tell Sal that I dragged you out here. I'm used to her yelling anyways."

Tails laughed. "Yeah, a whole lot."

"Alright, you wanna go swimming back to shore?" joked Sonic giving Tails a small push that rocked the boat.

"I'll take you down with me, I swear!" Tails yelled back giving Sonic a push back.

"Hey! Not so rough! You'll make our poles fall overboard!" laughed Sonic grabbing the two long pieces of wood before they tipped over too much. With a smile he handed Tails's respectful pole back to him. By the time Tails grasped his fingers around it Sonic wrapped his arm around Tails's head.

"You just scared away all the fish!" Sonic yelled in fake anger while giving a faint squeeze. Tails tried pulling his head back, only getting him deeper into the headlock. When he was just about stuck, Sonic started rubbing his fist onto his forehead.

"Sonic! Quit it!" Tails's cried pulling back as much as he could. Finally Sonic let go, sending Tails falling back and hitting the rim of the boat. They swayed uncertainly, for a moment fearfully clutching onto the sides that they might be using to float back later. The swaying subsided, and the duo laughed to make for the moment of tenseness.

"Can't believe we've been out here since early morning and haven't caught a thing," chuckled Tails, still recovering from the laugh.

"Well. . .since all the fish are scared away," Sonic hinted at something, ". . .let's give them something to really be scared of!"

With that the hedgehog let out a scream, even rippling the water. Tails clutched his ears, but then saw the smile on Sonic's face and eyes inviting him to join. Tails opened his mouth and screamed right along, his high voice contrasting Sonic's and almost making a sort of twisted harmony. To even them out Sonic strained his voice to become higher pitched, reminding Tails of Amy. The fox smiled at the thought, taking a mental note to poke Sonic about it later.

/You've got a friend in me/

Soon they ran out of breath, collapsing the sound and gasping for breath. Looking over the edge Tails could see some fish swimming away in fright. Among his gasps a chuckle escaped.

"Great, now we're going to be hungry," Tails panted to Sonic who, though was very used to running out of breath, was still heaving his shoulders up and down. The hedgehog turned around to the fox and smiled.

"You want me to go hungry, don't you?" smiled Tails.

Sonic chuckled. "I don't know about you, but I don't want to go hungry. Want to try again?"

"The fish would be out of their minds to come back," Tails pointed out.

"Well, maybe we'll catch a loony fish that's as big as my head!" Sonic remarked, ever the optimist.

Tails smiled, casting his line out as far as he could. Maybe a few fish were insane enough to stay close enough. Tightening his grip on his pole, Tails looked over his shoulder to see Sonic doing the same only in the opposite direction. Silence came again, almost as if the noise had never existed.

/You've got a friend in me /

Tails knew that Sonic, above all people, deserved a vacation-or at least wanted one the most often. Memories surfaced of several arguments against Sally, who won every time. It was no surprise that Sonic had to sneak away; he'd never gain permission. He could never beat Sally in an argument anyway.

Tails's eyes strayed to the water reflecting the sun. The instant he looked over the sun's reflection shined right in his face, a sign of noon. Tails could feel his stomach aching for lunch and had the urge to just leap over and grab the fish out of the water.

It had been a long time since Tails had gone fishing, and this was a first he had gone alone with just Sonic. The Knothole had a river, but fish were much larger in the lake they were in-at least according to Sonic. Tails could only wonder how many times Sonic had snuck out here.

Tails was glad Sonic was sneaking past only Sally instead of a SWATbot or Robbotnik, though Sally could be dangerous in her own right. It was almost like playing an undercover mission, only minus the seriousness. Tails was glad for that. Knothole always had a serious air to it, even when little kids played around in the streets. In times of peace that air was still there, and he could remember all too vividly how tight it was when chaos struck the village.

Tails quickly shook those thoughts away, feeling his palms become sweaty and arms tense at the thought. He was here to relax after all, with no other than the relaxing king. There were also other reasons. This was, in a sort, his reward.

For his first mission in Robotropolis.




"Alright, everything's set and ready to go."

"I-I don't know about this Sonic," Tails stammered. Though he had dreamed of this moment for the past years in the Knothole his excitement had faded away with the sulfur and acid produced in the plants around him. From even Knothole forest Robotropolis looked black and bleak, but close up were other frightening factors. Tails just wanted to run home, though he couldn't muster up the strength to move. No matter how much he tried, he didn't want to run into it but couldn't muster up the courage to run out of it.

"What is it?" Sonic said with a bit of a hiss.

Tails gulped. "Are you sure they won't detect us?" Tails asked about the path they were going to take to get into Robotnik's factory. SWATbots swarmed around the entrance not to mention there was enough light for both of them to be seen, especially Tails with his orange fur.

Tails had only seen the outside horrors, and he didn't want to find out what the inside horrors would be.

/When the road looks rough ahead /

"Sure. Listen, when they change shifts that'll be our chance. Trust me. I've played both distracter and sneaker," Sonic assured. Tails gulped all too loud for the hero to hear.

"Hey, don't tell me that after all this time you've gotten cold feet?"

"More like run-away-feet."

Sonic frowned. "Look, I know you may not like this but we have only one chance. With your ability to fly we can destroy the new robotizer that Robotnik's cooked up. Even if you wanted to you couldn't turn back," Sonic added.

"I know," Tails said guiltily. Almost opening his mouth to say something more Tails slammed it shut. He really didn't want to spill his inner fears right then, especially to Sonic. He remembered when he first wanted to join the Freedom Fighters, begging them to let him go. Of course they shrugged him off, but when he kept coming back they tried scaring him out of membership. Tails recounted the stories they told him around the campfire with exaggerated details only influencing him to go more. Now those exaggerated stories came to life, and seemed more truthful. With all the frightening things here it was a wonder Sonic and the others came here so much. Tails could only guess they swallowed and let their duty take over. Why couldn't he just do the same thing?

/And you're miles and miles from your nice warm bed /

It was simple. He wasn't sure what his duty was. He knew it had something to do with destroying a robotizer, but if that was so then why only him and Sonic. Bunnie alone could infiltrate and destroy a robotizer easily. What was so special that they accepted him?

"Shouldn't be too much longer," Sonic whined looking down at his watch. Glancing over at Tails he saw the troubled expression and took it for first-mission-jitters. Sonic smiled and gave Tails a slap on the back.

"Don't worry, everything's been planned out by Sally and Nicole, after this everything will be easy," Sonic said smoothly.

"But. . .what if something goes wrong? What if we get caught? What if we can't destroy the robotizer or we die before we reach it? What if. . ."

Tails was cut off in mid-sentence with a wave of Sonic's hand. The sweeping gesture was something Sonic hardly did to any of his friends, usually saved for dialogue with Eggman, and any seriousness from Sonic wasn't to be taken lightly.

"Didn't know you were so pessimistic bud," Sonic smirked, the seriousness gone from his face. Tails slowly steadied his fears; inhaled deeply, then sucked his breath in for fear the SWATbots had heard them.

"Don't worry, metal butts are deaf," said Sonic pointing to his ear. Tails smiled with comfort.

"Now, I think that if we run just as they're changing posts we'll get through the door before they close it," said Sonic, eyeing the door when the next guard would soon come out.

"What if I'm not fast enough?" fretted Tails.

"I'm gettin' tired of the 'what ifs'," Sonic snapped. "I'll pull ya through if ya need me."

Tails nodded, pessimistic thoughts coming up again only with him and Sonic cornered with guns pointed at. . .

"Just trust me."

Sonic didn't turn his back to face Tails at all, but even without a face to look at Tails felt a wave of relief.

/You just remember what your old pal said/

"Now on the count of three we run out, just follow me," Sonic instructed holding his hand out for Tails to take.

"1. . ."

The SWATbot on guard looked around, obviously anxious to leave.

"2. . ."

The entrance doors to the factory swung open and the replacement guard walked out.

"3!"

With a tug from Sonic's instant acceleration Tails was whipped off his feet. Though the original plan was for both of them to run in, Tails could never find the speed to get back on the ground and keep up with Sonic. He was reduced to a flag fluttering in the wind.

The duo made it through the doors easily enough, and the SWATbots were none the wiser.

/Boy, you've got a friend in me /



"So where's the robotizer located?" Tails asked once they were safely inside, the doors shut behind them.

"In the back, like always; they never keep these things near the entrance," grinned Sonic. The pair strode out into the maze of boxes and metal after that.

The first part had gone incredibly well, all done according to plan with none of the screw-ups Tails feared. It would only be a little while longer until he could leave this place and be back home. Right then Tails just wanted to kiss the stump that lead into Knothole.

"Geez, look at these things," Sonic interrupted the silence, as always. Tails looked up to see the vats full of boiling hot metal used to make more SWATbots. "You'd figure we could just destroy these factories and wipe out thousands of bots rather than just one robotizer."

"Still, Sally told us it was a powerful new version," Tails argued. "It could be more threat to us than the SWATs."

"Anything is more of a threat than the SWATs," sighed Sonic. Tails smiled.

/Yeah, you've got a friend in me/

A laser shot burned one of the pipes not far from Sonic's head. Tails whirled around, while Sonic stayed composed with his back to the intruders. After all, he knew from experience it could only be one thing.

It wasn't long later the SWATbots fired, missing all the shots from their bad programmed aim. Sonic leapt nimbly out of the way while Tails dove behind a crate. Tails brought his knees to his chest and closed his hands over his ears, waiting for the noise of the destructive beams to cease. After a while Tails noticed that they weren't firing at him at all. All three SWATbots had turned their sights on Sonic, who was doing his usual acrobatics to dodge. They led him over to a nearby wall, where they cornered him with laser shots but not as much that he couldn't dodge. Suddenly, the SWATbots stopped firing and put their guns to their sides. Sonic stopped in mid-pose, blinking in shock. With a sudden jolt the floor beneath him slid away, and Sonic fell down a metal shaft going who-knows-where. Tails could only watch in horror as Sonic disappeared and the floor slid back over. The SWATbots moved away, completely forgetting about him. Tails was glad the SWATbots were so stupid. He waited until their shadows had gone away.

He slowly made his way to the ground Sonic had stood on, now seeing a square marking where the floor slid back. Tails picked his foot up, closed his eyes, and stomped down as hard as he could.

Tails gritted his teeth, waiting his fall. Nothing happened. All he heard was the echoing sound going through the shaft underneath. Looking around not so much as one SWATbot came to the sound. Tails could only blink stupidly. There had to be a switch, or button, or guard. . .

It's almost like security wanted to be surpassed. . .

He knew it was too easy. Tails instantly bolted, aiming, for once, to find the nearest SWATbot.

/You've got a friend in me /




"How good of you to drop by Sonic," Robotnik hissed over the console. The hedgehog leaned back onto the wall of the tube, crossing his arms defiantly across his chest. Sure he was cornered, but he'd never give Robotnik the pleasure of watching him squirm.

"How dare you avert your eyes from me!" Robotnik yelled enraged. "In this moment I am your master!"

Sonic spat, though the saliva only made it as far as the glass casing. Sonic smiled regardless. The spit had landed right where he saw Eggman's face, blocking it out.

"So, a hero till the end?" Robotnik glared at Sonic, though Sonic could see his face being twisted by the spit. "How dare you laugh at me?" Sonic only snickered louder.

"Fine then! You'll be a laughing robot!" Robotnik screamed, walking back to where, Sonic assumed, a control room was. Sonic shrugged his shoulders casually, and waited until the doctor disappeared behind the door.

All panic broke loose.

Sonic slammed his fists on the glass, kicked it, tried to spindash it. . .no use. Sweat poured down Sonic's face, his breath fogging up the glass. He pressed his nose to the glass, determined to get a most accurate view of his surroundings before he saw the world through steel eyes.

Suddenly the light in the room flickered, and then died. Sonic pressed his ear to the tube. He could hear Robotnik yelling at Snivly about the mess. Sonic could only wonder what was going on. He was stuck in a robotizer tube in the dark. At least he wouldn't have to go through the pains of watching his body change.

"Psst," hissed a voice underneath him. Sonic nearly jumped at how close it was.

"It's me, Tails!"

/You've got a friend in me/

"Tails?" Sonic hissed back through the glass, loud so Tails could hear it on the other side.

"Yeah!"

"How'd you find your way here?" Sonic voiced showed urgency.

"SWATbot told me as I totaled him," Tails said happily, in a bit of rejoice awaiting praise.

"That's nice, but Robotnik's gonna come back here ya know?"

"That's why I cut off the power."

Sonic smiled at the ingenuity. "Good, get me out of here then!"

"Will do!"

Sonic wasn't sure what Tails was doing at the base of the robotizer, though he hoped the fox could work in the dark.

With a sudden surge the light returned to the room. Tails froze over the console. A door slammed open behind them. Tails didn't have to turn around, but saw the look on Sonic's face to tell him whom it was.

"What're you doing here!" roared Robotnik, making his way to the fox.

/If you've got troubles, I've got 'em too/

Tails gulped, imagining the overlord approaching him though he had yet to see Robotnik with his own eyes. In fact, he had yet to see Robotnik at all. None of the Freedom Fighters dared to describe how he looked, except Sonic by giving the dictator a fitting nickname.

Tails looked down to see a looming shadow in front of him. He could make out some distinguishing features, a prominent nose and a mustache of some sort along with hair sticking out to the sides. Tails's eyes scanned for any nearby door to run to, but his eyes fell on Sonic still in the tube. Tails gulped bravely and turned around, ready to face Robotnik and any SWATbot.

/There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you/

"Now you listen Robotnik. . ." Tails started before getting a look at the evil tyrant. What he saw wasn't a man who looked pure evil, but more like a clown sans the white make-up. All fear was gone. Tails burst out laughing.

Robotnik's look became one of pure disgust. "What are you laughing at?" he bellowed.

"Y-y-you," Tails managed to utter, now clutching his stomach.

"What?" Robotnik recoiled in rage. "I, little boy, am the one who will be your demise. I will destroy you!"

Tails looked up into Robotnik's menacing face, only for his cheeks to puff out and explode with laughter. It wasn't long until Sonic joined in, and even Snivly from behind Robotnik-though a glare made him stop.

"How would you like to be put in a tube after you friend here!" Robotnik hissed at the fox. Tails tried to gain composure.

"I-I-It won't happen," he stammered out, the seizures of laughter fading away.

"Oh really?" said Robotnik acknowledging the challenge. "Why not then?"

Tails slyly brought one finger over the console. "Because he's not in the tube anymore."

With the press of a button the tube lifted up, and Sonic stood tall and proud in front of Robotnik with Tails smirking below him.

/We stick together and can see it through/

Before any words could be exchanged Sonic kicked the robotizer console into a wall, grabbed Tails and darted for the nearest exit. As they left Tails could hear Robotnik's screams for backup.

"Why're we leaving, Sonic?" Tails asked Sonic, who was carrying him over his shoulder.

"We're here on a search and destroy," Sonic panted, "not a stand-up-to-Robotnik mission."

Tails nodded, remembering their cause and frowning from letting his ego get the best of him. The feel of standing up to the feared man was just too great to resist.

"Nice work back there," Sonic commented him. Tails smiled back.

/Cause you've got a friend in me/

It wasn't long until Robotnik's backup came. A quad of SWATbots, making Tails wonder why the deity never chased after them himself. Girth or not, the man still had legs.

"Alright, which way out?" Sonic asked him hastily while still running.

"Um," Tails thought trying to remember which way he had come though all the hallways were speeding past them. "That one," Tails said pointing to a random hallway that looked familiar.

/You've got a friend in me/

"Well, we're on the right track," said Sonic putting Tails down. It was the same room they had been in before; Tails clearly recognized the giant vats. The fox sighed in relief he had chosen the right door. A clank of a metal foot snapped Sonic out of his daze, pulling Tails behind the nearest vat and hiding from the SWATbots.

"How're we gonna get outta this?" Sonic whispered to Tails. The fox looked around, finally spying a computer console next to a vat within reach.

"That!" pointed Tails, rushing out of his hiding place and poking at the console.

"Tails! What're you doing?" yelled Sonic, urging him to come back before he was spotted. Tails instantly began poking away at the keys, but not before the SWATbots had already seen him. They were running towards him now, laser guns out and ready to fire. Tails's fingers moved rapidly, making the fox forget if he'd made any typos or not. Sonic still hid behind the vat, preparing to yank Tails back at the last moment as part of a lesson for running out. With a loud creak the vat above them stirred, stopping the SWATbots dead in their tracks. The vat swayed, until finally tipping over and pouring its boiling contents on the metal soldiers. Tails gave a cry of triumph while Sonic let out a sigh of relief.

/Some other folks might be a little bit smarter than I am/

"Way to go little bud!" Sonic cheered slapping Tails a high-five. Tails blushed. "Now c'mon, we gotta get outta here." Tails nodded his head, spinning his tails to keep up with Sonic.

Finally finding their way out of the factory the duo assumed clear out running until they reached the outside. While turning a corner they found another quad of SWATbots waiting, guns charged and aimed. Sonic easily dove out of the way of the first shot, Tails barely managed to duck back the second.

"What're we gonna do, Sonic?" Tails urged. With only a corner, nothing to hide behind and laser fire it was hard to get past. The hedgehog thought for a second, before snapping his fingers.

"Leave it to me," he said confidently, instantly running out into the fray. Tails reached his hand out in an attempt to pull Sonic back, though even if he could reach him Sonic would've pulled him off his feet. Tails watched breathlessly as Sonic dodged all four laser blasts and sliced through the SWATbots, making the running horizontally on the wall and pummeling the SWATbots look as simple as flying a kite. Tails felt envy surge up, along with the feeling of how weak he was.

/Bigger and stronger too, maybe/

Tails sighed and slumped back on the wall. The crunches of the SWATbot remains came to his ears, proof that Sonic was finished and waiting for him. When the fox didn't appear around the corner, Sonic worriedly zipped back to find Tails sitting down leaning against the wall while staring at the floor.

"What's up?"

"You should just leave me here. You should've never taken me in the first place," Tails mumbled.

"Hey! Now what did I tell you about those pessimistic thoughts?" Sonic said, imitating Sally. Tails didn't laugh, but sighed instead.

"I know why you never used to take me on missions, you really meant it that I wasn't strong enough."

"It wasn't that you weren't strong enough," Sonic sighed, getting down on one knee. "It was because you were so young. We didn't want you to grow up too fast because of the war. We wanted you to be like a normal kid; me, Sally and the Freedom Fighters all agreed on that."

Tails looked up. "That was it?"

"Yeah," Sonic said guiltily.

"You thought I was a baby or something?" Tails bounced back to his feet puffing out his chest and rising on his toes.

"Well you aren't any more, are you?" Sonic chuckled.

"Guess not," answered Tails, releasing all air and extra height.

"C'mon, let's get going. Whadaya say?"

"Sure!"

/But none of them will ever love you the way I do/

"Sonic?"

"Yeah Tails?"

"Will you promise not to tell Aunt Sally about how scared I was? I don't want her to think I'm still a kid."

"Only if you promise not to tell her I got stuck in a robotizer."

"Deal!"

"Heh, ya know? This may be the start of many missions to come."

/It's me and you boy,/



"Hey! I got something!"

"Lemme see!"

"Hold on, I gotta pull him out first!"

"Heh, you were right Sonic. You did catch a fish crazy enough to come back as big as your head!"

"And what did I tell you?"

/And as the years go by/

Tails tucked the fishing rods away while Sonic secured the boat. The fish had already been wrapped up, and had probably dead by then. Sunset was imminent, the hook finally casting away the sun. The orange effects of light had wonders on Tails. It seemed as if he didn't need any other form of camouflage other than his fur. Smiling, the fox thought about raiding Robotropolis at sunset without fear of being spotted. Sonic himself stuck out like a sore thumb in all the hot colors. The way the reds played on his fur made the hedgehog seem more red than blue. It was hard to tell the hedgehog was once ever blue. Tails snickered at more of Sonic's resemblance to Amy. Tails wondered if that was how obvious he himself usually looked in the daytime next to Sonic.

"Sally's gonna maul you," Tails warned.

"Well, at least she can't be mad that we didn't get anything outta it," smiled Sonic holding up his catch. Tails snickered.

"You can never not make her mad."

"If Sally was like you, my ears wouldn't ring so much."

/Our friendship will never die/

"Hey Sonic?"

"Yeah?"

"Think she'll ever let us go on missions together again?"

"Maybe, if we keep the promises we made back there."

"Yeah, that might be our only hope."

"Between you and me I don't know who she thinks is more immature."

"I think it's you."

"I thought you'd say that. That's how mature I am!"

"Surree. Hey Sonic?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm glad. . .that you took me out here."

"No prob, maybe we can come back some other time."

"Yeah."

"Not to sound cheesy or anything, but as long as we're friends we'll keep coming back here."

/You're gonna see it's our destiny/

"That did sound cheesy."

"Shut up!"

/You've got a friend in me/

"You know, now that it's you and me, Robotnik's got double trouble!"

"Yeah! We'll teach him to fear my name!"

"All fear the powerful and mighty, Miles!"

"Sonic!"

/You've got a friend in me/

"All right, all fear the powerful and mighty Tails!"

"Much better."

"Geez, makes you sound like Robotnik."

"It does. . .Sonic?"

"Yeah?"

"Never say 'powerful' and 'mighty' in the same sentence, gives me the creeps."

"Sure, will do."

/You've got a friend in me/

*********************************

I like the way this songfic turned out. It wasn't hard to write but a nice refreshing jolt. I've got a few other serious fanfictions to upload so this is my relief.

Everyone excited that Sonic X airs in the U.S. in a month or so? Yeah, lot of nods there. Everybody looking forward to something? Anyone looking forward to hearing the voices?

I'm looking forward to seeing who'll portray Shadow and Sonic in the English version. I like the Japanese voice of Sonic, but I doubt they'd give the blue blur Urckle's voice again, especially with Sonic's new image.

As for the other characters I'd recommend: Peggy O'Neal as the voice of Cream, Brianne Siddall as Tails, Wendee Lee as Rouge, maybe Lia Sargent or Bridget Hoffman as Amy. . .

As a strong request I'd like Steven Blum to possibly play the role as Shadow. When I first heard of the anime and that Shadow was going to be in it I immediately thought of the same actor who played the role of Spike Spiegel. (Copyright Sunrise or whoever)

Yeah, just a thought. Hopefully another songfic soon, maybe a more serious one next time. Ttfn!
Sign up to rate and review this story