Categories > Books > Lord of the Rings > The Lord of the Jewels

Leaving Middle-earth

by digdigil 0 reviews

Frodo, Bilbo, Elrond and Galadriel leave for Valinor. In Ithilien, Legolas has been busy setting up his new kingdom. Gimli arrives with an invitation.

Category: Lord of the Rings - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Fantasy, Horror - Characters: Aragorn, Arwen, Bilbo, Elrond, Frodo, Galadriel, Gandalf, Gimli, Legolas, Merry, Pippin, Sam, Other - Warnings: [?] [V] [X] - Published: 2006-02-13 - Updated: 2006-02-13 - 4589 words

-1Boring
Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf, Galadriel and Elrond arrive on the shores of Tol Eressea.

~~~

Frodo leaned against the wooden rail of the great white ship leading him away from his old life. Tears started to flow only as he looked back toward the Grey Havens. He had not cried up to that point, as he had wanted to remain strong in front of the others aboard ship. His friends, Samwise, Merry and Pippin, were becoming small dots, withdrawing before his eyes upon the dove-grey wharf, and slowly became invisible as a fine grey mist enveloped all that Frodo could finally see of Middle-earth. One by one, each ultimate piece of scenery disappeared as if blinked away, and his friends' faces appeared for the final time, frozen in his memory. Then he saw the majestic, flowing architecture of the Grey Havens beyond the wharf, the grey stone walls etched indelibly in his mind. The definitive thing he saw was the clear, still water of the harbour, pooled outward toward him like a looking glass, mirroring for his eyes the last sight of Middle-earth, and then all was gone.

Gandalf's strong voice fell upon the weary Frodo's ears. "Frodo, you are full of sorrow", the wizard said, "but all sorrow is not bad, and in time you will feel better about having to leave your friends behind. Remember that there is an entire new world that awaits you ahead, and do not forget that Samwise will be joining you in the Undying Lands, in his own time."

Frodo heard all that Gandalf said, but his tears would not stop falling. He felt pain at that moment, pain in many ways, both physical and psychological. It would be a long time before he would be able to think back upon his past life without feeling that pain, so profound it was.

With a sigh, he turned away from the view of the receding land where Middle-earth lay, and his gaze fell upon his uncle Bilbo. The old hobbit was making the trip to the Undying Lands with Frodo and the others and was now dozing on a tiny bench upholstered in soft, grey silk, which looked as puffy as a cloud. Frodo's heart leapt at the sight of Bilbo. "All of my friends have not been left behind, after all", he thought. His loving gaze turned from Bilbo to the Lady Galadriel, who was passing by on the other side of the ship. She turned to smile at Frodo. She looked fragile and ethereal as she floated along the ship's deck, her feet barely touching the ground. Frodo noticed with great interest how, in that moment, Galadriel and Bilbo looked alike, with a remote haziness, as if they were almost not really there. Frodo wondered if he, himself, appeared that way to others. "Are we actually dead or dying?" he thought. "Bilbo and Galadriel look like people you dream about after they have passed away. When you wake up from dreaming about them, you realize with a start that they are gone, yet there is a fleeting moment where you feel you can still reach out and touch them and hear the echo of their voice."

Elrond came to stand beside Frodo. "You are in the company of friends, Frodo", he said. "We are going to a better place". The elf drew back his grey mantle, and smiled. "Let me sing a song to soothe your weary spirit along the way", and brought forth his silver harp. He began to play a soft melody on it, and accompanied his playing with a song, in elvish, which had the effect of helping Frodo to forget his sorrows for the moment. It was a song that Frodo had heard before, in Rivendell, that told of Eärendil the Mariner. Frodo knew that Eärendil was Elrond's father, and the sweet song caused him to smile as he gazed up at the Elf-lord. Frodo began then to forget his own sadness and he thought of Elrond's father as he listened to the wonderful words.

"Eärendil was a mariner
That tarried in Arvernien;
He built a boat of timber felled
In Nimbrethil to journey in;

Her sails he wove of silver fair,
Of silver were her lanterns made,
Her prow was fashioned like a swan,
And light upon her banners laid."*

After he had finished, Elrond said: "I go to Valinor in hope of meeting again with my parents, Earendil and Elwing, although I do not hold much hope in my heart that we will be reunited. They are both doomed to fly the skies and light the way for others, and cannot live a normal life, as normal as life can be in the Undying Lands. I understand your mourning for those you have left behind, Frodo, but I mourn also, for those who lie ahead. It sounds odd to say, I know, but that is the truth". He turned and went away to the front of the ship, and Frodo's gaze followed him with a puzzled look in his eyes.

A warm, refreshing breeze was on the air. A gust of wind from the sea suddenly arose and the gently cleansing air uplifted the heavy feeling in Frodo's heart. He felt as if it were trying to sweep away his sadness. The white ship was moving swiftly now, onwards and upwards into the western sky. A grey mist rose up with it, arising out of the sea, and enveloped the ship in its shroud. Frodo found himself drifting slowly away, from all thought, all consciousness, and finally, all of his life. Everyone on board the ship fell into a deep, replenishing sleep.

During the voyage, everyone dreamt profoundly of the past, of the people and places they once knew. Gandalf's dreams reflected upon the fragility of Middle-earth and how close it had come to being altogether destroyed. Now he was able to leave that world behind because it was about to bask in the dawning spring of its new age and was coming to a time when it would no longer need the ancient people of the Eldar to guide it. They had not done such a good job anyway, he thought. Memories of the strong and heroic people left behind, flooded into Gandalf's thoughts. King Elessar, with his benevolence, his healing powers and his love of all the peoples, flora and fauna of Middle-earth, would be the perfect ruler for the beginning of this new age. He would be joined in his endeavours by many friends, all working together for the common purpose of rebuilding their various countries and lands torn apart by wars and battles.

King Eomer of Rohan possessed the strength and fairness to lead his people to prosperity. His sister Eowyn, now married to Prince Faramir, was gentle, kind and intelligent, as was her husband, and together should make wonderful ambassadors to go forward into distant lands and attempt to bring them together with the alliance of Rohan and Gondor.

The hobbits of the Shire, Merry and Pippin, indomitable of spirit, should also make fine goodwill ambassadors. As did all hobbits, they possessed a love of history and geography and a love of people of all kinds, even though it was not in the hobbit nature to wish to venture forward to discover new places or people. Samwise Gamgee, loyal and steadfast, while still living on Middle-earth, would thrive as mayor of Hobbiton for many years to come, and sire a huge, loving family.

Gimli, the dwarf, a great warrior, proved he had the strength of mind to overcome his bigotry and stubbornness in order to befriend people of other races. He had truly grown enough that he could become a fine leader of his own realm. And lastly, Gandalf reflected upon Gimli's friend Legolas, an elf-warrior of skill, grace and beauty, who was so beloved by his friends that they prevented him from leaving Middle-earth when he had heard the call of the sea. He had been left behind for the time being, torn as he was between his elvishness and the humanity that he embraced.
With evil banished finally from Middle-earth, there was no need for the protection any longer of more than one Maiar spirit. In fact, two had been left behind to watch over Middle-earth now. Iarwin Ben-Adar and his wife Goldberry had moved from Eriador to the forests among the far western mountain ranges.

After an unknown length of time had passed, Gandalf awakened from his dreams in time to announce that land was in sight. "Behold! The golden shores of Tol Eressea!" he called out joyously. Frodo and Bilbo awoke too, and joined him at the ship's bow, and looked out upon the welcoming shoreline, which was bathed in a golden light. Then, the white ship descended, and touched down softly upon the outlying waters of Tol Eressea, the Lonely Isle. All of the ship's passengers gathered at the bow and held hands, and looked out with wonder at the unknown future, which lay ahead of them.

Chapter One

Legolas Greenleaf

In the year 1480 by the Shire Reckoning or Year 58 of the Fourth Age, Legolas Greenleaf, previously of Mirkwood Forest, dismounted at his stables in Ithilien, gliding off his horse, Arod, and patting its neck as he did so. "Go now, Arod", he whispered to this very special horse, a gift to him from King Eomer of Rohan, to reward his assistance and valour during the War of the Ring. "Please return to Edoras for now, then come back to me in a fortnight". Arod neighed at him, and with a swish of his white tail, he galloped off.

This horse had been through many battles and adventures with Legolas and the two could not remain parted for long. Arod had come originally from Rohan, and every now and then he would return to the stables of the King in Edoras for a short while. Then he would always return to the home of his real master, who was now the new elven-king of the realm of Ithilorien, a land that he had been awarded by King Elessar of Gondor within the forest of Ithilien.

Legolas and Aragorn had fought long about this. The Elf did not wish to have any title or special privilege of royalty bestowed on him. While he cherished the idea of, and was instrumental in bringing Elves from the war-battered realms of Mirkwood, Rivendell and Lothlorien to establish a new realm in Ithilien, he did not like to be called "King", or "Your Majesty", or any other royal title by anyone. These Elves had worked hard to turn that part of the forest into a beautiful colony such as had existed in Lothlorien and Rivendell of old. King Elessar had given him a glade in which to live within the forest of Ithilien, so that he and his colony of elves could rebuild and restore it to its former splendour. Legolas named the area Ithilorien, in order to pay tribute to the golden realm of Lothlorien, which had all but been destroyed during the War of the Ring by Sauron's forces. It was now a deserted place, with its ruler, the Lady Galadriel, having gone herself to the Undying Lands and her husband, Lord Celeborn, had moved his rule to East Lorien in a part of Mirkwood. King Elessar had awarded the rule of the lands of Ithilien, surrounding Ithilorien, to Prince Faramir, who was now the steward of Gondor.

Legolas had been born in the city of Gondolin** in Beleriand, a land that was no more. He and his father, Thranduil, had escaped from Gondolin during its siege, before it fell to the forces of the evil Vala Morgoth. Legolas was gifted with night vision, and had led the exiles from Gondolin to Mirkwood Forest, where his father established a new realm of woodland elves. King Thranduil had long now departed Middle-earth, leaving his son Legolas to rule all the Silvan elves who remained there.

The Silvan elves were a scattered people, considered to be the lowest in stature of all the elves, although they knew among themselves that, sickened by war, they had deliberately separated themselves from the other elven divisions in order to live in peace among the woodlands and forests of the world. Legolas knew that within Ithilien once had been a beautiful forest, but it had suffered much damage during the terrible times that had led up to the War of the Ring. Therefore, he believed that the Silvans he brought there, understanding and loving the trees as they did, would be able to repair and heal much of the vast and terrible destruction done to the forest by Sauron's orcs. Armies of evil soldiers coming up from the south and the east had also trampled through it, cutting down its trees and slaughtering its animals and birds for food or for sport.

Where Lothlorien had been rich with golden mallorn trees and the yellow flowers called elanor, Ithilien was full of birch trees and white flowers. Legolas was committed to keeping Ithilien white in color, in order to honour the White Tree of Gondor. He and his elves planted many silver birch trees and the white flower called niphredil, which ran in great swaths through the forest. Niphredil was an ancient flower, which had first appeared in the forest of Neldoreth in Beleriand, when Luthien Tinuviel lived there.

The river Anduin ran through the middle of the forest of Ithilien, and more and more creatures of the water had settled beside it once again as the orcs and other evil creatures disappeared. Birds such as swans and animals like river otters came to live along its banks once more, after disappearing for many years because of the battles being fought there.

Legolas's elves replaced and rebuilt some of the old Gondorian structures and statues that had been damaged or destroyed during the dark days. There were now new bridges fashioned out of white wrought iron and birch wood, crossing streams whose banks were now lush with reeds and flowers such as the fragrant lotus that gave off its exotic scent, and on whose surfaces floated white water lilies. Swans swam freely in the rippling waters, and many frogs chirped in nearby pools. Legolas lived in a large, open house through which the soft, warm breezes blew off of the water. It was fronted by four white marble pillars, which were etched with streaks of black that made them resemble the birch trees that surrounded the house. Along its sides were white twisted metal fences and arbours of silver, overflowing with white climbing roses and other vines. A wide road led up to the front entrance and was bordered on both sides by white-flowering shrubbery. Everywhere that one looked were beautiful gardens and pathways to stroll along. Many fragrant flowers grew there, such as lilies, nicotiana, sweet alyssum, jasmine and gardenias with their mingled fragrances providing heady aromas for the visitors who were encouraged to walk among them. Not only white flowers grew there, but also a few of yellow and pink, in order to add some color here and there.

There was no door or gate to Legolas's house. It was entirely open in the front and back. Visitors entered through the pillars at the front and came directly into a large foyer of white marble walls and floor. Designs of green trailing ivy were painted on the walls, and every other tile on the floor was painted with the insignia of the house of the Tree, of Gondolin, in green and gold. White curtains separated the foyer from the rest of the house, and also separated each individual room. Legolas believed in openness, personal freedom, and the right of passage for every living being in his realm. He neither needed nor wanted any private space for himself. After living under shadow and oppression for so long, and having to hide from enemies had left him with a desire to live in complete freedom, bound not even by the walls of his home.

He did not need to sleep, being an elf, but as he did not now have the need to stay alert at all times, he found that he usually liked to go to bed at night-time, and if he did not sleep, he would simply lie peacefully and enjoy the sounds of the night. His bed was fashioned out of birch and covered with soft, white, silk sheets. The other inhabitants of the house, who worked with him and had various chores to do around the realm, gave him privacy of their own accord, out of respect for him, but he asked for none. Animals wandered in and out as they pleased, and it was not unusual at any time to see a dog chase a rabbit through the house, from one end to the other.

On a beautiful, breezy morning in late summer, Legolas awoke to find a young maid standing at the foot of his bed. She had come a few years ago from the city of Minas Tirith to live in his household, and she did most of the cooking and tended a small garden just outside the back entrance. She had told Legolas that she had originally escaped from Lothlorien during one of the sieges by Sauron's forces. She was golden-haired and fresh-faced, with pink cheeks unusual in an elf, who almost always had pale complexions.

"Fingalas? What is it?" Legolas was startled, and sat up in bed.

"My Lord", she said softly, "I am sorry to disturb you, but a visitor has arrived and he asked me to wake you". She had been standing at the foot of the bed watching Legolas sleep for a while, before he sensed her presence and was startled awake.

Legolas wound a silken sheet around his body as he stepped out of bed. He picked up a silver flask of water from his nightstand with a graceful sweep of his slender arm, and took a sip. "Do you know this visitor's name, Fingalas?" he asked.

"It is your friend, Gimli", replied Fingalas, blushing a little. "He apologizes for waking you so early but he has only now arrived from the White City".

"Gimli!" Legolas cried, joyful at hearing his name. He had not seen his friend for many months. "Please ask him to make himself comfortable. Would you bring him some food and drink if he wishes, and tell him I will be but a moment, Fingalas?"

Fingalas nodded and passed from view in a billow of blue cloth, and Legolas washed his face and hands with water from a silver basin. Rather than taking the time to get dressed, he wrapped himself in the sheet tightly, and ran to see Gimli right away.

Fingalas had bid the dwarf be seated on a bench in the hallway, and was talking to him as Legolas emerged from his bedroom. "Some refreshment will be brought for you in a moment, Sir", she smiled as she spoke, and "My Lord Legolas should be with you as soon as he is ready."

Gimli looked up to see Legolas approaching in his bedsheet and his amusement made him grow alert as he thought of a comment he could make in jest to the Elf. "Have I come at an awkward moment?" he asked.

"Awkward? No, not at all", Legolas replied. He was beaming with joy at seeing his old companion, and not as a result of Gimli's joke.

Fingalas blushed, and ran toward the kitchen area.

Legolas, his hair tousled, brushed the long strands away from his face as he slid onto the bench beside Gimli. "My friend, it is good to see you", he said.

"And you, Legolas, my lad", grinned Gimli. "I was just speaking to your pretty lady friend", he said, winking.

"Why are you winking at me?" asked Legolas, adjusting his bedsheet.

"That pretty lady seems to fancy you", Gimli cajoled him. "Have you and she been up to something this morning? Have I interrupted you?"

"No, Gimli! You are far off the track! Fingalas has been with us for a long time. She does not have a fancy for me. She takes care of my house and garden, and therefore is around me a great deal of the time."

"Oh, I see. Well, perhaps you should not run around naked. Then she would be less likely to notice you!"

"I do not run around naked!"

"What do you call that?" asked Gimli.

"I am wearing a sheet!" exclaimed Legolas.

"Oh, and that is appropriate clothing for the daytime, is it?" retorted Gimli. "She blushed also, when I spoke to her about you", he said.

"She always looks as if she is blushing", replied Legolas. " It is her coloring".

Fingalas then returned with a tray of refreshments for Gimli, and both elf and dwarf watched her with interest as she walked toward them. Their stares were not lost on her, and she blushed profusely as she concentrated on putting one foot in front of the other, and on not dropping the tray.

"Thank you, my lass", said Gimli, as Fingalas set the refreshments down successfully on a table beside the bench, and turned to flee back to the kitchen with the tray.

"Fingalas", Legolas spoke, and she stopped abruptly, trying not to let the jerking motion of her body jolt the tray out of her hands. "Do you think you could do something with my hair, please? It is constantly getting in my face. I confess I came out in such a rush to see Gimli that I did not take the time to tie it back". Fingalas nodded, and went toward Legolas's bedroom.

Gimli looked at Legolas and shook his head. "My friend, you worry me", he said. "You constantly complain to me that the women chase you, and yet you seem to do everything that you can to attract them".

"I have no idea what you mean", replied Legolas, surprised. While many women among elves and humans both were attracted to him, Legolas had lived a long time and had been through many battles, and war had left him emotionally distant. He had withdrawn into a reflective, philosophic Elf whose mind was on other things than love and marriage. He desired neither, and in fact found himself involved in a new conflict; the constant struggle with his newly found sea-longing, an affliction that he fought on a daily basis.

"No, I can see that you don't", said Gimli. "You are ever the elusive elf. It is no matter. I have come today at Aragorn's request, to invite you to Minas Tirith for a few days or so. He says he wants you to hear a new minstrel that is visiting them for a while. It seems that she is one of the wandering elves, and was discovered while traveling through Rohan. The Lady Eowyn speaks very highly of her singing talent. It is, apparently, very special, and Aragorn thought that you would like to hear her and meet her".

"That sounds very interesting, but I cannot go just now, I am afraid", said Legolas. "There is much I must do here yet before I can go away again. Did you not wish to continue our travels in the fall, and go to visit Moria as we had planned?"

Legolas and Gimli had planned for a long time to return to the Misty Mountains in order to explore Moria again. They were to visit each other's choice of places and had already traveled through Fangorn Forest, where Legolas had wished to visit, but they had not continued on through Moria. He had wanted to put off this trip until he was less busy with matters in his own new realm.
Gimli wished to visit Moria before winter set in. He had been living in the Glittering Caves of Helm's Deep in Rohan, to be nearer to the friends he had made during the years of the Fellowship of the Ring, but now he desired to travel once more with his old friend the Elf. "Legolas, I have grown impatient with sitting still", said Gimli. "I would like to start our travels again now, and traveling would take you away from the women for a while".

"There are women also in Minas Tirith, and everywhere", Legolas retorted. He had discovered that since the War had ended, many women seemed to be looking around them for eligible men to marry and start having families with. Many females, both human and elf would approach him constantly. Mothers would bring their daughters to be introduced to him. Handmaidens of Arwen's court would give her notes to pass on to him, knowing that he was a good friend of hers, and that she was always willing to do this favour for them. Secretly she enjoyed teasing her old friend and seeing his mild discomfort.
He did not wish for that much attention at this time, because there were so many things that he wanted to accomplish, things that had not been possible for many years because of the Shadow of Sauron and the ensuing War. He wanted to finish building Ithilorien and establish a colony of elves there. He was also struggling with his innate desire to leave Middle-earth and sail over the sea to the Undying Lands, a desire that had been awakened in him since the end of the War. He struggled daily with this desire to leave, but also with his subconscious longing to stay in Middle-earth, until his human friend Aragorn, King Elessar of Gondor, passed away from old age.

However, Legolas was an immortal elf, and since the elves had been in decline for a long time, most of them having departed Middle-earth, he lacked the desire for marriage and children that humans possessed. There were no more elf children being born. Elves could still fall in love and have normal loving relationships with each other, but they had forsaken their ability to be fruitful and bear children.

Fingalas returned with a silver hairbrush in her hand.

"My Lord, would you like to come to your room now, and I will do your hair?" she enquired.

Legolas watched her approach, and turned to Gimli. "All right, Gimli, let us go to Minas Tirith, if you are able to stay here for a fortnight. I sent Arod back to Edoras a few days ago, and we must wait for him to return before we can leave on a long journey. I would not ride any other horse but him. Please have some breakfast and wait for me while I get dressed in appropriate clothes for the daytime!" He smiled broadly. "I shall not be long".

~~~
LOTR (Alan Lee Illustrated Edition):

P. 1066: "Elrond -- a silver harp was in his hand --".

P. 1068: "-- there was a White Ship lying -- Then Frodo kissed Merry and Pippin, and last of all Sam, and went aboard --".

Since JRRT described Legolas as being fair of face, it seemed likely that he would be attractive to women, especially after the War when people could return to normal lives.

*These are the first two stanzas of the song that Frodo heard Bilbo singing in Rivendell. From Page 250 of LOTR (Alan Lee Illustrated Edition), The Fellowship of the Ring, "Many Meetings".

**Borrowed from the Book of Lost Tales, Part Two, where it states that Legolas led the exiles from Gondolin.
Sign up to rate and review this story