Categories > Games > Kingdom Hearts > Losing the Melody

I Can't

by Xanrivash 0 reviews

Number 73, I Can't. One comment from Axel makes Demyx start to wonder...

Category: Kingdom Hearts - Rating: G - Genres: Angst,Drama - Characters: Axel,Demyx - Published: 2008-04-30 - Updated: 2008-04-30 - 615 words

0Unrated
Even though he was mostly recovered from his illness, Demyx was still pretty wiped out most of the time. Times like this, when he didn't even have the energy to sit up and play sitar, there was nothing better than just lying back and listening to music on his stereo for a while. After turning the volume up a little - for some reason, it seemed softer than where he thought he'd left it - Demyx was ready to do just that.

After about half an hour, he sighed and frowned. It still wasn't quite loud enough - maybe there was something wrong with the stereo. He stood up, turned the volume up a little more, and flopped back onto his bed.

Five minutes later, he still wasn't happy with where the volume was. He hauled himself back up, turned the volume up until he was sure it was loud enough, then collapsed again, now able to relax and listen quite contentedly, at least until he decided to change some of the rock CDs in the stereo for some instrumental music. He was sorting through the massive collection of CDs in the cabinet under the stereo when someone knocked loudly on the door. "Come in," he said, without turning around. He didn't hear the door open, but Axel said something just loudly enough for Demyx to identify his voice, and not make out a single word he said. "Sorry, what?"

"I said, could you please - "

Whatever he wanted Demyx to please do was unintelligible over the music. "Sorry, I still didn't catch that." Axel walked over and turned the volume down, almost too low for Demyx to hear anything at all. "Hey! What the hell are you -"

"I said, could you please turn the volume down a little, I have a headache!" Axel glared down at him. "What the hell's the matter with you? You didn't hear me when I knocked on your bathroom door either!"

"Axel, it's called music. I was listening to music. Not to anything else. I was listening to music because music is nice to listen to. It sounds good. It makes me happy. And if you say a word about how it's impossible for anything to make me happy -"

Axel didn't let him finish the threat. "Whatever. I swear, having that stuff pounding in your ears all the time is making you deaf." He went back to his own room, and Demyx turned the volume back up, though not so high as it had been. For some reason, when he flopped back onto his bed, he couldn't then just kick back and relax. Something kept gnawing at the back of his mind.

It took him a while to figure out what it was. Maybe he's right. Maybe I am going deaf.

That's impossible. I can't be going deaf. I can't. That's something you see with older people who've been working with jackhammers and other loud machines for most of their lives. I'm only eighteen. All I've done is play and listen to music. Not nearly enough to ruin my ears permanently.

I can't possibly be going deaf. I can still hear the stereo just fine. Maybe I had to turn the volume up a little, but I probably turned it down earlier and didn't remember it. And I was right next to the speaker - that's why I had to ask Axel to repeat himself acouple times before I heard what he said, and why I didn't hear him knock on the bathroom door.

I can't be going deaf. There's no way. And just to prove it to myself, I'll ask Vexen for a hearing test tomorrow...
Sign up to rate and review this story