Orestes contemplates, the 'Puffs plot, Harri faces her past, Orestes has a Geek moment, Harry gets lucky, Thubani schemes, and Harry is cursed.
- Good cliffie there and the chapter widened the backstory of this world a bit more and we, the readers, get a better understanding of it. 'Twill be interesting to see who kidnapped Harry and why, I can see both benign and malign possibilities here based on earlier parts of the chapter. I'm not going to ask just how far Luna and Harry got intimate, that's for them to tell if/when they wish to.
I did like the Hufflepuff Council and the presence of alumni; finding it somewhat amusing that Moody would be one of them. I rather suspect they'll play a role in the resolution of matters.
Author's response- Hey, Paranoid Disfigured phychopaths can be hard working team players too you know...
- Re: Harry and Luna: Heavy breathing, perhaps a bit of manual manipulation, a lick or two, but no more... They're just 15 after all...
- The Hufflepuff Council is my answer to the shadowy and mysterious (visualize wiggling fingers if you're a Sluggy Freelance fan) Ravenclaw Coven that show up in so many fics. I may even introduce a team of cooperative Wetwork specialists to assist in De-Dark Ladying the place...
- 1) Thanks for the fast update!
2) Great portrayal of Mad-Eye.
3) The Hufflepuff Council - that's perfectly logical.
4) A cliffhanger? whine
Author's response- de nada.
- Mad Eye is fun... Almost the polar opposite of Luna.
- The Council was my attempt to point and laugh at the shadowy and mysterious (with waggly fingers for Sluggy Freelance fans) Ravenclaw Coven that shows up in so many fics these days...
- It's more of a curbhanger really.
- Oh, I meant to add that Orestes seems surprised by the training Harry's already undergone and I wonder how he'll take the knowledge of who's the Trainer? In any case, it's going to be interesting watching him push himself and find just how good he is. I rather suspect Harri is just as capable of accelerated operating as Harry is and I suspect that if the two of them work with Orestes in a team effort, Thomasina is going to be in for a nasty surprise, as is Thubani (much as she has the brains to feel surprised).
(#) toranosuke 2008-05-01 06:43:38 PMA little break from Harry's pov? That's fine by me but don't let it happen too often. It's also pretty unbelievable that Moody would spill the beans on the prophecy to a bunch of students and legilimancy in this story seems a bit overpowered to me. Particularly the fact that Harry never noticed.
This may be a pretty negative review but rest assured that I do enjoy this story and can hardly wait to continue reading it.
Author's response- You mean like he noticed when Snape and Dumbles had already been doing it to him for the last four years? This is fifth year, Harry doesn't know anything about legilimancy yet
- Moody didn't reveal the prophecy to "a bunch of students" he revealed it to the hyper-secretive Hufflepuff Council (with a bunch of students in the membership), that no one outside the 'puffs even know about. Even the relatively few 'puffs in the service of the Dark Lady (the DEs are a team after all) haven't told anyone about the Council...
- If people can buy the above silliness about the Ravenclaw Coven, then the Hufflepuff Council can pull the same trick.
- Certainly original, but great so far.
What did the Huffelpuffs decide? The ending didn't look to promissing for Harry... What are they going to do to him? I can't really picture 'Puffs as ruthless.
I'm so looking forward to Harri and Granger meeting Harry's "trainer" -- not to mention being introduced into his training regiment. I hope that Moody and Dumbledore too eventually are shown the RoR and perhaps meed Voldemort.
What is Malfoy plotting?
Will Harry take a firmer controll of his ability to speed-up?
Keep up the good work, and update soon.
Author's response- Thanks
- That would be telling. Something Mysterious! (picture fingers wiggling). Team players can be Ruthless. Just yesterday I heard Sprout wondering where Ruth was...
- That should be next chapter...
- Something nefarious.
- Not so much, no. It's a linked to danger kind of thing. Else he'd run through his lifespan in short order.
- Hmm! Still the plot thickens!
I like the idea that Hufflepuff is the hidden driving force and the hand that overshadows all in the Wizarding World. Who else would have the necessary drive to work together to keep things running? ;-) Ravenclaws are too academic, Gryffindors are too busy charging forward and Slytherins are fundamentally incapable of teamwork.
So! Who is kidnapping Harry? I'll bet it is the Badger Conspiracy - The DEs would just try to kill him.
I also like the discussion Orsestes had with Lance. It is odd to have the same personalities, personal histories and flaws just having the genders reversed.
This is one of your better stories and I always look forward to more.
BenRG's Rating: 8/10
Author's response- If it weren't for the idiots who keep getting elected, the BWS would be a paradise...
- DEs kidnap sometimes. Can't torture the dead you know. Well, you can, but it's kind of pointless.
(#) whatareyouevensaying 2008-05-02 09:50:04 AMVery interesting update, I enjoyed every bit of it immensely. I love seeing so many women so publicly declare that no man can possibly compete with them. It might even be a slight exaggeration on the canon behind-the-times wizarding world.
The only mistake I saw with this chapter was when you wrote something about Harri's uncle and HER (seemed like it meant the uncle's) family.
Looking forward to more.
Author's response- Given what I've heard from certain mouth breathing morons who shall remain nameless concerning a certain Presidential Candidate... (and no, I don't mean those who disagree with her, but those who refuse to vote for her because she's female and might go psycho every 28 days) I would say it's an mirror image of our own society
(#) PerfesserN 2008-05-02 03:33:44 PMEnjoying this story very much, but I'm a little concerned that Hufflepuffs would treat one of their own so shabbily as in your cliffie - very Slytherin of you BTW.
Seems a bit dark for a house know for its loyalty.
Still, it’s a story with a deliciously different point of view and commentary.
Write on, write on.
Author's response- I go to all the trouble of having Young Malfoy plotting nefariously and everyone hops on the poor Puffs as the bad guys...
- I'm half way convinced I should scrap what I've written and have it turn out to be the Snakes who grabbed him...
- Darkness is in the eye of the beholder...