Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Hermione Granger and the Fall of Innocence

9 and 10

by JennBarny 0 reviews

And so it ends... and I know... you all hate me... they all did last time.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Dumbledore,Harry,Hermione - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-05-02 - Updated: 2008-05-02 - 2930 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter Nine:

The world of Albus Dumbledore seemed to move excruciatingly slow, yet he could not stop what was coming for Minerva. His gaze was affixed on her face as the bolt of green light shot towards her. He watched as the life was extinguished from her eyes. His vision returned to normal when he realized that he, Minerva, and Snape were all lying in a crumpled heap. It seemed as though they had both sought to push her from the path, to place themselves in the danger instead, but, since they were pushing from opposite sides, only succeeded in holding her in place.

They quickly regained their feet and started to point their wands at Voldemort, but Voldemort was too fast for them. He killed Snape just as easily, with a cry of “traitor” leaving his lips as he turned to face Albus. Harry, standing next to Dumbledore, could feel the cold fury emanating from the Professor.

“You will pay, Voldemort,” he growled as he raised his wand.

“No, you will,” he replied as he sent the Cruciatus Curse toward the Headmaster. Harry jumped forward at the sound of Albus’ screams. Hermione’s eyes opened wide at this dangerous move by Harry.

“Voldemort! This is our battle. You wanted your rematch. Here it is! Let’s find out once and for all who is more powerful and leave it at that,” Harry shouted.

Voldemort ended Albus’ suffering and turned to Harry. “You have aroused my interest, boy. We will find out who is more powerful.” With a motion, Voldemort had the Death Eaters in a circle with Harry and himself inside. The other half of the circle was made up of the front line of defenders.

Harry and Voldemort circled each other until Harry’s arm was grazed by a Bicorn’s hungry teeth. “Imperio!” Voldemort shouted. “Destroy Dumbledore!”

It took Harry very little time to shake the bonds of the Imperius Curse, thanks to the practice Barty Crouch Jr. had given him his fourth year. He tried to pretend he was still under the influence, until he realized that Voldemort could tell the difference. He shouted, “Impedimentia!”

With the time that it took for Voldemort to turn his wand on himself and cast the counter-spell, Harry resituated himself and got some tips from Hermione. “Relashio!” A jet of fiery sparks shot from his wand and lit Voldemort’s robes on fire.

“Keep hitting him with curses, Harry. Distract him!” Ron shouted.

“Avis!” A small flock of birds appeared to fly around and peck at Voldemort’s face and head. “Furnunculus!” All of Voldemort’s exposed skin was covered by boils. “Incendio!” he cried, starting another fire around the bottoms of Voldemort’s robes. “Locomotor Mortis!” Voldemort’s legs locked together and he fell to his face amid his flaming robes. “Wingardium Leviosa!” Harry levitated the Dark Lord, tossing him aside to the Death Eaters. A Bicorn sniffed, but turned its head away in disgust rather than eating him. “Petrificus Totalus!”

Voldemort, trying to block or counter all of the curses and hexes that had been thrown at him, had never realized that Harry was going to win. Harry went over to stand between Albus and Hermione and told the Death Eaters to leave immediately. Their Lord had lost. Mr. Lestrange then gave a sort of strangled cry and shouted “Avada Kedavra!” The curse again bounced off Harry and killed Mr. Lestrange instead. The battlefield was silent for a moment. Harry looked at those around him with cold fury in his eyes.

Lucius saw his chance and revived Voldemort before summoning a sword from a suit of armor inside the doors of the school. “If you can’t be killed by magic, I’ll kill you by force!” he shouted as he lunged toward Harry.

Harry pushed Hermione aside as he dodged, then called, “Ferula!” A large wooden pole fell from his wand, and he picked it up to defend himself. As Lucius would attack, Harry would parry. It was as if he had the soul of Godric Gryffindor himself inside, telling him how to fight. Lucius left his side open, so Harry attacked with his pole. Lucius put too much power in one swing, so Harry easily tripped his feet out from under him. Harry kicked the sword aside and Petrified Lucius.

He held his wand out at arms length against the Death Eaters and told them to leave again. “Harry!” Hermione screamed. She had seen Voldemort levitate the sword and send it speeding towards him. Harry turned just in time to see the blade enter his stomach. He staggered for a moment before falling to his knees. Hermione ran to him, trying desperately to mend his wound, but Harry just laughed.

“It’s ok, Hermione. My parents are here,” he whispered. “I love you.” The life left Harry Potter that night in front of the castle. Hermione kissed his forehead and moved his body aside before rejoining the line next to Dumbledore.

Albus placed a hand on Hermione’s shoulder, and she stood taller. Voldemort sneered. “Awww… did ickle Mudblood fancy Harry Potter?”

“Now that’s just rude,” Mrs. Weasley said, rolling up her sleeves. “Let’s see how tough you are once we’ve gotten rid of a few of these Death Eaters, shall we?” She used a powerful summoning charm to pull the closest five Death Eaters from their Bicorn. The Bicorn then went on to eat the still living members of Voldemort’s army.

Fred and George, helped by Ron, went on a curse spree, cursing and hexing everyone they could until all the Death Eaters were sprouting boils or laughing uncontrollably, or doing a dance with their legs. The students stepped up behind them, casting “Obliviate,” “Petrificus Totalus,” and “Stupify” into the crowds of Death Eaters. Some went after the smaller creatures like Red Caps, Pogrebin, and Erklings, until the battlefield was chaos. Students were spread everywhere, and staff took advantage of the confusion, adding some curses of their own.

There were screams as the Erklings fed on the younger students and from Red Caps bludgeoning others to death. Bicorn were making a feast of those Death Eaters who were unlucky enough to fall, and those on the side of Light who were just a little too close. The Death Eaters who were still mobile spread out. A group of students wearing green jumpers with a glowing red skull on the front walked from the school, led by Draco. They were quick to cast curses on their classmates and the staff.

Professor Flitwick flew through the air, landing at the feet of one Bicorn. Professor Sprout was magically bound, then dragged to her greenhouse where she was fed to her Venomous Tentacula. Filch watched in terror as some of the fifth years tortured and killed Mrs. Norris, then came after him. In all the confusion, Voldemort leveled his wand and shouted “Avada Kedavra.” The green light sped toward Hermione, but she was knocked to the ground by Ron. He had placed himself in front of the curse and fell onto her. She was knocked out by a rock on the ground and did not rise.

Dumbledore seemed to glow red as he faced off with Voldemort amid the ruckus of battle. “Let us battle with the mind, Voldemort.”

Voldemort nodded slightly, and they linked their wands with glowing light. Similar to how brother wands react when forced to duel, Albus and Voldemort tried to overpower the other with will. Albus had nearly won when a thought of Minerva crossed his mind. He felt a surge of power, then saw her lying on the ground, cold. His concentration faltered just an instant, but it was enough that Voldemort overpowered him and Dumbledore was sent sprawling across the mud. Voldemort stood over him and cast the killing curse.

One by one the forces of Good were eliminated. At last the armies stood, battered and bruised, and the Dark Mark floated in the sky. The only soldiers who stood on the side of Dumbledore and Harry Potter were students. Voldemort called his Death Eaters to him as the Slytherin students wearing green jumpers rounded up the student survivors. Among them were Seamus Finnegan, Neville Longbottom, Dean Thomas, Justin Finch-Fletchly, Hannah Abbot, and the Patil twins.

They were placed into the dungeons while Draco escorted Voldemort, Lucius, and the other Death Eaters into the castle. One foolish Death Eater attempted to curse Sir Nicholas as he attempted to impede them. He laughed when the curse passed through him.

Draco led them to the Slytherin common room where all who were disloyal were jailed with the other students. They used Padma Patil, Justin Finch-Fletchly, and Neville to lead them to the Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Gryffindor students by placing them under the Imperiatus Curse. Voldemort studied the students that were now in captivity and instructed the captors to keep some students in a separate dungeon cell. These students were Neville Longbottom, Susan Bones, and all ‘mudblood’ students. He put Neville and Susan under the Imperiatus Curse, forcing them to use the Cruciatus Curse on some of the mudbloods for the pleasure and amusement of the Death Eaters and the Dark Lord.

They used Hogwarts to recuperate their forces and recruit others. Soon, they would once again be powerful enough to take the Ministry of Magic, and beyond that, the world. Lord Voldemort had surely returned more powerful than ever, and it seemed hopeless to stand against him.

Chapter Ten:

The rain started to fall gently on the battlefield, as if in mourning for those who lay in eternal rest there. As night fell, and the waning moon cast a slight glow from behind the parting clouds, there was some unregistered motion in the field. A young witch, assumed to be dead, opened her eyes. She lay quietly there for a moment, taking in what she could of her surroundings before she comprehended the weight that was upon her chest. She slowly rolled over while pushing the weight from her. As Ron’s body slid to her side, she gasped. The realization of what must have happened dawned on her and her eyes misted over for the loss of a dear friend.

During her studies, especially after her dealings with Rita Skeeter, Hermione decided to become an animagus. She worked hard, keeping her quest secret from everyone except Harry and Ron, and finally succeeded in being able to transform herself into a calico kitten. Now, she used this skill to slink along the battlefield, trying to surmise the outcome. She paused where her mentor, Minerva McGonagall, laid. As she raised her head, she realized who else was lying in the mud nearby. Not only was Snape close, but when Professor Dumbledore died, he had fallen side by side with his long lost love. Hermione’s heart wrenched at the thought, and she turned toward the forest to take cover from the rain that had again started to pour. When she realized where she was walking, she was surprised to find herself next to Harry’s body.

She curled up between his arm and his torso, feeling so lost. All of the people she had once looked to for help or strength were lying on the mud and grass where those who stood for righteousness and truth were slaughtered mercilessly by Voldemort and his Death Eaters. She had seen the bodies of Dumbledore, McGonagall, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Ron and Harry all lying lifelessly. Tears coursed down her now matted fur, mixing with the raindrops.

She transfigured herself back into the lonely tear-soaked girl that she really was and spoke to the body lying at her side. “You lied to me, Harry Potter. You told me you’d never leave me.”

There was a cold, cruel laugh floating from the Hogwarts castle, and it filled Hermione with such raw fury that she immediately transformed back into the calico before racing along the forest’s edge towards the entrance. She slipped through the entrance without being seen, darting from shadow to shadow. She watched in horror as Neville performed the Cruciatus Curse on another student. She instantly knew that he had been under the Imperiatus Curse when he dropped to his knees and threw up. The torture was even worse for him than his victim, knowing how his parents had ended up at St. Mungo’s.

She continued on to the Great Hall where she was correct in guessing that Voldemort would set up his command center. There were many Death Eaters huddled around detailed maps of England, blueprints of Ministry buildings, and profiles of the more important public figures. Voldemort himself sat in Dumbledore’s chair, the Head Table was cast aside, broken in piles at the base of the dais. Her blood ran cold as she heard the shrill voice say the name of the next town to be conquered. It was the one she had grown up in, the one where her parents still lived. The kitten ran to the front of the room, becoming a girl behind the chair where the Dark Lord lounged. She pulled a sword from the suit of armor standing guard there and swung. Five green lights sped towards her, knocking her from her feet, but she had done her damage. Sir Nicholas would have been proud of her, as Voldemort’s head rolled down the aisle, cleanly severed from his shoulders. The Death Eaters looked from their Dark Lord to the mudblood girl who had beheaded him. Some smirked, thinking that the Dark Lord was eternal and immortal, while one, Lucius Malfoy looked more serious. He knew exactly how Voldemort could be defeated as the thought crossed his mind once or twice to assassinate him once he was in power and take all the power in the world. He knew the clean separation of head and body was the only way to keep the power that Voldemort contained from allowing him to return. He looked at the mudblood, staring at her work with eyes that would never see how she had done, and somehow knew that she had not realized that she was going to single-handedly defeat the most powerful wizard in history. She was overtaken with rage and had not known that Voldemort was vulnerable in this manner.



**&&&&&&^^^^^%%%%%^^^^^&&&&&***

Hermione felt the sword make contact before she was surrounded by green light. She felt herself get lifted from her feet, but then felt as though all he weight of the world was released from her shoulders. She felt as light as air, as though she could run for ages and never grow tired. “Oh, Harry, I wish you could feel this,” she murmured aloud.

“I can, Hermione,” a voice said from behind her. She spun around to see Harry, standing proud, the mud and blood washed from his hair and body. He was immaculately dressed in golden robes.

“Harry! But…” She paused and saw the people walking up behind him. She saw Dumbledore and McGonagall, as they had looked in 1945, happy and carefree again. The whole Weasley family was soon behind them, with Ron grinning ear to ear. A man with Harry’s untidy black hair and a woman with red hair and startlingly green eyes stood behind him. “Are... are we dead?” she asked softly.

“I think so, but I don’t see a reason to be sad about it.”

“But Voldemort, he’ll come back, stronger than ever,” she protested.

Harry, Albus, Minerva, and even James and Lily smiled at her. “No, Hermione, he won’t.”

“How do you know?”

“Come with me,” he replied, holding his hand out for her. He led her to what appeared to be a puddle in the middle of the floor. She looked into it and saw her own body lying lifelessly behind the Headmaster’s chair in the Great Hall. In the chair was the headless body of Voldemort. “You didn’t even realize what you did, did you? When you took his head, his power was stripped. He will never rise again.”

“I didn’t even aim. I was so angry. He was going for my hometown next…”

“Not to burst your bubble, but perhaps I can explain a little better,” Dumbledore said as he put his hand on her shoulder. “The sword you took was placed there by Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington at my request. It was the sword of Godric Gryffindor. The same sword that Harry used to defeat the Basilisk so many years ago. This sword was used to defeat the last heir of Slytherin, as it was prophesied. It knew the damage that needed to be done, and only needed a body to wield it.”

“None of it really matters now, though. He has been defeated, by the time the Death Eaters discover a way to carry on, the Ministry and others will be able to stop them. Voldemort’s reign of terror is over, and we can… well… ‘live’ in happiness together for the rest of eternity,” Harry smiled as he took her hands in his. His thumb ran over the ring on her finger, reminding them both of the promise that was made what seemed like so long ago. He leaned in to kiss her, but was met more than halfway by a young woman, grateful for all the pain she had gone through. She’d never have appreciated the love and friendship of all those present had they not been torn so violently from her grip.
Sign up to rate and review this story