Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Canadian Intervention

Fireworks, In A Bad Way

by austin316hockey 1 review

Travis, his parents, and the guys from My Chemical Romance get a small glimpse into Harry's life... an encounter with Firewiskey... and a second visit from Voldemort has Harry doing something unthi...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover,Drama - Characters: Harry - Published: 2008-05-16 - Updated: 2008-05-16 - 5289 words

1MarySue
Harry felt his heart climb into his throat. Just over 24 hours. That's as far as he had gotten with his disguise. The goblin at Gringotts had saw right through it, yet, he understood that one. Of course, he had also inadvertently let out more than a few clues to his real identity; he silently cursed himself for being so stupid. Sighing, he drew his wand, pointed it at himself, and muttered, "Finite Incantatum." The glamour fell, leaving behind a boy of only 15, almost 16, with his raven-black hair that refused to be tamed, and bright emerald-green eyes that blinked behind his glasses.
"Well, then, Mr. Potter. I had a good idea there was more to you than you were letting on." Said Lisa.
"He had to, mum." Said Travis. Any residual anger he had toward the guy went out the window.

Even in Canada, the story of the boy-who-lived was well known. He didn't know all the details, but knew enough to know Harry had gotten a bad deal. That was the bottom line. Now, the boy-who-lived sat across from him at the dining room table.
"Like I said, I just want some control in my life." Said Harry, "The fewer people know who I really am, the better. Last thing I need is your ministry of magic sending me back to England."
"I'm gonna give Jeff a call." Said Travis, "He'll be able to help." Harry nodded, and Travis got up. He stepped into the living room.

An uncomfortable silence fell across the room; no one seemed to know what to say at this point. Being muggles, Frank and Gerard had no clue who Harry Potter was, and so the significance of the boy was lost on them. Lisa too, was wrapped up in her own thoughts, and Harry… he just wished the ground would open up and swallow him whole. He knew it was just a matter of time before the Canadian ministry of magic knew he was there… how long before he would be forcibly returned to England, and Dumbledore's control.
"Ok. Jeff will be over in the morning around 9 am." Said Travis, returning to the table.
"I did have many questions for you," Said Lisa, "But I have to say, most of them have been answered, now that I see who you are." Harry nodded in understanding.
"I'm sure Jeff will have a load of questions, but I have no doubt he'll help you."
"I just… I just don't want to go back to England. Not 'till I'm ready." Said Harry.
"And we'll do our best to make sure that doesn't happen." Said Lisa.

Everyone fell silent again, not sure where to take the conversation. Both Lisa and her son knew Harry had been through hell over the past day, and so didn't want to cause anymore stress than had already been done.
"We… our tour manager called." Gerard began, changing the subject, "He's asked us if we want to play EdgeFest in Toronto(1)."
"That's 2 weeks away." Said Travis, "Don't you need more notice than that?"
"Our tour manager will deal with it. Our equipment's already back in the U.S." Answered Gerard.
"So you guys are doing it, then." Said Travis. Both Gerard and Frank nodded. "Well, think of this. You can leave the bus here, we'll take the floo into Toronto, and I'll apparate you all to the venue."
"And get more fines from the ministry." Lisa said, pursing her lips. Harry had to smile.
"What?" Asked Travis.
"Nothing, just, your mom's face reminds me of Professor McGonagall. She teaches transfiguration at Hogwarts, and she's very stern. She makes that face a lot." Answered Harry. That got a smile from Lisa. "She was my favourite teacher though."
"Why don't you boys go out to the shop? I'm about to start dinner, and I do need the table." Said Lisa.
"Would you like some help?" Harry offered.
"Thank you, but I can most certainly handle it. Travis, why not show Harry your room?"
"Yeah, that's a good thought. I need a smoke anyway." Said Travis. That drew another glare from his mother.

oOo
Harry was shocked by the space which Travis called his room. There was a double bed, and a bunk bed, and he assumed that Frank, and likely Gerard were sleeping there as well. Along one wall were several computers, including one workstation that had 3 screens. He quickly spotted numerous text books, novels, and notebooks, another shelf that contained a multitude of potions and ingredients. His trunk rested in a corner, along with his broom; he didn't recognize the model, but it looked better than a Nimbus. Canadian design, he guessed. Lastly, by the window, on a perch, sat a magnificent barred owl.
"His name is Achilles." Said Travis, following Harry's gaze.
"Merlin! I completely forgot about Hedwig!" Harry gasped.
"Who's Hedwig?"
"My owl. I sent her to a friend's place. Now that I'm more or less settled… well, now I don't know how to retrieve her." Harry explained. Just then, Frank stepped into the room. "The guys are talking with the road crew."
"Shouldn't you be there, then?" Asked Travis.
"No, they got things under control."
"More like, you find what we're doing more interesting." Said Travis. That got a laugh from Harry, and a grin from Frank. "Guilty as charged."

Suddenly, there was a flash of flame, and Fawkes appeared, then landed on Harry's left shoulder. Travis stared, his mouth agape, while Frank almost fell over from the shock.
"Jesus FUCKING Christ!" Travis swore finally, "That's… that's a fucking phoenix!"
"This is Fawkes." Said Harry, "Oh, and Frank… close your mouth, you'll catch flies."
"How… who…?" Travis was completely stunned at the beautiful bird that now rested on Harry's shoulder.
"I'm not the only one having issues with Dumbledore lately." Said Harry, "This is his familiar. I think he's pissed at him. I mean, it was Fawkes who well, I'll show you the letter he sent me later. Bloody old codger." He then looked at Fawkes. "These are my friends, Travis and Frank." The bird looked at the two young men appraisingly, then seemed to trill happily.
"I guess he approves." Harry laughed.
"Looks like we're gonna need another perch. Achilles' perch won't take them both." Said Travis, drawing his wand. "Let's find out how quickly the ministry is getting mail out today." He pointed it at a discarded newspaper beside Achilles' perch, and whispered an incantation. An identical perch appeared directly beside it, seeming to replace the waste paper. Fawkes immediately took to it, taking a sip of water from the attached container. Frank was still captivated by the amazing bird. "So… is… well, is there things like unicorns, and stuff like that?"
"Absolutely." Said Travis.
"I've saw one killed." Said Harry, darkly. "Voldemort was living off their blood during my first year."
"Damn." Said Travis, "That's a horrible crime, killing such a light creature."
"Voldemort doesn't care. He's cursed as it is." Said Harry.
"Unicorns and phoenixes are very light creatures." Said Travis, "To have one willingly hang around you, that's a massive honour."
"And this is Dumbledore's pet?" Asked Frank.
"Familiar, as we call them." Answered Harry, "As I said, my owl's still back in England."
"Well, Fawkes can flash from location to location, right?" Said Travis, "Does he and… Hedwig, is it? Get along?"
"Sure."
"Couldn't you get Fawkes to bring him to you?" Suggested Travis. Harry didn't even get a chance to answer, as the phoenix vanished in a flash of flame.
"I think he likes you." Said Harry, "You didn't even ask him."
"So if… if Fawkes is Dumbledore's familiar… and he's starting to, well, spend more time away from him… could Dumbledore be…" Frank started.
"Turning dark?" Harry's features darkened. "I hope not. Dumbledore is the only wizard Voldemort fears."
"And you." Said Travis.
"Right." Harry snorted, "Not when snake face can get into my head. He's possessed me twice already."
"Then you need to learn how to protect your mind."
"So says Dumbledore and that useless excuse for a potions professor." Harry groaned.
"Has anyone tried to teach you Occlumency?" Asked Travis. Harry nodded. "I think that only made things worse. 'Clear your mind', he says, then comes at me with a full legilimens attack. Greasy git."
"Sounds more like a mind-raping to me. Did you get anything to study?"
"I have now." Answered Harry.
"Then that's one of the things we'll talk to Jeff about tomorrow."
"Legilimency? Mr. Stratford used that on me during the trial." Said Frank.
"Occlumency protects the mind against attack. Possession or just trying to see someone's thought and memories." Said Travis.
"So if I was good at Occlumency, Mr. Stratford wouldn't have been able to see my memories." Said Frank.
"That's the idea." Said Travis, "Although I don't know if you could learn it or not." Just then, there was another brilliant flash of flame, with which Fawkes reappeared, along with Hedwig. She let out an indignant "HOOT!" and lighted upon Harry's shoulder, giving him a hard nip on the ear. Fawkes landed on his perch.
"I'm sorry I didn't get you sooner, girl." Said Harry. The snowy owl puffed her feathers as if again upset at the shabby treatment. "Got any owl treats?"
"There." Said Travis, pointing to a container on a shelf near the perches. Harry retrieved a couple of owl treats from said container, and it seemed to appease his familiar. Achilles shifted over on his perch as if inviting the newcomer to join him, and Hedwig quickly accepted. It was quite the sight, the two owls and the phoenix, sitting next to each other.
"My first friend in the wizard world gave me Hedwig for my 11th birthday." Said Harry.
"What happens when Fawkes burns?" Asked Travis.
"Burns?" Frank was confused.
"A phoenix is immortal." Explained Travis, "When they get old, they lose their feathers, and burn, only to be reborn from their ashes."
"Or like what just happened to him, he was hit with the killing curse. He actually stood in front of the Avada Kedavra curse for the old codger." Said Harry, "They, err, grow up really fast."
"But… don't you have magical shields and stuff to stop it?" Asked Frank.
"The killing curse? No. No magical shield can block it." Said Travis.
"Best you can do is just get out of the way. Or put something in the way of it." Said Harry, "More experienced wizards can conjure things out of thin air."
"Have… have you saw someone killed that way, Harry?" Asked Frank. Harry's features darkened, and he nodded. "Over a year ago. I… I don't want to talk about that."
"I lost a close friend on May 11. I knew him since I was old enough to go to school."
"Travis saved my life. The Bartlett guy tried to hit me with that curse twice." Said Frank.

The room fell into silence, as each fell into their own thoughts. Frank pulled out a pack of cigarettes, took one for himself, then absently offered one to Travis. Just then, a screech owl flew in from the opening in the roof, and landed on Travis' desk. He had a brown envelope attached to his leg.
"Half-hour, not bad." Said Travis, retrieving the envelope. The bird promptly took off, soaring up into the rafters, and out through the small opening. The envelope had a large seal on the top right corner, a large 'M' lain on top of a red maple leaf. The symbol of the Ministry of Magic. He opened the envelope, to retrieve the contained letter, and began to read in a pompous voice: "Mr. Travis Carter, Room above the Shop, R.R. #4, Penetanguishene, Ontario… blah blah blah… Dear Mr. Carter, The ministry has detected your use of a transfiguration charm 31 minutes ago in a muggle-inhabited area, and in the presence of a muggle. You are once again reminded that this is a breach of the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery, and Section 13 of the International Confederation of Warlocks' Statute of Secrecy. You are warned that, that should we receive another indicator of you casting magic today, a 200 galleon fine shall be levied against you… blah blah blah…"
"So that's it, they just give you a warning? Gods, Fudge would have just sent me to Azkaban." Said Harry.
"Yup." Said Travis. He pulled out his Zippo, lit his cigarette, then proceeded to set the letter on fire, and dropped it into the waste bin.
"But… I mean, don't you worry that they might actually arrest you someday?"
"Harry, that's already happened. Several times." Answered Travis, darkly, "See, Bartlett is a cruel person. He doesn't give a shit about the law. So I've had to break the law too… or I would be dead many times over by now." Harry nodded in understanding. Voldemort didn't follow the laws either.
"Now it's just habit." Travis continued, "It's stupid that I get fined for shit, I mean, especially in my own home. Fuck, everyone here knows I can do magic, so what does it matter? And let's face it, if I'm attacked magically, I'm gonna defend myself. Well, if I'm attacked in any way, I'm gonna protect myself. If I end up with a bunch of stupid fines, then well shit, too bad now ain't it?" Harry had to grin at that. Travis was right, after all. The underage magic restriction was all bullocks in his opinion.
"I'm still trying to find an anti-detection charm or something. That would be Christmas come early." Travis added, then took a drag off his smoke.

The sound of music wafting up from downstairs quickly changed the subject. "Harry, let's go downstairs, I'll introduce you to the other guys." Said Frank.

The front part of the shop seemed to contain lots of gadgets and contraptions, including what looked like a tractor that had a chimney on it. Harry had not seen anything like it. There were lots of tools, and several work benches along one wall.

The back of the building-Harry could tell immediately it had been magically expanded-was set up as a 'rec room'. He remembered hearing Dudley talking about something like that once. The other 4 members of My Chemical Romance were set up at the back of the room with their equipment, and were just starting to play. They stopped, seeing Travis, Frank, and Harry step into the room.
"Harry. You already met Gerard, of course." Said Frank, gesturing to Gerard. Harry nodded. "Ok. That's Mikey Way, Ray Toro, and Bob Bryar." Frank pointed each member out. "Guys. This is Harry Potter."
"You're a wizard too?" Asked Bob.
"Yeah." Answered Harry.

The rest of the afternoon was spent there, as My Chemical Romance just jammed together, not calling a rehearsal or anything. Travis had been spoiled by this point, having watched this many times already. Harry, on the other hand, had not saw much in terms of live music. The band that had performed at the Yule Ball one and a half years earlier weren't on the same calibre as My Chemical Romance.

Nearing 6 pm, Lisa entered the room, and announced dinner would soon be ready.
"Is dad home?" Asked Travis.
"He got in a half hour ago." Answered Lisa.
"Did you tell him about Harry yet?"
"He knows. He's not exactly happy, dear, but that's not our problem, now, is it?"
"I… err, Mrs. Carter, I don't want to be a problem." Said Harry.
"And by no means are you. My husband has a few issues about magic. He's not been exactly comfortable with it."
"At least he's not calling your son a freak." Said Harry, darkly. That got looks of surprise from the others.
"Your relatives called you that?" Asked Lisa.
"Every day."
"Dad and I are a little distant. It's been that way well… since I got my school letter, I guess."

Instead of using the dining room table, Lisa had decided they would eat out on the deck, saying it was too nice to eat inside. Like the dining room table, the table on the deck had been enlarged to handle the extra people. As the conversation flowed, Harry could easily pick up the tension between Travis and his father. They spoke very little to each other, and on more than a few occasions, he caught a glimmer of disdain in the older man's eyes. Yes, Travis had more than a few things in common with Harry.

Then, there was the guy who sat across from him. On several occasions, he caught Frank practically staring at him. Or perhaps looking through him, lost in space perhaps. What was THAT all about?
"Frankie, take a picture, it'll last longer." Gerard hissed playfully in his ear.
"Huh?" Frank stammered, his face turning slightly red.
"What would Jamia say, if she saw you doing that, I wonder?" Asked Mikey.
"Who's Jamia?" Asked Harry.
"My girlfriend, well, on-and-off, anyway." Answered Frank, his face slowly losing the redness.
"Well, Harry, looks like you got an admirer." Mikey snickered.
"Shut up." Said Frank, flicking a stray pea toward the offender.
"What, well, I mean, you could just look at it like the 'Frerard' episode."
"The what?" Asked Harry.
"Mikey. Shut up."
"Frerard… as in Frank and Gerard, um, doing things on stage that…" Travis began.
"Aren't quite straight." Finished Gerard.
"Oh."
"So of course the media went nuts about it." Said Frank, "That's why Jamia and I are well, hot and cold with each other." An uncomfortable silence fell across the table. Although Harry couldn't read minds by any sense, he could tell there were many feelings there. Frank quite possibly truly loved Gerard. Now that he thought about it, some of the little interactions between them were curious, to say the least.

"So… Mr. Potter. My wife says you've fled England." Said Travis' father. It was the first time the man addressed Harry.
"Yeah, that's about right." Answered Harry.
"And what can you possibly gain here?" Travis' father drawled. This man reminds me of Snape, Harry thought.
"Maybe get the education and training I need, so I can kill a certain dark lord." Harry answered, a slight edge to his voice.
"And draw whatever darkness and evil over here, no less."
"Quite possible, dad." Said Travis, "But at least here, he can do things on his own terms."
"And likely get himself and those around him killed… such unnatural…"

Harry sprang to his feet, sending the chair flying, and his wand was out in a heartbeat. "DON'T YOU EVER USE THAT AROUND ME OR MY FRIENDS!" He virtually screamed, wand thrust toward Travis' father, "We're not BLOODY FREAKS!!"
"Harry, whoa, he's just…" Travis placed a hand on Harry's shoulder.
"No! This is exactly one of the reasons I left England in the first place!" Harry shouted, "Mr. Carter, your son isn't a bloody freak, or unnatural, or whatever in Merlin's name you chose to label him! Bloody hell!" Travis' father cast the hardest look of disdain he could at Harry, stood up, and stormed into the house, slamming the patio door behind him. Still fuming, Harry slid his wand back into his back pocket, and retrieved his chair.
"You Ok, man?" Asked Frank, as Harry sat back down.
"I… Anyone want to know what was my room for almost 11 years?" Asked Harry, grabbing a biscuit from the basket at the centre of the table. "A cupboard underneath the stairs. They said I was an ungrateful freak, that I was unnatural, among other things. So you might understand now why I reacted as I did."
"No need to apologize, Harry. He only set himself up for that one, dear." Lisa said, seeming quite pleased with Harry's reaction. The rest of the table was still speechless. Harry was angry, and the charge in the air could easily be felt by everyone. Lisa excused herself, and went into the house.
"S-s-sorry… for, well… this." Harry sighed, "I overreacted… acted like a bloomin' idiot."
"Like mum said, don't apologize, I've blew up at him a few times too." Said Travis, "He just doesn't get it, and probably never will."

Shouting from inside the house quickly diverted attention.
"Shit. Of course he'd lay into mum." Said Travis, getting up. Harry made to stand as well, but Travis shook his head 'no', and stepped into the house.

The argument lasted for nearly a half-hour, and ended with yet another door slam, and a vehicle peeling out of the driveway. Both Travis and his mother returned to the back deck.
"Harry, mum thinks…"
"I'll get my things." Harry said, making to stand up.
"You'll do no such thing." Said Lisa, "You'll be joining Travis in his room. As for my significant other…"
"Gone to get drunk as usual. Don't bother sugar-coating it mum." Said Travis, "Fucking asshole."
"Damn, if that man really loves you, he's got one hell of a way of showing it." Gerard snorted.
"It's because Harry's here. It's made his 'discomfort' toward the wizard world much worse."
"So maybe I should go." Said Harry, "I don't want to cause trouble."
"No, man, this has been coming for a while." Said Travis, "Even mum sees that now."
"I'm divorcing him." Said Lisa, "He can take his prejudices elsewhere, I'm sick and tired of him treating Travis that way."
"So am I… Jesus Christ I need a smoke." Said Travis, pulling out his pack of cigarettes. He moved over by the steps, as to keep the smoke away from his mother.
"So one of us will have to move back to the bus, then." Said Gerard.
"Nope." Said Travis, "I'll create another bed, and if I have to, I'll expand the room again."
"That's pretty advanced transfiguration." Said Harry.
"Yup. Transfiguration is my favourite subject. I've already learned more than a few NEWT level spells." Travis pulled out his wand. "Oak, 12 and a quarter inches, boomslang venom core. 'springy', as the wand maker described it. He said it would be amazing with transfiguration, and damn, he was right."
"I like transfiguration, but it's hard." Said Harry, "My favourite subject is Dark Arts Defence. I've always done well, even with the stupid professors Dumbledore keeps finding."
"Your teachers keep changing?" Asked Lisa, seeming to appreciate the change in topic. Harry nodded. "Some think the position's cursed. At least that's what Hermione says. A DADA teacher hasn't stayed on for more than a year, in decades. Let's see… in my first year, Professor Quirrell… oh yes, possessed by Voldemort."
"Damn." Said Travis.
"Second year… the oh so colourful Gilderoy Lockhart. The guy was so full of himself, the only thing we learned in that year, I think, was what his favourite colour was." Harry's voice was laced with sarcasm. "Bloody idiot's in the long term care ward at St. Mungo's Hospital after he tried to obliviate us with Ron's broken wand."
"Let me guess, he wiped his own entire memory." Travis guessed. Harry nodded. "Serves him right, his entire life was a fraud. Anyway, where are we, 3rd year? Remus Lupin. Probably the best of the 5 teachers we had. He was one of my dad's best friends, he taught me the Patronus charm."
"A Patronus charm. No way." Travis declared, "That's not taught until 6th year."
"Well, considering there were Dementors on the school grounds that seemed to take a liking to my memories, Remus taught me the charm."
"I'd ask you to show us, but, well, I don't know what the ministry would do." Said Travis, rejoining them at the table. Harry nodded.
"So what happened to him?"
"He's a werewolf." Answered Harry. The looks of shock from the muggles was priceless.
"Werewolves?!" Gerard choked.
"Yeah, they're real. The ministry put a lot of stupid restrictions on them, and of course, when it was discovered a werewolf was working as a teacher at Hogwarts… well, you can imagine the backlash."
"Fucking garbage, that is. Here, we see it as a treatable illness. Don't they have wolfsbane over there?" Asked Travis.
"Yeah, they do. Snape brewed it for Remus all that year while he was teaching, and covered his classes."
"And… they can turn people, and all that stuff?" Asked Gerard.
"Yeah. All the stuff about lycanthropy, it's pretty much accurate." Said Travis. Harry nodded. "Anyway, 4th year… oh goodie. A death eater poly-juiced as Alastor Moody."
"As in 'Mad-eye' Moody?"
"That would be him."
"Don't know whether to be petrified or impressed. That guy's legendary."
"He taught us some interesting things, and of course, tried to kill me at the end of the school year."
"Right, the tri-wizard tournament." Said Travis. Harry again nodded. "I don't want to talk about that. Some of my worst nightmares come from those events. Anyway, then there was last year. The ministry plants this hideous toad of a woman in to teach us Dark Arts Defence. Thing is, she didn't teach us a thing. Delores Umbridge. Such a pleasant woman. She did this." Harry lay his left hand on the table, revealing the words 'I Must Not Tell Lies' etched permanently onto the back of it.
"Jesus, what did she do? It looks like she took an exacto knife to your hand." Said Frank.
"A blood quill." Said Harry. Travis was shocked. "Jesus." He whispered.
"She tortured half the school with it, I think. Of course, Fudge was running a wonderful smear campaign against me and Dumbledore. So I was hated by most of the school, and probably most of wizarding Britain last year."
"I don't know a lot about the wizard world, but that is most certainly not a way to get an education, Harry." Said Lisa. Harry nodded. "Now you see one of the main reasons I'm here."

oOo
As the sun set, the group moved down to the fire pit, which was away from the house, for obvious reasons. There were comfortable outdoor chairs, and various other deck furniture that matched the patio table. Lisa joined them briefly, but after a while chose to retreat to the house. Being a smart and considerate parent, she knew when to give her son space; this was one of those times.

With Lisa gone, both Frank and Ray returned to the bus, and retrieved not only a couple of acoustic guitars, but several beverages as well.
"Well, since you guys are gonna drink…" Said Travis, and got up. He went up to his room in the shop, and returned, carrying a bottle with amber liquid in it.
"Firewhiskey?" Asked Harry. He had remembered seeing Sirius enjoying a glass or two of it the previous year.
"Yeah, Ogden's finest." Answered Travis.
"Aren't you too young to be having that stuff? I mean, I assume it's alcohol, right?" Asked Ray.
"Maybe… by a year. Age of majority in the wizard world is 17." Said Travis, "I'll tell you what… you let me have some of that stuff…" He gestured toward the bottle of Jack Daniel's whiskey, "And I'll let you guys try this."
"Deal." Said Ray.

The magical alcoholic beverage hit the muggles like a 2-ton truck; that was the best description. In fact, after a couple drinks of the potent beverage, 5 of them had been knocked out. Harry, Frank, Mikey, and Gerard had been sick from it. Frank, although still conscious, was still looking very green. "Remind me not to trust wizard beverages." He said, weakly.
"Hmmm. Maybe mixing with muggle alcohol wasn't such a good idea." Said Travis. He too was looking a little green, as was Harry. He had never had such a strong drink. The world was spinning, and his temples were throbbing.
"So Harry…" Said Travis, as he lit another cigarette, "First time you've been smashed?"
"Yeah, if that's what you call it."
"It's even more fun in the morning." Said Frank, "You'll just want to die."
"Thanks. Wonderful thing to look forward to." Harry's voice was laced with sarcasm. He stretched out a bit more on the double seat that could better be called a couch.
"Ah, see, but we have something for that." Said Travis, "An anti-hangover potion. It tastes awful… and it works!" He snickered at his little joke, and both Harry and Frank looked at him strangely.
"Oh, see, there's a muggle medication here called Buckley's(2). Their slogan is, 'It tastes awful, and it works'." Travis explained, "And the shit truly does taste awful."
"Sounds like one of Snape's potions." Said Harry.
"Who's he?" Asked Frank.
"Oh, such a wonderful person." Harry said, his voice again laced with sarcasm, "Greasy bat, more like it. He teaches potions at Hogwarts, and the guy hates my guts because my dad bullied him when they were in school together. So he treats me and my friends like… but then again." Harry thought, more to himself than to the others, "He never lied to me." He sighed, staring into the dancing flames in the fire pit. Yes, today had been a long day. What was Dumbledore and the Order doing now? To what lengths would Dumbledore go to bring him back to England?

oOo
Harry didn't remember when he had fallen asleep. He didn't feel the seat shift, as Frank sat down on the other side, to fall asleep himself. He didn't feel or hear Lisa drape heavy comforters over them. No, he missed all of those things, because for Harry Potter, 3000 miles from England meant nothing in the dream world.(3)

He was once again forced to relive some of the darkest moments in his life, including the most recent events at the Ministry of Magic. Being intoxicated seemed to amplify those horrid visions, as well as add a few more. His friends, new and old, tortured and killed, while he was forced to watch. He woke up breathing heavily, soaked with sweat, his heart thumping violently in his chest. "Distance does not matter, Potter. I can still find you." He heard a cold voice say, as the world came back into fuzzy, clouded view.
"Piss off." He hissed quietly, sitting up. So Voldemort had been in his head again, he thought. He slowly stood up, needing to visit a bathroom… and promptly fell to the ground with a thump, with an overwhelming bout of vertigo.

He lay there for several minutes, as his world spun. He felt like he was going to, a) pass out, or b) be sick. He was still intoxicated, and Voldemort had visited him for the second time in 3 nights. What if he took control of me? He thought, darkly. He would have no control over what he said or did. And yet, those around him wouldn't know that. I can't let that happen, he thought, I'm just… I'm just a danger to everyone.

Harry got into a sitting position, carefully pulling his wand from his back pocket, his hands trembling. He had to hold it with both hands, pointing the business end at his midsection. "Avada…"

CHAPTER NOTES: I know, I'm evil. This is one of those scenes that qualifies as a show stopper. And of course, I'm gonna milk that for all its worth grins.

So of course now there are questions, does Harry actually hate himself enough for that to actually work? As Belletrix was so kind to point out in OotP, 'you have to mean it'. At any rate, I'll leave my readers guessing… for a little while.

(1)There was no EdgeFest in Toronto in 2007.
(2)Look this up, it's true. Now I don't think the stuff tastes that bad, but it does work. One's mileage will vary, of course.
(3)In the original write of "Canadian Intervention", the distance did have an effect in that Harry did not have nightmares. I've reconsidered that opinion.
Sign up to rate and review this story