Categories > Games > Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic > How Others See Her

Part I - Carth Onasi

by ChibiRuka 2 reviews

A series of fics depicting Revan as each of the characters sees her. Lightside female Revan.

Category: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Bastila Shan, Canderous Ordo, Carth Onasi, Other - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2005-05-11 - Updated: 2005-05-11 - 1454 words

0Unrated
To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure what my first impression of Revan was. Not that I knew she was Revan when we first met. At that time, I only knew her as Kiranna Sunrider, and all I knew about her was that she was attached to Bastila's party, and whether she knew it or not, had some connection with the Jedi. She was also resourceful enough to make it past the Sith boarding party to the escape pods. I had watched her as she progressed through the ship. She and I were the last two survivors to leave the Spire.

In the crash landing on Taris, Kiranna had sustained a pretty nasty head injury. By some miracle, I was unhurt, so I got her out of the escape pod and found an abandoned apartment. I thought that was pretty convenient, but I wasn't about to complain.

I knew that without Kiranna, I wouldn't be able to get very far. I'm just a common soldier. It's true that I had been with the Republic navy for sixteen years. I had seen a lot of combat, done a lot of fighting, and had a lot of experience, but beyond fighting, I knew I wasn't good for much. I knew some alien languages-enough Huttese to ask where to find the bathroom, and enough Mandelorian to get me into a fistfight-but I had read Kiranna's service record and saw that not only could she fight, she understood a pretty remarkable number of alien languages. I knew I was lucky to have her.

I tended to her as much as my limited medical skills would allow. Being a soldier, I had first-aid training, but that was about as far as my medical expertise went. I was actually very worried about Kiranna. She spent the better part of two days completely unconscious. When she was conscious, she was delirious. I was worried that she might not recover, and it was more than knowing that without her, I'd be screwed. It didn't matter that she was a complete stranger. I didn't want to watch her die.

Somehow after two days, she pulled through. I was more than a little relieved that she had made it. She was confused and disoriented of course, although she seemed to get a handle on things quickly after I explained the situation to her. It didn't take long for her to agree to help me find Bastila.

I quickly learned that Kiranna was unlike any other woman I had ever met. When we went to look for information, she asked around and people were more than happy to tell her what they knew. She even managed to sweet-talk a young Sith soldier named Yun into inviting us to a party, which proved to be much more useful than we could imagine at the time. That party was the key to scoring us Sith uniforms, which were our ticket into the Lower City.

It was more than just her way with words and fighting skills that impressed me. When Kiranna saw someone that needed help, she offered it more than readily, even if it meant credits to pay off the local crime lord. Oddly enough, despite her generous donations, we never ended up missing those credits she gave away. I came to respect and deeply admire her.

It also struck me how she had a way of attracting people to her and inspiring their trust and loyalty. We met a young Twi'lek named Mission and her Wookie friend Zalbaar in Javyar's Cantina in the Lower City. Mission was helpful with information about the Lower City gangs, Davik, whatever we wanted to know, she was more than happy to fill us in about it. Somehow I knew we would see them again.

Kiranna was able to use some of the information we had gathered to speak to Gadon Thek, the leader of the Hidden Beks. He was happy to help us stir up trouble for the Vulkars. In talking to him, I knew I was right about Mission when he suggested that we find her and ask her to help us break into the Vulkar base. Kiranna made a quick friend of Gadon. She might have even earned the grudging respect of Gadon's Twi'lek bodyguard, Zaedra.

When we went to the Undercity to find Mission, we met a group of Outcasts. These people had been thrown into the Undercity for crimes that, when Rukil, the oldest member of the Outcast tribe explained the history of their little group, didn't really seem like crimes to me. Kiranna agreed to help Rukil find his "Promised Land," although I thought it had to be a myth. I didn't know if Kiranna believed in what the old man said, but she obviously figured that since we were going to be in the sewers anyway, we might as well look for Rukil's apprentice.

When I think of all that Kiranna did on Taris alone, how she went out of her way to help people when they needed her, how she bravely jumped into things headfirst, I have to wonder what possessed me to suddenly not trust her when I found out that she was Revan. When she and I returned from the Leviathan, we had a council of war with all the people that had decided to follow Kiranna: Mission, Zalbaar, Canderous, Jolee, Juhani, and the two droids, T3-M4 and HK-47. I watched as they all told her that who she was before made little difference to them.

Now that I look back at my own conflicted feelings, I wonder how I could have thought that Kiranna discovering she was Revan would have made any difference. HK-47 told her that she had changed from the Revan he knew . . . and not just in the way she acted. Something inside her fundamentally changed her into the person we know as Kiranna Sunrider.

Even when we went to Korriban, I don't think the Dark Side touched her. She might have used the Sith's own methods against them, but I thought that was more brilliant than anything. I was with her as she explored the tombs of the Sith lords, looking for artifacts that would get her enough prestige to get into the tomb of Naga Sadow with Uthar and Yuthura. While at times, I had thought she might be turning, she proved that she wasn't by killing both Uthar and Yuthura and taking on the entire Sith academy with just me and HK to back her up. Talk about courage.

She also managed to turn no less than half of the students at the academy away from the dark side . . . including my own son. I think of all she did . . . for me . . . for the galaxy . . . and I think it's no wonder that I fell in love with her.

And I did. At first, I tried to keep her at arm's length. I wouldn't tell her too much about my past . . . I deliberately tried to irritate her so I could keep her out. I had built a wall around myself when my wife died . . . when Saul betrayed us, but that wall couldn't keep Kiranna from getting under my skin.

And now . . . I can't even describe how I feel fo her. I watched her prove herself a hero over and over. I love her . . . possibly even more than I loved my wife, as much as I hate to admit it. I just-I don't want to talk about it anymore.

~Fin

A/N: This is the first part in a series of short stories depicting how the people accompanying Revan feel about her. I've used the name I used in the game as Revan's "alter-ego." I hope I'm keeping these in character, and if I'm not, feel free to whack me with a very heavy stick. I don't know if this has been done before, but I just thought it would be cool to explore how the other characters think of Revan. Carth's part is less structured than the other parts will be. I plan on focussing more on specific events in the game with the others.

Anyway, I'm sure you have better things to do than read my rambling. Reviews are the bread and butter of writers, so if you want to tell me what you think of this, please leave a review. Thanks ^_^ The other parts should come out shortly if they're as easy to write (and as short) as Carth's part was.
Sign up to rate and review this story