Categories > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Rosy Life

by ChibiRuka 4 reviews

Takes place after Sailormoon S. Haruka and Michiru have just been given baby Hotaru. Michiru thinks she's a gift from God. Haruka isn't so sure. Very short, but (hopefully) sweet.

Category: Sailor Moon - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters:  Saturn, Haruka (Uranus), Michiru (Neptune) - Published: 2005-05-11 - Updated: 2005-05-11 - 568 words - Complete

1Moving
I didn't know what to think when we were presented that tiny bundle in a blanket. Michiru said that it was a gift from God to us because we couldn't have children of our own. I didn't know if I was ready for such a responsibility. It's true that I drink and drive (not at the same time of course), and I'm only in tenth grade, but a baby...that's different.

Of course, I couldn't dissuade Michiru from taking baby Hotaru. She had it set in her mind that we should raise her, so grudgingly, I agreed. I knew it was pointless to argue with Michiru when she was set on something.

So now we're driving in my gold convertible. My favourite car. Michiru is in the passenger seat, holding Hotaru, who is sleeping peacefully for once. Michiru is watching her lovingly, and I can't help but give her a little smile, admitting that it's rather cute. I pull up in front of the café, and we get out, Michiru's skirt billowing about her ankles as the breeze tugs at it. The three of us walk in, me carrying the diaper bag. How is it that I Tenoh Haruka, genius racer am stuck carrying the diaper bag?
As the hostess seats us, she says to Michiru, "Your daughter looks so much like you!" I can't help but wonder how that is, seeing as Hotaru isn't Michiru's biological daughter and all.

"Well!" Michiru replies with a wide smile.

As we're seated and get our tea, I can feel the stares of just about everyone in the room on us. They're talking about how we're so young and how it's shameful that we have a baby. I can't believe them. It's not like I got Michiru pregnant! It's not like I wanted this in the first place! Their stares and their words hurt. I'm almost ashamed. Is this our punishment? Is this the price we have to pay for our sins? I wonder. Then I feel Michiru's gentle gaze on me.

"What's wrong, love?" she asks as she feeds Hotaru her bottle. I shoot a last irritated glance at an older couple that is not trying to hide the fact that they're staring at us, and I look to my love across from me. She looks so natural cradling Hotaru in her arms. She's smiling. She's happy.

I see Hotaru's little hands holding the bottle as Michiru feeds her and my gaze softens. I can't believe my selfishness. Michiru is happy because we have this chance...what will likely be our only chance to have a child, and I'm brooding because I think it's so unfair that we get this heavy responsibility pushed on us. I can't believe how childish I am.

I smile at my Michiru and our tiny daughter. Maybe she isn't ours biologically, but she was given to us to give her a second chance. A chance to live a good life. And we're the ones who get to give that to her. I realise that I should be glad. I should be happy and supportive, and I shouldn't care what other people think.

"Nothing," I reply tenderly. "Nothing at all."

~Fin
Sign up to rate and review this story