Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Story of Raphael

Chapter one

by lost_in_the_shuffle 1 review

This is the story of Raphael, an original character I created for a RPG. I'm putting it in the Harry Potter category, because of the HP references, although it could also be in Underworld. Raphael...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-06-04 - Updated: 2008-06-05 - 1710 words

-1TrainWreck
The woman straightened up quickly, looking toward the doorway in fear.
“Death Eaters!” Someone yelled, “raiding the village.”
She quickly grasped her young son, and ran to the back door. The village well was behind the house and she took the bucket, placing her son inside.
“Be a good boy Raphael,” she said as she lowered the bucket, “mama will come back for you soon.”
She had just finished lowering the bucket into the well, when the Death Eaters converged onto the village. She turned and ran, hoping to draw them away from her son. She managed to get halfway across the yard when a Death Eater pointed his wand at her, hitting her in the back with a killing spell.
She cried out once as the hex hit her, then fell to the ground, unmoving, her sightless eyes staring forward.

Hours passed and the Death Eaters left, their gory work done. Finally an older man named Samuel, came out of where he managed to hide, looking around in sadness at the carnage around him.
He began to shuffle forward, then stopped, hearing the crying of a child. He looked toward the well, and hurried to it, looking down inside.
When he saw the small boy, he quickly hauled the bucket up and took him in his arms.
“It seems we’re the only two left alive,” he said, carrying the boy so he couldn’t see the death and destruction around him.
He remembered seeing the little boy once, remembered his name was Raphael, but other then that he didn’t know him.
“It’ll be okay Raphael,” he said softly as he left the village carrying the boy, “I’ll protect you.”

The man took Raphael deep into the mountains, and stayed there, in fear that the Death Eaters would discover there were survivors from the village and come kill them. He became a father to the boy, a teacher, and a friend.
When Raphael got old enough, the man taught him how to use a sword and a knife. He taught him how to walk unseen and use the abilities given to him.
“You and I are the last of the Chai my son,” he would say, “never be ashamed of the blood you carry in your veins. Some call us abominations, but that we are not, we are strong.”
The years passed and Raphael grew into a strong man, then one day he went to wake Samuel as he did everyday and realized that the older man was dead.
He wept, feeling like he had lost his father all over again, then he buried the old man’s body. When he had finished, he took his few belongings and left the mountain cave where they had lived.
For the first time since he was a young boy, he went back and walked among humans, and lived as one of them.

For awhile he did odd jobs, things that no one else wanted to do, and survived the best he could. Until the day a well dressed man came to the pier where he was working.
“I’m looking for a strong, able bodied man,” he said, “whose willing to work with no questions asked.”
Raphael stepped forward, “I’m your man,” he said and the other man looked at him closely before nodding.
“You’ll do,” he said, “come with me.”
He led Raphael to a limousine, “my boss needs someone willing to do whatever needs to be done.” He said, staring at Raphael, “can you do that?”
“I don’t harm women or children,” Raphael said, and the man smiled. “Of course we don’t do that,” he said, “we’re not monsters.”
Raphael stared at the man for a moment, then nodded.
“Good,” the other man said, smiling wider.

Raphael was taken to a large mansion on the cities nicer side of town. There he was given a room and clothing, before told to rest.
He was given an assignment quickly, and soon became the favorite of the boss, because he did whatever he had to do to get the job done.
Finally the boss invited him to a party he was hosting, he was told that it was a reward for his hard work, but as he tugged at the collar of his shirt, he wondered if it was a punishment instead.
He walked into the ballroom, feeling out of place, when a tinkle of laughter made him turn. Right behind him was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen in his life and he just stared at her.
She caught his eye and stopped laughing, staring at him. Finally he got his feet to move and he walked toward her, smiling.
“I’m Raphael,” he said softly and she stared up at him and smiled. “I’m Arica,” she said. He started to say more when the boss came up putting his arm around the woman.
“I see you’ve met my daughter,” he said.
“Nice to meet you,” Raphael said, backing away, he turned and started walking through the crowd, but he could feel her stare as he did.

Raphael went for a job and came back to find Arica waiting for him.
“You shouldn’t be here,” he said, “your father is my boss, nothing good could come of this.”
“I needed to see you again,” Arica said quietly, “I don’t know why, but I couldn’t get you out of my mind.”
“I feel the same way,” Raphael whispered, “but if your father found out, he would kill me.”
Arica nodded, “I’m sorry,” she said, “I’ll leave.”
Raphael took two steps forward, pushing her against the wall.
“Please don’t,” he whispered and kissed her softly.

Arica and Raphael fell in love that day, a fact they hid from everyone. They knew if her father found out, that he would be killed. They had precious stolen moments together, that they would always cherish, but both knew deep in their hearts would never last.
Finally one day Arica came to Raphael, with news that would change their lives forever.
“I’m pregnant,” she told him, and for a moment Raphael looked at her in horror.
“You’re unhappy,” she cried, backing away from him in tears and he shook his head, gathering her into his arms.
“No,” he said, “I’m happy, but afraid. What will your father do to you when he finds out you carry my child in your womb.”
Arica looked up at him, and smiled.
“I don’t care,” she said, “let him find out.”
Raphael kissed her softly, “marry me.” He said, “tonight.”
“Yes,” she said hugging him.

Raphael came back for her that night, but they never got a chance. Arica was betrayed, by the one person she thought she could trust. Her maid, Nellie.
“I bring you into my home,” the boss said, “into my buisness and this is how you repay me? By infecting my daughter with your tainted blood. Bewitching her into loving you, then impregnating her with a monster.”
He stared at Arica who stood there in tears.
“I will not have it,” he said softly, before taking out a gun and shooting her in the stomach.
“NO!” Raphael screamed, as she crumbled onto the floor, one hand clutching her stomach.
“You son of a bitch,” he yelled, trying to get to the boss.
“Better then being a hybrid,” the boss said calmly as his goons put a silver collar on Raphael’s neck.
‘Take him to the basement,” he ordered, “I’ll deal with him later.”
Raphael cursed and screamed, trying to get loose. He looked back as he was dragged away, and caught one last glimpse of the woman he loved, lying on the floor.

He was thrown into the basement, the silver collar weakening him, making it impossible for him to change. He tried, and failed, then sat on the floor, weeping for his love and the child that would never be born.

Finally after hours, the door creaked open, and Pamela, Arica’s mother came into the basement.
“Come to gloat at the monster?” He asked staring at her and she shook her head, before taking out a ring of keys.
“I’ve come to set him free,” she said, and Raphael stared at her in surprise.
“Why?” He asked, and she stared at him for a moment.
“Because, Arnold stole my life,” she said, “and tonight he just killed the only good thing in it.”
Raphael closed his eyes, her words confirming what he had still been denying in his heart. Arica was dead, and with her their child.
Finally she unlocked his collar and helped him up.
“Thank you,” he said, and she nodded.
“The guards are gone,” she said, then walked away.
Raphael looked at her for a moment, then realized what she was saying. The boss, was alone and a chance for revenge had been given to him.
Quietly he snuck up the stairs, to the large rooms that belonged to the boss. He walked in, and looked down at the bed, at the sleeping form of the man who had ruined his life.
“Arnold,” he said softly, and the boss woke up, looking at him in surprise.
“How?” He asked and Raphael smiled.
“I have my ways,” he said, his eyes changing.
The boss screamed and tried to get to the gun on the table, but Raphael changed quickly and lunged for his throat, tearing it out.
For a moment, after he had killed the boss, he stood there, staring at what he had done. Then he turned, walking out of the room and out of the mansion forever.


A year passed and he was contacted by the people who knew what kind of work he did.
“There’s a job for you,” he was told.
“What’s the job?” Raphael asked.
“A kidnaping case,” came the answer. “A man’s wife was taken, and his son was killed trying to get her back. He needs someone with your abilities to rescue her.”
“I’ll take it,” Raphael said quietly, “where’s she been taken.”
“Malfoy manor,” came the answer.....
TO BE CONTINUED, AS THE STORY DOES.
Sign up to rate and review this story