Categories > Original > Romance

Things Aren't Always What They Seem

by xXChemicalDreamingXx 0 reviews

Catriona's day turns out to be a lot better than she expected.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2008-06-07 - Updated: 2008-06-08 - 1048 words

0Unrated
She suddenly awoke as some heavy books slammed on the desk, just inches away from her head. It was Sarah. Catriona noticed she had that look of anger and confusion again. What was it now?

"What's wrong, Sarah?" She said in a fed up and uncaring tone as she sat up in her chair and stretched her arms out in front of her. Sarah looked at Catriona for a few seconds before sighing and slumping down in the chair next to her.

“Well, last night, I called Daddy to ask him if I could get the iPhone that came out, ‘cause it’s the best phone there is and everyone wants one. I mean, c’mon it’s just the best! And you know what he said? He said no! How dare he say no? What have I done wrong? It’s not as if he even lives with us! The least he could do is give me a new phone!” Catriona arched her eyebrow and sighed in frustration.

“Sarah, you do realise you just got a new phone a couple months ago, right?” Sarah looked at her as if she’d just told her to go fuck herself.

“Catriona! Whose side are you on? And yeah, I did get a new phone a couple months ago, but that doesn’t mean I deserve…” Before she could finish, Sarah was rudely interrupted by the school bell, telling them that it was time for them to go off to their first class of the day. “Urgh! We’ll finish this at break, ok?”

“Yeah, whatever,” Catriona replied rather coldly as she grabbed her bag and walked out the door. As she walked along the crowded corridors, Catriona thought about why she was even friends with Sarah. She wasn’t nice, she wasn’t friendly, she was compassionate, she was selfish, she was arrogant, she was stereotypical, she was shallow, she was hypocritical. She was everything Catriona hated. Was it time to move on?

So caught up in thinking about her so called “best-friend”, Catriona wasn’t looking where she was going and walked straight into someone, knocking their books and notes all over the floor. She quickly awoke from her dream-like state and started picking up the books and notes as fast as she could.

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry! I was in a dream, I wasn’t looking where I was going, I’m sorry!” After picking up all the books and notes she could find, Catriona looked up at the person she walked into. It was Mike. Mike, the guy Catriona had been in love with ever since she first saw him. He smiled and laughed softly.

“Hey, it’s ok, I do the same sometimes, don’t worry about it,” Catriona couldn’t say anything. She was mesmerized. This was the first time Mike had ever noticed her, she was just in shock that he was actually talking to her. “Helloo?” He waved at her, trying to get her to talk to him.

“Oh! Sorry!” Embarrassed and blushing, she looked to the floor.

“There you go off again,” he said jokingly, “Urm… Can I have my books back?”

“Oh, yeah, sure, sorry!” She quickly handed over the books to him and again, looked to the ground.

“You sure do apologise a lot. You really shouldn’t, you know. It’s a sign of weakness… Or so they say. I don’t believe in that kinda stuff. I find it pretty stupid to be honest,” He leaned closer to her, “But shh, don’t tell anyone!” He laughed and started walking away. Catriona closed her eyes and took a deep breath in to calm her down after Mike talking actually talking to her. She just couldn’t believe it.

After a few minutes of breathing in and out and getting back to normal, Catriona started walking to her first class. She hated being late for classes because it meant she had to walk in with everyone watching her and asking her why she was late and what she was doing. Being an extremely shy person, Catriona just hated anything to do with being in front of a large group of people, or any group of people for that matter. It wasn’t so bad when Catriona had a friend with her, but sadly, Catriona only had 1 friend. And by the end of the day, she might not even have any.

She finally got to the door of the English classroom and took in on last deep breath before entering. Opening the door slowly, she peered her head around it to see how embarrassing it would be. To her surprise, there were only 2 people in the class.

“Where is everyone?” She said under her breath.

“Fancy seeing you here,” said a voice coming from behind her. Immediately, Catriona knew it was Mike. She could tell his voice anywhere. As she spun around to look at him, he walked forward and the two collided, Catriona bashing her head on Mike’s chin.

“Ow!” They both said in unison, before looking at each other and laughing whilst rubbing their face.

“Do you know why no one’s here?” Catriona quietly spoke apprehensively, worrying that he would think she was a total nerd.

“Well, probably because most people take the day off on a holiday,” he smiled at her and walked passed her into the room, sitting on a nearby seat. Catriona looked confused, so turned around and followed him before standing in front of him with her arms crossed.

“It’s a holiday?” She asked in surprise. Mike closed his eyes and nodded, his arms also crossed. “But, then, why are you here?”

“The sad truth is… I had nowhere else to go. But,” he quickly looked at his watch, “I think I’m gonna be getting out of here in a few minutes, then my parents’ll be out of the house and I can do whatever I want.”

“Oh… Sounds fun,” she smiled, “I guess I better go home them. Was nice talking to you… Have fun at home.” She turned around and walked out of the door as fast as she could, just so that she wouldn’t ruin the happiest moment in her life.
Sign up to rate and review this story