Categories > TV > Angel

Lockley's Girl

by Alienist 1 review

Kate Lockley copes, because that's what she does. Songfic.

Category: Angel - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst - Characters: Kate Lockley - Published: 2008-06-14 - Updated: 2008-06-15 - 490 words - Complete

-1Boring
Notes: Everybody's Talkin' was written by Harry Nilsson. Several lines of dialogue were taken from the show.


"Now, let's go over the crime scene again…"

She recounts every detail, because she sat there for hours after he left, after the despair eased enough to let her see through it. She does not speak of the marks on his neck, the dust on his clothes, the money stained with blood.

"You should take some time off, Kate."

She knows what grief is. She knows what isolation is. She tells them she can handle it in as few words as she can.

"Haven't got him yet, huh?"

She shakes her head, and agrees that they'll catch the bastards, and knows that justice will never be served, only vengeance and ashes.

Everybody's talking at me
I don't hear a word they're saying
Only the echoes of my mind


She looks at them, and she speaks to them, but their voices come from a distance, a gaping chasm she cannot cross, and eventually they stop trying to rebuild burned bridges.

"We were friends. I thought you were different."

She is left to her nightmares and her retribution, and it is just as well because she should bear them on her own.

He taught her how to be alone.

People stopping staring
I can't see their faces
Only the shadows of their eyes


She is not Lockley's girl anymore. She is not the lady cop. She is not the success story.

"It's such a shame."

She is the obsessed, the morbid, the pitied.

"You're ruining yourself, Kate."

She sits alone, eats alone, works alone. She investigates in ways no one comprehends. She gives herself a reputation

"Send the case to Scully, she likes the weird ones."

She ignores their furtive glances and hushed charges because they don't matter; nothing matters but making things right.

He taught her how to be an outcast.

I'm going where the sun keeps shining
Through the pouring rain
Going where the weather suits my clothes


She knows that this work is thankless. She knows that no one will sympathise, no one will believe, no one will understand.

"My father was human, and you don’t know anything about that."

She is tired of cases that are never solved, closure that is never given, violence that is never ceased, cruelty that is never punished. She will separate herself from them, to fight a war they will never know.

"You people have no idea what's going on in this city."

She knows that it is a battle that will never end.

Backing off of the North East wind
Sailing on summer breeze
And skipping over the ocean like a stone


She knows that it is worth it, and that one day, she will make a difference.

"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

He taught her how to sacrifice, and his will not be in vain.
Sign up to rate and review this story